Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Saw my First Rider Down!  (Read 8113 times)

Doniwin

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • FL

• CVO1: 2014 FLHTKSE CVO Limited
    • CVO2: 2013 XL1200 Custom
Re: Saw my First Rider Down!
« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2014, 11:49:25 PM »

No Helmet is my choice here in Florida. Darn glad I still have a choice. It's my risk to take we already have too many Laws.  :cool26:

Jswerve

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE3
« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2014, 06:50:11 AM »

No Helmet is my choice here in Florida. Darn glad I still have a choice. It's my risk to take we already have too many Laws.  :cool26:

Oooooh better watch it the helmet police are gonna getcha!  :coolblue:

2012 FLHXSE3 Ruby Red/Typhoon Maroon
|Color Matched Detachable Tour Pak | Fuelmoto PV | Dragos 580 cams | Dragula 2-1/Ghost Pipe | Cyclesmith 13's | Sachs heads | Yaffe Stealth III License Plate Frame| Long Angled High

Eagle Eye

• THE EAGLE HAS LANDED!
  • 1K CVO Member
  • Every day is a great day to ride!

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUE2 Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2014, 11:27:03 PM »

After hitting my helmet on the asphalt pulling out of my parking spot at work a few years ago, I won't get on a bike without one. My head would have split like a watermelon as hard as I went down.
They had been wetting down the street all day, while trucks with mud on the wheels laid a nice gooey layer on the road. When I pulled out the bike slid and I fell backward off the bike.   

That Shoie Neotech was brand new.  The contractor paid for the damage to my bike and helmet.

I rode the first 25 years without one. Having the need to see my grand daughters grow up gives me enough reason now.
But, that is my choice. Others are free to do as they please.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ken2
Vietnam Vet
Spec-5
Medic
US Army

DesertHOG

• Visiting America One Road Trip at a Time
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • Vivid Black Special
    • NM

• CVO1: 2011 FLTRUSE - SOLD
    • CVO2: 2015 FLTRUSE - SOLD
    • CVO3: 2018 FLTRXS - Vivid Black
    • Join me on Facebook
« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2014, 11:34:31 PM »

After hitting my helmet on the asphalt pulling out of my parking spot at work a few years ago, I won't get on a bike without one. My head would have split like a watermelon as hard as I went down.
They had been wetting down the street all day, while trucks with mud on the wheels laid a nice gooey layer on the road. When I pulled out the bike slid and I fell backward off the bike.   

That Shoie Neotech was brand new.  The contractor paid for the damage to my bike and helmet.

I rode the first 25 years without one. Having the need to see my grand daughters grow up gives me enough reason now.
But, that is my choice. Others are free to do as they please.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

:2vrolijk_21:  2@ His Own

King2013

« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2014, 11:44:41 PM »

I agree, it should be the riders choice not a law.
But, I know if I wasn't wearing mine when i got hit I wouldn't be here right now and the leather jacket saved my skin.
Now I don't ride without them.

Bromebe

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • TX

• CVO1: 2001 CVO FXDWG2 Switchblade
    • CVO2: 2013 CVO Road King
« Reply #20 on: October 09, 2014, 09:28:46 AM »

Time for a chuckle on this post

think I  was 16
an ole lady ran a stop sign and nailed me square in the side with the front of her car

I bent over like a tooth pick and left this perfect impression of my head / helmet dead center of her hood
once I got back to school, there was the car in the teachers parking lot

I passed English that year and got to leave class early everyday for the rest of the year!
2013 CVO Screaning Eagle Road King - Big Blue
2001 CVO  Switchblade - Flash (sold)

2018_FLTRXSE

• 1K CVO Member
  • Wait 6 months?... YES it was worth the wait!
    • HI

• CVO1: 2018_FLTRXSE, Gunship Grey, (Delivered July 28, 2018... after almost 9 )
    • CVO2: 2001_FLTRSEI, Grey/Black/Silver w/Hannigan Hack and a blast to ride.
    • CVO3: 2012_FLTRXSE, Maple/Black (Delivered 1/20/2012 - Traded 10/25/2017)
« Reply #21 on: October 09, 2014, 12:59:44 PM »

Choices.... its all about them.

Ask the ER nurse who looked at me, my head injury, looked over at my vest draped over the chair and said: "You know if you were wearing a helmet this wouldn't have happened"

ME: "You know, you're right... but do you think that everyone that walks into a 7-11 store should be required to wear a helmet?"

HER: Of course not, that would be stupid.

ME: Then stupid it is, because this injury happened IN a 7-11 store and NOT on a motorcycle!

You can get hurt or injured at any time. be safe out there always brothers and sisters.

No more Hawaii HOG Rally... ask HOG why...

doublerunner

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2013 CVO Ultra Classic Typhoon Maroon
    • CVO2: 2011 CVO Road Glide Rio Red/Ember Black
« Reply #22 on: October 09, 2014, 05:32:50 PM »

This may sound hypocritical or unfair, but young riders should have to wear a helmet. I did way too many dumb things as a young rider and at 17 I was coming home from a party and did not negotiate a turn too well (actually not at all) and went straight into a large tree on someone's front lawn. My front forks got bent in half and I went face first into the tree. Luckily I had on a full face shield one piece and I escaped unharmed. If not for that helmet I would not be here today

But, I do believe we all should be able to make the choice for ourselves. After we have enough experience to make a rational and mature decision

I am in Mass so I have to wear a helmet. But there are days I wish I did not have to. If I am cruising on a back road on a nice day with no traffic then I'd like to have it off. If I am riding to work on the highway with tons of high speed traffic then I would wear one

But in the land of the free we should have the freedom to make our own choice.
-------------------------------------
Enjoy the Journey

TXGator

• Elite CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • FL

• CVO1: "JUSTICE" 2014 Jupiter Blue CVO Limited V&H Power Duals, 4.5" Hi Output Slipons SERT
    • CVO2: Non CVO 2015 Heritage Classic... Freedom Performance Racing True Duals, SERT
    • CVO3: My 16YO's first Harley... 2005 Sporty 883, Cobra Slash Cuts
« Reply #23 on: October 21, 2014, 10:08:30 PM »

So I've noticed two things (just speaking about me and mine).  As I get more comfortable with my bike I have been going without on short rides during daylight.  Secondly and I don't know if this is real or perceived but I seem to have better balance without.  I have a full face modular and I (again real or perceived) feel like my equilibrium is affected in the helmet.  is that possible?

Thoughts?

Cvostu

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 Whiskey Neat road glide custom
    • CVO2: 2019 Mako Shark Fade road glide custom
« Reply #24 on: October 21, 2014, 11:26:17 PM »

i have seen bad falls at only 20 mph,,, can't believe what a helmet looked like at that slow speed..   Could have been someone's head split wide open,,  I won't hardly ride down the block without one anymore... just saying,,,,,,,, :nixweiss:

knothead

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 R-Glide Orange & Black
    • CVO2: 2006 V-Rod Orange & Black
    • CVO3: 2006 V- Rod Destroyer Orange & Black
« Reply #25 on: October 22, 2014, 07:56:33 AM »

Seen two accidents this past weekend,both looked to be preventable by inexperienced riders. Most riders have never been taught how to lean and push down on those bars...I was always told if you go off the road, tuck and roll with or without a helmet.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2014, 08:04:01 AM by knothead »
Letz Ride
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.162 seconds with 25 queries.