Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5 [All]

Author Topic: Crack Down On Novelty Motorcycle Helmets  (Read 21346 times)

RedMoon

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 FLSTSE 3
    • CVO2: 2013 FXSBSE
Crack Down On Novelty Motorcycle Helmets
« on: May 21, 2015, 09:11:56 AM »

Chains

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • FL

Re: Crack Down On Novelty Motorcycle Helmets
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2015, 09:18:59 AM »

Not a fan of government intervention and at one time this would have really upset me.  Now with all the inferior products hitting our shores and the fact that there is no reason to have novelty helmets anymore I hope it works.  Was a time I  stopped riding  because of helmet mandates, not anymore, I like the thought of being safe or at least having the feeling of safety with a quality helmet.

JMHO
2009 FLHTCUSE
12 inch Monkey bars
Stage one kit
Fullsac SS titanium coated DX dual pipe
Kuryakyn 4 inch Mellow Crushers
Color Matched Bushtec Turbo 2
1st Active member of the CVO Critter Gawkers Society

kiro

• 1K CVO Member
    • ME

• CVO1: 2017 FLHTKSE
    • CVO2: 1986 FXR Super Glide - antique, but the Evo lives on!
    • A Shot in the Dark
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2015, 10:23:20 AM »

Novelty helmets have been around for a long as motorcycles - I'm surprised this hasn't been addressed in detail long before now...

CVOStreetglide

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2015 CVO Street Glide
    • CVO2: 2012 CVO Street Glide (Sold)
    • CVO3: 2010 CVO Street Glide (Sold) CVO4: 2006 VRXSE DESTROYER (Sold)
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2015, 05:03:53 PM »

Novelty helmets have been around for a long as motorcycles - I'm surprised this hasn't been addressed in detail long before now...

It has over and over and over again!!

The problem in my assessment is that the studies are biased and produced as part of a larger agenda- reinstituting mandatory helmets laws in all states. Don't think for a minute that the helmet manufactures aren't complicit in this. They miss the revenue!!

What I would support is a unbiased study that drills much deeper into the reasons for injuries.

In numbers, crashes are down year over year as are the percentage of crashes/riders.

The last time I looked at a credible study the following stats were true;

1. Over 60% and growing of motorcycle accidents were attributed to excessive drinking.
2. A large percentage of the remaining 40% was due to new riders inexperienced in riding.
3.  Another large percentage of the remaing 40% was directly attributed to the motorcycle rider being struck by a car (T-Boning, turned into lane changes--etc.

The numbers won't add up to 100% but you get the drift.

ALSO, it is important to know that a helmet is not designed to protect you in a accident above 20-25 mph. They actually conduct what is called a drop test from a ladder.--14' . Also, if your  helment was used in a accident--cracked or not it is rendered unusable and you are supposed to buy a new one. I am not sure of the current thinking regarding time but a helmet needs to be replaced if worn over 3-4 years. The padding breaks down over time rendering it marginally useful for it's intended purpose.

Helmets have been the cause of death or significant injury in a accident. Our bodies are not designed to handle say whiplash at speed with a helmet on. Your neck can be broken because you were wearing a helmet.

THE GOOD NEWS---Over the last 20-30 years there have been significant improvements in helmet design as a result of meaningful dialog like this with credible information. As a result helments are considerably lighter, stronger and make the user safer. Think of the old Bell Helmets verses today as an example. 

Jet pilots, racers of all kinds and yes motorcycle riders are the beneficiaries.

I have always thought that if say Harley or Victory--etc in partnership with the helmet manufacturers would come up with a hard bag NOT TOUR PACK that legal helmets would fit in and allow them to be locked up when not in use, there would be more buyers/users.

LASTLY, develop some meaningful  helmet crash/impact standards that provide value.

It's somebody elses turn 😃😃

Chains

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • FL

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2015, 05:30:33 PM »

Every three to four years I dispose of my old helmets. To make sure no one uses them I cut the straps off, strip the padding and drill a few holes in them. I figure if I don't think there usable I certainly don't want someone at the landfill grabbing them up and selling them on eBay to some poor soul.   I agree helmets have come a long way and we are the beneficiaries.  Also wish they fit in my tour pack. :2vrolijk_21:
« Last Edit: May 21, 2015, 06:46:13 PM by Chains »
2009 FLHTCUSE
12 inch Monkey bars
Stage one kit

03Lightningrocks

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • TX

• CVO1: 2013 Road King
    • HVAC
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2015, 06:11:10 PM »

Not really pertinent to novelty helmets but I have noticed a trend at "bike rallies". The first day or two, many are wearing their helmets. Within three to four days, you will play hell finding a rider with a helmet on. I am guilty as the rest in this weird quirk of human nature.

Jswerve

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE3
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2015, 06:13:35 PM »

What's a helmet? No crackdown here in good ol Iowa.

