Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 3 Chirps from security system after shutting down... FYI  (Read 2912 times)

2018_FLTRXSE

• 1K CVO Member
  • Wait 6 months?... YES it was worth the wait!
    • HI

• CVO1: 2018_FLTRXSE, Gunship Grey, (Delivered July 28, 2018... after almost 9 )
    • CVO2: 2001_FLTRSEI, Grey/Black/Silver w/Hannigan Hack and a blast to ride.
    • CVO3: 2012_FLTRXSE, Maple/Black (Delivered 1/20/2012 - Traded 10/25/2017)
3 Chirps from security system after shutting down... FYI
« on: December 09, 2011, 08:51:32 PM »

2 weeks ago I noted that when I powered up the bike the voltage would only be at 10.5V... after startup the volt meter would slowly move to the right.... to just under 14V... I did note that it seemed a little slow moving to the 14V position...

A couple days after that I noted the security system would chirp 3 times after shutting the bike down.... Manual indicated the security system battery was low.... or not charging.

Also noted that at extended idle time (traffic) the volt meter would drop down to 12V or less... then pop right back up to 14V once I resumed normal road speed.

I had to take the bike in for the brake switch recall anyway, so I asked that they take a quick look at that... battery was marginal at best. Replaced it and all is well... though I still note the Voltmeter dropping lower than I think it used to... but the chirp is gone and it fires right up now.

Just FYI

No more Hawaii HOG Rally... ask HOG why...

hard10

• Emperor of the Imperial Grand Masters of Sarcasm
  • 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM # 6 1/157.48

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE²
Re: 3 Chirps from security system after shutting down... FYI
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2011, 10:20:09 PM »

I just noticed the "3 chirp" myself and wondered what I had done this time. Guess it's time to check it further.

MKW

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2011, 03:34:16 PM »

Now this is exactly why I love this site.  My friend had the same "chirp" issue and I'll be letting him know whatg I read here.  Awesome!
2010 CVO Street Glide
2014 CVO Limited

RedDevil

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #747.2 It's all good

• CVO1: '11 FLTRUSE Gray Ghost
    • CVO2: '12 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2011, 07:43:59 PM »

2 weeks ago I noted that when I powered up the bike the voltage would only be at 10.5V... after startup the volt meter would slowly move to the right.... to just under 14V... I did note that it seemed a little slow moving to the 14V position...

A couple days after that I noted the security system would chirp 3 times after shutting the bike down.... Manual indicated the security system battery was low.... or not charging.

Also noted that at extended idle time (traffic) the volt meter would drop down to 12V or less... then pop right back up to 14V once I resumed normal road speed.

I had to take the bike in for the brake switch recall anyway, so I asked that they take a quick look at that... battery was marginal at best. Replaced it and all is well... though I still note the Voltmeter dropping lower than I think it used to... but the chirp is gone and it fires right up now.

Just FYI

Do you have your bike on a battery tender when you're not riding it?  I have never had to replace a motorcycle battery since I have them on a tender (year round) when I'm not riding them.  If you don't do a tender, I would highly recommend one. 

:devil:

2012 FLHXSE3
Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock

2018_FLTRXSE

• 1K CVO Member
    • HI

• CVO1: 2018_FLTRXSE, Gunship Grey, (Delivered July 28, 2018... after almost 9 )
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2011, 08:51:51 PM »

Do you have your bike on a battery tender when you're not riding it?  I have never had to replace a motorcycle battery since I have them on a tender (year round) when I'm not riding them.  If you don't do a tender, I would highly recommend one. 

I ride it daily for the most part.... we have year round riding weather with the exception of an occasional heavy deluge.

RedDevil

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #747.2 It's all good

• CVO1: '11 FLTRUSE Gray Ghost
    • CVO2: '12 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2011, 09:06:08 PM »

I ride it daily for the most part.... we have year round riding weather with the exception of an occasional heavy deluge.

I try to also, except in the winter, but I still always have mine on a tender.  As soon as I pull either one of them in the garage after a ride, they get plugged in.  It's worked for me, never have had (knock on wood) to replace a battery. 

2012 FLHXSE3
Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2011, 10:28:41 PM »

I try to also, except in the winter, but I still always have mine on a tender.  As soon as I pull either one of them in the garage after a ride, they get plugged in.  It's worked for me, never have had (knock on wood) to replace a battery. 

Same thing I do. :2vrolijk_21: Even if ridden everyday if they aren't ridden long/far enough to fully charge battery then plugging them in at night definitely is beneficial.

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

2018_FLTRXSE

• 1K CVO Member
    • HI

« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2011, 02:37:35 AM »

Same thing I do. :2vrolijk_21: Even if ridden everyday if they aren't ridden long/far enough to fully charge battery then plugging them in at night definitely is beneficial.

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:

Something to consider.... thanks for the tip.. I try to take the longest way to work to give the charging system the most time to do what it needs to do. I do not, however believe in using a vehicle until it doesnt start... there are usually telltale signs that a battery is failing long before you get to the "it wont start" mode.

I keep Momma's RKC on a tender because it sits for weeks on end... For the most part, batteries last about 2 years here (short rides for most, and few ride regularly like I do) I usually get 3-4 years without a problem...

Heat kills batteries, and sice we deal with lots of traffic here(most people, fortunately I ride against traffic) and of course, where does Harley put them?... (Right behind the HOT engine or righ in the oil tank!)

havenolife

• Senior CVO Member
    • OH

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited
    • CVO2: 2014 CVO ROAD KING
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2011, 10:02:36 AM »

I dint know for sure but I thought I read that then you heard 3 chirps it meant the battrey in the siren was bad

MKW

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2011, 12:41:21 PM »

I dint know for sure but I thought I read that then you heard 3 chirps it meant the battrey in the siren was bad

Correct!  I'm not loosing my mind-thanks
2010 CVO Street Glide
2014 CVO Limited

2018_FLTRXSE

• 1K CVO Member
    • HI

« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2011, 02:03:28 PM »

Correct!  I'm not loosing my mind-thanks

You are correct.. maybe I should clarify... The manual indicates the three chirp condition is caused by a low battery condition in the siren, or it not charging...

At anyrate... replacing the bikes battery fixed it...

Page created in 0.161 seconds with 22 queries.