Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  All

Author Topic: Crack Down On Novelty Motorcycle Helmets  (Read 21345 times)

donald p

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2008 CVO
    • CVO2: 2013 CVO
    • CVO3: 2020 Tri Glide CVO
Re: Crack Down On Novelty Motorcycle Helmets
« Reply #30 on: May 31, 2015, 06:56:04 PM »

You don't see many people carring novelty guns to protect them self's, do you.
.FLHTCUSE8 Anniversary #680
2020 Tri Glide CVO

Streetglide1

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • MO

• CVO1: 2012 Streetglide
« Reply #31 on: May 31, 2015, 09:00:58 PM »

You don't see many people carring novelty guns to protect them self's, do you.

I think you got that right.....good point there.Well I live in the show me state so you have to wear it, Missouri has been very close a few times to passing a no helmet law, business people say in the summer time they loose a lot of money because bikers will go around the state so they don't have to wear it, I've got my broken wings and lived to tell about it so I feel good about wearing it, but that's me.

The people who buy novelty helmets I would think they know there is no protection there but there is always a bad gene pool lurking somewhere and as far as the government getting involved in it is BS, the feds are already into to much BS and a person should have the right to make their own decision. 

03Lightningrocks

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • TX

• CVO1: 2013 Road King
    • HVAC
« Reply #32 on: May 31, 2015, 10:16:22 PM »

For the record. Even though I believe there are people who don't realize novelty helmets offer no real protection, I  STRONGLY appose the damned government intruding on our personal choices once again. The nanny state crap is out of control on many issues, including helmets. It is my head and my choice to risk it or not. I do wear a helmet 99.9% of the time but refuse to tell someone else what they should do.

kiro

• 1K CVO Member
    • ME

• CVO1: 2017 FLHTKSE
    • CVO2: 1986 FXR Super Glide - antique, but the Evo lives on!
    • A Shot in the Dark
« Reply #33 on: June 01, 2015, 07:56:52 AM »

For the record. Even though I believe there are people who don't realize novelty helmets offer no real protection, I  STRONGLY appose the damned government intruding on our personal choices once again. The nanny state crap is out of control on many issues, including helmets. It is my head and my choice to risk it or not. I do wear a helmet 99.9% of the time but refuse to tell someone else what they should do.

I agree - too much 'direction' at the state and Federal level. I wear a helmet these days by my choice, don't have too (yet) in my state, but I oppose legislation to change that in lieu of personal choice.

Puma

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NJ

• CVO1: 2014 FLHRSE Dragula 2, SESTP, C&C Fastback
« Reply #34 on: June 01, 2015, 01:49:52 PM »

I've actually heard guys say about novelty helmets, "they're better than nothing."
2014 CVO Road King: Titianium/Black, Dragula 2 (2-1), SESTP, C&C Fastback

Spiderman

• aka Spiderman "guest"
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2003 FLHRSEI2
    • CVO2: 2007 FLTR (faux CVO)
« Reply #35 on: June 01, 2015, 01:54:31 PM »

I've actually heard guys say about novelty helmets, "they're better than nothing."

For what it's worth. I have what I guess is considered a novelty helmet. It's basically a beanie. For years now I've worn it with a visor snapped to the front and a baseball cap underneath turned backwards. Sort of a Sherlock Holmes type affair that keeps the sun out of my eyes and off the back of my neck. I wrecked my first 03 SERK. (I'm currently on #4) In the course of bouncing down Canadian Highway 405 outside of Toronto, the visor of the novelty helmet kept my nose and face off the pavement. With the ballcap underneath the helmet fits snugly and I keep the chinstrap tight so ------------ you be the judge. Was it better than nothing ?

B B

cambo

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2013 CVO Breakout
    • CVO2: 2015 Ultra Limited
« Reply #36 on: June 01, 2015, 03:06:27 PM »

For what it's worth. I have what I guess is considered a novelty helmet. It's basically a beanie. For years now I've worn it with a visor snapped to the front and a baseball cap underneath turned backwards. Sort of a Sherlock Holmes type affair that keeps the sun out of my eyes and off the back of my neck. I wrecked my first 03 SERK. (I'm currently on #4) In the course of bouncing down Canadian Highway 405 outside of Toronto, the visor of the novelty helmet kept my nose and face off the pavement. With the ballcap underneath the helmet fits snugly and I keep the chinstrap tight so ------------ you be the judge. Was it better than nothing ?

