Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Author Topic: Harley vs. the competition in Motorcyclist Sept '08 Mag  (Read 14832 times)

REGGAB

Re: Harley vs. the competition in Motorcyclist Sept '08 Mag
« Reply #30 on: October 26, 2008, 01:45:12 AM »

Predicted reliability is usually based on objective data gathered on previous production years, IF there are no major changes forthcoming.  This applies to many more things than hardware.  Even human behavior can be predicted on past actions.  American companies are responsible for their own demise in the vast majority of cases...they made chitty products, their customers were not happy with the product, so they went to other brands.  Mostly consumers are responsible for the demise of the garment industry in the US because we wanted clothing and shoes for a cheaper price than US companies could sell them. In most cases, the consumer's experience with the product determines loyalty or dissatisfaction, and not the media.  Brand loyalty will only carry a company so far.

As an aside...there are many parts on your HD motorcycle (both internal and external) that are not made in this country.  It may be assembled here, so if you want to count that as "made in the USA", then a whole bunch of other things count as well.  There are so many parts on a Ford, GM, etc product which are not made in this country, it would be difficult to count them all on any one car/truck.  Many makes of Toyota (Scion is the same as a Toyota), Honda, Hyundai, VW, etc, etc are almost wholly built and assembled here in this country or in Canada, giving American workers good paying jobs they would not otherwise have.  Make good stuff, people will buy it.  Make good stuff consistently over the years, and the prediction is that it will continue to be good stuff.  Basic statistical predictions, not media bias.

Heck I don't much of anything is 100% made in the USA anymore.  My Dodge to truck was "Hecho in Mexico."  Our Springfield Armory pistols were made in Croatia.  The HD crank Rod received and sent back was made in China.

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #31 on: October 26, 2008, 02:15:59 AM »

Heck I don't much of anything is 100% made in the USA anymore.  My Dodge to truck was "Hecho in Mexico."  Our Springfield Armory pistols were made in Croatia.  The HD crank Rod received and sent back was made in China.

Henry...was the crank out of Thumper made in China?  I didn't think they started that until 07, but not sure I've ever seen that directly spoken about here...just curious.

Damn, are all the internals being made over there now?  You've got to catch me up on what's happening with your scoot....I somehow missed all of that.  Hope things are coming together as planned for you.
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

REGGAB

« Reply #32 on: October 26, 2008, 07:47:16 AM »

Henry...was the crank out of Thumper made in China?  I didn't think they started that until 07, but not sure I've ever seen that directly spoken about here...just curious.

Damn, are all the internals being made over there now?  You've got to catch me up on what's happening with your scoot....I somehow missed all of that.  Hope things are coming together as planned for you.

No, she had a good crank with the normal rod ends.  Replacement had tapered rod ends, so Rod repackaged it, sent it back, and ordered an S&S. 

Everything except the case halves will be new stuff.  Figured since everything was torn down, may as well spring for a Baker OD6, since the labor would be nil, so that is going in as well.

You didn't miss much.  She got REALLY sluggish.  No power.  Shaky.  Thank God we were close to home.  Long story short, pulled the sump plug and 22 ounces of oil came out.

SERK3

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 07 FLHRSE3
« Reply #33 on: October 26, 2008, 08:57:05 AM »

Yet all of those other companies would still give anything to have what Harley has.

I agree with you and charlie, the metrics have tried to copy a Harley and it just did not work for them, I have owned several Jap bikes since the early 70's, my 1st Harley in 04, 2nd Harley in 07, I will hang up my helmet if i have to buy any other bike.
07 SCREAMIN EAGLE ROAD KING, RAZOR RED WITH GOLD FLAMES
V&H DUALS WITH HI-OUTPUT SLIP-ONS, ZIPPERS THUNDER MAX w/AUTOTUNE, NESS BIG SUCKER, LED TURN AND BRAKE LIGHTS. FARING, HARD BAGS & KING TOUR PAK.
LIVE EASY, RIDE HARD

REGGAB

« Reply #34 on: October 26, 2008, 09:00:48 AM »

I agree with you and charlie, the metrics have tried to copy a Harley and it just did not work for them, I have owned several Jap bikes since the early 70's, my 1st Harley in 04, 2nd Harley in 07, I will hang up my helmet if i have to buy any other bike.