2012 FLHXSE3 Ruby Red/Typhoon Maroon
|Color Matched Detachable Tour Pak | Fuelmoto PV | Dragos 580 cams | Dragula 2-1/Ghost Pipe | Cyclesmith 13's | Sachs heads | Yaffe Stealth III License Plate Frame| Long Angled High

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2015, 07:11:49 PM »

Some buy novelty helmets instead of good ones just to spit in the eyes of the authorities who tell them they have to wear one (as if the authorities somehow care).  Some are just cheap and buy the cheapest thing on the market.  To those people I like to say, if you have a $50 head, then buy a $50 helmet. 

Jerry

Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

HighOnHD

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • WA

• CVO1: 2015 FLHXSE UV Blue/Molten Lava
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2015, 12:15:49 AM »

I have a novelty helmet!!

A group of us rode the Baja peninsula in '96 and '97. Took a week going down each time. Stayed a week in Cabo, and then took a week getting back out. We had a friend and others driving a motorhome and trailer for support. Anyway, a friend/driver went out and bought all of us riders novelty helmets in which he had custom slogans that each of us had individually "earned" on the trips as well as a map of the Baja on each of the helmets.

My helmet sits on a bookshelf in the office serving its purpose... as a novelty.  :2vrolijk_21:

I have crashed and landed on my head several times. Twice it knocked me out. Once my vision was blurry for about twenty minutes. This was with real helmets on. Probably would not be typing this otherwise.  :oops: Now I guess I have spilled my secret, and everyone knows why I am messed up in the head.

D-N-D

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • PA

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTKSE Limited / Moonlight Blue & Deep Sea Blue
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2015, 06:28:14 AM »

Has anyone tried this Helmet @ bikerhelmets.com they say it's worlds smallest- lightest DOT beanie helmet ??? ( Made in China has me thinking it's not very good ?? ) I was thinking about trying one it's cost $99.00 the Carbon one is $149.00
DND

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2015, 08:28:10 AM »

Has anyone tried this Helmet @ bikerhelmets.com they say it's worlds smallest- lightest DOT beanie helmet ??? ( Made in China has me thinking it's not very good ?? ) I was thinking about trying one it's cost $99.00 the Carbon one is $149.00

The Chinese have also claimed a lot of other products they dumped over here met standards that they did not meet.  I don't know I would trust them.  Once again however, if you think your head is only worth $99, go for it.

Jerry

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

MrSurly

• Formidable Faux
  • Elite CVO Member
    • TX

« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2015, 10:38:00 AM »

The problem in my assessment is that the studies are biased and produced as part of a larger agenda Must be a conspiracy.

What I would support is a unbiased study that drills much deeper into the reasons for injuries. Yeah, probably nobody has looked into this.

<snip>The last time I looked at a credible study<snip> Does your assessment of 'credibility' begin with "if it agrees with me"?

ALSO, it is important to know that a helmet is not designed to protect you in a accident above 20-25 mph.<snip> Total BS. (and the usual speed cited by the lid-hater-talking-points is 14 MPH) Watch a MotoGp race. Watch someone (in full leathers) have a get-off at 150MPH, sliding/flipping/banging grinding... and then stand up, and walk away. Look at the many pics of helmets with massive abrasions on them that were worn by uninjured riders... Are you TRULY going to suggest that the helmet played no role and that it wasn't designed to help? That is just illogical and blatantly false. Yes, it is true that if you hit a concrete wall straight on at high speed, then yes, the helmet has a limit and when you exceed it, you'll get injured or get dead. Having the helmet on didn't make you dead. The truth is that the vast majority of helmet involvement in crashes is oblique; glancing blows and grinding/bouncing on the pavement. Helmets are incredibly, unarguably very very helpful in this use.

<snip>Helmets have been the cause of death or significant injury in a accident. <snip> Absolute balderdash. Here's an older discussion  http://www.msgroup.org/forums/mtt/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=10094, cited here simply because it includes a bunch links for convenience.There are NO studies that indicate that helmets cause significant injury. NONE

<snip>I have always thought that if say Harley or Victory--etc in partnership with the helmet manufacturers would come up with a hard bag NOT TOUR PACK that legal helmets would fit in and allow them to be locked up when not in use, there would be more buyers/users. <snip> Legal half-lids will fit in most bags. Full face will require a King Tourpak but there are *other* motorcycles that will hold them in their saddlebags.

LASTLY, develop some meaningful  helmet crash/impact standards that provide value. <snip> DOT/SNELL/SHARP are meaningless?

It's somebody elses turn 😃😃 INDEED

I don't want to be "that guy", but I cannot sit idly by and see this same old bullcrap repeated and left unchallenged. These same old talking points get regurgitated year after year and they remain as false as when they were first uttered.
Real studies DO exist.
Lid haters dislike them
Helmets don't magically save EVERY life. Lid haters say "SEE, they don't work!"
Lid haters make up crap like "helmets kill people" instead of just saying the truth, which is "we don't like them"
The real issue is personal freedom, which I fully support and will defend. I fight for no-lid laws.
But, physics is physics and facts is facts.
Don't be makin' sh!t up.
Rhetorical questions, who needs 'em?

