Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 38

Author Topic: "FXR CHATTER"  (Read 120239 times)

fxr4mikey

• Elite CVO Member
Re: "FXR CHATTER"
« Reply #450 on: February 12, 2009, 07:56:36 AM »

Yesterday I was poking around on another site that I visit ..... low and behold, I came across an on thread that I started and found a reply in there from someone that I've since met here, and have become very good friends with !!

Yep, it's true, our very own Tim !!  He replied to me there about 1.5 years ago, and we only bumped into each other there ..... since then, and after becoming a member here, Tim and I have become very good friends !!!  Funny to look back and see that we had had an exchange that long ago :-)

AND, AND, we weren't even talking about BOLTS !!!!!!!!!  WHAT's UP WITH DAT  :nixweiss: :nixweiss: :nixweiss:

:huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2:
2000 FXR4 Candy Tangerine
The Build -
•   SE Heads w/Cometic .030 gaskets
•   Bob Wood W6 cam
•   Mikuni HSR42 carb
•   Compu-Fire Single Fire Ignition
•   Rivera taper-lite chromolly adjustable push rods
•   Chrome lifter blocks w/HD B lifters
•   Pro-Force One AC and breather kit
•   Vance and Hines straight shots

fxr4mikey

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #451 on: February 12, 2009, 07:58:00 AM »

need some hlep

putting her back together .....

on the timing rotor ....... I can't find any specs on the torque value for the bolt that holds the rotor in place ..... I looked in the SM....

anyone know of anything ??  or just snug it up 

:nixweiss: :nixweiss: :nixweiss:

THANKS !!!
The Build -
•   Bob Wood W6 cam
•   Mikuni HSR42 carb

Black Diamond

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 11 FLHXSE2 "Vanessa"
    • CVO2: 08 FLHRSE4 "Lexi" "Bike from Hell"
    • CVO3: 02 FLHRSEI "Ruby"
« Reply #452 on: February 12, 2009, 09:34:27 AM »

Checked my 84 SM which states "Rotor bolt 43-48 in-lbs"

JW

fxr4mikey

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #453 on: February 12, 2009, 09:41:53 AM »

Checked my 84 SM which states "Rotor bolt 43-48 in-lbs"

JW

A BIG THANK YOU JW !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The Build -
•   Bob Wood W6 cam
•   Mikuni HSR42 carb

Black Diamond

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 11 FLHXSE2 "Vanessa"
    • CVO2: 08 FLHRSE4 "Lexi" "Bike from Hell"
    • CVO3: 02 FLHRSEI "Ruby"
« Reply #454 on: February 12, 2009, 09:43:46 AM »

Glad to help. I'm enjoying following your build. One day I'm going to try to do it myself!
Tend to break most things I touch.  ;D
JW

skreminegul07

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • MA

• CVO1: 2017 Indian Chieftain Limited
« Reply #455 on: February 12, 2009, 10:01:39 AM »

Had to print that in caps huh  >:( ... ;D

Yep, you got it; Fork oil is next for the fluid changes.......................I'll be calling ya....Oh yea....you can count on that...See BOLD highlight in your above quote  :2vrolijk_21:  ;D

Thanks again man for all your help...Send The "Z" Man my Regards

Oh...BTW... Did ya know when you replace the O-ring gasket PN: 25416-99 for the primary/clutch cover, HD is now selling you PN: 25416-99C in it's place. As 99 is really just one big rubber O-ring; 99-C is a one piece paper type gasket the entire size of the primary/clutch cover with 5 holes in the gasket which line up with the bolt holes. the inner side of the gasket has a protruded ring of some type of gasket material which fits and lines up inside the original O-ring groove...The only reason I know is I originally put the original O-ring back in after changing the fluid but noticed it leaking at 6:00 the next day. So I pull the cover back off and sure enough I had jammed the O-ring up at the bottom when putting it back in and it was leaking slightly (like a slow oooze). So anyway I put this new gasket on and WAAALAH...Good ta go.

That big paper O ring replacement is the same for all the big twins.  My 2007 RK had the same. Its fairly easy to use, just clean the cover and case so you don't see old seepage from left over oil. 
Any day on the bike is a good day.

fxr4mikey

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #456 on: February 12, 2009, 10:28:14 AM »

need stubby hex drivers ? maybe consider some of these

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...7477000P?mv=rr

or, instead of buying that 'set' just get the straight one, and use it with the attachments that come in the set shown in the next link

and if you couple that with this .... I just might have something that I can use, and for more than just working on the bike ... seems that I often have need of these types of tools

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00941111000P

or get these

http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INPDFF?P...PARTPG=INLMK32
The Build -
•   Bob Wood W6 cam
•   Mikuni HSR42 carb

fxr4mikey

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #457 on: February 12, 2009, 10:33:26 AM »

That big paper O ring replacement is the same for all the big twins.  My 2007 RK had the same. Its fairly easy to use, just clean the cover and case so you don't see old seepage from left over oil. 

ya know, or so I've been told, and I subscribe to this, and have never had a leak problem with my derby cover

the derby cover takes a 'set' after it's been mounted on the case.  Any time you REMOVE the derby cover, you need to put it back with the SAME ORIENTATION that it had before.  So whatever bolt hole was at 12 o'clock, should go back in that same position. 

