Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]  All

Author Topic: santa cruz harley CLOSE DOORS  (Read 30191 times)

harley56

• Full CVO Member
  • 2004 FLHTCSE
Re: santa cruz harley CLOSE DOORS
« Reply #90 on: November 24, 2008, 04:22:40 PM »

Ok, I understand the $200-$270 construction cost and that is in-line with the South Florida market. However, most commercial buildings are leasing for anywhere from $10-$22 per sq.ft. triple net down south. On top of that there is a 6% sales tax applied to a lease. So your 25k s.f. @ $10 X 6% would be $22K a month. That's a lot of vehicles to sell. I just thought $2 per sq.ft. was cheap. If you've got that $6-$7 million to carry as a monthly nut, I could see where a business would find it hard to survive.

Looks like I was comparing my apples to your oranges - whoops!  My $2 sq.ft. is per month.

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
    • CVO2: 2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
    • CVO3: 2003 Fatboy, 95"quot, S&ampS 570 gear drive cam
« Reply #91 on: November 28, 2008, 09:10:27 AM »

I was just there 2 months ago. GREAT DEALERSHIP!!!!!! One of the best I have ever visited.

Be Safe

THE DAWG

I feel truely lucky to have that one 62 miles from the house :2vrolijk_21:

So far they have treated me great with both bike purchaes, and also with service.
2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
2019 FLTRXSE Red Pepper / Magnetic Gray Traded
2018 FLTRXSE Gunship Gray  Traded
2017 FLHXSE  Starfire Black / Atomic Red  Traded
2015 FLTRUSE Abyss Blue / Crushed Saphire Traded
2013 FLHRSE5 Diamond Dust 117  Traded
2012 FLTRXSE White Gold Pearl / Starfire Black  Traded
2009 FLTRSE3 Silver/Titanium  Traded
2003 Fatboy, real fire paint set,

hard10

• Emperor of the Imperial Grand Masters of Sarcasm
  • 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM # 6 1/157.48

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE²
« Reply #92 on: December 02, 2008, 02:52:02 AM »

erniezap

• Global Moderator
  • 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 SEUC - Black/Orange
« Reply #93 on: December 02, 2008, 10:00:21 AM »

Today's SJ Mercury News Business section article...

For Mike James, watching the failure of his Santa Cruz Harley-Davidson dealership was a little like watching a slow-motion car crash.

He knew months ago that the economy was in trouble. Motorcycle sales began to slide, and he could see a day when he wouldn't be able to cover his costs and make payments on the debt he took on to start and expand his business. In March, he closed a small branch location he'd opened in Watsonville.

He even sought out buyers, eventually finding one who was willing to take over the Santa Cruz dealership provided he and James could extract concessions from James' lenders.

Those concessions never materialized, and last month James closed his doors for good.

"I don't think you can fully anticipate how ugly it is unless you've witnessed it firsthand,'' says James, 47, who opened the dealership nearly 13 years ago. "I don't wish it on anybody.''

James doesn't mean ugly just for him. In fact, his story holds a larger truth: Often in cases like this, a community loses not only a business but a piece of itself.

"It's like a death in the family," says Keri Baughman, a regular customer and member of the Santa Cruz Harley Ownership Group. "We're pretty sad. We've shed some tears."

No question Harley customers are passionate. But the same sadness is likely to play out again and again as the nation spirals deeper into recession and other Mike Jameses find they can't make it. Bookstores, cafes, mom-and-pop shops will close, leaving voids in storefronts and hearts.

"I think Christmas for retailers is going to be devastating," James says.

James knows devastation. His sales dropped from 50 motorcycles a little over a year ago to 15 in October.

"It's consumer confidence," James says. "People are scared to death."

He is not making excuses. James says he was in charge. And he feels terrible when he thinks about the way the closing of his shop will ripple through Santa Cruz and beyond.

It starts with the 24 employees who were laid off when the store closed.

"What I had been suffering most from," James says, "was that I had these employees who right before the holidays were being put out of work."

And there are customers like Baughman and others who came from throughout California and beyond for camaraderie and to visit the small museum of Harley artifacts that James set up. Bikers would gather at the store at Seabright and Soquel avenues, sipping free coffee, swapping stories and planning road trips.

James kept them in touch with a blog and an e-mail newsletter that had 28,000 subscribers at the end. When he posted news of the closing, he received more than 700 e-mails. The Saturday after the store closed, bikers came to the parking lot to pay their final respects.

James says he counted about 350 bikers pull up over the course of the day. "It was almost like a herd of elephants coming back to mourn the dead," he says.

The ripples don't stop with laid-off employees and customers. James says he thinks about the crepe restaurant next door. His customers won't wander over anymore and order. He thinks about his landlords — two elderly women — who won't receive his rent check anymore. And he thinks about the city and his dealership's spot as one of the top 20 sales-tax generators in town.

James has turned over the dealership's assets to Harley-Davidson, which is his lead lender. He suspects the company and a secondary lender will come after him for the balance of his loans. Harley spokesman Bob Klein said the company does not comment on issues involving individual dealerships.

