Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Temp reading on ultra  (Read 6325 times)

Flatvalley

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • ND

Temp reading on ultra
« on: July 23, 2015, 02:40:17 PM »

I was looking at the Harley page on the features of the 2015 Ultra Limited CVO and that page states that when you press the info button, the infotainment screen displays the ambient temperature, the oil pressure and the engine temperature.  Does anyone know if the 2014 readout can be updated to include the engine temperature?  My bike only gives me the air temp and the oil pressure.  Engine temp would sure be helpful.
2014 Ultra limited CVO
2005 GL1800
2003 VTX1800S

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
Re: Temp reading on ultra
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2015, 03:00:48 PM »

When I go to the Boom pages on the Harley website, the little tutorial shows the info screen only has the air temperature, the oil pressure, and EITMS status (disabled, enabled).  I don't see anything about the engine temperature.  Where exactly did you see this on the Harley site?

http://boombox.harley-davidson.com/premium.html#vehicle_status

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

tdkkart

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • IA

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2015, 03:09:54 PM »

My '15 CVO Road Glide only shows ambient temp, oil pressure, and EITMS status. No temp.

My Power Vision does give me temps, head temp, water temp and some other "calculated" head temp.
2015 CVO Road Glide

Flatvalley

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • ND

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2015, 03:11:01 PM »

On the Specs and pricing section of the official Harley Web site for the 2015 Ultra Limited CVO I copied the following:   Vehicle Information Screen (Air temperature, oil pressure and engine temperature)
2014 Ultra limited CVO
2005 GL1800
2003 VTX1800S

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2015, 04:26:48 PM »

On the Specs and pricing section of the official Harley Web site for the 2015 Ultra Limited CVO I copied the following:   Vehicle Information Screen (Air temperature, oil pressure and engine temperature)

I think what you have is just one more example of Harley's spec pages being written by folks who don't talk to each other and who don't check the final output for accuracy.  I'll attach a screen print of the current Boom features page from the same website.

It would be a nice feature to have a screen that included important information like coolant temperature, engine temperature, oil pressure, etc., but for whatever reason Harley has been in love with that ambient air temperature thing for a very long time.  Personally, when I'm riding a motorcycle I can usually figure out what the ambient air temperature is without pressing any buttons or glancing at gauges.  When riding in a sealed up car or truck, then an ambient temp display is actually useful in some situations.

Maybe they can include the important stuff in one of the hundreds of updates I expect we will see over the next few years.

Jerry

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Flatvalley

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • ND

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2015, 04:30:16 PM »

Thanks, was just wishing it was true rather than purchasing a oil fill cap with a digital gauge that the reviews state is a waste of money. 
2014 Ultra limited CVO
2005 GL1800
2003 VTX1800S

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2015, 04:30:46 PM »

Looks like the Moco found another way to save money. Take away two gauges and put the info on the new screen.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2015, 05:28:58 PM »

Btw, the mistake was made in 2014 and just carried over to the 2015 spec page.  See the attachment, another screen print but this time from the 2014 spec page.  Good job Harley.  Almost as good as using the same seat height and ground clearance numbers for the standard height and the Low version of the Ultra in those spec pages. ;D

Jerry

tdkkart

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • IA

« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2015, 08:02:03 PM »

I'll bet that the lack of a visible oil pressure gauge will drastically reduce the number of questions at the
service department counters........
2015 CVO Road Glide

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2015, 12:37:31 PM »

I'll bet that the lack of a visible oil pressure gauge will drastically reduce the number of questions at the
service department counters........

Absolutely.  And I'll also bet the reason they don't have the engine temp, oil temp, or coolant temp shown is to avoid all the complaints those would cause.  Tell many people their coolant runs at 220 degrees for instance, and they will have a mini-stroke.  Tell them their motor oil runs at 240 to 280 degrees and they will have a full stroke.  Much easier to just eliminate all the worry inducing information.

I think I've told this story before,  but in the auto business we used to get complaints all the time about things like "my oil pressure drops after a long drive", or "my temp gauge reads higher than my buddies gauge, there has to be something wrong with my engine", or similar stuff from uninformed people.  Eventually we basically neutered the gauges to eliminate all the misguided complaints.  All numbers were removed, replaced on the temp gauge for example by a narrow "cold" band, a very wide "normal" band, and a narrow "hot" band.  We thought that would take care of it, but we underestimated the folks we were dealing with.  Even though the needle remained in the normal band, it didn't stay in the center of the green band but varied from the lower side to the upper side.  So we got "my gauge runs to the right of center of the green band and my buddies gauge runs in the middle".  Same kind of thing with oil pressure gauges btw.  So we ultimately turned those gauges into nothing more than fancier looking idiot lights.  Same narrow "cold" band, wide "normal" band, and narrow "hot" band, but now the gauge just remained centered in the normal band until the temperature changed significantly.  Hot weather, cold weather, pulling a load, cruising down a long grade, idling at a light, whatever, the needle just sat there and didn't  move.  And guess what, the constant complaints finally disappeared, even though no change had been made to the actual engines or cooling systems and the actual temperatures or pressures still varied under varying conditions, like they always have.  Just like Jack Nicholson told Tom Cruise, many people can't handle the truth.