Like I said, I've never had a leak problem here ... and I use the same gasket 4 or 5 times without replacing it, no problems, no sealant on the gasket either 
The Build -
•   Bob Wood W6 cam
•   Mikuni HSR42 carb

fxr4mikey

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #458 on: February 12, 2009, 11:47:14 AM »

now that my bike is 'OPEN' ........ it would be a PERFECT time to install some chrome braided oil lines .......

anybody got a lead on a source for those for the FXR4  ??????????

Thanks,
Mikey

here's the source from Dennis Kirk, with pics ... maybe next time it comes apart ....  I just don't feel like going anther 150 bucks right now, and I'm not sure it's the look I want, would like to see them on a bike

http://www.denniskirk.com/1/1/157787-russell-oil-line-kit-r50007.html
The Build -
•   Bob Wood W6 cam
•   Mikuni HSR42 carb

elvislee

« Reply #459 on: February 12, 2009, 12:20:39 PM »

Yep Phil...As I said, I put the stock O-ring back on and somehow didn't get it to seat right in the groove and it seeped slowly so I got the new one on and that baby lined right up with no seepage or leaking yet; for me the new one was a lot simpler to use :2vrolijk_21:
« Last Edit: February 12, 2009, 12:23:53 PM by elvislee »

elvislee

« Reply #460 on: February 12, 2009, 12:22:55 PM »

Hey Mikey..My eyes are rough man; even with my glasses I'm having a hard time determining if that jack you have your bike on is a Craftsman or not? If it is what is the model number and price if I can ask?  :2vrolijk_21:.................Way ta clean them bolts man; were PROUD of ya Mikey  :D ;D :zroflmao:
« Last Edit: February 12, 2009, 02:49:09 PM by elvislee »

RedFXR2

« Reply #461 on: February 12, 2009, 01:06:09 PM »

here's the source from Dennis Kirk, with pics  [chrome braided oil lines)... maybe next time it comes apart ....  I just don't feel like going anther 150 bucks right now, and I'm not sure it's the look I want, would like to see them on a bike

http://www.denniskirk.com/1/1/157787-russell-oil-line-kit-r50007.html

I'd probably go with these, myself, but I'd like to know if you can shaped them to look like they belong there instead of just running kinda willy-nilly between two points.

https://www.phatperformanceparts.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=G-OIL-KITS

elvislee

« Reply #462 on: February 12, 2009, 02:45:59 PM »

I'd probably go with these, myself, but I'd like to know if you can shaped them to look like they belong there instead of just running kinda willy-nilly between two points.

https://www.phatperformanceparts.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=G-OIL-KITS

OK...So I understand the couplings on these braided lines are designed to replace the rubber lines. When the rubber hoses/lines are removed are there male threaded studs of some sort the braided couplings will screw onto or are there other modifications to the oil tank and such required for the braided lines to actually screw onto?  I guess what I'm asking is if the bikes came stock designed already to accept a female coupling but Harley just decided to use the rubber lines instead and just clamped the hoses on.  :nixweiss: If this is a dumb question then so be it  ;D

RedFXR2

« Reply #463 on: February 12, 2009, 03:08:05 PM »

It appears that there are threaded couplings at the oil pump and tank onto which rubber hoses are simply clamped--no threaded couplings on the hoses from stock, anyway.  My understanding of the couplings shown from Goodridge is that they are sort of like a compression fitting--not threaded to accept the existing pipe fittings on the bike, but using threads internal to the coupling to compress the rubber tubing around the threaded end of the existing coupling.

Did I use the word "coupling" enough? ;D

Clear as mud? ;D

Actually, two of the Goodridge hoses have threaded fittings on one end--I'm guessing those are for the tank end.

And yes, I think HD just decided to use plain hoses and clamps instead of anything threaded.

I would guess that there's not enough oil pressure there (Evo) to much worry about oil lines blowing loose or leaking, so the plain rubbertubing and clamps work fine.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2009, 03:14:03 PM by RedFXR2 »

elvislee

« Reply #464 on: February 12, 2009, 03:14:21 PM »

It appears that there are threaded couplings at the oil pump and tank onto which rubber hoses are simply clamped--no threaded couplings on the hoses from stock, anyway.  My understanding of the couplings shown from Goodridge is that they are sort of like a compression fitting--not threaded to accept the existing pipe fittings on the bike, but using threads internal to the coupling to compress the rubber tubing around the threaded end of the existing coupling.

Did I use the word "coupling" enough? ;D

Clear as mud? ;D

And yes, I think HD just decided to use plain hoses and clamps instead of anything threaded.

I would guess that there's not enough oil pressure there (Evo) to much worry about oil lines blowing loose or leaking, so the plain rubbertubing and clamps work fine.

Gotcha, and yes; CLEAR as mud  ;D...See, you guys start talking all this crap I never thought of and now ya got me looking at these damn things...Ya'll gotta stop this crap man; YOUR KILLING ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ;D But then if I listened to Howie; I'd have to sell tha kids  ;D
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 38

Page created in 0.173 seconds with 21 queries.