2010FLHTCUSE5
Dethroned Garage Queen, Sullied 2013

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2015, 12:21:43 PM »

I guess those who ride without helmets also don't use safety belts in their autos/trucks.  Just sayin'

How anyone who is the least bit informed can choose to ride sans helmet is simply beyond me.  Of course folks smoke, drink to excess and use controlled substances so I know the human brain can rationalize most anything in to believing that 'it won't happen to me.'

I'd have checked out for sure in '09 when I had a little parking lot crash and hit my head hard enough to cause a concussion even with a helmet.  It was a half helmet and now I wear only a modular.  Not always but the majority of the time your head is going to contact the road/ground if you crash.

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

HighOnHD

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • WA

« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2015, 12:23:39 PM »

Just for the record... I am 100% for freedom of choice.

As far as helmets possibly being the cause of deaths or otherwise... I personally believe they probably have on occasion. It is difficult to prove one way or the other in this regard. I know of several who have been paralyzed from the neck down, and it was believed that the full-face chin caught and snapped the neck. Did it?? Who knows. I believe it is possible and likely though to happen sometimes.

For me though it is a risk vs reward sort of thing. I wear a helmet because I believe the probability is in my favor that it will help more than hurt.

CVOStreetglide

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2015, 02:30:39 PM »

I don't want to be "that guy", but I cannot sit idly by and see this same old bullcrap repeated and left unchallenged. These same old talking points get regurgitated year after year and they remain as false as when they were first uttered.
Real studies DO exist.
Lid haters dislike them
Lid haters make up crap like "helmets kill people" instead of just saying the truth, which is "we don't like them"
The real issue is personal freedom, which I fully support and will defend. I fight for no-lid laws.
Don't be makin' sh!t up.

Well you sure do have a accurate Forum name.

I really don't know or care who sh.t in YOUR Cheerios. But in the REAL WORLD as opposed to yours the information I posted is in fact accurate.

You are entitled to your opinion as I am mine. But if you think for one minute that the Government studies are accurate interpretations of the motorcycle data you are naive and I really do have a bridge for you to buy. 

Most of the government DOT, NHTSC like many college professors publish because they don't "do."  The references in their papers come from others who have virtually no idea what end is the front of a motorcycle. It's called dumb squared. 

So, let's just agree to disagree.

« Last Edit: May 22, 2015, 02:33:11 PM by CVOStreetglide »

Jswerve

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE3
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2015, 02:58:03 PM »

Here we go again with the helmet police. BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH!!!!!! Jesus 1 guy posts something about the novelty helmets and all of sudden the helmet police come out with a vengeance. We get it, you're smarter than everyone. So how about you stop running around babbling about how great your helmet is and just agree to disagree. We don't have a helmet law here AND WE LOVE IT! Rarely does anyone wear a helmet around here and that because IT"S OUR CHOICE NOT YOURS. Why is that so damn hard to comprehend?

Now, I am going to go for a ride WITHOUT a helmet. MY RIGHT. You get on your damn soap box and keep on preaching. You don't know me and it's none of your concern just worry about your ugly melons.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but none of you are going to get out alive. So while you are here quit your damn preachin, wear or don't wear a helmet, and get out and ride.

>:(

2012 FLHXSE3 Ruby Red/Typhoon Maroon
|Color Matched Detachable Tour Pak | Fuelmoto PV | Dragos 580 cams | Dragula 2-1/Ghost Pipe | Cyclesmith 13's | Sachs heads | Yaffe Stealth III License Plate Frame| Long Angled High

FlaHeatWave

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '01 FXDWG2 RED 103 6sp
    • CVO2: '05 FLHTCSE2 CHERRY
    • CVO3: '09 FLTRSE3 YELLOW 117/DD7
« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2015, 04:19:21 PM »

Florida is a no helmet state, sometimes I don't wear a helmet, sometimes I wear a novelty helmet, sometimes I wear the Shark Evoline3 in hi-viz yellow (we call them the Power Rangers lol).

These days I wear a helmet more often than not, mostly for comfort (keeps my hair from knotting up).

It's good to have a choice... I've got enough of the government telling me what / what not to do :nervous:

As far as statistics go, in Florida; Motorcycle Fatalities, 52% without helmet, 48% with helmet.
"I've read dozens of books about heros and crooks, and learned much from both of their styles"

CVOStreetglide

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2015, 05:20:08 PM »

Florida is a no helmet state, sometimes I don't wear a helmet, sometimes I wear a novelty helmet, sometimes I wear the Shark Evoline3 in hi-viz yellow (we call them the Power Rangers lol).

These days I wear a helmet more often than not, mostly for comfort (keeps my hair from knotting up).

It's good to have a choice... I've got enough of the government telling me what / what not to do :nervous:

As far as statistics go, in Florida; Motorcycle Fatalities, 52% without helmet, 48% with helmet.

THE NEWSPAPER: "...something year old HARLEY rider was killed today while riding his motorcycle.
He was wearing a helmet and was "T" Boned by a 88 year old driver with cateracts who didn't hear or see him.   

