Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All

Author Topic: Show Off (us) your Toy Hauler setup  (Read 10286 times)

LETS_ROLL

• 1K CVO Member
  • If you're happy and you know it, Punch the Clown!!
Show Off (us) your Toy Hauler setup
« on: May 15, 2018, 04:59:08 PM »

I know RGlideKid posted a "whatcha Tow", let's make this the Toy Hauler version😜😜.

I'm starting to plan for retirement and curious of what members of the forum have.  What's your set up?
Motorhome w/ built in garage, motorhome or truck w/ 5th wheel or bumper pull toy hauler. We are planning on a truck with 5th wheel.

We have the truck, F-350 power stroke ( not dually), so it will pull, just not a super heavy TH.  My wife just retired, so we're a couple of steps short.  Missing a TH and me retiring😂😂. 
I know a few things we would need like,
a garage big enough for 2 baggers,
King size bed😜,
Nice size bathroom (2 would be nice),
Big fridge...
We're not planning on full timing but, plan on being away from home for a while.  Our family is spread all across the states.

So, post a couple of pics of your setups. Write a couple of things you really like about it (can't do without) and maybe some things you wish you had or will be sure to get/have on the next one when or if you upgrade.            Ride safe, Let's Roll

LET'S ROLL
2009 FLTRSE3
2011 FLHXSE2

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
Re: Show Off (us) your Toy Hauler setup
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2018, 07:33:17 PM »

Interesting topic Gabe.

You know what I have, you've been in it......    https://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=111630.0

But just a couple of comments.  What make, model and year is your truck?  That will determine a lot as the late model trucks have higher towing capacity.  Dodge and Ford both have a higher tow rating than the GM products in the 1 ton class.

There's a lot to consider (especially with a SRW) when it comes to toyhaulers, besides floor plan.  ie.  loaded tongue weight, double axle or triple axle, a "true" all seasons vs one that claims "arctic pkg." of some other mumble jumbo (is the underside completely enclosed and heated by the furnace to keep your plumbing from freezing should it drop below freezing, etc.  You'll use it more months out of the year if you're comfortably warm in it vs. those model of toyhaulers that feel like a meat locker).   An on board (built in) gas generator means you'll have a gas station on board, also.  A portable generator you always have to move it, think about security when you're away from your rig, etc.

These are a few things that come to mind right away.  If I think of more things that should be considered, I'll post up.
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

LETS_ROLL

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2018, 08:18:57 PM »

JC, figured you'd be in here soon enough.  When we met in FL I picked your brain a bit and yes these are all good topics and you did mention them.  We still have a while till we're ready to buy but I figured start getting some info.  Thanks again.

We have a 2016 F-350 (srw) diesel power stroke.

Let's Roll
LET'S ROLL
2009 FLTRSE3
2011 FLHXSE2

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2018, 08:52:58 PM »

Here's a link to the Momentum floor plans (all Momentums are toy haulers).  The lightest UVW looks to be the 328M.  All Momentums come with everything I mentioned above.

If you click on each floor plan then on Specs, you can see what the tongue weight is.  Keep in mind that when weights are posted, that's RVs that are weighed at the factory, so no batteries, no water (8.34 lbs. per gallon adds up real fast) in the holding tank, no gas in the on board gas station, empty holding tanks, etc.  So when it's set up to actually use you add all that weight plus food, dishes, clothes, tools, etc. and it adds up real quick.  My 5th wheel weighs 21,020 lbs. loaded with my bike, but mine is six feet longer than the 328M.

https://www.granddesignrv.com/showroom/2019/toy-hauler/momentum/floorplans

There are others on this forum that have some nice toyhaulers, lookin forward to seeing what they got.  :2vrolijk_21:

Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

Joel

• 1K CVO Member
    • WA

• CVO1: 2015 CVO LIMITED
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2018, 09:29:43 PM »

Are you doing new or used. I ask because many places won't allow motor homes or trailers on their site if they're 10 years old or older so keep that in mind.
Always keep 2 feet away from your shadow

LETS_ROLL

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2018, 11:17:14 AM »

I've looked at the momentum one they are to if the line very nice and yes the weight probably an issue. They are well built with all the goodies so on the heavier side of the scale.  Might end up with a different one, but definitely will look at them first. Thinking in buying a used one. There's lots of mark up on those things.  Let's Roll
LET'S ROLL
2009 FLTRSE3
2011 FLHXSE2

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2018, 02:52:33 PM »

There are people on the forum and on the fb page that are pulling that 328M with a SRW and hauling two Harleys......just an FYI.

