Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]  All

Author Topic: The MoCo has a hurdle....how to attract younger riders.  (Read 18768 times)

gemectigizoint

Re: The MoCo has a hurdle....how to attract younger riders.
« Reply #60 on: July 27, 2015, 12:04:45 PM »

Take kindly the counsel of years, gracefully surrendering the things of youth. That's one reason I own my CVO FLTRXE.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

Dr.D

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 SEDFB Sunrise Yellow and Black Quartz
    • CVO2: 2014 CVO Limited silver/orange
    • CVO3: 2015 Indian Vintage Custom 57 Chevy Blue
« Reply #61 on: July 28, 2015, 03:49:45 PM »

Good post! Reminds me of a site member everyone thought was maladjusted, pompous and arrogant with their post.
Then we got to meet that person. It's tough to really know someone until you meet them.
Good person, good man and had that twinkle in their eye when they posted.
Sitting behind a keyboard you don't see the smile on the other  persons face as they are typing.
That is why attendance at a GTG is so much fun!

SBB

I belong to a private cigar club and after posting for a few years I went to one of their get togethers. After meeting them I had one guy tell me I was much more intelligent than i appeared on line. :D I do put on the idiot just for fun and enjoy playing the dumb hillbilly.

smkymtnboy

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • TN

• CVO1: flhxse
    • CVO2: flhtcuse5
    • CVO3: flhtcuse6
« Reply #62 on: July 28, 2015, 09:48:17 PM »

I belong to a private cigar club and after posting for a few years I went to one of their get togethers. After meeting them I had one guy tell me I was much more intelligent than i appeared on line. :D I do put on the idiot just for fun and enjoy playing the dumb hillbilly.
well, in my case i am not playing the dumb hillbilly. i really am the dumb hillbilly! its not all bad. i do have a very nice motorcicle or is it motorcycle... it will set the tars on far!! :P sorry, i meant tires. lol!

Harley Guy

• Elite CVO Member
  • RIDE ON ...............
    • OH

• CVO1: 2009 CVO Ultra Classic.... Ruby - sold
    • CVO2: 2015 CVO Limited........... Dirty Blonde
« Reply #63 on: July 29, 2015, 06:57:50 AM »

Average age of a HD rider is 48.

Average age of a Cadillac owner is dead

Over average guy for me

ultrarider123

« Reply #64 on: July 29, 2015, 08:44:52 AM »

Would that be at Smokey's place, Doc?  That's a nice cigar club.  Smokey's...the only place in K'ville with a great all around stick selection.

And bie da weigh, ain't nuttin rong wit be'n a healbilly......

Dr.D

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #65 on: July 29, 2015, 09:04:37 AM »

Would that be at Smokey's place, Doc?  That's a nice cigar club.  Smokey's...the only place in K'ville with a great all around stick selection.

And bie da weigh, ain't nuttin rong wit be'n a healbilly......

No not Smokey's it is online by invitation only. I could get killed if I mentioned the super secret name. :D

Dr.D

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #66 on: August 03, 2015, 03:03:30 PM »

Saw a small group of young harley riders this weekend and asked what they were doing on the old mans bikes. We had a nice conversation, nice bunch of young folks.

I think HD will be ok because all these young crotch rocket riders will get older and tired of the little screamers and mature into the comfy cruisers.

Panhead_Jimmy

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #67 on: August 11, 2015, 12:15:12 PM »

Bloomberg Business, 8/11/2015:

“Honestly,” says Harley-Davidson Chief Marketing Officer Mark Hans-Richer, “we sell new bikes to guys in their 80s all the time.”
2004 Hemi Dodge Slammed Ram, Short Bed Std Cab
1945 Knuckle
1956 Pan
2015 FLHTKSE
2017 CVO Street Glide Orange/Starfire Black

2smoke

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 Softail Convertible
    • CVO2: 2012 Softail Convertible
« Reply #68 on: August 19, 2015, 11:35:16 PM »

If you look at other brands, there are some really fun and exciting bikes out there that target newbies and younger riders.  Honda's CB and CBR 500 are fine bikes that look cool and are bargain priced.  Any of you check out the KTM RC 390?  Talk about setting the hook!  And there is a race class dedicated to this bike that is all about getting new riders into racing and track day events. Just plain genius!  How about the Yamaha FZ07 and FZ09?  Really cool bikes at a price point that doesn't require the buyer to sell his or her soul to get one.  A local dealer has brand new FZ09 models for $7500.  That is a 108 HP bike that can do sub-11 second quarter miles off the showroom floor!!!  I want one! My point is, if you want to attract new riders, you have to make a bike new riders want to buy.  They are out there big time.  Just not made by H-D. 

