Custom Vehicle Discussions > 1999 FXR2/1999 FXR3/2000 FXR4

FXR HISTORY

<< < (3/62) > >>

Hoist!:
Last one.

Hoist! 8)

FXR2evo99:
I will keep this open incase something needs to be added here...

WELL I FINALLY FOUND SOMETHING TO POST AND UPDATE!!!

JUNE 2013 HOT BIKE MAGAZINE  PAGE 36-40
THE SAGA OF THE FXR

A BUEL'S ERRAND

Most conversations about the FXR tend to treat the Harley's Holy Grail, and when it was launched, that was true.  Like the old King Arthur legend though, the pat to this sacred object was fraught with peril.  As Bob LeRoy once said:

"Instead of heavy castings, the FXR frame had a lot of welded-steel parts.  This was before the era of robotic welding, so it all had to be assembled by hand. It was expensive and difficult to manufacture."

Erik Buell, whose input was instrumental in the FXR's development, let HOT BIKE pick his brain about the development process.

Here was the following Q/A:

WHAT WAS THE OVERAL GOAL IN DESIGNING THE FXR GOING IN?
EB:  The FXR was planned to be the FX derivative of the FLT, just as the FX was the FL.   However the FLT was so odd because of it's frame geometry that a new frame was designed with a similar mount system to the FLT.

HOW DID YOU GET INVOLVED WITH THE FXR?
EB:  I was initially involved in testing the chassis and making it work.
When I got there it had very bad handling.
At that time, H-D Engineering and product planning were trying to improve H-D quality, to modernize the product line because it fell so short of the competition in every way and sales were dropping.  So they were listening to the engineering group.

WHAT WOULD YOU HAVE DONE DIFFERENTLY ABOUT THE DESIGN?
EB:  Me?
I just worked there and did my best to make what they wanted to work as well as I could.
Y'all ought to know by now that big cruisers are not what I like.
I think we made it a lot better than any H-D before.
How would I do a performance cruiser?
Well the would likely will never know!
Well maybe Ed Burke from Yamaha and a few others do, but that's a different story.

WHAT WAS THE GREATEST DIFFICULTY DESIGNING IT?
EB:  AGAIN, I DID NOT DESIGN IT;
I was involved in the re-design.  Initially it handled much wrse than even the FX.  
It wobbled almost continuously around the old Bendix proving grounds.  
You would have to have been there to realize how bad.  Within the constraints we had on size, style, appearance, it was really hard to make it work.
There was a lot of cool things done to make it as good as it became, but they were not evident to the eye.  
To figure out how to fix it, first we had to what was wrong.  
We had some theories, but the biggest thing I did was to design a bunch of data collection equipment that allowed us to understand which of the simultaneous equations that were in play were the dominant ones and to quickly evaluate the value of fixes.

WHAT DO YOU LIKE MOST ABOUT THE FXR?
EB:  The handling.
We really did get it quite good for such a big bike.  
In my opinion, it also had clean styling lines that I liked on a cruiser.
If it had weighted 150 pounds less and been 10 inches shorter, I woulda liked it more.

WHAT WAS YOUR PART IN ITS GENESIS?
EB:  More than anything I became the voice and push of the other guys working on it who wanted to make it work.
I brought the intensity and skills of a sport bike / AMA expert rider and a passion to make things right.  
I pushed really hard to fix it, both vocally and then by following up proving the fixes worked by building test equipment
and procedures, measuring competitors to set goals, and then doing 80 percent of the performance development bestriding.
I believed it was important to make the bike into a really good one, rather than what we initially had, which was a motorcycle with reduced engine vibration that wallowed all over the road.
Your would have to have ridden one of the prototypes to know how bad it was.
I wish we had a video.

