Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Buffer  (Read 4141 times)

DW6019

• Banned
  • Elite CVO Member
Re: Buffer
« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2009, 10:48:09 AM »

Not sure what you are talking about referring to VIVID Black. I don't know of any mc or car company spraying single stage "black" or any other color on exterior surfaces. Everything is clearcoated these days. If you are getting scratches on clearcoat  you are using the incorrect pad. For lake county brand pads, which are readily available at Autogeek, Classic Auto and numerous other companies use red or black pads. Neither have ANY cutting ability, they only apply wax, sealer etc. Use Porter/Cable 7335 with 3 inch pad/velcro adapter and everything SHINES.

TLMitchell

« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2009, 01:23:46 AM »

Not sure what you are talking about referring to VIVID Black. I don't know of any mc or car company spraying single stage "black" or any other color on exterior surfaces. Everything is clearcoated these days. If you are getting scratches on clearcoat  you are using the incorrect pad. For lake county brand pads, which are readily available at Autogeek, Classic Auto and numerous other companies use red or black pads. Neither have ANY cutting ability, they only apply wax, sealer etc. Use Porter/Cable 7335 with 3 inch pad/velcro adapter and everything SHINES.

Vivid Black is the name of H-D's glossy black finishes. Of course it's CC, but different than any other H-D color I've ever polished. The fiberglass will finish darn near LSP ready with M105 and LC white. M205 further enhances it. The tin looks great under the halogens and passable in the sun. Put the Brinkmann on it and the micromarring makes you wanna puke. LC blue, black, red, gold, 3M finishing pad with Menz 85RD or Ultrafina, same thing, PC or Flex. The fiberglass works like a hard clear coat, the tin reacts like a soft n sticky nightmare. Never had that problem on any other H-D color of fiberglass or tin. I dunno whether they use a different CC on the different surfaces or whether it just reacts differently depending on what's underneath.

If you ever saw the thread Nick Chapman posted on MOL re: the black Chevy Colorado that was driving him nuts finishing, same thing. A seasoned, experienced detailer tried everything in his bag of tricks that *should've* worked. And still it micromarred with every finishing polish and pad he tried. He eventually tried something that *shouldn't* have worked... 4" LC yellow on a 7424 and M205. Perfection! That's what I ended up doing on the tank and it came out superb. However, now if you walk within a foot of it with a light breeze blowing you get a swirl...

IIRC, Nick ended up buying that truck. Last I heard he was trying to figure out how he was going to represent his detailing business driving a black truck that he couldn't keep swirls out of after a careful, simple wash.   ::::shrug::::

TL

yellowhog

• Vendor
  • Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2005 FLHTCSE2
« Reply #17 on: July 03, 2009, 05:11:11 PM »

I've got a BLACK '03 Ultra (as well as my '05 FLHTCSE2) with 40,000 miles on her.  I'll bet she's been washed at least a thousand times.  with all that washing, you can't help but pick up some swirl marks.  Plus, the more you cover the bike, the more you run the risk of scratching the paint too.  After some lengthy research, I purchased a 6" & 3" DA buffers from Griot's Garage.  I spent about 2 hours on the tank, fairing, lowers and saddlebags and to be honest, the bike looks almost as good as the day I bought her.  The buffers came with an instructional DVD AND a 100% satisfaction guarantee.  Believe me, it works.  Regarding the Mr. Clean car wash system, I also bought that after hearing a lot of good things about it, but found it to be not quite as good as I heard.  I hope this info helps...

YellowHog

hdnut

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #18 on: July 03, 2009, 09:46:24 PM »

Griot's garage stuff is topnotch ! I have used it on my boat and truck and love the orbital buffer ! I have not used it on the seeg yet but it does not need it either! :orange:
hdnut
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.137 seconds with 24 queries.