Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: '09 SERG J&M 7.25" Speakers Installed!!!  (Read 2495 times)

Dan_Lockwood

• 1K CVO Member
'09 SERG J&M 7.25" Speakers Installed!!!
« on: April 17, 2010, 10:11:14 PM »

My speakers arrive on Tuesday this past week and I just put them in today.  It took me about an hour to do the entire install.

Before I removed the fairing front, I put in a CD and got out my db meter and setup a test.  I picked a certain song and stood at the rear of the bike with the TourPak off and the db meter at my chest pointing forward.

I had the volume set with the standard treble and bass, not much bass with the stock speakers.  I got an average reading of about 84 db.  This was done on the slow scale C weighted.

After I installed the new J&M 7.25" speakers, I did the same test with the same volume and all settings the same.  This time I averaged about 87 to 89 db all other things being equal.

Not bad for an improvement.  I can now have a bit more bass and I can even cut down on the treble a bit with the new tweeter/mid grill speakers.  These seem to be a bit brighter in the sound than the stock speakers and I think that might be a good attribute for riding.

I'll be riding tomorrow to test them out and I'll take a picture of them installed and post it here in this thread.

So far for $219.95 delievered to my door, I'm impressed.  I bought these from Dr. V-Twin and they were very good to talk to about different models etc and seemed to know their stuff.

You reuse the stock speaker mount but remove the cloth grill and use the mount to hold the new grill and two grill speakers in place.  Then you screw the round 7.25" adapter to the original mount and screw in the new speaker.  This was a true no brainer, very easy to do.

I'll get pictures and a road test out tomorrow.

:2vrolijk_21:  :2vrolijk_21:  :2vrolijk_21:
Dan

2009 SERG Orange / Black
Board Track Racer Project, Ultima 113"/6spd
2021 Coleman UT400 Side By Side

newseultra07

• Elite CVO Member
    • TX

Re: '09 SERG J&M 7.25" Speakers Installed!!!
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2010, 11:26:57 AM »

Can I use the HawgWired PSC 1502 amp to run the JM 7.25 speakers. If so do I not use the crossover with the speakers and what setting gain setting do I set on amp. Reason is I have the amp already and not wanting to spend more $$$$ on the JM amp. 
2018 Anniversary CVO M8

Dan_Lockwood

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2010, 12:10:19 PM »

Can I use the HawgWired PSC 1502 amp to run the JM 7.25 speakers. If so do I not use the crossover with the speakers and what setting gain setting do I set on amp. Reason is I have the amp already and not wanting to spend more $$$$ on the JM amp. 

I think the J&M speakers could be helped a bit with a good crossover, which they do not have.  The two tweet/mid range just double up on the terminals with the original HD wiring on the speaker pins.  So the 7.25" speaker is getting the whole signal and may not be able to work well with the higher frequencies. 

But like I said, so far it's a lot better than the stock HD speakers.

We're just getting ready to head out for an afternoon of riding.  I'll you all know how they sound on the freeway.

As far as you amp goes, I'm not sure what impedance it is, but the later HD head units I believe from '06 through '10 are 2 ohm so be prepared to do whatever you have to for that.  I'm not well versed on amps so maybe this is a non issue, just wanted you to know about the 2 ohm speakers on the newer head units.

I'm sure someone else will chime in on the amp as not many have read this yet.

Good luck and I'll update everyone when we get back from our riding.

Dan

2009 SERG Orange / Black

Dan_Lockwood

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2010, 08:25:49 PM »

Well we rode about 150 miles this afternoon and these new J&M 7.25" speakers are GREAT!!!!!

The clarity is wonderful and the volume is more than I need for our riding.  I can now use full bass and full treble if I wanted to without any distortion.

Like someone else said, no matter what you have it will never duplicate what a cage stereo system can do and maybe they are a bit on the bright side, but that's even better for our use.

So if anyone is wondering what to do on their SERG for speakers, this is a great lower cost option to think about. 