Dr.D

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #69 on: August 20, 2015, 09:45:05 AM »

If you look at other brands, there are some really fun and exciting bikes out there that target newbies and younger riders.  Honda's CB and CBR 500 are fine bikes that look cool and are bargain priced.  Any of you check out the KTM RC 390?  Talk about setting the hook!  And there is a race class dedicated to this bike that is all about getting new riders into racing and track day events. Just plain genius!  How about the Yamaha FZ07 and FZ09?  Really cool bikes at a price point that doesn't require the buyer to sell his or her soul to get one.  A local dealer has brand new FZ09 models for $7500.  That is a 108 HP bike that can do sub-11 second quarter miles off the showroom floor!!!  I want one! My point is, if you want to attract new riders, you have to make a bike new riders want to buy.  They are out there big time.  Just not made by H-D.

Young people get old and things change. If they survive the triple digit days of motorcycling they will slow down and maybe want a geezer glide. I have a buddy that has been riding Harleys for decades and his Harley is slowing way down. I have to wait on his old ass all the time now.

North Georgia Hawg

• HoneyBadger Don't Give a CHIT...
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • I HATE WINTER!!!

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
    • CVO2: 2009 Chevy Avalanche LTZ Inferno Orange
    • CVO3: 2001 Ebbtide Mystique 2300: 8-ch 2000 watt audio system, two 12" Kicker subs
« Reply #70 on: September 04, 2015, 07:50:27 PM »

This is one of the most entertaining threads I've read in a long time. Lots of interesting posts here.

If the MoCo feels they need to attract younger riders, they are going about it all WRONG. The Street line isn't going to do it... Not with all of the much-faster, much-more-reliable, and MUCH-lower-priced offerings in the market these days. I've never been a crotch-rocket guy - but those things do move a lot of younger riders to buy them. They are very fast, they handle incredibly, and are are a lot of fun when you're in your 20s and 30s - not to mention a LOT more affordable.

The numerous quality issues notwithstanding, with Harley's "real" bikes now priced at stratospheric levels, and CVOs at a simply ludicrous price point - I have a difficult time understanding how the MoCo is going to continue making much profit off of them, in this continuing difficult economic environment. It basically comes down to moving enough of them to recoup the manufacturing investment, at acceptable prices. Hence, their relentless focus on cost control over innovation... but I think that will turn out at some point to be a zero-sum game. They will continue to lose customers because they are selling what is essentially an early-20th century engine design, and decorating the bikes with increasingly fussy and unreliable electronic gadgetry in an attempt to compensate (no pun intended) for their very weak engine designs and cost-focused manufacturing mindset, here 15 years into the 21st century.

But let's face it... They make a LOT more profit on their logo licensing, their clothing lines, their service departments (no further comment) and their P&A than they do on the bikes themselves. And for whatever reason, people continue to buy into the Harley mystique - perhaps for no other reason than just wanting to feel like a bad ass by owning one.

Ken

HoneyBadger Don't Care...

TD AK-20s | Drago's S/C/S-4 | SE 259Es | Feuling 8015/7060/Rods | Black Ops Lifters
Cometics | Big Sucker 2 | Energy One +1 Clutch Pack | Hayden BT07 | ClutchWIZ
WPW Fans | TL P7 LEDs/Aux | Dynamic Ringz | Tour Pak | WO 575s | RT 665
Corbin DualTour | BAH Flush Front Axle | Chrome Calipers
The Wizard's Tune
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]  All

Page created in 0.167 seconds with 21 queries.