HighOnHD

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • WA

« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2015, 10:00:04 AM »

Here we go again with the helmet police. BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH!!!!!! Jesus 1 guy posts something about the novelty helmets and all of sudden the helmet police come out with a vengeance. We get it, you're smarter than everyone. So how about you stop running around babbling about how great your helmet is and just agree to disagree. We don't have a helmet law here AND WE LOVE IT! Rarely does anyone wear a helmet around here and that because IT"S OUR CHOICE NOT YOURS. Why is that so damn hard to comprehend?

Now, I am going to go for a ride WITHOUT a helmet. MY RIGHT. You get on your damn soap box and keep on preaching. You don't know me and it's none of your concern just worry about your ugly melons.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but none of you are going to get out alive. So while you are here quit your damn preachin, wear or don't wear a helmet, and get out and ride.

>:(

Hey Jesse,

Come on and admit it! You know you are a closet helmet wearer.  :P

HighOnHD

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • WA

« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2015, 11:15:23 AM »

I have to admit I would tend to get pretty grumpy too if I did not want to wear a helmet, and I was afraid all the do-gooders were going to get together and force me to wear one. Not a happy thought.  :nixweiss:

MrSurly

• Formidable Faux
  • Elite CVO Member
    • TX

« Reply #20 on: May 23, 2015, 02:00:14 PM »

I don't care what anybody wears.
I USUALLY wear a lid, but not always, so I've no high horse to preach from.

I just have issues with bogus claims.

Ride free and I'll fight for your right.

2010FLHTCUSE5

smkymtnboy

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • TN

• CVO1: flhxse
    • CVO2: flhtcuse5
    • CVO3: flhtcuse6
« Reply #21 on: May 23, 2015, 02:13:13 PM »

if, you are asking!!? anything Chinese that must met a spec or standard is usually substandard and not to spec from tires to helmets. that is a fact. they continually cheat and misrepresent. and to think Harley is silly enough to buy Chinese made parts. oh boy!

cembo

• Time To Ride
    • NJ

• CVO1: FLHRSE6
« Reply #22 on: May 29, 2015, 09:33:35 PM »

Real studies DO exist.
Lid haters dislike them
Don't be makin' sh!t up.

Well said - nothing more to add!

Road Dad

• Senior CVO Member
    • MI

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited - 117 CU
« Reply #23 on: May 29, 2015, 11:06:18 PM »

I am for everyone having a choice but I don't want to pay for someone that chose to bounce their head of the Tarmac without a helmet and  stays in a coma for years -$$$$$$$$

Same thing with healthcare. Great to see that companies have the smokers and the obese paying for the higher risk. (That will be mandatory in 8-9 years is my guess). Again. If someone chose to smoke it's their choice.  I just don't want to pay for the cancer treatment.

So have your choice but pay for it. That seem fair to me.

mark

« Reply #24 on: May 31, 2015, 10:24:41 AM »

The article seems to suggest that some riders buy novelty helmets thinking they are "real" helmets.  Really?  Anyone with a non-DOT helmet knows what they have. 

bigdave110

• Senior CVO Member
  • I can't take it with me N I ain't givin it to you!
    • PA

• CVO1: 2008,11,12,13 FLHTCUSE (all sold)
    • CVO2: 2015 CVO street glide(sold) 2017 CVO Street Glide(sold)
    • CVO3: 2017 CVO street glide (Black)
« Reply #25 on: May 31, 2015, 10:44:45 AM »

My brother has a novelty helmet and has been using it for years.
I ask him every time we ride, why wear that damn thing, there is no helmet law now, just go with out it.
His response is always, (I am used to it).

Him and all his friends used to wear them sort of in protest, and they where much lighter than helmets of old.
With the new technology, the newer helmets are pretty light on the head.

Just my 2cents.

For the record, sometimes I wear one, sometimes I don't.  (Real helmet)

Not forcing my reasons and opinions on anyone else, please do not preach to me.

That being said.

Have a great day.   ;D

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

« Reply #26 on: May 31, 2015, 10:56:06 AM »

The article seems to suggest that some riders buy novelty helmets thinking they are "real" helmets.  Really?  Anyone with a non-DOT helmet knows what they have.

Most folks who've been riding for a long time know exactly what those "novelty" helmets really are.  However, the regulators and enforcement folks have to look out for those who really don't know any better.  It's no different than many other counterfeit or misleading products on the market.  People get scammed on other stuff like fake prescription drugs from our fine friends in China for instance.  Even reasonably well informed people can easily be scammed these days by people who are highly motivated.

For those who turned this into a "live free or die" thread, it's not about whether you should be forced to wear a helmet.  It's about the right of the consumer to know what he's buying is a legit product.  As for those who knowingly buy them to skirt helmet laws, as long as they know what they're buying isn't going to really protect them, and they are willing to accept responsibility for their decision, fine by me. 

Jerry

03Lightningrocks

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • TX

• HVAC
« Reply #27 on: May 31, 2015, 11:31:58 AM »

Most folks who've been riding for a long time know exactly what those "novelty" helmets really are.  However, the regulators and enforcement folks have to look out for those who really don't know any better.  It's no different than many other counterfeit or misleading products on the market.  People get scammed on other stuff like fake prescription drugs from our fine friends in China for instance.  Even reasonably well informed people can easily be scammed these days by people who are highly motivated.