Also, I would suggest buying used also, let somebody else take the hit.  I bought mine from private party when it was six months old....still had factory warranty and 7 year extended warranty.   :2vrolijk_21:   Of course the factory warranty has expired now.

West Coast GTG   

Dan_Lockwood

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2018, 12:50:39 PM »

So what's up with the 10 year old limitation at parks etc?

I'm going to be retiring in approximately 596 days, 5 hours and on the fly around 11 minutes.  And I will be looking for a used setup to haul around.  I've found a few that are in the '06 to '08 vintage that have less than 20k miles on them and they are in great shape.

So if the 10 year limit is enforced, how do you check if you just see a park late in the day and decide to stop by?

I know they don't want any rif-raf in their parks, but I've never heard of a year age limit.  Although to be fair, I've not done this kind of thing since around '78 thru '80.

Thanks.
Dan

2009 SERG Orange / Black
Board Track Racer Project, Ultima 113"/6spd
2021 Coleman UT400 Side By Side

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2018, 03:58:26 PM »

Dan that's private owned RV parks, not national parks or state campgrounds, Army Corps of Engineer Parks, or BLM areas.  Almost all modern RV parks have that rule however, my observation is that it's rarely enforced if the RV has been well maintained.  I think it's a policy to keep out low lifes and homeless types, etc.

I've saw some very nice RVs that are 15-20 yrs. old even a few restored classics from the 60s that are in better shape (appearance wise) than some RVs that we've saw that are only 5-8 yrs. old.  When we were at International RV Park in Daytona Beach a couple of months ago, there was a Momentum like ours (2016 was the first year of our model) that looked like it was already 10 yrs. old and had never been washed or waxed in that ten years.  I can only imagine the deferred maintenance on that unit.

West Coast GTG   

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2018, 04:02:28 PM »

I'm going to be retiring in approximately 596 days, 5 hours and on the fly around 11 minutes. 

Thanks.

:huepfenlol2: :nervous: :P :huepfenlol2:    I  Just re-read this.  It seems like it was forever ago but really wasn't that long ago that I kept that kind of countdown.  Thought I was the only one.

West Coast GTG   

Designflaw

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • KY

• CVO1: 2017 CVO Street Glide
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2018, 04:43:13 PM »

Interesting topic. My wife is against a trailer or 5th wheel.  With that much house behind you she wants to be able to use it while moving. Also done a little bit of the math and to get a decent 5th wheel and a decent truck you can have a pretty nice driver.

So.....

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

2017 FLHXSE CVO Sunburst Orange/Starfire Black
Performance: HP 99 TQ 121
Stage II = HD Torque Cam SE8-447
Rinehart Slimline, 4" Cans
HD Tuner w/ Wideband module
Screaming Eagle Front Fork internals, Tuned Rear

Appearance:
Blacking out all chrome and bolts. (Work in progress)
Custom color matched carbon fiber parts
HD Passing Lamps and LED lamps

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2018, 06:00:30 PM »

Interesting topic. My wife is against a trailer or 5th wheel.  With that much house behind you she wants to be able to use it while moving. Also done a little bit of the math and to get a decent 5th wheel and a decent truck you can have a pretty nice driver.

So.....

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

We were originally looking at class A diesel pushers and we spent a couple of years shopping.  The more we looked, the more we learned.  So I'll just share some things that we learned along the way.  Are you going to spend more time going down the road or more time set up and enjoying it?  Are you more concerned with other's comfort (assuming you're in the driver's seat), going down the road or everybody's comfort once you're set up? 