WHO ELSE HAD THE GREATEST INFLUENCE OVER THE FXR'S DESIGN, INSIDE OR OUTSIDE OF THE COMPANY?
EB:  The look came first, and I know it came out of styling... probably Louie and another young (at that time!) guy there.
But the function, which is the real core of the FXR, came from riders.  
There was a young group of engineers and test guys who actually rode a lot, so we made it a rider's bike.
I remember being approached way back when by some Hells Angels, who thanked me for being part of building the FXR that finally had made a Harley a rider's bike again.
It was definitely a different type of duty cycle than racing, but those guys rode hard and knew that the FXR was built for speed.

WHAT COULD HAVE HARLEY HAVE DONE BETTER ON THE PROJECT?
EB:  I think we did well with it.  
It got by far the best reviews in the magazines that H-D had done for awhile.
At that time the magazines were technically driven, and not lifestyle.
So the improvements in technology really got those journalists' attention.
The original shovelhead engine was awful, but the EVO Motor came soon.
The FXR got H-D through the dark times until the market changed.  
Could we have done more?
H-D was very small and the engineering group more so.
We did everything we possibly could.

FXR2evo99:
WHAT DID HARLEY DO REALLY WELL WITH IT?
EB:  Two Things.
One, they (Harley-Davidson) delayed the launch and allowed us to fix it.
This was hard because they were hurting for sales.
But if the FXR had launched in its original state, it would have been a disaster.
Two, understanding the market situation.
I truly believe it was one man there more than anyone else:
Vaughn Beals
He understood so much about people, and he got that H-D needed to make a statement that there was technical capability and change inside the organization.  
I think if this bike and some others that never made big sales numbers had not been produced, H-D would have gone under.
There was a lot of hate from inside against any change, but we really needed these new products.

OTHER COMMENTS MADE BY THE WRITER OF THE ARTICLE, NOT NECESSARILY QUOTES FROM BUELL:

The sales were not huge, but they turned around, and the sales started going to different group of people.
Remember, H-D sales had dropped to about a third of their peak of nearly 80,000 in 19777, and at under 30,000 units per year, H-D was less than twice the size Buell was in 2009 when it was shut down.  

When the polished FXR hit the street, it had the lightest weight and stiffest frame of any BIG TWIN of its time.
The computer-designed , all-welded frame had a huge box-section backbone, thicker diameter tubing, and massive gusseting around the steering head. That's what made the FXR chassis the stiffest frame Harley ever produced.

The frame teamed with a new five-speed gearbox with a shorter shift linkage for more aggressive shifting.

THE FXR WILL ALWAYS BE REMEMBERED FOR ITS CHASSIS ABOVE ALL ELSE.
--IT WAS THE FOCAL POINT OF THE ENGINEERS LOVE AND ATTENTION.
IT WAS DESIGNED TO USE THE FLT POWERTRAIN IN AN FX FRAMEWITH THE SWINGARM BOLTED TO TEH REAR OF THE TRANSMISSION TO ADAPT THE GUTS TO THE NEW BONES.

--THE NEW FRAME ALSO LED TO HIGHER SPEEDS.  
BETWEEN THE FXR'S GEARING AND RUBBER MOUNTS TO REDUCE VIBRATION, STREET RIDERS FELT MORE CONFIDENT IN THE BIKE WHEN OPENING UP THE THROTTLE.

MUCH LIKE THE STAR TREK FRANCHISE, THE FXR REFUSED TO DIE AFTER CANCELLATION.  IT CAME BACK IN 1999 WHEN HARLEY LAUNCHED IT'S CVO (CUSTOM VEHICLE OPERATIONS) PROGRAM WITH TWO MODELS:
THE 1999 FXR2, WITH A 21" LACED FRONT WHEEL
THE 1999 FXR3, WITH A 19" CAST FRONT WHEEL.
THE 2000 FXR4, WHICH MARKED THE REAL END OF THE FXR PRODUCTION.

