Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Author Topic: Zumo Roadtech 665 and using the GXM 40 antenna  (Read 6360 times)

Stogey1

Zumo Roadtech 665 and using the GXM 40 antenna
« on: October 02, 2010, 03:24:41 PM »

I cannot figure out how to get the weather to work on the 665.  I am using the Zumo RT 660 mount cradle that came on the 2011 CVO RG.  I found and connected the GXM 40 antenna to the connector under the fairing.  I have tried using a standard Zumo 665 and the RoadTech 665.  On both units, the "weather" iccon appears, but never can lock on to any of the satellites.  The signal strength display bars never displays green - and with a clear view of the sky.

My head is spinning...

Any ideas? 

Thanks,

Opossum

• Blue is Faster
  • Senior CVO Member
  • “Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
    • TX

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Ultra Limited Jupiter Blue and Wicked Sapphire
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Burnt Amber/Hot Citrus (gone but not forgotten)
Re: Zumo Roadtech 665 and using the GXM 40 antenna
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2010, 03:29:13 PM »

The 660 mount doesn't interchange with the 665.  The 660 won't get XM or Nextrad weather.  Check out zumofourms.com  lots of good intel there.
"And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music"

Stogey1

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2010, 03:46:37 PM »

Well then it appears that I have to disconnect the original 660 mount and all the wiring that came with the bike and connect the 665 mount and fish it through the handlebars, connect it to the radio (somehow), ect.

Doesn't sound fun...  Just to get the Nav through ther speakers and weather...

rheiner

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2 120r motor Black Diamond/Crimson Tag Graphics
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Riptide Blue/Titanium Dust
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2010, 04:14:18 PM »

Well then it appears that I have to disconnect the original 660 mount and all the wiring that came with the bike and connect the 665 mount and fish it through the handlebars, connect it to the radio (somehow), ect.

Doesn't sound fun...  Just to get the Nav through ther speakers and weather...

Are you getting XM radio to work with the mount? If that works, it isn't the mount. You do have an XM radio subscription and NavWeather subscription on your 665, don't you? Maybe XM has to resend your signal to your radio ID.

Opossum

• Blue is Faster
  • Senior CVO Member
    • TX

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2010, 04:25:36 PM »

It won't matter because the 660 won't get XM or weather.  The 660 and the 665 mounts look the same but ARE NOT the same.  Takin the outer fairing off is the hardest part of the chore...trace where the 660 is wired hot and ground and do the same for the 665 rig, I put the GX 40 (double side tape) on top of the CB radio...all works fine.
"And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music"

bissjim

• Vendor
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2010, 07:37:50 AM »

The 660 mount doesn't interchange with the 665.  The 660 won't get XM or Nextrad weather.  Check out zumofourms.com  lots of good intel there.

Opossum is correct the mounts are the same but they are not wired internally the same way.

Jim
Ride It Like You Are Retired

Stogey1

« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2010, 01:58:12 PM »

Well I guess thats it.  I have to purchase a 665 mount and wire it like the 660 mount. 

Will any Zumo 665 mount work or do I have to buy RoadTeck mount from HD?

I presume the audio and mic connections are wired to the HK somehow under the fairing like the 660.

Thanks guys for all your help.

bissjim

• Vendor
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2010, 07:37:07 AM »

Any 665 mount will work.

The connections will be the same under the fairing.

Jim

Opossum

• Blue is Faster
  • Senior CVO Member
    • TX

« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2010, 12:05:49 PM »

Well I guess thats it.  I have to purchase a 665 mount and wire it like the 660 mount. 

Will any Zumo 665 mount work or do I have to buy RoadTeck mount from HD?

I presume the audio and mic connections are wired to the HK somehow under the fairing like the 660.

Thanks guys for all your help.

You'll still need the stereo jumper out from Zumo and in to AUX to get MP's and prompts thru the dash speakers,  if ya want mic/bluetooth phone check out HD Bomm or similar.

