Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13

Author Topic: What was your first motorcycle and the circumstances behind it?  (Read 45009 times)

skippy

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
Re: What was your first motorcycle and the circumstances behind it?
« Reply #150 on: January 30, 2018, 03:31:02 PM »

1979 triumph Bonneville 

LMR

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CT

« Reply #151 on: January 30, 2018, 05:18:18 PM »

1977 in A school, Great Lakes Illinois, I never road a bike and went out and bought a 750 Honda. Tried to ride it home from the dealer but couldn’t even turn it around in the parking lot. I had the forethought to bring someone who knew how and he rode it back to base. I spent a week riding in the parking lot to learn how. Once comfortable, a friend and I would get stoned and take off riding. It was a different time then. Basically had 3 weeks to learn before the trip back to Ct. which I did nonstop.

ACfixer

• Global Warming Enthusiast
  • Senior CVO Member
    • TN

• CVO1: 2015 FLTRUSE
    • CVO2: 2005 FLSTSCi Springer
    • CVO3: Honda Pioneer 1000-5
« Reply #152 on: February 03, 2018, 11:50:47 AM »

1969 Yamaha 80. I got it when I was 12 in 1974. My dad bought it for $100.

2015 FLTRUSE Abyss Blue/Crushed Sapphire
15" Freedom shield - TTS Tuned by Fullsac - Fullsac DX pipe - 2.0 cores. 96HP - 113TQ

fastfreddy

• 1K CVO Member
  • MY CVO
    • IA

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE traded
    • CVO2: 2016 FLTRUSE
« Reply #153 on: February 03, 2018, 01:21:16 PM »

i just bought my grandson his first motorcycle, a honda xr50, cant wait to give it to him... his dad dosnt  think he is ready yet, and i said how old was you when i gave you a honda 50? thats right...10, so have not seen either one them for two weeks now  :nixweiss: the weather is going to break here in iowa soon and im sure my boy will come around and teach his son to ride
SERGU aka the RENTAL ... never home & always broke...Thnx FF

ACfixer

• Global Warming Enthusiast
  • Senior CVO Member
    • TN

• CVO1: 2015 FLTRUSE
    • CVO2: 2005 FLSTSCi Springer
    • CVO3: Honda Pioneer 1000-5
« Reply #154 on: February 03, 2018, 01:36:53 PM »

^^^^ Awesome. What a great day that will be...
2015 FLTRUSE Abyss Blue/Crushed Sapphire
15" Freedom shield - TTS Tuned by Fullsac - Fullsac DX pipe - 2.0 cores. 96HP - 113TQ

Mano

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • ON

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2
« Reply #155 on: February 04, 2018, 11:12:38 AM »

^^^^ Awesome. What a great day that will be...

X2,  :2vrolijk_21:

jhuff

• CVO1: 2011.5 SEBB
    • CVO2: 2013 CVO Breakout
« Reply #156 on: March 06, 2018, 09:47:11 PM »

Hello all,  My first motorized machine was a 3 1/2 hp mini-bike, I'll look for a picture and post it later if found.  Anyway, I was 5yrs old at the time and not strong enough to start it. LOL.  During the summer break, my father would start it up before leaving for work and I would keep it running by adding gas to it during the day.  When called for lunch, I would just leave it running, Mom didn't like the idea of me riding, so it was no option for her to restart it.  LOL
My first motorcycle was a Honda CT-70, new on Christmas of 1971.  My first "Big Blue", I still own it, my sister, son and daughter grew up riding it.  Here is a fairly current picture.   
Jim

jhuff

« Reply #157 on: March 06, 2018, 09:59:12 PM »

Later...my first street bike.  This photo was taken last August, I rode it on my birthday.  My 82 yr old Dad is seated in the picture, thinking "I can't believe I really helped you buy this thing...it could have killed you".   ::) ::)  Mom was not happy about it at the time, that's for sure. LOL
Jim

jhuff

« Reply #158 on: March 06, 2018, 10:14:23 PM »

Still later came my first love...I mean Harley...A 1982 Low Rider.  To own a Harley Low Rider had been by dream ever since I saw that Harley ad in the Cycle World magazine, you know the one..."Ever since you were this tall to a kick starter". 
Jim

Mikey

• 2003 Harley Davidson FLHRSE12 Screamin' Eagle Road King
  • Senior CVO Member
  • Get the gold, make the rules!

• CVO1: FLHRSEi2 2003
    • CVO2: FLTRUSE 2015
    • Classic Muscle Bikes
« Reply #159 on: March 08, 2018, 08:21:33 AM »

Later...my first street bike.  This photo was taken last August, I rode it on my birthday.  My 82 yr old Dad is seated in the picture, thinking "I can't believe I really helped you buy this thing...it could have killed you".   ::) ::)  Mom was not happy about it at the time, that's for sure. LOL

Is that a 1973 Z 1 ?
GET THE GOLD, MAKE THE RULES!
2003 Harley Davidson FLHRSE12 Screamin' Eagle Road King
Limited Edition 100th Anniversary
http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/gallery/452_21_04_11_11_12_33.jpg

jhuff

« Reply #160 on: March 08, 2018, 07:36:00 PM »

Yes, 1973 Z1-900...
Jim

Mikey

• 2003 Harley Davidson FLHRSE12 Screamin' Eagle Road King
  • Senior CVO Member
  • Get the gold, make the rules!