=====================================

1981 - 1994 FXR HISTORY CHART INCLUSIVE OF 1999 - 2000 CVO

UPDATED 08-21-2008

Just click and view chart that is attached as a microsoft word document below shaded in light blue just below the line NEXT TO THE PAPER CLIP

C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Desktop\Charted Years For FXR Model.doc

FXR2evo99:
In 1981,
and in time for the 1982 model year, H-D announced what was known at the time as the Superglide II. The letters were FXR, with the
F = the 80-cid engine and 5 speed gear box from the Big Twins:
X = representing the one-piece fuel tank, lighter front suspension, and wheel and small headlight from the Sportster thus the XL front end.
R = for the new frame "AND" a version of the isolation-mounting system PIONEERED by the FLT. Thus the rubber engine mounts.

What H-D discovered was that the FXR frame was FIVE TIMES stiffer in torsion, which is where it counts, than the old FX/FL frame had been. Which made for better cornering and ultimately a much better ride than can be offered even within the Dyna family that is produced today.....hmmmm very interesting.....

Even after introducing the new model as the Superglide II, they dropped the name and went to initials.

Thus in 1982,
The BEGINNING OF THE FXR ERA BEGINGS WITH TWO MODELS:
1) 1982 FXR Super Glide II
2) 1982 FXRS Super Glide II
The FXR Super Glide II came with black paint, restrained trim, laced-up wheels, and tube tires.
The FXRS Super Glide II came with contrasting paint panels on the sides of the tank, spoke cast wheels, tubeless tires, a small sissy bar at the rear of the seat, and highway pegs for resting one's feet while leaning back against the passenger who is leaning back against the bar.

The only engine choice was the low-compression 80 used that year because gas quality had declined. The 80 was fitted with the oil-control package: extra drain lines, better valve guides, and better seals. Of course this was known as the Shovelhead motor.

In 1983,
1) 1983 FXR Super Glide II
2) 1983 FXRS Super Glide II
3) 1983 FXRT Sport Glide
the model line reverted to names, with the FXR and FXRS being the Low Glide. MOST OF US would think the "S" stood for sport....but not to be the case the "S" actually stood for "Low Glide" go figure......Next we find the Moto Company creating a third model, lettered the FXRT which sold 1,458 units. The "T" stood for Touring except there was already the FLT for Touring, so the FXRT was named the Sport Glide and the S was just the extra trim and cast wheels. The FXRT also came with conventional plastic saddlebags meaning boxes outboard and below the passenger seat. It all seems very confusing, let's just say the MOTO company was trying to build bikes but logic wasn't always available....and besides they were trying to keep the FLT and FLHT's as their "TOURING LINE" and didn't want to cross reference the two lines....

H-D thought they would have a winner...something people could tour in without the "bigness" of the FLT....but the "market" (you and I said) the FXRT looked too much like the "imports", especially the fairing and people just didn't find it appealing.

Thus the shovel engine saw it's days last from late in the year of 1981 to 1983 where the emergence of the EVO began.....in 1984 FOR the FXR framed bike.

FXR2evo99:
In 1984,
1984 FXRS Low Glide
1984 FXRT Sport Glide
1984 FXRDG Disc Glide
1984 FXRP Pursuit Glide: Police Version of FXRT
The FXRDG launched originally mid-year for $8,199 with a total of 853 being built.  "DG" which stood for "Disc Glide" which was a "limited edition" with an alloy disc, rather than spoked rear wheel, and a tank emblem that said: "Genuine Harley-Davidson".  The “Disc” Name Came From the aluminum "disc-Type" rear wheel, also came with a “laced” front wheel

........Of course The advent of the EVOLUTION MOTOR "EVO" occurred this year [1984] as well.

