Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Vets can now salute  (Read 1397 times)

CVOJOE

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Life's a journey, why not enjoy the ride?
Vets can now salute
« on: August 08, 2007, 06:22:26 PM »

Once in a while, Washington gets it right:

WASHINGTON, D.C. - U.S. Senator Jim Inhofe (R-Okla.) today praised the  passage by unanimous consent of his bill (S.1877) clarifying U.S. law to allow veterans and servicemen not in uniform to salute the flag. Current
  law (US Code Title 4, Chapter 1) states that veterans, and servicemen, not in uniform should place their hand over their heart without clarifying, hether they can or should salute the flag.

"The salute is a form of honor and respect, representing pride in one's military service," Senator Inhofe said.
"Veterans and service members continue representing the military services even when not in uniform. 

"Unfortunately, current U.S. law leaves confusion as to whether veterans and service members out of uniform can or should salute the flag. My legislation will clarify this regulation, allowing veterans and servicemen alike to salute the flag, whether they are in uniform or not. I look forward to seeing those who have served saluting proudly at   baseball games, parades, and formal events. I believe this is an appropriate way to honor and recognize the 25 million veterans in the United States who have served in the military and remain as role models to others citizens. Those who are currently serving, or have served in the military, have earned this right, and their recognition will be an inspiration to others."

:2vrolijk_21:  :2vrolijk_21:  :2vrolijk_21:

2003 FLHRSEI2. (Sold) :(

Horsepower is how fast you hit a wall.Torque is how far you will take the wall with you.

REGGAB

Re: Vets can now salute
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2007, 06:36:52 PM »

Good info.  I'll be saluting at Talladega in October.  Thanks.

HWYMAN1

• Basic 103
  • Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2007, 10:30:41 PM »

only question is, do I salute with hat on or off? :nixweiss: john
Rinehart TD
103 with zipper 575 GD cams
Bitubo rear shocks
Baker DD6 transmission
Traxxion dynamics front end
Stage 1 SE AC

RedDevil

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #747.2 It's all good

• CVO1: '11 FLTRUSE Gray Ghost
    • CVO2: '12 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2007, 06:28:58 AM »

only question is, do I salute with hat on or off? :nixweiss: john
I guess you'd revert back to your services rules on that.  In the Navy, we didn't salute indoors or when uncovered.  So in my case, I'd leave my hat on and then salute, which I'll proudly do in the future.
Cheers :2vrolijk_21:,
  :devil:

2012 FLHXSE3
Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock

Gunny4Sawx

• Enjoy life, but don't neglect prayer.
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2007, 09:23:08 PM »

I believe it still needs to be signed by the CinC. Nothing has come from HQMC on this so y'all might want to hold off on it for a bit
Governments are a lot like Robin Hood, stealing from the rich to give to the poor. My Mother taught me that stealing is wrong!
There is no profit in peace.

REGGAB

« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2007, 07:47:26 AM »

I believe it still needs to be signed by the CinC. Nothing has come from HQMC on this so y'all might want to hold off on it for a bit

Gunny............really Brother..........I'm not trying to be an a$$, but HQMC doesn't mean a friggin' thing to us old Soldiers, since we don't take directives from that entity.  They can say or do all they want.............or do nothing at all, as far as I'm concerned, but if Congress passes a law and the President (CINC) signs it, then it is a law, regardless of how HQMC responds.  Besides, last time I checked, HQMC has no control over DoD or HQDA, so if I'm gonna wait for official word from ANYONE other than than Congress or the President, then my ears are tuned to DoD and HQDA.  No disrespect to the United States Marine Corps; they are all GREAT AMERICANS, but they don't have control over anything a retired Soldier does, and I'm pretty sure that applies to Airmen and Sailors as well.
I believe each Veteran should seek guidance from his/her service component leadership.......not just HQMC.

Gunny4Sawx

« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2007, 04:50:59 PM »

Gunny............really Brother..........I'm not trying to be an a$$, but HQMC doesn't mean a friggin' thing to us old Soldiers, since we don't take directives from that entity.  They can say or do all they want.............or do nothing at all, as far as I'm concerned, but if Congress passes a law and the President (CINC) signs it, then it is a law, regardless of how HQMC responds.  Besides, last time I checked, HQMC has no control over DoD or HQDA, so if I'm gonna wait for official word from ANYONE other than than Congress or the President, then my ears are tuned to DoD and HQDA.  No disrespect to the United States Marine Corps; they are all GREAT AMERICANS, but they don't have control over anything a retired Soldier does, and I'm pretty sure that applies to Airmen and Sailors as well.
I believe each Veteran should seek guidance from his/her service component leadership.......not just HQMC.

