Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Author Topic: Windshield Bag  (Read 8099 times)

DakotaZeb

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
Windshield Bag
« on: September 26, 2009, 10:20:57 AM »

Does anyone know of a windshield bag(s) that will fit a '03 SERK with the stock 7-hole windshield mount?  One that will sit above the tach.

SERK3

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 07 FLHRSE3
Re: Windshield Bag
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2009, 02:09:01 PM »

If you find one let me know, I have looked for one for 3 years, Don't think there is such an animal.  :2vrolijk_21:
07 SCREAMIN EAGLE ROAD KING, RAZOR RED WITH GOLD FLAMES
V&H DUALS WITH HI-OUTPUT SLIP-ONS, ZIPPERS THUNDER MAX w/AUTOTUNE, NESS BIG SUCKER, LED TURN AND BRAKE LIGHTS. FARING, HARD BAGS & KING TOUR PAK.
LIVE EASY, RIDE HARD

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2009, 02:00:49 PM »

Either replace the W/S with a 5-hole mounted one, or drill your own holes in any of the HD W/S bags. That's the only option I know of. ;)

Hoist! :coolblue:
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

Majorrocky

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2008 FLHRSE4 / SERK
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2009, 04:28:37 PM »

Here’s what I did on on '08 SERK... which should be the same...

Windshield Bag part # -- 56629-00A  -- Note that this was in the ’08 parts book but not the ’09 (haven't checked '10) so it may not be available any longer.  Chicago Harley & Surdyke still list them but you'll need to check.  Here's a link that shows a picture of the bag: 

http://www.surdyke.com/hd/product.asp?prod=84291&cat=377

I had to replace the bolts and nuts for the two outside mounting holes because at the outside the stock bolts weren’t long enough to get through the shield, plates and bag.  Finding the right ones -- i.e. matching bolt head pattern, just longer, was the tougest part of this whole deal.   ???

I can’t find all of my receipts on this but I do have the part numbers below written down (I don’t remember if these were the final ones I bought or just some that I tried and couldn’t get to work).   :confused5:

Screw, button head 5/16-18  – part # 94388-92T
Acorn nut – part # 94006-90T

For the process (and for what it’s worth), what I had to do was:
•   Take out all 5 of the bolts across the middle portion of the shield
•   Mount the bag using the bolt for the center of the shield – the bag comes with a “mount hole” included – you only need the bolt for the center
•   With the bag still mounted using the center bolt, I drilled holes through the back of the bag using the shield bracket holes as guides
•   Mount the bolts and Voila!!!   :2vrolijk_21:

DakotaZeb

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2009, 05:25:28 PM »

Could post some pics?  Thanks.

:worthless:

Majorrocky

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2009, 06:02:12 PM »

Didn't have any pics handy... but now you've peer pressured me into taking some...  8)

The quality of the pics isn't that great so my apologies but it's pouring down rain here right now so I can't go take 'em outside in the "natural" light...

Pic 1 of 4...

Majorrocky

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2009, 06:05:43 PM »

This is meant to show how the two acorn nuts on the outside holes (far left on this pic) are larger than the oem versions.  In order to get longer bolts I had to get them a little larger size than stock.  I was impatient so I'm pretty sure you could find the right size and the length you need if work with your local dealer...  :confused5:

Majorrocky

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2009, 06:08:07 PM »

Again, horrible photography  :-\ but the point on this one is to show that those two outside bolts that hold the bag (bolts 2 and 6 if you start counting from the left) are just a smidge larger than the others...

Majorrocky

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2009, 06:10:49 PM »

And finally... my sad attempt to show that the bolt head pattern on the stock bolts is different than the longer ones that I found -- stock = star & new = hex.

Anyway... best of luck to you... it wasn't nearly as difficult as I've probably made it look / sound... :-[

DakotaZeb

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2009, 06:45:35 PM »

The problem that my '03 SERK presents is that the tach sits right where your bag is.  Your setup won't work on an '03.  But thanks for the pics.