For those who turned this into a "live free or die" thread, it's not about whether you should be forced to wear a helmet.  It's about the right of the consumer to know what he's buying is a legit product.  As for those who knowingly buy them to skirt helmet laws, as long as they know what they're buying isn't going to really protect them, and they are willing to accept responsibility for their decision, fine by me. 

Jerry

I was going to post something similar. While in Daytona this year during bike week, I noticed they were selling the crap out of these novelty helmets. I did hear a few conversations between buyers and sellers that would support the theory that some folks don't realize the difference.

MrSurly

• Formidable Faux
  • Elite CVO Member
    • TX

« Reply #28 on: May 31, 2015, 01:06:22 PM »

Some folks *absolutely* don't know that there are "non-functional" helmets out there.
There are new riders every day and "DOT" is not automatically included knowledge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2010FLHTCUSE5

mark

« Reply #29 on: May 31, 2015, 03:44:38 PM »

Just curious...I wonder if those that knowingly wear novelty helmets would buy novelty life preservers for their boat?

donald p

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2008 CVO
    • CVO2: 2013 CVO
    • CVO3: 2020 Tri Glide CVO
« Reply #30 on: May 31, 2015, 06:56:04 PM »

You don't see many people carring novelty guns to protect them self's, do you.
.FLHTCUSE8 Anniversary #680
2020 Tri Glide CVO

Streetglide1

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • MO

• CVO1: 2012 Streetglide
« Reply #31 on: May 31, 2015, 09:00:58 PM »

You don't see many people carring novelty guns to protect them self's, do you.

I think you got that right.....good point there.Well I live in the show me state so you have to wear it, Missouri has been very close a few times to passing a no helmet law, business people say in the summer time they loose a lot of money because bikers will go around the state so they don't have to wear it, I've got my broken wings and lived to tell about it so I feel good about wearing it, but that's me.

The people who buy novelty helmets I would think they know there is no protection there but there is always a bad gene pool lurking somewhere and as far as the government getting involved in it is BS, the feds are already into to much BS and a person should have the right to make their own decision. 

03Lightningrocks

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • TX

• HVAC
« Reply #32 on: May 31, 2015, 10:16:22 PM »

For the record. Even though I believe there are people who don't realize novelty helmets offer no real protection, I  STRONGLY appose the damned government intruding on our personal choices once again. The nanny state crap is out of control on many issues, including helmets. It is my head and my choice to risk it or not. I do wear a helmet 99.9% of the time but refuse to tell someone else what they should do.

kiro

• 1K CVO Member
    • ME

• A Shot in the Dark
« Reply #33 on: June 01, 2015, 07:56:52 AM »

For the record. Even though I believe there are people who don't realize novelty helmets offer no real protection, I  STRONGLY appose the damned government intruding on our personal choices once again. The nanny state crap is out of control on many issues, including helmets. It is my head and my choice to risk it or not. I do wear a helmet 99.9% of the time but refuse to tell someone else what they should do.

I agree - too much 'direction' at the state and Federal level. I wear a helmet these days by my choice, don't have too (yet) in my state, but I oppose legislation to change that in lieu of personal choice.

Puma

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NJ

• CVO1: 2014 FLHRSE Dragula 2, SESTP, C&C Fastback
« Reply #34 on: June 01, 2015, 01:49:52 PM »

I've actually heard guys say about novelty helmets, "they're better than nothing."
2014 CVO Road King: Titianium/Black, Dragula 2 (2-1), SESTP, C&C Fastback

Spiderman

• aka Spiderman "guest"
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2003 FLHRSEI2
    • CVO2: 2007 FLTR (faux CVO)
« Reply #35 on: June 01, 2015, 01:54:31 PM »

I've actually heard guys say about novelty helmets, "they're better than nothing."

For what it's worth. I have what I guess is considered a novelty helmet. It's basically a beanie. For years now I've worn it with a visor snapped to the front and a baseball cap underneath turned backwards. Sort of a Sherlock Holmes type affair that keeps the sun out of my eyes and off the back of my neck. I wrecked my first 03 SERK. (I'm currently on #4) In the course of bouncing down Canadian Highway 405 outside of Toronto, the visor of the novelty helmet kept my nose and face off the pavement. With the ballcap underneath the helmet fits snugly and I keep the chinstrap tight so ------------ you be the judge. Was it better than nothing ?

B B

cambo

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2013 CVO Breakout
    • CVO2: 2015 Ultra Limited
« Reply #36 on: June 01, 2015, 03:06:27 PM »

For what it's worth. I have what I guess is considered a novelty helmet. It's basically a beanie. For years now I've worn it with a visor snapped to the front and a baseball cap underneath turned backwards. Sort of a Sherlock Holmes type affair that keeps the sun out of my eyes and off the back of my neck. I wrecked my first 03 SERK. (I'm currently on #4) In the course of bouncing down Canadian Highway 405 outside of Toronto, the visor of the novelty helmet kept my nose and face off the pavement. With the ballcap underneath the helmet fits snugly and I keep the chinstrap tight so ------------ you be the judge. Was it better than nothing ?

