Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7  All

Author Topic: santa cruz harley CLOSE DOORS  (Read 30189 times)

miker

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009FLHTCUSE4
Re: santa cruz harley CLOSE DOORS
« Reply #30 on: November 12, 2008, 01:20:07 PM »

There is no way they can pay a 6.5% divi with the revenues going forward.   :(

I don't know the deal at SC but I do know it takes two to tango.   :-\

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #31 on: November 12, 2008, 01:25:20 PM »

Well JC is on the site and maybe he can post it!

JC?  :nixweiss: :nixweiss: :nixweiss:

;D

As soon as I opened this thread, earlier.....I had a fire to put out, here at work.  Looks like it got posted, anyway.  Just an FYI.....at times I'll have this site open....maybe three or four threads at a time and still have multiple windows of work related stuff that I'm working on and this is buried in the back.

On to the topic........not making a judgement but I do find it interesting that Mike mentions his employees working on customers bikes, delivering special order parts, etc. on their time and at their expense.  Aside from that being in violation of labor laws, this dealership was known for marking their bikes way up (until very recently) and getting it.  Yet we have other dealerships here in Nor Cal that have sold at MSRP for years and they're holding their own.  

We'll never get the opportunity, but it would be very interesting to hear the other side of this story.   :nixweiss:
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #32 on: November 12, 2008, 01:28:50 PM »

How far is Jim from there?
Jim needs a Harley dealership!

:bananarock:

Edited to add
Excuse me!
Let me get it right.
Harley needs a dealer like Jim!

:2vrolijk_21:

Uuhhh.......that is entirely the wrong direction for Jim to be moving in! I'm east, not west. :o
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

MUFFMAN

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 07 FLHTUSE2
    • CVO2: 09 FLTRSE3
« Reply #33 on: November 12, 2008, 01:38:46 PM »

Thank you!  I feel the love!

I paid for prepaid maintenance with my purchase a year ago.  Anyone know if I'm SOL or if there is any recourse?   :nixweiss:

If you paid for the extra maintanance with a credit card you may be okay. I know of people who used that recourse when they put large deposits on furniture etc. that was ordered but didn't get said product due to a company shutting its doors etc. Good luck. THE MUFFMAN

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #34 on: November 12, 2008, 02:06:20 PM »

If you paid for the extra maintanance with a credit card you may be okay. I know of people who used that recourse when they put large deposits on furniture etc. that was ordered but didn't get said product due to a company shutting its doors etc. Good luck. THE MUFFMAN

The killer there is the purchase being "a year ago."  Credit card companies are loathe to work with chargebacks initiated more than three to six months after original purchase.  It's one of those "the sooner the better" things.  Worth pursuing of course.  But I'd not have my hopes too high.

MUFFMAN

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 07 FLHTUSE2
    • CVO2: 09 FLTRSE3
« Reply #35 on: November 12, 2008, 02:25:59 PM »

The killer there is the purchase being "a year ago."  Credit card companies are loathe to work with chargebacks initiated more than three to six months after original purchase.  It's one of those "the sooner the better" things.  Worth pursuing of course.  But I'd not have my hopes too high.

Still worth a shot. Over a year had gone by on this furniture closedown from the time they paid for the furniture never received  and from the time they filed. I think the trick will be to request before Santa Cruz HD has been reimbursed in full in regards to all that was owed. THE MUFFMAN

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #36 on: November 12, 2008, 02:28:29 PM »

Still worth a shot. Over a year had gone by on this furniture closedown from the time they paid for the furniture never received  and from the time they filed. I think the trick will be to request before Santa Cruz HD has been reimbursed in full in regards to all that was owed. THE MUFFMAN

It's certainly worth keeping finger's crossed for.

ak

• 1K CVO Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #37 on: November 12, 2008, 02:38:17 PM »