Stogey1

« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2010, 02:46:48 PM »

I already get the voice prompts through the speakers with the Roadtech models 660 and 665.  Just no weather on the 665 with the existing GPS cradle/mount that HD installed on the bike. I have nothing plugged into the Aux port.

It seems that the existing mount and wires need to be disconnected and removed.  A new 665 mount installed and the wires fed through the bars like they are now and hopefully the 4 connections are the same.
1. Hot
2.GND
3. Audio
4. Mic

And then the GXM40 should connect in the last plug and the weather will - should work...

Unless there is am easier way???

bissjim

• Vendor
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2010, 07:48:27 AM »

The connections will be the same.

If your existing wiring harness for the Zumo mount is inside the handle bars then:

It will help when you remove the existing mount if you have a 3 foot piece of small (say # 22 gag) stranded wire handy.

After you disconnect the wires inside the cowling and before you pull the wires back through the bars tape the stranded wire to one of the wires you are pulling back through the bars. That way you can use the stranded wire to pull the new wires back through the bars into the cowling. Any small piece of stranded wire will work, not larger then say gag 18. Pull slowly while feeding the wires through the bars.

You will have to cut the fuse wire already there, also cut the fuse off the wires on the new mount and then solder the existing fuse to the new fuse wire or use a Butt Splice.

Jim

rheiner

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2010, 01:12:40 PM »

It won't matter because the 660 won't get XM or weather.  The 660 and the 665 mounts look the same but ARE NOT the same.  Takin the outer fairing off is the hardest part of the chore...trace where the 660 is wired hot and ground and do the same for the 665 rig, I put the GX 40 (double side tape) on top of the CB radio...all works fine.

I think most everyone knows the 660 won't get XM radio or weather. He says he has a 665 and he isn't getting weather. The reason I asked him if he is getting XM radio using his 665 on his existing mount (even the preview stations if there is no subscription) is because if he is, it isn't the mount. At some point in time Garmin changed the 660 mount so it is compatible with the 665, i.e., the 660 mount will work for XM radio & NavWeather. I know this because I have purchased, within the last 60 days, two motorcycle harness mounts from the auxiliary products in the 660 Garmin website and both worked on my 665, just like Garmin told me they would before I placed the order. This was before the motorcycle harness mount became an accessory item under the 665.

Stogey1

« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2010, 01:22:44 PM »

No.  it doesn't recognize XM either.  So, it sounds like - it is an earlier 660 mount that obviously won't work with a 665.

Geez.  Good ole HD... to install old outdated parts on a brand new 2011 CVO.

rheiner

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2010, 01:26:46 PM »

No.  it doesn't recognize XM either.  So, it sounds like - it is an earlier 660 mount that obviously won't work with a 665.

Geez.  Good ole HD... to install old outdated parts on a brand new 2011 CVO.

I swear I read somewhere that the new HD mount on 2011s works with the 660 & 665. I'd try to find that info and complain to your dealer and get them to switch the harness out under warranty.

HGBRTH08

« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2011, 04:20:47 PM »

Hi guys,

I realize I'm late to this thread, but am having the same issue.  My 2011 FLTRUSE came with the 660 but I have switched to the 665.  I saw the comment above about different mounts, but when I had the fairing off, I noticed that I have the connector for the GXM-40 antenna.  I connected it and put it all back together but still don't receive an XM signal although the XM Subscription icon now shows up on the Settings screen.

Does the existence of the GXM-40 connector indicate I may have the correct mount on my FLTRUSE? :nixweiss:

Dean

Supershooter

• Elite CVO Member
  • First Ride 03 FXDWG

• CVO1: 2010 SEUC-sold
    • CVO2: 2011 SESG
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2011, 09:54:35 PM »

The antenna is the same, the receiver/ mounting bracket is the problem it has to have the 665 mounting bracket.
Supershooter
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Page created in 0.168 seconds with 21 queries.