B B

x2

Disclaimer: I am against any and all government regulations and laws when it comes to decisions that would only impact me, my family and, to some extent, my friends (they would be upset if I hurt myself). So no helmet laws, seat belt laws, no smoking laws, etc. Having said that:

I was riding a Yamaha on a rainy day and had to avoid an obstacle by turning left while applying the brakes (front and rear). I locked up the front brakes (no ABS and not linked) so the back of the bike came off the ground and I was thrown off the bike. Having played sports in high school I instinctively turned my body around while in the air and landed on my back. As soon as I hit the ground my head bounced off the ground and the bike landed on my right foot. I was wearing my rain gear over my draggin' jeans and leather jacket so no road rash. I had my helmet on and I did not have a concussion or any other ill effects. I was also wearing my HD boots so the bike did not crush my foot. Being more embarrassed than anything else I jumped back up and tried to lift the bike up quickly jump back on it and ride away somewhere so I could hide. I was limping for about a week except for when my wife was around because I didn't want her to remind me that riding a bike is just crazy and I should know better! :D

One can argue that the helmet did not really help much but I know that if my big head bounced off the blacktop I would at least have a nasty bump, which I did not. I do know for a fact that my right foot would have been crushed had it not been for the boots I was wearing.

I'm not telling anyone they should wear helmets, boots, leathers, etc. Just sharing my own experience.

Cam

J-Carr

• Got to keep the Loonies on the path
  • Elite CVO Member
  • SoA#911.2

• CVO1: 2008 FLHTCUSE
« Reply #37 on: June 01, 2015, 03:20:56 PM »

Just curious...I wonder if those that knowingly wear novelty helmets would buy novelty life preservers for their boat?
Yes.  I'd buy ones that don't cover anything on the front of my lady passengers.  :huepfenjump3:  To be fair, I'm a former life guard and my boat is a paddle boat and my lake is no more than 150 yards wide at its widest.  I can rescue them and myself which could be fun!

I also think that novelty helmets do offer some protection.  I've personally seen it.  Its just not enough for me.  I'll stick with my Nolan street legal, even though I live in a helmet law free state (for now).  I continue to not support helmet laws, seat belt laws, or any other law that tells me how to live my life.  Government and religion do not know what's best for me.  Only I do.  Because if I'm wrong, then its on me... no regrets.

Me, Screamin' Nemo and The Kid.

moscooter

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #38 on: June 01, 2015, 04:21:20 PM »

:cherry:
Post some of your novelty helmets,  I have a bunch of them,  here is one of the larger ones.

Streetglide1

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • MO

• CVO1: 2012 Streetglide
« Reply #39 on: June 01, 2015, 04:34:33 PM »

LOL...Looks like something out of spaceballs

cambo

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #40 on: June 01, 2015, 04:57:29 PM »

I see your schwarz is as big as mine!

willyB

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #41 on: June 01, 2015, 07:46:43 PM »

I wear a helmet for two reasons.

#1: I always have. Hard to break habits.
#2: It keeps me from getting sunburned on my thinly haired head.

Not sure if it still holds true but Missouri has a helmet law but no eye protection rule while Illinois has no helmet law but has an eye protection rule. I always thought that seemed odd.
GMR 577 Cams, S & S Lifters, S & S Pushrods, V&H Headers, Rinehart 4” Slipons, TTS Tuner, 12" Yaffee Monkey Bars, Color Matched Chopped Tour Pak (510 HP and 763 TQ +/-)

J-Carr

• Elite CVO Member
  • SoA#911.2

« Reply #42 on: June 01, 2015, 08:28:42 PM »

No eye protection can cause you to lose control and hit an innocent car or pedestrian.  So you can make the argument that by preventing you from letting an insect blind you they're protecting others.  The helmet only comes into use after you've hit something and therefore is not protecting other peoples property.

I have no problem with that.

Lots of states instituted helmet laws without eye protection.  It pretty well proved that they were enacting laws based on lobbying.  It only took a little research to make the argument for eye protection.

Puma

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NJ

« Reply #43 on: June 01, 2015, 09:58:16 PM »

B B
Maybe. It would seem the visor was, at least.

Sprintkid

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 CVO Road Glide Ultra
« Reply #44 on: June 01, 2015, 10:18:34 PM »

I love my helmet.. Just sayin!

D-N-D

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • PA

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTKSE Limited / Moonlight Blue & Deep Sea Blue
« Reply #45 on: June 02, 2015, 06:08:26 AM »

Novelty Helmets have one and love it !!!!
DND

Spiderman

• aka Spiderman "guest"
  • 1K CVO Member

« Reply #46 on: June 02, 2015, 08:22:10 AM »

I wear a helmet for two reasons.

#1: I always have. Hard to break habits.
#2: It keeps me from getting sunburned on my thinly haired head.

Not sure if it still holds true but Missouri has a helmet law but no eye protection rule while Illinois has no helmet law but has an eye protection rule. I always thought that seemed odd.