I can't say that........though I love my H-Ds.  Saw a Ducati this past week.  WOW!

BLM777

• 1K CVO Member
  • Who says 110's won't run? SofA 777

• CVO1: FXSTSSE3 Black Diamond/Emerald Ice
« Reply #35 on: October 26, 2008, 10:26:45 AM »

In watching this thread evolve from the "comparative analysis" it's strange that the bike rags or foreign bike proponents never factor in the cost of ownership with particular regard to residual value.  Wouldn't ever consider one of the other bikes in this test, but couldn't mentally handle the resale value a couple of years down the road based upon my own decision to make the purchase.

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #36 on: October 26, 2008, 11:53:22 AM »

No, she had a good crank with the normal rod ends.  Replacement had tapered rod ends, so Rod repackaged it, sent it back, and ordered an S&S. 

Everything except the case halves will be new stuff.  Figured since everything was torn down, may as well spring for a Baker OD6, since the labor would be nil, so that is going in as well.

You didn't miss much.  She got REALLY sluggish.  No power.  Shaky.  Thank God we were close to home.  Long story short, pulled the sump plug and 22 ounces of oil came out.

Well, Rod's been doin' it a while, so hopefully this will be the last time she's down other than normal wear and tear.  The six speed is a good idea....looking forward to hearing more about it in the future.
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

Classic Beast

• Elite CVO Member
    • BC

• Bob McImages
« Reply #37 on: October 26, 2008, 12:41:09 PM »

Hmm had lots of Jap bikes over the years even a ZIRTC 1000 cc turbo (9.84 1/4 mile times) In 1979 I bought a damaged 75 FLH to fix up and make money on, ended up keeping it and selling the other 5 bikes I had since it was more fun riding with bent forks and duct taped saddle bag at 55 mph and 49hp 74" shovel head than the 140mph rockets I owned. Do I have logical reasons, thats tough to explain, resale value, parts availability things like that are what I usually respond with but I have a sign on my wall that says if you have to ask then you wouldn't understand. I got the sign from my mother in law, it was a shock but she did understand and never did ask. Every once in a while I will ride something else but they just don't have the "magic" of the harley.
2012 Road glide ultra 103
DD7 Baker, S&S 570, Fulsac DX, 2"
SE CNC heads 58mm throttle body
95 FLSTN
127" Ultima
DD6 Baker
3 X PM 6 piston calipers
S&S Clutch
Lindal Ceramic discs
RB Black Hole pipe
Thunderstar mags
6 gal tanks
Custom Chrome front end
Rear chain drive
150WW Avon Venom rear tire
2009 Cadillac CTS-V

VI48

• CVO1: 08FLHTCUSE3
« Reply #38 on: October 27, 2008, 08:33:48 PM »

If HD cared more about quality than profits and return to shareholder, we wouldn't be in this situation!!! I've been saying for years to take care of the quality, make your customers happy, and you'll make the same money as you do the way you steal it now!!! FTF!!! ;)

Hoist! 8)

Well said Hoist

If HD cared about the people that love and buy Harleys they would stand behind there customers.
HD is not a giant auto manufacturer, in totalunits they are a small company. They produce a product that we buy with our heart because it is a Harley. The sound, feel, ride and the history is the purchase that we make. If HD would realize this and build quality the company and profits would also grow. Plain and simple more people would buy a HD if they could trust reliability.  A lot of the public buy fake HD bikes because of cost, if they knew HD built better quality they too would pay the extra to own one.

I have owned japanese dirt bikes and sport bikes and had great fun on them. I still get the urge to be hard in a curve inches from the ground but as far as cruising theres nothing like a my HD.
That being said if I bailed it would be because HD does not care about its customers.