Jerry

Harley Guy

• Elite CVO Member
  • RIDE ON ...............
    • OH

• CVO1: 2009 CVO Ultra Classic.... Ruby - sold
    • CVO2: 2015 CVO Limited........... Dirty Blonde
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2015, 08:56:45 PM »

Absolutely.  And I'll also bet the reason they don't have the engine temp, oil temp, or coolant temp shown is to avoid all the complaints those would cause.  Tell many people their coolant runs at 220 degrees for instance, and they will have a mini-stroke.  Tell them their motor oil runs at 240 to 280 degrees and they will have a full stroke.  Much easier to just eliminate all the worry inducing information.

I think I've told this story before,  but in the auto business we used to get complaints all the time about things like "my oil pressure drops after a long drive", or "my temp gauge reads higher than my buddies gauge, there has to be something wrong with my engine", or similar stuff from uninformed people.  Eventually we basically neutered the gauges to eliminate all the misguided complaints.  All numbers were removed, replaced on the temp gauge for example by a narrow "cold" band, a very wide "normal" band, and a narrow "hot" band.  We thought that would take care of it, but we underestimated the folks we were dealing with.  Even though the needle remained in the normal band, it didn't stay in the center of the green band but varied from the lower side to the upper side.  So we got "my gauge runs to the right of center of the green band and my buddies gauge runs in the middle".  Same kind of thing with oil pressure gauges btw.  So we ultimately turned those gauges into nothing more than fancier looking idiot lights.  Same narrow "cold" band, wide "normal" band, and narrow "hot" band, but now the gauge just remained centered in the normal band until the temperature changed significantly.  Hot weather, cold weather, pulling a load, cruising down a long grade, idling at a light, whatever, the needle just sat there and didn't  move.  And guess what, the constant complaints finally disappeared, even though no change had been made to the actual engines or cooling systems and the actual temperatures or pressures still varied under varying conditions, like they always have.  Just like Jack Nicholson told Tom Cruise, many people can't handle the truth.

Jerry

I have always thought this as well.
Good commentary!.
"

Harleywild1hog

• My new ride
    • CA

• CVO1: CVO 2014 Limited
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2015, 12:22:34 PM »

Harleywild1hog
Jerry you are the man. I agree with you 125 percent. I really like your value your opinion.

Harleywild1hog :orange: :orange:

tdkkart

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • IA

« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2015, 04:03:54 PM »

I think I've told this story before,  but in the auto business we used to get complaints all the time about things like "my oil pressure drops after a long drive", or "my temp gauge reads higher than my buddies gauge, there has to be something wrong with my engine", or similar stuff from uninformed people.  Eventually we basically neutered the gauges to eliminate all the misguided complaints.  All numbers were removed, replaced on the temp gauge for example by a narrow "cold" band, a very wide "normal" band, and a narrow "hot" band.  We thought that would take care of it, but we underestimated the folks we were dealing with.  Even though the needle remained in the normal band, it didn't stay in the center of the green band but varied from the lower side to the upper side.  So we got "my gauge runs to the right of center of the green band and my buddies gauge runs in the middle".  Same kind of thing with oil pressure gauges btw.  So we ultimately turned those gauges into nothing more than fancier looking idiot lights.  Same narrow "cold" band, wide "normal" band, and narrow "hot" band, but now the gauge just remained centered in the normal band until the temperature changed significantly.  Hot weather, cold weather, pulling a load, cruising down a long grade, idling at a light, whatever, the needle just sat there and didn't  move.  And guess what, the constant complaints finally disappeared, even though no change had been made to the actual engines or cooling systems and the actual temperatures or pressures still varied under varying conditions, like they always have.  Just like Jack Nicholson told Tom Cruise, many people can't handle the truth.Jerry

This is a pet peeve of mine as well. Along with my fascination for things that go Vroom in the night, my father more or less taught me to be a gauge nut. I grew up on the farm and was taught/required to keep an eye on what was happening because when something went wrong you had better be able to tell him what the gauges were reading when it happened. I learned early on what each gauge was for, what it meant, and how it was expected to work.
I like gauges, I like knowing what's going on, and gauges that don't really do anything chap me because I know they are that way because of the utter incompetence of the general population.  I sorta carry around the opinion that if you don't know what you're operating, maybe you shouldn't be.
 I have my Power Vision tuner permanently mounted on my bike with 4 pages of gauges set up to read just about everything available.
2015 CVO Road Glide

Page created in 0.183 seconds with 23 queries.