B B

x2

Disclaimer: I am against any and all government regulations and laws when it comes to decisions that would only impact me, my family and, to some extent, my friends (they would be upset if I hurt myself). So no helmet laws, seat belt laws, no smoking laws, etc. Having said that:

I was riding a Yamaha on a rainy day and had to avoid an obstacle by turning left while applying the brakes (front and rear). I locked up the front brakes (no ABS and not linked) so the back of the bike came off the ground and I was thrown off the bike. Having played sports in high school I instinctively turned my body around while in the air and landed on my back. As soon as I hit the ground my head bounced off the ground and the bike landed on my right foot. I was wearing my rain gear over my draggin' jeans and leather jacket so no road rash. I had my helmet on and I did not have a concussion or any other ill effects. I was also wearing my HD boots so the bike did not crush my foot. Being more embarrassed than anything else I jumped back up and tried to lift the bike up quickly jump back on it and ride away somewhere so I could hide. I was limping for about a week except for when my wife was around because I didn't want her to remind me that riding a bike is just crazy and I should know better! :D

One can argue that the helmet did not really help much but I know that if my big head bounced off the blacktop I would at least have a nasty bump, which I did not. I do know for a fact that my right foot would have been crushed had it not been for the boots I was wearing.

I'm not telling anyone they should wear helmets, boots, leathers, etc. Just sharing my own experience.

Cam

J-Carr

• Got to keep the Loonies on the path
  • Elite CVO Member
  • SoA#911.2

• CVO1: 2008 FLHTCUSE
« Reply #37 on: June 01, 2015, 03:20:56 PM »

Just curious...I wonder if those that knowingly wear novelty helmets would buy novelty life preservers for their boat?
Yes.  I'd buy ones that don't cover anything on the front of my lady passengers.  :huepfenjump3:  To be fair, I'm a former life guard and my boat is a paddle boat and my lake is no more than 150 yards wide at its widest.  I can rescue them and myself which could be fun!

I also think that novelty helmets do offer some protection.  I've personally seen it.  Its just not enough for me.  I'll stick with my Nolan street legal, even though I live in a helmet law free state (for now).  I continue to not support helmet laws, seat belt laws, or any other law that tells me how to live my life.  Government and religion do not know what's best for me.  Only I do.  Because if I'm wrong, then its on me... no regrets.

Me, Screamin' Nemo and The Kid.

moscooter

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #38 on: June 01, 2015, 04:21:20 PM »

:cherry:
Post some of your novelty helmets,  I have a bunch of them,  here is one of the larger ones.

Streetglide1

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • MO

• CVO1: 2012 Streetglide
« Reply #39 on: June 01, 2015, 04:34:33 PM »

LOL...Looks like something out of spaceballs

cambo

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2013 CVO Breakout
    • CVO2: 2015 Ultra Limited
« Reply #40 on: June 01, 2015, 04:57:29 PM »

I see your schwarz is as big as mine!

willyB

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #41 on: June 01, 2015, 07:46:43 PM »

I wear a helmet for two reasons.

#1: I always have. Hard to break habits.
#2: It keeps me from getting sunburned on my thinly haired head.

Not sure if it still holds true but Missouri has a helmet law but no eye protection rule while Illinois has no helmet law but has an eye protection rule. I always thought that seemed odd.
GMR 577 Cams, S & S Lifters, S & S Pushrods, V&H Headers, Rinehart 4” Slipons, TTS Tuner, 12" Yaffee Monkey Bars, Color Matched Chopped Tour Pak (510 HP and 763 TQ +/-)

J-Carr

• Got to keep the Loonies on the path
  • Elite CVO Member
  • SoA#911.2

• CVO1: 2008 FLHTCUSE
« Reply #42 on: June 01, 2015, 08:28:42 PM »

No eye protection can cause you to lose control and hit an innocent car or pedestrian.  So you can make the argument that by preventing you from letting an insect blind you they're protecting others.  The helmet only comes into use after you've hit something and therefore is not protecting other peoples property.

I have no problem with that.

Lots of states instituted helmet laws without eye protection.  It pretty well proved that they were enacting laws based on lobbying.  It only took a little research to make the argument for eye protection.

Me, Screamin' Nemo and The Kid.

Puma

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NJ

• CVO1: 2014 FLHRSE Dragula 2, SESTP, C&C Fastback
« Reply #43 on: June 01, 2015, 09:58:16 PM »

B B
Maybe. It would seem the visor was, at least.
2014 CVO Road King: Titianium/Black, Dragula 2 (2-1), SESTP, C&C Fastback

Sprintkid

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 CVO Road Glide Ultra
« Reply #44 on: June 01, 2015, 10:18:34 PM »

I love my helmet.. Just sayin!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  All

Page created in 0.183 seconds with 21 queries.