Just got back from over the hill. I wanted to talk with some one about my parts.....The service manager was in a bad mood as can be expected.. He said no one new anything till 5 pm closing yesterday at which time they were told to come by today and pick up there chit....SO MUCH FOR PROPER NOTICE...   I was also talking with a guy( customer) who had fronted $250.. from debit card for parts yesterday late afternoon... He mentioned to me that an sol-cal buyer was working to buy the dealership and that the current owner asked the motor co. for a short sale regarding fees ,transferr, loan forgiveness and was shot down...  PS. JIM,S Fine right where he is-AK
« Last Edit: November 12, 2008, 02:41:23 PM by ak »
,04seeg,s 09 roadglide,09 ultra

Boatman

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited
    • CVO2: 2010 SEUC-accident victim-gone
    • CVO3: 2005 SEEG-traded on 2010
« Reply #38 on: November 12, 2008, 03:10:01 PM »

PS. JIM,S Fine right where he is-AK

We can't speak for Jim, but I believe I would stay where I am at also.  Money is nice but sometimes not worth the money or aggrevation.  He has a nice niche business now.

HUBBARD

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHTCUSE7
    • WV

« Reply #39 on: November 12, 2008, 03:12:13 PM »

As soon as I opened this thread, earlier.....I had a fire to put out, here at work.  Looks like it got posted, anyway.  Just an FYI.....at times I'll have this site open....maybe three or four threads at a time and still have multiple windows of work related stuff that I'm working on and this is buried in the back.

On to the topic........not making a judgement but I do find it interesting that Mike mentions his employees working on customers bikes, delivering special order parts, etc. on their time and at their expense.  Aside from that being in violation of labor laws, this dealership was known for marking their bikes way up (until very recently) and getting it.  Yet we have other dealerships here in Nor Cal that have sold at MSRP for years and they're holding their own.  
We'll never get the opportunity, but it would be very interesting to hear the other side of this story.   :nixweiss:

That's what I was talking about.  If it starts coming back around to some of these greedy ba$tards, there will be weeping and knashing of teeth.  I wish bad for no one, but there are some people with HD Dealer Agreements that flat don't deserve the privilege.  I know one in particular that out and out lied on the application to become a Dealer, and has grossly mistreated some past employees beyond belief.  If it wasn't for his Daddy's money, he'd be flipping burgers at MickeyD's.  'Nuff said.  Later--HUBBARD        
2012 FLHTCUSE7  (Electric Orange/Black)  Built Motor (124), D&D "Borzilla" Exhaust, Tilley/K&N Air Induction,
"National President"-"Hillbilly Rocket Riders", MC, Mother Chapter, WV
"National President"-"W.H.O.R.E", TPT, WV Chapter

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #40 on: November 12, 2008, 03:51:18 PM »

Just got back from over the hill. I wanted to talk with some one about my parts.....The service manager was in a bad mood as can be expected.. He said no one new anything till 5 pm closing yesterday at which time they were told to come by today and pick up there chit....SO MUCH FOR PROPER NOTICE...   I was also talking with a guy( customer) who had fronted $250.. from debit card for parts yesterday late afternoon... He mentioned to me that an sol-cal buyer was working to buy the dealership and that the current owner asked the motor co. for a short sale regarding fees ,transferr, loan forgiveness and was shot down...  PS. JIM,S Fine right where he is-AK

I was expecting something like that from you and Ernie and others that are close by. :huepfenlol2:

You're right Carl.  And I suspect that this dealership will not be the last to fall for the reasons you stated.