I know what you mean, my point is that HQMC as would CNO Joint Chiefs DOD etc would put this out within 24 hours if it was a law. It still needs to go through Congress and then be signed into law by CinC. All that's happened so far is that it made it out of the Senate. So we can all hold our salutes until President Bush makes it law.
Governments are a lot like Robin Hood, stealing from the rich to give to the poor. My Mother taught me that stealing is wrong!

Special_Ed

• 1K CVO Member
  • Member#2263 DSPP#136,543,099
    • CVO2: 05' VRSCSE - sold
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2007, 05:48:37 PM »

I think that it is a great idea to allow us to salute without being in uniform. My own personal conflict with it is that I'm not sure how I feel about saluting with a Red Sox hat on or a hat with a company logo. If I was wearing my USCG or Legion cover it won't be a question but with any other head cover I'm not so sure. For me I feel as though it would be more respectful to remove my non military cover and salute then or put hand over heart as always. Just a thought.

Ed :pepper:
« Last Edit: August 10, 2007, 06:34:13 PM by Special_Ed »
"Looks like we got a date with Destiny and she's ordering the lobstah..."

REGGAB

« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2007, 06:05:39 PM »

I think that it is a great idea to allow us to salute without being in uniform. My own person conflict with it is that I'm not sure how I feel about saluting with a Red Sox hat on or a hat with a company logo. If I was wearing my USCG or Legion cover it won't be a question but with any other head cover I'm not so sure. For me I feel as though it would be more respectful to remove my non military cover and salute then or put hand over heart as always. Just a thought.

I'm with ya on that one, Ed.  Anything other than my CVMA or VFW headgear WILL be removed prior to rendering a hand salute.

Henry

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2007, 06:20:57 PM »

I think that it is a great idea to allow us to salute without being in uniform. My own person conflict with it is that I'm not sure how I feel about saluting with a Red Sox hat on or a hat with a company logo. If I was wearing my USCG or Legion cover it won't be a question but with any other head cover I'm not so sure. For me I feel as though it would be more respectful to remove my non military cover and salute then or put hand over heart as always. Just a thought.

Ed :pepper:Hey Ed, how 'bout if I've got my ole 'POW' emblem cap on?  Ya'll are confusing me now... :-\...I'm just gonna have to do what is respectable and feels right I guess.  har!  spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

Special_Ed

• 1K CVO Member
  • Member#2263 DSPP#136,543,099
    • CVO2: 05' VRSCSE - sold
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2007, 06:32:20 PM »

Spyder,
The POW/MIA hat is different for me. I don't think I'd remove that if I were wearing that one. I have a good deal of respect in regards to what that stands for. That one fits in with the VFW cover.

"Looks like we got a date with Destiny and she's ordering the lobstah..."

cuthbertss

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • red bikes..lots o red bikes

• CVO1: 2005 FLHTCSE2 (Red!)
    • CVO2: 2001 FXDWG2 ( way red!)
    • CVO3: 2005 Ford F350 HD True Blue Metallic
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2007, 08:29:50 PM »

hold your horses gang

current bill status below

Sponsor: Sen. James Inhofe [R-OK](no cosponsors)
Cosponsors [as of 2007-07-29]
Cosponsorship information sometimes is out of date. Why?
Bill Text: - CRS Summary
- Full Text
 Passed Senate [details] Jul 25, 2007
 Voted on in House -
 Signed by President -

This bill has been passed in the Senate. The bill now goes on to be voted on in the House. 
Last Action: Jul 26, 2007: Referred to the House Committee on the Judiciary.

Gunny4Sawx

« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2007, 09:56:15 PM »

I'd like to see the text of the bill. My thinking is the same as it is now remove all hats unless in uniform. I'd prefer to just stand at attention. People notice that as much as a salute in my opinion. Legion caps VFW DAV those would warrant salutes. We'll see if it ever gets out of the senate. OK I'm off my  :soapbox:

HWYMAN1

• Basic 103
  • Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2007, 11:21:05 PM »

I guess I should have clarified my tongue in cheek question. Until POTUS signs it, I'll continue to cover my heart with my hat. While I have earned the right like many here to salute if allowed i guess a non service head cover would not exactly feel right. So as with many things in the military until official orders and clarification have occured I'll continue to work under the last official set of instructions.
Rinehart TD
103 with zipper 575 GD cams
Bitubo rear shocks
Baker DD6 transmission
Traxxion dynamics front end
Stage 1 SE AC

REGGAB

« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2007, 11:21:55 PM »

I'd like to see the text of the bill. My thinking is the same as it is now remove all hats unless in uniform. I'd prefer to just stand at attention. People notice that as much as a salute in my opinion. Legion caps VFW DAV those would warrant salutes. We'll see if it ever gets out of the senate. OK I'm off my  :soapbox:

That's what I do now.  Face the colors, hat off, right hand over my heart at the position of attention.  Gives me CHILLS just thinking about it.

Page created in 0.175 seconds with 21 queries.