Majorrocky

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2009, 06:55:10 PM »

Man... my apologies... I read right past the '03 portion of your original post...  I guess I saw 7-hole and my mind went to '07... which is the same as mine...

:oops:

Sorry about that... 

EZRIDN

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG - Paying tribute to an American legend
    • NE

• CVO1: FLHRSEI2
    • CVO2: 1947 FL
    • CVO3: 2004 FXSTI
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2009, 01:52:02 PM »

Does anyone know of a windshield bag(s) that will fit a '03 SERK with the stock 7-hole windshield mount?  One that will sit above the tach.

DZ,

I have a leather split windshield bag on my '03 that basically straddles the tach....essentially gives two vertical bags. 
Good for sun/reading glasses on one side & maps on the other.

I'm pretty sure Leatherworks was the manufacturer....sad thing is, they don't make these anymore...I bought mine in early '04.   You might contact them and see if they would bring back/re-tool for a special order (ie: group order?).  www.leatherworksinc.com     I'm trying to remember, I thought there was a thread on this from way back?

I'll take a pic & post later today so you can get an idea.   I mounted mine on a standard RK windshield...but mounting to other frames would just require drilling matching holes in the backside of the bag if need be.  I get lots of questions when people see it. 

...ez
"My goal is to become that old person everyone is afraid to take out in public."

"I would like to apologize to anyone I have not yet offended...please be patient...I will get to you shortly ."

HD Owners Tip #39:  "Although the manual doesn't mention it, some swearing seems to help most machines run a little better."

EZRIDN

• Elite CVO Member
    • NE

« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2009, 09:37:30 PM »

First of four pics....each of the pouches measures approximately 4 inches by 7 1/2 inches by 2 1/2 inches....
"My goal is to become that old person everyone is afraid to take out in public."

"I would like to apologize to anyone I have not yet offended...please be patient...I will get to you shortly ."

HD Owners Tip #39:  "Although the manual doesn't mention it, some swearing seems to help most machines run a little better."

EZRIDN

• Elite CVO Member
    • NE

« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2009, 09:38:39 PM »

Two of four....

EZRIDN

• Elite CVO Member
    • NE

« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2009, 09:40:59 PM »

Three of four....sorry for the darkness...it's what happens now days with the fall months coming into full swing...had all the lights on in the shop too.

EZRIDN

• Elite CVO Member
    • NE

« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2009, 09:44:07 PM »

Last one....shows the backside of the bag.  Has very soft backing of almost felt-like material.  Should get the windshield cleaned...didn't notice the bug stuff until looking at the picture just now. 

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2009, 09:45:19 PM »

I know that part of the the "look" of the original classic SERK's is this silver speedo and the remote mounted tach.  But neither moving handlebar mounted tachometers nor difficulties in easy use decent sized windshield bags on Road Kings have ever been things I was fond of. 

It's both of those things that has had me thinking strongly about the combined speedo/tach instrument in the SERK dash rather than the remote tach.  Could then use any windshield bag might find or have made and have the tach always in one place.  Decisions decisions....

EZRIDN

• Elite CVO Member
    • NE

« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2009, 09:52:33 PM »

I know that part of the the "look" of the original classic SERK's is this silver speedo and the remote mounted tach.  But neither moving handlebar mounted tachometers nor difficulties in easy use decent sized windshield bags on Road Kings have ever been things I was fond of. 

It's both of those things that has had me thinking strongly about the combined speedo/tach instrument in the SERK dash rather than the remote tach.  Could then use any windshield bag might find or have made and have the tach always in one place.  Decisions decisions....

You are quite right Don...   