Another interesting note along this vein.....HD Financial has still not lowered the interest rate to attract more buyers (as the auto mfg. have done).  I was surprised to learn that they're still up around 7 1/2%

West Coast GTG   

harley56

• Full CVO Member
  • 2004 FLHTCSE
« Reply #41 on: November 12, 2008, 04:17:14 PM »

Being out in this market and knowing a little about the situation, I can assure you there is another side to Mike's shot at the Motor Company.  He's most likely been in a dire situation for a very, very long time and has been given more opportunities than one could believe to make thing's right..........finally enough is enough.
As far as more dealer's going down.  To those that think any well run dealership that treat's it's curstomers fairly will survive these days, is a stretch.  Those that have been around forever and own their property are in a pretty good position.  Dealer's struggling with mortgage payments, or high monthly rents rents can only reduce their costs by so much and are struggling severely.  In California 28% of all people own homes that their mortgage exceeds the value of their home.  There are few, if any people walking into harley dealerships out here and buying motorcycles, and I guarantee you a dealership cannot be profitable and stay in business without selling a certain volume of new motorcycles at, or near msrp.  Parts, Accessories, Motorclothes and Service business comes nowhere close to covering costs.

HUBBARD

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHTCUSE7
    • WV

« Reply #42 on: November 12, 2008, 04:48:03 PM »

Being out in this market and knowing a little about the situation, I can assure you there is another side to Mike's shot at the Motor Company.  He's most likely been in a dire situation for a very, very long time and has been given more opportunities than one could believe to make thing's right..........finally enough is enough.
As far as more dealer's going down.  To those that think any well run dealership that treat's it's curstomers fairly will survive these days, is a stretch.  Those that have been around forever and own their property are in a pretty good position.  Dealer's struggling with mortgage payments, or high monthly rents rents can only reduce their costs by so much and are struggling severely.  In California 28% of all people own homes that their mortgage exceeds the value of their home.  There are few, if any people walking into harley dealerships out here and buying motorcycles, and I guarantee you a dealership cannot be profitable and stay in business without selling a certain volume of new motorcycles at, or near msrp.  Parts, Accessories, Motorclothes and Service business comes nowhere close to covering costs.

I would beg to differ there, Sir.  One of my close friends happens to be Harley Dealer, and we have shared information about the nature of our businesses, as I am a Western Star Truck Dealer.  It is every Dealers dream to have 100% absorption rate from parts and service, leaving sales as gravy.  I know for a fact HD has more mark-up on parts than I do.  I also know HD MSRP holds an attractive profit margin for the Dealer.  While nothing happens in the beginning until a Motorsickle or Truck is sold in our businesses, we now both enjoy the rewards of years of hard work and treating people right, and have our Parts and Service Departments paying the bills.  While anybody can sell a Motorsickle or Truck, or anything for that matter, one time, it's the repeat and referral business that makes one strong.  When a person finds out his a$$ been set to fire, he usually doesn't come back for more.  In any Dealership, the money is made in the Shop.  When you tilt the beam, and try to make it all on sales, one is doomed for failure.  It just won't last.  Not where I'm from, anyway.  There  endeth the lesson.  Later--HUBBARD             
2012 FLHTCUSE7  (Electric Orange/Black)  Built Motor (124), D&D "Borzilla" Exhaust, Tilley/K&N Air Induction,
"National President"-"Hillbilly Rocket Riders", MC, Mother Chapter, WV
"National President"-"W.H.O.R.E", TPT, WV Chapter

miker

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009FLHTCUSE4
« Reply #43 on: November 12, 2008, 04:51:48 PM »

"When a person finds out his a$$ been set to fire, he usually doesn't come back for more."

Ain't whistlin Dixie there Mr. Carl....

I got 4th new bike since 2000 this year, from a 3rd dealer.  Its a shame when you want to give somebody money..

BLM777

• 1K CVO Member
  • Who says 110's won't run? SofA 777

• CVO1: FXSTSSE3 Black Diamond/Emerald Ice
« Reply #44 on: November 12, 2008, 05:06:25 PM »

You nailed that one Hub.  In referencing the HD shops that I have been interested in Parts and Service carry the debt load.  One major difference in HD shops that many don't realize is that Motor Clothes can, in and of itself, carry the store.  Both of the above portions leave Sales wide open to provide the profit.  As you mentioned, it's all about the management concept of running a business that is in for the long haul as opposed to a quick hit. 
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7  All

Page created in 0.213 seconds with 21 queries.