• CVO1: FLHRSEi2 2003
    • CVO2: FLTRUSE 2015
    • Classic Muscle Bikes
« Reply #161 on: March 08, 2018, 08:45:51 PM »

Wow that is a great bike! If it is ever for sale I would be a serious buyer. Did you restore or is the original paint really that nice?
GET THE GOLD, MAKE THE RULES!
2003 Harley Davidson FLHRSE12 Screamin' Eagle Road King
Limited Edition 100th Anniversary
http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/gallery/452_21_04_11_11_12_33.jpg

jhuff

« Reply #162 on: March 08, 2018, 10:01:31 PM »

Thanks!  Yes, original paint.  Mirrors, handle bars, grips, super coils, electronic DynaIII and exhaust are not original, but I have the original parts.  Oh, also, I changed the final drive ratio(higher for more top speed).  Never liked the original bars, removed them, I don't know, maybe 35 years ago or so.  The bars are from a Honda 900 custom.  I purchased the bike from the 1st owner, a family friend, in all in factory trim with about 6,000 miles, now has, just walked to the garage, 18,403.  One thing for sure, no shaft drive 900 or 1000 Honda could touch it in a 1/4 mile run back in the day. LOL 
Jim

HoustonBussa

• www.lokeywears.com
    • TX

• CVO1: 2011 Road Glide CVO Ultra
    • Lo-Key Wears
« Reply #163 on: March 09, 2018, 03:21:32 PM »

My very first bike was a Honda-Matic 400. I learned how to ride on this bike. I remember my friend had a bike and before I knew nut to butt wasn't cool, I rode behind him. I had to get one. I talked about riding like there was nothing else in the world. But I didn't even know how to even shop for a motorcycle.  Well one when I got home, my dad was standing in the driveway standing next to a shinny red motorcycle. Oh, I was in envy.. Asking 20k questions. He pointed out all the functionality of the bike and told me to sit on it. I couldn't contain myself. He finally gave me the keys and say "Don't wreck, because your mom will never let you ride again."  Well guess what.. I wrecked. I was coming home from football practice. Rush hour had died down. So almost no one on the street with me. So I gun it and wanted to try and take the corner as if I wanted to drag a knee.  Well needless to say, that bike wasn't built like that. Not to mention that as I got all the way over, I went through a pile of gravel. As I slide on to the street I was trying to turn on, I had crossed over two lanes of what would have been my lanes in to the two lanes of on coming traffic And as I was trying to gain control of the bike, what did I see... ONE.. THE ONLY  ONE car on the road that happened to be coming towards me. Not knowing any better I decided to lay the bike over. I came of the bike on my feet. As the bike slid I ran, trying to keep my feet under me. The bike stopped WAY before I was able to. By this time I realized that the oncoming car was easily a quarter mile down the road, she was able to stop her vehicle WAY before her or I would have been of any danger to each other.  As I was finally able to get my feet beneath me under control, I turned around and walked back to the bike. As I approached it, she drove up to my side and rolled down her window. She said "I saw you when you lost it. Are you ok?". Not trying to show my embarrassment I kicked the tank of the helpless bike as if it were a dog that had did something wrong after I walked in the house from a bad day. I replied, "Stupid bike! Yes ma'am, I am fine thank you" as I preceded to attempt to lift for the first time, a bike that was on its side. I wish I had known there was an actual method for it.  As she drove off I struggled to get this bike back on its rubber. Finally with some success I got her up. After a few minutes of settling gas, I was even able to get her started. After a short celebration, I quickly heard my dad's voice in my head. "Don't wreck, or you mom will never let you ride again"..... Oh chit.. How am I going to hide this? I ended up ridding to every shop I could find to find parts for the handlebar damage which was so easy, that even today, i don't recall what was broken other than the front brake lever.  There was a crash bar, so there was no damage to the paint. What was killing me was the replacement mirror. To get an exact mirror, it was WAY out of a high school student's pocket money from part time job's range. I ended up getting a glass shop to cut a FLAT piece of glass mirror to fit in the mount. On a side note, I will NEVER recommend doing this as you'll never see anything out of that mirror unless you make it a vanity mirror. I got home late that evening after installing parts in the parking lots of the places where there items were purchased and having the glass shop glue the mirror in to it's mount. I pulled the bike in my parent's garage very close to the wall so no one would notice the damage and acted like nothing happened. Years later after my mom passed, I brought this bike up to my dad and asked him if he remembers what he instructed me. Before I could tell him that I DID in fact wreck that bike, he stated he knew I wrecked it but he never told my mom and he saw my poor attempt at fixing everything to hide the fact and just let it all slide.

HoustonBussa

• www.lokeywears.com
    • TX

• CVO1: 2011 Road Glide CVO Ultra
    • Lo-Key Wears
« Reply #164 on: March 09, 2018, 03:29:10 PM »

My second, and probably my most favorite bike was a Kawasaki KZ650. I ended up adding a fix fairing much like the one pictured below. With my pull out stereo unit, my hard bags and truck on here, you couldn't tell me anything. This was the first bike that I ever truly left my comfort zone. I left Abilene Texas (about two hours west of Fort Worth) and headed to Phoenix Arizona. This is also when I realized that I10 was straight and boring. OH!!! And that it takes a day worth of riding to get out of Texas. I stopped in El Paso. This bike and I have the most memories and I would end up writing a book on it trying to share it.  If I just had money and space  for one, I would get one just to relive my memories.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13

Page created in 0.18 seconds with 24 queries.