Those questions aside....a 5th wheel has more storage than other RVs....especially if it's a toyhauler.  You have taller ceilings in a 5th wheel than you do in any motorized RV (class A, B or C).  In several models of 5th wheels you have three separate living areas (living room, kitchen/dining and bedroom) in motorized RVs you only have two (the living room, kitchen and dining area are all together).  Some makes/models of toyhaulers the garage area has both A/C with heatpump as well as furnace (propane) heat and in some cases they're not even being used as a toyhauler but as a second bedroom, office or kids playroom.  And the ramp door then becomes a patio deck that's enclosed by a fence all the way around it (no motorized RV has that option).  Also, with a motorized unit, when you have mechanical problems you've lost your transportation and your home.  With a TT (travel trailer) or 5th wheel, if your truck is in the shop you still have your RV to stay in.  Not many things to go wrong with a TT or 5th wheel that it needs to stay in a shop if you're on the road.

Look at the Grand Design Momentum line.....they are all true all seasons RV (many mfg. claim to be or use terminology that would make you think they are, such as "arctic package" but their plumbing is not in enclosed heated space, for instance). 

In the second post above I provided a link to pics of my Momentum.....have your wife take a look at them.  Find a dealership close to you that sales Grand Design and go look at their Momentum and Solitude lines.

West Coast GTG   

Para Bellum

• Si vis pacem, para bellum.
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '07 Canyon Copper FXSTSSE, '08 Crystal Copper SEUC
    • CVO2: '11 Slate/Blk SERGU, '18 Twisted Cherry RGU
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2018, 03:16:06 AM »

Some states allow passengers to be in the "5er" while moving.  From [urlhttp://traveltips.usatoday.com/rv-5th-wheel-laws-111797.html][/url]:
Passenger Restrictions
As a general rule, passengers are not allowed to travel in a fifth-wheel trailer while it is being towed, but 21 states do allow it, including California, New York and Pennsylvania. Restrictions apply, however, usually stipulating that there must be one unlocked exit that can be opened from inside or outside, or that passengers must be over 14 years old. Some states require that safety glass be fitted in windows of trailers carrying passengers, and that all passengers wear seat belts.

I had a 34 foot Class A motor home.  Anytime the coach (living area) or the motor/chassis had to be worked on, we were without both our home and our transportation (unless we were towing a vehicle, which we often did).  With a 5er, you still have one or the other available, and when you reach your destination, you can unhitch the truck and use it for local travel.

The 5ers also give more living space than an equivalent sized motorized unit.
If you want peace, prepare for war.

Indenial

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 SE Road Glide
    • States Riden on 2009 CVO
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2018, 04:19:37 PM »

Good info for us "dreamers".  Tell us more about the tow vehicle. Sounds like you need a 1-ton at minimum.  What about single vs dually?  And what are the 450's 550's I see on the road?
I just finished the pile of junk I needed to work on before I get to the stuff I should be doing----

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2018, 06:40:48 PM »

Even if you have a lighter toyhauler, a dually handles better in bad weather (wind, rain) as well as in curves, the mountains, etc. 

The weights of an RV are the weights as they leave the factory so you add batteries, water, gas (in the on board gas station), clothes, food, dishes, motorcycle(s), tools, equipment and supplies, etc. bumps your weight up way more than most people might think.  I have a 2014 F-350 dually, FX-4, Longbed, Lariet, crewcab and I was still over weight by 1,020 lbs.

The F-450 is the same motor, tranny, rear end but has a bit wider stance, beefed up suspension and surprisingly, has a tighter turning radius than the F-350.  That can come in real handy in some of the state and national parks or older RV parks where things are a little tighter.

All three brands.....the later model trucks have a heavier weight and tow capacity than they did 8-10 yrs. ago.  The pickup boxes are generally a little bigger, also.

West Coast GTG   
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All

Page created in 0.318 seconds with 26 queries.