Lance
Someday I can retire and just RIDE
By that time I won't be able to remember
where I left my bike

CVOJOE

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Life's a journey, why not enjoy the ride?
« Reply #39 on: October 31, 2008, 05:35:42 PM »

Many years ago while working a wrench, an arguement about which is better a BMW (which by then boss rode) or a Harley that my friend rode.  They decided to bet $100 on who could return first with a hot chick on the back.  The guy on the Harley was back in about 10 minutes.  My boss with the BMW was never seen again!

Thus endeth the lesson!  :2vrolijk_21: :huepfenjump3: :huepfenlol2:

We don't buy them because they're inexpensive, fast, smooth, reliable, technologically up to date, or competitive. We buy 'em cause they're Harleys and have an American soul (partly outsourced).

:drink:
2003 FLHRSEI2. (Sold) :(

Horsepower is how fast you hit a wall.Torque is how far you will take the wall with you.

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #40 on: October 31, 2008, 05:44:40 PM »

Thus endeth the lesson!  :2vrolijk_21: :huepfenjump3: :huepfenlol2:

We don't buy them because they're inexpensive, fast, smooth, reliable, technologically up to date, or competitive. We buy 'em cause they're Harleys and have an American soul (partly outsourced).

Yeah, but we should be able to get that, and still get excellent quality too, if they wanted to Joe. And it wouldn't cost em one red cent cause nobody would balk if these things were a few hundred more, but you got a flawless bike out of the deal! Get your heads out of your ass HD, before you lose these loyal customers!!! Build em like HD's AND build em right!!! You'll increase market share, profits, and return to shareholder, all while not costing you a damn thing!!! WTF is wrong with these people? FTF!!! ;)

Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

AZSSE

« Reply #41 on: October 31, 2008, 10:56:47 PM »

I know that Harley is over priced, under performing, and obsolete. I also know that every time I'm on something besides a Harley, no matter how fast, how comfortable, how well made, or how cheap, I feel like I should be on a Harley. Riding a Harley makes my heart feel warm, and I'm content on a Harley like I am no where else in life. When I'm on the highway with the sound of that engine competing with the wind to see who's louder, and nothing in sight except a white line down the middle of the road, I'm almost hypnotized, and all of my problems, both real and imagined, are far far away. I'll have a Harley, and ride a Harley until I can no longer get on a bike. And after that time comes, I'll want to be near the highway so I can see and hear them going by, just for the memories.

Spike

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 05 vrscse-sold
    • CVO2: 07 flhrse
« Reply #42 on: November 01, 2008, 01:49:52 AM »

Yeah, but we should be able to get that, and still get excellent quality too, if they wanted to Joe. And it wouldn't cost em one red cent cause nobody would balk if these things were a few hundred more, but you got a flawless bike out of the deal! Get your heads out of your ass HD, before you lose these loyal customers!!! Build em like HD's AND build em right!!! You'll increase market share, profits, and return to shareholder, all while not costing you a damn thing!!! WTF is wrong with these people? FTF!!! ;)

Hoist! 8)

Unfortunately, the corporate bean counters have become with the bottom line and will do anything to double their money.

MIKEYTEE

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka. Uncle Mikey! Mikeytee for Burbon Judge and
    • SC

• CVO1: 1999 ROADGLIDE Ultra SOLD
« Reply #43 on: November 01, 2008, 08:03:06 AM »

IMHO
Unfortunately, the stockholders of HD are for the most part investors not riders. That being said, they don't give a chit about anything but ROI. If they were riders they would care that the product was 1st class and as problem free as could be produced.
Then the ROI would follow.
Mike
Co-Founder /National Board Member/ Zen Master of CVO Harley Pondering,Hankering, & Moseying Society with all Honors, Rights and Accolades.

Charter Member CVO Harley Critter Gawking Society
Charter Member Husband Saints Society. We have Lucky Wives!
I saw the worlds largest ball of string in Cawker City, Kansas
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Page created in 0.203 seconds with 24 queries.