Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  All

Author Topic: Crack Down On Novelty Motorcycle Helmets  (Read 21343 times)

Jswerve

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE3
Re: Crack Down On Novelty Motorcycle Helmets
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2015, 02:58:03 PM »

Here we go again with the helmet police. BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH!!!!!! Jesus 1 guy posts something about the novelty helmets and all of sudden the helmet police come out with a vengeance. We get it, you're smarter than everyone. So how about you stop running around babbling about how great your helmet is and just agree to disagree. We don't have a helmet law here AND WE LOVE IT! Rarely does anyone wear a helmet around here and that because IT"S OUR CHOICE NOT YOURS. Why is that so damn hard to comprehend?

Now, I am going to go for a ride WITHOUT a helmet. MY RIGHT. You get on your damn soap box and keep on preaching. You don't know me and it's none of your concern just worry about your ugly melons.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but none of you are going to get out alive. So while you are here quit your damn preachin, wear or don't wear a helmet, and get out and ride.

>:(

2012 FLHXSE3 Ruby Red/Typhoon Maroon
|Color Matched Detachable Tour Pak | Fuelmoto PV | Dragos 580 cams | Dragula 2-1/Ghost Pipe | Cyclesmith 13's | Sachs heads | Yaffe Stealth III License Plate Frame| Long Angled High

FlaHeatWave

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '01 FXDWG2 RED 103 6sp
    • CVO2: '05 FLHTCSE2 CHERRY
    • CVO3: '09 FLTRSE3 YELLOW 117/DD7
« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2015, 04:19:21 PM »

Florida is a no helmet state, sometimes I don't wear a helmet, sometimes I wear a novelty helmet, sometimes I wear the Shark Evoline3 in hi-viz yellow (we call them the Power Rangers lol).

These days I wear a helmet more often than not, mostly for comfort (keeps my hair from knotting up).

It's good to have a choice... I've got enough of the government telling me what / what not to do :nervous:

As far as statistics go, in Florida; Motorcycle Fatalities, 52% without helmet, 48% with helmet.
"I've read dozens of books about heros and crooks, and learned much from both of their styles"

CVOStreetglide

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2015 CVO Street Glide
    • CVO2: 2012 CVO Street Glide (Sold)
    • CVO3: 2010 CVO Street Glide (Sold) CVO4: 2006 VRXSE DESTROYER (Sold)
« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2015, 05:20:08 PM »

Florida is a no helmet state, sometimes I don't wear a helmet, sometimes I wear a novelty helmet, sometimes I wear the Shark Evoline3 in hi-viz yellow (we call them the Power Rangers lol).

These days I wear a helmet more often than not, mostly for comfort (keeps my hair from knotting up).

It's good to have a choice... I've got enough of the government telling me what / what not to do :nervous:

As far as statistics go, in Florida; Motorcycle Fatalities, 52% without helmet, 48% with helmet.

THE NEWSPAPER: "...something year old HARLEY rider was killed today while riding his motorcycle.
He was wearing a helmet and was "T" Boned by a 88 year old driver with cateracts who didn't hear or see him.   

HighOnHD

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • WA

• CVO1: 2015 FLHXSE UV Blue/Molten Lava
« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2015, 10:00:04 AM »

Here we go again with the helmet police. BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH!!!!!! Jesus 1 guy posts something about the novelty helmets and all of sudden the helmet police come out with a vengeance. We get it, you're smarter than everyone. So how about you stop running around babbling about how great your helmet is and just agree to disagree. We don't have a helmet law here AND WE LOVE IT! Rarely does anyone wear a helmet around here and that because IT"S OUR CHOICE NOT YOURS. Why is that so damn hard to comprehend?

Now, I am going to go for a ride WITHOUT a helmet. MY RIGHT. You get on your damn soap box and keep on preaching. You don't know me and it's none of your concern just worry about your ugly melons.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but none of you are going to get out alive. So while you are here quit your damn preachin, wear or don't wear a helmet, and get out and ride.

>:(

Hey Jesse,

Come on and admit it! You know you are a closet helmet wearer.  :P

HighOnHD

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • WA

• CVO1: 2015 FLHXSE UV Blue/Molten Lava
« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2015, 11:15:23 AM »

I have to admit I would tend to get pretty grumpy too if I did not want to wear a helmet, and I was afraid all the do-gooders were going to get together and force me to wear one. Not a happy thought.  :nixweiss:

MrSurly

• Formidable Faux
  • Elite CVO Member
    • TX

« Reply #20 on: May 23, 2015, 02:00:14 PM »

I don't care what anybody wears.
I USUALLY wear a lid, but not always, so I've no high horse to preach from.

I just have issues with bogus claims.

Ride free and I'll fight for your right.

Rhetorical questions, who needs 'em?