In 1985,
the FXR line got the belt final drive. The models were:
1985 FXRS Low Glide
1985 FXRS "Special"
1985 FXRC Low Glide Custom
1985 FXRD Grand Touring Edition
1985 FXRT Sport Glide
1985 FXRP Pursuit Glide:  Police Version of FXRT
FXRT now considered the "Tourer" which got a second front disc brake, a larger passenger seat and a higher backrest.
FXRS, the basic model.
FXRS option, which at that time didn't get it's own letter or name. But it was in fact the "real" sport version, with a raised suspension and the second front disc.
FXRC Low Glide Custom the "C" standing for custom. This model featured chrome plating for things like the rocker boxes, gear case cover, and the top and side gearbox. The front fender was short and sporting, borrowed from the XR-1000 and the paint was a candy orange with root beer trim.
FXRP for a police model

In 1986,
1986 FXR Super Glide
1986 FXRS Low Rider
1986 FXRS Low Rider Sport Edition
1986 FXRS "Liberty Edition"
1986 FXRC Low Glide Custom
1986 FXRT Sport Glide
1986 FXRD Grand Touring Edition
1986 FXRP Pursuit Glide:  Police Version Of FXRT

FXR, now named Super Glide
FXRS called the Low Rider with options was renamed the “Low Rider" because the FX-Based Model of that name had been canceled at the end of 1985 Model Year.
FXRS Sport Edition, with taller suspension and dual front disc brakes
FXRC Low Glide Custom  
HD Continues To Work Towards The Completion of This Previous Offering From 1985 With The Conclusion Of 1250 Units However These Units Featured A Different Paint Scheme ie: Red.  These Units Were Also Identified By Their Numerical Order With A Inscribed Plate At The Location Of The Handlebars.  It should be noted that HD never placed this particular model in any of it's sales/brochure literature.
FXRT plain touring model
FXRD, the "D" stood for "Dresser" according to Rit Booth, with a sound system, top box (fairing) and dual exhausts...another attempt at the "baby" FLH market. These bikes were fitted with such luxuries as footboards, for both rider and passenger, a wider and more plush seat, trunk with backrest for the passenger, chrome rails for the saddlebags, two-into-one exhaust, special paint and graphics, more gauges, and a standard AM/FM/Cassette stereo with CB monitor with controls for the system on the handlebars.  The FXRD was a "great" "sport-touring" bike, with all the handling, braking ability, ground clearance, & long-legged grace of the FXRT, but with MORE COMFORT & ELEGANCE!  Unfortunately it wasn't a great seller.  It was priced at $9,474 which at the time was only $100.00 more than a 1986 FLHT. These FXRD's continued sitting on the show room floors until they were heavily discounted and finally sold, in some cases years later.  The FXRD was canceled at the end of 1986.
LIBERTY EDITION, also this was one more model, which was a limited edition, celebrating the statue.

In 1987,
1987 FXR Super Glide
1987 FXRS Low Rider
1987 FXRS-SP Low Rider Sport Edition
1987 FXRC CUSTOM
1987 FXLR Low Rider Custom
1987 FXRT Sport Glide
1987 FXRP Pursuit Glide:  Police Version Of FXRT

FXRC CUSTOM  And Once Again It Apppears HD Continues To Work Towards The Completion of This Previous Offering From 1985 With The Conclusion Of 750 Units However These Units Featured For The First Time A Painted Frame Matching the Painted Body Work Of The Bike. These Units Were Also Identified By Their Numerical Order With A Inscribed Plate At The Location Of The Handlebars And For The Very First Time The USA FLAG Was Placed On An Actual Bike, "OLD GLORY" Had Arrived And Was Proudly Displayed.  It ONCE AGAIN should be noted that HD never placed this particular model in any of it's sales/brochure literature.

The newest model was called FXLR, the Low Rider Custom, the Front tire was a 21" with a "laced wheel", as first seen on a stock Harley on the 1980 Wide Glide. Also the tank instruments were moved to the handle bars. The rear wheel was solid , as per the earlier Disc Glide.

There were only two models provided with 39mm front forks and they were [All other models remained with 35mm front forks]:
1) 1987 FXRS-SP Low Rider Sport Edition
2) 1987 FXLR Low Rider Custom

The FXRD was dropped from the line up because it wasn't selling.  

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version