I agree 100%
spending winters in San Diego and summers in Maine, I've gotten so used to having the helmet on in California that it just doesn't feel right without it when I'm in Maine even though it's not required. And yes, my hair has it's thin spots that allow my scalp to burn damn fast without anything covering it.

B B

kiro

• 1K CVO Member
    • ME

• A Shot in the Dark
« Reply #47 on: June 02, 2015, 08:42:08 AM »

Spiderman - you spend summers in Maine? Do you have your bike there as well?

Spiderman

• aka Spiderman "guest"
  • 1K CVO Member

« Reply #48 on: June 02, 2015, 12:31:52 PM »

Spiderman - you spend summers in Maine? Do you have your bike there as well?

I keep my 03 SERK in San Diego and the 07 Road Glide below here in Maine

B B

kiro

• 1K CVO Member
    • ME

• A Shot in the Dark
« Reply #49 on: June 02, 2015, 01:04:54 PM »

I keep my 03 SERK in San Diego and the 07 Road Glide below here in Maine

Wow - sounds like the best of both worlds... Generally speaking people here go to Florida in winter and stay home in warmer weather. I'm in Portland - let me know if you want to hook up for lunch or something while you're in state.

carmine

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
« Reply #50 on: June 02, 2015, 03:03:56 PM »

I use one of thist think straight when I ride CVO softail convertibleand it is fine. Got a DOTSticker on it...I'm good

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

TinSpinner

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: FLHTCUSE8
« Reply #51 on: June 02, 2015, 05:44:38 PM »

I use one of thist think straight when I ride CVO softail convertibleand it is fine. Got a DOTSticker on it...I'm good

Welcome....I think.   :confused5:

moscooter

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #52 on: June 02, 2015, 07:27:20 PM »

:nixweiss:

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

« Reply #53 on: June 02, 2015, 08:01:25 PM »

Hi carmine.  Can we safely assume you typed up that post after falling on your head wearing that novelty helmet?

Jerry ;)

mark

« Reply #54 on: June 02, 2015, 09:53:10 PM »

Hi carmine.  Can we safely assume you typed up that post after falling on your head wearing that novelty helmet?

Jerry ;)

Jerry, you beat me to the keyboard...my thoughts too.

cambo

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #55 on: June 02, 2015, 10:12:51 PM »

Jerry ;)

That's funny no matter how many times I read it! I assumed that Carmine was using his smart phone/tablet to type that and was auto-corrected into incoherence. Jerry you da man!

:huepfenlol2:  :huepfenlol2:

Cam

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2006 SE Ultra
    • CVO2: 2018 GoldWing DCT Airbag
« Reply #56 on: June 03, 2015, 01:04:33 AM »

Hi Carmine,

I see this is your first post. Welcome to the forum! Please post some pics of the CVO Convertible and tell us about yourself.

What kinds of other bikes do you have or have had?
What kinds of modifications if any have you had done to your bike?
Where in the USA do you live? We have folks from all over and most likely near you too!
How long have you been riding?
Are you self taught or have you had formal instruction like Police School, MSF or Ride Like a Pro?
Are you a solo rider, or do you ride with a passenger?
Ride with any groups?
Tell us about some of your most memorable rides, distances, routes, places, people, things you did and saw.

Look forward to seeing you on the road!

Mark
"But men are men, the best sometimes forget" Shakespeare, Othello Act 2, Scene 3

03Lightningrocks

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • TX

• HVAC
« Reply #57 on: June 03, 2015, 01:10:16 AM »

That's funny no matter how many times I read it! I assumed that Carmine was using his smart phone/tablet to type that and was auto-corrected into incoherence. Jerry you da man!

:huepfenlol2:  :huepfenlol2:

Cam

I am laughing so hard I have people asking me if I am drinking.

Edit: Now I have everyone with me laughing... I had to explain what was so funny in the middle of a card game.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2015, 01:13:09 AM by 03Lightningrocks »

MrSurly

• Formidable Faux
  • Elite CVO Member
    • TX

Crack Down On Novelty Motorcycle Helmets
« Reply #58 on: June 03, 2015, 02:21:37 AM »

Mark, great invitation and talking points for a new member introduction! Well done, sir....
But I'm afraid Carmine probably doesn't remember much after he tested the novelty of his lid..
From the "sound" of it, he's likely staring at the microwave waiting for Wheel of Fortune to come on.

« Last Edit: June 03, 2015, 07:50:34 AM by MrSurly »

2010FLHTCUSE5

03Lightningrocks

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • TX

• HVAC
« Reply #59 on: June 03, 2015, 04:28:43 AM »

OMG!!! You are killing me!  :drummer:

Spiderman

• aka Spiderman "guest"
  • 1K CVO Member

« Reply #60 on: June 03, 2015, 06:38:24 AM »

Wow - sounds like the best of both worlds... Generally speaking people here go to Florida in winter and stay home in warmer weather. I'm in Portland - let me know if you want to hook up for lunch or something while you're in state.

I am headed to Rochester NH early this Saturday morning (6-6)for a charity ride. The Madison Weeks run. Registration is 0900 at the American Legion Post 7 just outside of Rochester off Rt 202.