2010FLHTCUSE5
Dethroned Garage Queen, Sullied 2013

smkymtnboy

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • TN

• CVO1: flhxse
    • CVO2: flhtcuse5
    • CVO3: flhtcuse6
« Reply #21 on: May 23, 2015, 02:13:13 PM »

Has anyone tried this Helmet @ bikerhelmets.com they say it's worlds smallest- lightest DOT beanie helmet ??? ( Made in China has me thinking it's not very good ?? ) I was thinking about trying one it's cost $99.00 the Carbon one is $149.00
if, you are asking!!? anything Chinese that must met a spec or standard is usually substandard and not to spec from tires to helmets. that is a fact. they continually cheat and misrepresent. and to think Harley is silly enough to buy Chinese made parts. oh boy!

cembo

• Time To Ride
    • NJ

• CVO1: FLHRSE6
« Reply #22 on: May 29, 2015, 09:33:35 PM »

I don't want to be "that guy", but I cannot sit idly by and see this same old bullcrap repeated and left unchallenged. These same old talking points get regurgitated year after year and they remain as false as when they were first uttered.
Real studies DO exist.
Lid haters dislike them
Helmets don't magically save EVERY life. Lid haters say "SEE, they don't work!"
Lid haters make up crap like "helmets kill people" instead of just saying the truth, which is "we don't like them"
The real issue is personal freedom, which I fully support and will defend. I fight for no-lid laws.
But, physics is physics and facts is facts.
Don't be makin' sh!t up.

Well said - nothing more to add!

Road Dad

• Senior CVO Member
    • MI

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited - 117 CU
« Reply #23 on: May 29, 2015, 11:06:18 PM »

I am for everyone having a choice but I don't want to pay for someone that chose to bounce their head of the Tarmac without a helmet and  stays in a coma for years -$$$$$$$$

Same thing with healthcare. Great to see that companies have the smokers and the obese paying for the higher risk. (That will be mandatory in 8-9 years is my guess). Again. If someone chose to smoke it's their choice.  I just don't want to pay for the cancer treatment.

So have your choice but pay for it. That seem fair to me.

mark

« Reply #24 on: May 31, 2015, 10:24:41 AM »

The article seems to suggest that some riders buy novelty helmets thinking they are "real" helmets.  Really?  Anyone with a non-DOT helmet knows what they have. 

bigdave110

• Senior CVO Member
  • I can't take it with me N I ain't givin it to you!
    • PA

• CVO1: 2008,11,12,13 FLHTCUSE (all sold)
    • CVO2: 2015 CVO street glide(sold) 2017 CVO Street Glide(sold)
    • CVO3: 2017 CVO street glide (Black)
« Reply #25 on: May 31, 2015, 10:44:45 AM »

My brother has a novelty helmet and has been using it for years.
I ask him every time we ride, why wear that damn thing, there is no helmet law now, just go with out it.
His response is always, (I am used to it).

Him and all his friends used to wear them sort of in protest, and they where much lighter than helmets of old.
With the new technology, the newer helmets are pretty light on the head.

Just my 2cents.

For the record, sometimes I wear one, sometimes I don't.  (Real helmet)

Not forcing my reasons and opinions on anyone else, please do not preach to me.

That being said.

Have a great day.   ;D

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #26 on: May 31, 2015, 10:56:06 AM »

The article seems to suggest that some riders buy novelty helmets thinking they are "real" helmets.  Really?  Anyone with a non-DOT helmet knows what they have.

Most folks who've been riding for a long time know exactly what those "novelty" helmets really are.  However, the regulators and enforcement folks have to look out for those who really don't know any better.  It's no different than many other counterfeit or misleading products on the market.  People get scammed on other stuff like fake prescription drugs from our fine friends in China for instance.  Even reasonably well informed people can easily be scammed these days by people who are highly motivated.

For those who turned this into a "live free or die" thread, it's not about whether you should be forced to wear a helmet.  It's about the right of the consumer to know what he's buying is a legit product.  As for those who knowingly buy them to skirt helmet laws, as long as they know what they're buying isn't going to really protect them, and they are willing to accept responsibility for their decision, fine by me. 

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

03Lightningrocks

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • TX

• CVO1: 2013 Road King
    • HVAC
« Reply #27 on: May 31, 2015, 11:31:58 AM »

Most folks who've been riding for a long time know exactly what those "novelty" helmets really are.  However, the regulators and enforcement folks have to look out for those who really don't know any better.  It's no different than many other counterfeit or misleading products on the market.  People get scammed on other stuff like fake prescription drugs from our fine friends in China for instance.  Even reasonably well informed people can easily be scammed these days by people who are highly motivated.

For those who turned this into a "live free or die" thread, it's not about whether you should be forced to wear a helmet.  It's about the right of the consumer to know what he's buying is a legit product.  As for those who knowingly buy them to skirt helmet laws, as long as they know what they're buying isn't going to really protect them, and they are willing to accept responsibility for their decision, fine by me. 

Jerry

I was going to post something similar. While in Daytona this year during bike week, I noticed they were selling the crap out of these novelty helmets. I did hear a few conversations between buyers and sellers that would support the theory that some folks don't realize the difference.

MrSurly

• Formidable Faux
  • Elite CVO Member
    • TX

« Reply #28 on: May 31, 2015, 01:06:22 PM »

Some folks *absolutely* don't know that there are "non-functional" helmets out there.
There are new riders every day and "DOT" is not automatically included knowledge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rhetorical questions, who needs 'em?

2010FLHTCUSE5
Dethroned Garage Queen, Sullied 2013

mark

« Reply #29 on: May 31, 2015, 03:44:38 PM »

Just curious...I wonder if those that knowingly wear novelty helmets would buy novelty life preservers for their boat?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  All

Page created in 0.195 seconds with 21 queries.