The tach placement presents more issues than benefit.  I had always wanted to get a detach fairing, but there again I have this obstacle to overcome.  Yeah, I could go the cluster/combo route...but have chosen not.   I always remind myself of the days when I never had a windshield...always had the opinion that those things were for old dudes.   Now I are one and wouldn't be caught out on the road without one.   :P

CVOJOE

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Life's a journey, why not enjoy the ride?
« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2009, 08:13:41 PM »

The split bags pictured above are from http://www.eagleleatherworks.com/ and you'll have to call them to get the specific part number. I have it somewhere at home in the SERK folder......but they do really quality stuff and it it not done in Bangladesh or Pakistan either.  :2vrolijk_21:  :2vrolijk_21:

Joe
2003 FLHRSEI2. (Sold) :(

Horsepower is how fast you hit a wall.Torque is how far you will take the wall with you.

freshkeg

• CVO1: 2008 SERK
« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2009, 04:47:02 PM »

You might want to take a look at this bracket. It moves the windshield bag up, that way it doesn't hit the tac.
www.formotionproducts.com/raiseit.htm

EZRIDN

• Elite CVO Member
    • NE

« Reply #20 on: December 02, 2009, 12:10:11 AM »

The split bags pictured above are from http://www.eagleleatherworks.com/ and you'll have to call them to get the specific part number. I have it somewhere at home in the SERK folder......but they do really quality stuff and it it not done in Bangladesh or Pakistan either.  :2vrolijk_21:  :2vrolijk_21:

Joe

Joe, you are correct...it was eagle leatherworks.  After I checked the website you gave...then I recognized that was them for sure.   (I knew there was leatherworks in the string/name somewhere and had thought it was the other one)

Regardless...these folks produce high quality products made in the good old USA....can't go wrong with their stuff.

DakotaZeb

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #21 on: December 02, 2009, 10:44:28 AM »

Has anyone check to see if the split bag is still available?  I hated to call them if a bunch of other were also.  any idea on price?

EZRIDN

• Elite CVO Member
    • NE

« Reply #22 on: December 02, 2009, 11:07:44 AM »

Has anyone check to see if the split bag is still available?  I hated to call them if a bunch of other were also.  any idea on price?

Stroke of luck here...my wife found the receipt.  Was $99 + $15 shipping...$114 total.  There is no part number listed...just noted in the description as:  S/W Bag

American Eagle Leatherworks Inc.
22 Creekside Way
Greenville, SC  296096902
(864) 292-8810
www.eagleleatherworks.com

Might just go ahead & give 'em a call yourself...nice friendly people as I remember....or could email.

DakotaZeb

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #23 on: December 03, 2009, 10:31:51 AM »

I emailed Eagle Leatherworks and here's the response I got:

We still have the pattern for the split windshield bag, and can make them
at your request.  This item would be considered a custom order and
therefore non-returnable since we no longer stock it.  Price is $119 plus
shipping.

If you are interested, please phone me to place your order.

Darlene Bovee
American Eagle Leatherworks
864/414-0666

Gettinold

• 5k CVO Member
  • SOMEWHERE NORTH OF HEAVEN WHERE EAGLES DONT FLY
« Reply #24 on: December 04, 2009, 12:23:06 PM »

I have a 100th Anniv. w/s bag if your interested.
09 FLTRSE3   ORG & BLK
06 VRSCSE2    ORG & BLK
04 FLHTCSE   ORG & BLK    SOLD
94 FXSTS      CUSTOM

CVOJOE

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #25 on: December 06, 2009, 04:51:10 PM »

Was $99 + $15 shipping...$114 total as stated here already. $5 Price increase seems reasonable since it's probably been 2 years since I bought mine. They're really great people to deal with as well.  :2vrolijk_21:

Horsepower is how fast you hit a wall.Torque is how far you will take the wall with you.

DakotaZeb

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #26 on: December 06, 2009, 05:06:01 PM »

CVOJOE,

Re-read the email from American Eagle Leatherworks.  It's $119 PLUS shipping.  That's a $20 increase depending on the shipping charge.

CVOJOE

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #27 on: December 12, 2009, 05:11:45 PM »

Sorry, I was focused on the old pricing........still not too bad for the quality. From the MOCO they'd be $250 or something like that.

Pages: 1 2 [All]

Page created in 0.198 seconds with 24 queries.