B B

Chains

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • FL

« Reply #61 on: June 03, 2015, 07:41:27 AM »

Jerry ;)

My thoughts exactly good job Jerry that's too funny.
2009 FLHTCUSE
12 inch Monkey bars
Stage one kit

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2006 SE Ultra
    • CVO2: 2018 GoldWing DCT Airbag
« Reply #62 on: June 03, 2015, 09:02:44 AM »

Mark, great invitation and talking points for a new member introduction! Well done, sir....
But I'm afraid Carmine probably doesn't remember much after he tested the novelty of his lid..
From the "sound" of it, he's likely staring at the microwave waiting for Wheel of Fortune to come on.

I usually welcome folks in this manner when their first post, and sometimes only post, can be seen as confusing, inflammatory, combative, or baiting. A while back we had an issue with trollers looking to entertain themselves. Most trollers won't share info like that. Folks with genuine interest don't mind. This is one reason I like post counts.

I'm not saying Carmine is anything but a CVO owner who doesn't post often, hopefully he will return and become one of us and post up often.

Mark
"But men are men, the best sometimes forget" Shakespeare, Othello Act 2, Scene 3

J-Carr

• Elite CVO Member
  • SoA#911.2

« Reply #63 on: June 03, 2015, 09:16:05 AM »

Umm, maybe its just because I speak fluent sarcasm, but I'm thinking Carmine might have made an intentional and excellent point about the effectiveness of Novelty helmets and life afterwards.

• My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge, when my information changes, I alter my conclusions
  • 5k CVO Member
  • monter le cheval de fer (French)
    • NC

• CVO1: 2013 SERK-Dressed in BLUE of course.
    • CVO2: 2002 Supercharged HD F150 512 RWHP
    • CVO3: 1956 BelAir Sports Coupe
« Reply #64 on: June 03, 2015, 09:33:38 AM »

About 3yrs ago NC put fliers in motorcycle registration packs warning of a severe crackdown on novelty helmets. Everyone I know that wore them then, still do.......never a ticket to N E 1 I No
Most Honda Goldwing riders will blink when hit in the head  with a ball-peen hammer (sans helmet)

cambo

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #65 on: June 03, 2015, 09:56:57 AM »

About 3yrs ago NC put fliers in motorcycle registration packs warning of a severe crackdown on novelty helmets. Everyone I know that wore them then, still do.......never a ticket to N E 1 I No

This is where meeting someone in real life helps with communication on the internet. I had no problem deciphering the text above in blue. As a matter of fact I just had to look at the text and hear him say that in his own voice! Hey Jimmy come on up and let's go riding. Or I'll have no choice but to get on the bike and show up on your front lawn again!

Cam

Puma

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NJ

« Reply #66 on: June 03, 2015, 09:24:13 PM »

I love the 1960's and 70's style three quarter helmets. My favorite is my Daytona Cruiser with the Easy Rider graphic. It is my understanding that Fulmer made the original for the movie and still makes them today, but they don't do any internet sales. So does anyone live near a place that sells them? The Daytona is a nice small 3/4 helmet, no mushroom/Kazoo look at all, and they got the graphics right, but the stars and stripes are obviously stickers and only the blue is paint. Plus the strap was fraying after about two weeks. A shame, because it is such a comfortable helmet and it might be the only one that I've ever worn that looks half decent on my head, and it's cheap. If I can't get a Fulmer I might get two more Daytonas.

Honneybeast

• Full CVO Member
  • A cowboy from hell on a twisted trail
« Reply #67 on: June 03, 2015, 10:34:31 PM »

I live in Missouri and am req to wear a helmet. I wear a ( skid lid ) novelty helmet and have been down at 117 mph with it, yes I was lucky but I believe when your time is up God will punch your ticket and there is nothing you or any government can do about. I will continue to wear my skid lid just to pacify the law, otherwise I wouldn't wear anything at all.

03Lightningrocks

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • TX

• HVAC

Puma

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NJ

« Reply #69 on: June 04, 2015, 06:30:45 AM »

http://www.daytonahelmets.com/d.o.t.-approved-34-shell-helmets?rid=ppc&gclid=CPa_j7CA9cUCFQYzaQodFTkA7w
That's what I wear, but without the visor. I think I got a better price somewhere. I'd still like to find a Fulmer, though, but I haven't found a dealer yet, and they don't do internet sales. Sometimes you see an individual selling a used one on ebay, but not often.

J-Carr

• Elite CVO Member
  • SoA#911.2

« Reply #70 on: June 04, 2015, 10:19:39 AM »

It's a bit of a ride for you Puma, but if you head out to Gettysburg Bike Week at all stop in New Oxford at Unique Cycles.  It's on Route 30 between York and Gettysburg.  They are a Fullmer dealer with in stock inventory.  They will ship as well, but its tough if you cant try it on for size.  A nice family run business too which is always a bonus.

Puma

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NJ

« Reply #71 on: June 04, 2015, 11:10:28 AM »

Thanks J-Carr. I will give them a call.
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5 [All]

Page created in 0.372 seconds with 21 queries.