Later dudes and dudettes...

:2vrolijk_21:  :2vrolijk_21:  :2vrolijk_21:
Dan

2009 SERG Orange / Black

tcb62

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 FLTRSE3
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2010, 06:54:01 PM »

I installed the 7.25" on my SERG a month ago, I love em.  Great sound improvement :orange:
TCB62

greglyon

• 1K CVO Member
  • 2013 FLHRSE5
    • AZ

• CVO1: FLHRSE5
    • Phillips and Lyon LLC
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2010, 06:58:38 PM »

If only I didn't have to take off and put on that frickin outer fairing
"A clear conscience is usually the sign of a bad memory"

KODAGRIN

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2008 BLACK FLHTCU/110
    • CVO2: 2010 TS FLHXSE
    • Porkbelliesmc
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2010, 11:44:08 PM »

If only I didn't have to take off and put on that frickin outer fairing
[/quote
I was wondering about that.  How big a job is that?

KODAGRIN

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2008 BLACK FLHTCU/110
    • CVO2: 2010 TS FLHXSE
    • Porkbelliesmc
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2010, 08:41:00 PM »

How big a job is taking off the front of fairing to install new speaks?    And my dealer is trying to convince me the new Harley brand Boom speakers are better....anyone have input on that?

Dan_Lockwood

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2010, 12:29:21 PM »

How big a job is taking off the front of fairing to install new speaks?    And my dealer is trying to convince me the new Harley brand Boom speakers are better....anyone have input on that?

It took me about an hour to do the install.

Someone said you don't have take the windshied off, but it's a big putting the front faring back on with it removed. With it on it's hard for me to get the upper faring fingers under the inner upper cowling.

I thought about the HD new speakers at an even better price than the J&M that I have.

There just a lot of positive feed back on other forums on the J&M speakers.

I'm sure the Hawg Wired setup is great too. It's just it's usually paired with an amp and I didn't want to go that far.

My wife commented several times during our ride last weekend that it was too loud, and there was little or no distortion that I could detect.

I just think for the money and anyone looking for just that little extra, the J&M are a great choice.

Dan

2009 SERG Orange / Black

GregKhougaz

• It's a Two Wheeled World.
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: '22 BMW Grand America
    • CVO2: '18 Porsche C4 GTS
    • CVO3: '22 Porsche Macan GTS and my mountain bike.
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2010, 12:54:02 PM »

I think this would be a bad match.   According to the Hawgwired website, the  PSC 1502 amplifier nominal output impedance is 4 ohms (most auto systems are).  The J & M speakers are 2ohms.  This combination / difference will cause the HW amp to overheat. It will shut itself off to avoid overheating.  (Don't ask me how I know this!)  The compatible J & M amp is pricey but very good.  The good news is that you can easily sell the HW amp here, on e bay or Craigslist.  I just removed and sold my Titan amp for $25 less than the J & M amp cost me.  Also, the JM 7.25" speakers have internal crossovers so you do not need an external crossover.  The speakers are the only ones I've heard with very good bass response, esp. if you install the foam pads included with them.  Recommend turning up your bass and treble on your head unit.  Worth the time and $$. 

If only I didn't have to take off and put on that fr___in outer fairing

Removal of the SERG fairing is not hard.  For the SERG, see here:  Fairing Removal and Installation.  MAKE SURE YOU COVER THE FRONT FENDER!!!  The SERG compatible J & M amp is being released this week.  I found it more difficult to raise the gas tank to properly run the power line from the amp to the battery.  You have to get the tank up high enough to insert the power lead through the wiring harness box which sits atop the backbone of the frame, under the tank.  An extra set of hands helped alot.  Was also a great chance to clean everything under there....   :nixweiss:

Hope this helps. 

GK

"We've got some tall tales we love to tell.  They may not be true but we sure do remember them well." 
 Sawyer Brown

When you come to a fork in the road... take it!

Page created in 0.177 seconds with 21 queries.