Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: 2014 cvo issues  (Read 5822 times)

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
Re: 2014 cvo issues
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2014, 08:30:21 PM »

The reason automotive companies mount the antenna on the roof is that the car is made of steel. The fiberglass in our fairings will not hinder the signal.

Well, they're ABS, but yeah, same difference. 

motor1

• Elite CVO Member
  • Current Harley: 2022 FLTRKSE

• CVO1: 2022 FLTRKSE
    • CVO2: 2022 FLRTXSE traded, 2015 FLTRUSE traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLTRXSE traded, 2011 FLTRUSE traded
« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2014, 08:34:53 PM »

Keep in mind the higher the XM antenna, the better the reception. All the trucks/SUVs are going have an antenna sitting at least a couple of feet higher ( vs HD fairing mount), that is gonna help XM reception.
Excuses are the conditions under which you have failed.

FLHTCUSE7

« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2014, 08:35:46 PM »

Well, they're ABS, but yeah, same difference.

Regardless no faradays cage ever made if plastic

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2014, 08:55:34 PM »

The plastic may not hinder the signal, but the metal brackets/wiring harnesses/metal headlamp housings/radio and amplifier chassis/etc. just might. 

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

jimcb1

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2014, 08:22:17 AM »

so how do we fix this to get good reception

FLHTCUSE7

« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2014, 08:38:14 AM »

The plastic may not hinder the signal, but the metal brackets/wiring harnesses/metal headlamp housings/radio and amplifier chassis/etc. just might. 

Jerry

Certainly possible that this is the case.

MOBEAH

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NH

• CVO1: 2014 Ruby/Burgandy Ultra Limited
« Reply #21 on: April 25, 2014, 10:12:29 AM »

My XM antenna is mounted on my fairing where the wind hole is for the new fairing, can't get it a clearer signal unless I hold it in the air...Thant didn't work LOL still cuts out quite a bit

amvetstech

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • MI

« Reply #22 on: April 28, 2014, 01:15:18 PM »

CVO satilight antenna

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

CVO and other 2014 XM radio reception issues!
 OK I have had a CVO Limited for a few months and was tired of the reception problems.
 I want to share what I know about the issue and hopefully help anyone that wants it.
 Bottom line after I relocated the antenna I have only seen signal strength of less than three when I go thru tunnels....under large overpasses I may lose a signal for a second but the freeway must be at least 6 lanes and no breaks in the bridge.......
 Other than that the reception is AWESOME NOW!!!

RIDE ON.. and dont correct spelling !!! I know I suck at writing....just read for content!

FACTS---
 1. RECEPTION SUCKS almost all the time while driving in various directions.
 I have found more problems while driving in certain directions.

2, The XM antenna is originally mounted behind the fuel gauge, inside the fairing. It has a magnetic base and sets on a metal plate approximately 4 inches down from the top of the fairing.

3. The antenna wire is approximately 12 inches long and is tie wrapped in two places on wiring harness inside fairing. It connects to the radio on the lower right edge with a yellowish colored block push connector. (houses a small coaxial connection)

NOW the easy fix.

Relocate the antenna to outside fairing.
 1. Remove headlight, one trim screw and the three headlight retainers screws.

2. remove 4 torx screws holding outer fairing on. These are on inner fairing two in area of hand grips and two lower on the area of the fairing wind deflectors. hold windsheild so it dont fall.....and after screws are off pull windsheild off and set aside.
 (Fairing can be pulled away to gain enough acces to the antenna....)

3. reach in and snip the ties holding the antenna cable once from above and the other you can get from the headlight hole.....BE CAREFUL ! dont cut cable....DUH

4. No disconnect connection from antenna to radio by pushing locking tab (located on top of connection) in just a little and pull out connector....)

5. Pull cable and anntenna out of fairing from top. careful that yellow connector doesnt snag...

6. Locate notch in between air vent mounting plastic (black portion) of top of inner fairing and actual inner fairing.
 Use a small drill bit the size of the cable and notch this area where the windsheild will mount. Only need to make a channel with enough space so cable will not get smashed...
 (see pictures)

7. Route cable down to radio and plug in.

8 Use clear silicone on the black plastic to secure the antenna.

9. install all the rest of the chit....

PS---
 Can anyone tell me if there is a way to extend this cable ??? I never saw a coax this tiny and am worried about pulling too much power if I increase the length of cable to route this to the back of the bike....

hdaliaconis

• Senior CVO Member
  • 2017 CVO Ultra Limited - 2013 FLHTCUSE8 (Traded)

• CVO1: 2013 CVO Ultra
« Reply #23 on: April 28, 2014, 08:11:23 PM »

I agree, the fiberglass fairing should not make a difference.  :2vrolijk_21:
Do it now!

• My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge, when my information changes, I alter my conclusions
  • 5k CVO Member
  • monter le cheval de fer (French)
    • NC

• CVO1: 2013 SERK-Dressed in BLUE of course.
    • CVO2: 2002 Supercharged HD F150 512 RWHP
    • CVO3: 1956 BelAir Sports Coupe
« Reply #24 on: April 28, 2014, 10:10:10 PM »

CVO satilight antenna

PS---
 Can anyone tell me if there is a way to extend this cable ??? I never saw a coax this tiny and am worried about pulling too much power if I increase the length of cable to route this to the back of the bike....

Its all about wavelegnth....adding or removing coax could drasticly effect reception
Most Honda Goldwing riders will blink when hit in the head  with a ball-peen hammer (sans helmet)

amvetstech

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • MI

« Reply #25 on: April 28, 2014, 11:34:39 PM »

I agree, the fiberglass fairing should not make a difference.  :2vrolijk_21:
its not the fairing that's causing the interference its the fuel gauge that is right next to it blicking the path

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Grizzly

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • ON

• CVO1: '05 Jalapeno 1 of 692 sold
    • CVO2: '08 Duracell #601 of 1,800
« Reply #26 on: April 29, 2014, 05:26:33 PM »

How about swapping the Fuel Gauge with the Volt Meter?  :nixweiss:

Would that make it work better?
ALL 10 Provinces & ALL Lower 48 States ridden on "MY" bike

NW Territories and Alaska, here I come!

MOBEAH

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NH

• CVO1: 2014 Ruby/Burgandy Ultra Limited
« Reply #27 on: May 08, 2014, 04:32:09 PM »

Well.... Here's another update, dropping my cvo off at the dealership once again, my radio has a mind of it's own, everytime I shut the bike off and then turn it back on, whether its for 5 min or a day the radio station and/or device I'm using is different every time. If I have a FM radio station it changes on it's own, if I'm using the usb, it will turn into AM-FM or weather station, also sometimes the radio itself sounds like a K-mart Kraco, distorted, speakers buzz as if theres no power and I have to turn the volume way up to hear it, then all of a sudden Bam.. it's the most awesome stereo. GREMLINS i would say!!!

amvetstech

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • MI

« Reply #28 on: July 01, 2014, 06:34:27 AM »

I too relocated my Xm antenna no major deal but reception is now great. Cable allows you to place it just to the left of the vent knob. I used clear silicone and just notched the faring for the cable to fit thru

amvetstech

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • MI

« Reply #29 on: July 01, 2014, 06:36:51 AM »

Mobeah!! What did they find on yours? I have 9000 on my bike and experience the same gremlin station drop or change from Xm to WB or other issue
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.191 seconds with 22 queries.