No, James is not sure how he'll pay his lenders. And his plans are hardly specific.

"I'm going to be out there with my employees," he says, "looking for a job."

The ripples continue.

2012 Black/Orange SEUC

FNGw/08SERK

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 SERG
« Reply #94 on: December 02, 2008, 10:19:22 AM »

It's an interesting read. Thanks for posting. It would appear the author would suggest the Mothership was NOT willing to negotiate to keep the doors open  :confused5: Where's Paul Harvey  :confused5: :huepfenjump3:

amigo Jorge

• LDR #00372
  • 5k CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: '20 FLHTCUTGSE Trike CVO
« Reply #95 on: December 03, 2008, 11:14:11 AM »

The situation at the HD dealers are not good everywhere............I have been purchasing all the parts from Motor City Harley Davidson in Farmington Hills, MI for the last three years which gave me 20% discount an excellent service. I have created a good relationship with them diring these years. I sent an email to Tom (the guys have been dealing with) and I was wondering why he didn't answered me immediately so I sent a message to Ann (Parts Manager) and she answered this:

Tom- is laid off for 3 months.  Times are bad here.

screwup

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 08 SEUC 3
« Reply #96 on: December 04, 2008, 08:31:33 AM »

:( Central Harley Shawnee KS and Olathe Ks annmounced Jan 1 they will close the Shawnee Store in the past several months they have been laying off just about everybody except the family members. 

laylonlor

• 1K CVO Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #97 on: December 04, 2008, 10:46:05 AM »

looks like hd , gm and crystler are going under :o

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #98 on: December 04, 2008, 10:54:49 AM »

:( Central Harley Shawnee KS and Olathe Ks annmounced Jan 1 they will close the Shawnee Store in the past several months they have been laying off just about everybody except the family members. 

That's too bad.  I'd had good service at the parts counter at that store.  That something in the KC area might not survive isn't a great surprise though.  Five or six dealerships in the overall greater metro area always seemed a bit much.  Olathe and Shawnee are only 15 miles apart. 

Georgehjr

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLTRUSE CVO™ Road Glide® Ultra-Rio Red/Black/ Ember-Triked Out
    • CVO2: 2008 FLHTCUSE3 Screamin' Eagle Ultra Classic #1408/Triked Out
    • CVO3: 2010 FLHXSE TEQUILA SUNRISE/Not A CVO-2002 Heritage Softail---
Economic ripples continue at Harley dealership
« Reply #99 on: December 12, 2008, 11:00:13 AM »

SAN JOSE, Calif., Dec 12, 2008

For Mike James, watching the failure of his Santa Cruz Harley-Davidson dealership was a little like watching a slow-motion car crash. 
He knew months ago that the economy was in trouble. Motorcycle sales began to slide, and he could see a day when he wouldn't be able to cover his costs and make payments on the debt he took on to start and expand his business. In March, he closed a small branch location.

He even sought out buyers, eventually finding one who was willing to take over the Santa Cruz, Calif., dealership provided the buyer and James could extract concessions from James' lenders.

Those concessions never materialized, and last month James closed his doors for good.

"I don't think you can fully anticipate how ugly it is unless you've witnessed it firsthand," says James, 47, who opened the dealership nearly 13 years ago. "I don't wish it on anybody."

James doesn't mean ugly just for him. In fact, his story holds a larger truth: Often in cases like this, a community loses not only a business but a piece of itself.

"It's like a death in the family," says Keri Baughman, a regular customer and member of the Santa Cruz Harley Ownership Group. "We're pretty sad. We've shed some tears."

No question Harley customers are passionate. But the same sadness is likely to play out again and again as the nation spirals deeper into recession and other Mike Jameses find they can't make it. Bookstores, cafes, mom-and-pop shops will close, leaving voids in storefronts and hearts.

"I think Christmas for retailers is going to be devastating," James says.

James knows devastation. His sales dropped from 50 motorcycles a little over a year ago to 15 in October.

"It's consumer confidence," James says. "People are scared to death."

He is not making excuses. James says he was in charge. And he feels terrible when he thinks about the way the closing of his shop will ripple through Santa Cruz and beyond.

"What I had been suffering most from," James says, "was that I had these employees who right before the holidays were being put out of work."

And there are customers like Baughman and others who came from throughout California and beyond for camaraderie and to visit the small museum of Harley artifacts that James set up. Bikers would gather at the store, sipping free coffee, swapping stories and planning road trips.

James kept them in touch with a blog and an e-mail newsletter that had 28,000 subscribers at the end. When he posted news of the closing, he received more than 700 e-mails. The Saturday after the store closed, bikers came to the parking lot to pay their final respects.

James says he counted about 350 bikers pull up over the course of the day. "It was almost like a herd of elephants coming back to mourn the dead," he says.

The ripples don't stop with laid-off employees and customers. James says he thinks about the crepe restaurant next door. His customers won't wander over anymore and order. He thinks about his landlords - two elderly women - who won't receive his rent check anymore. And he thinks about the city and his dealership's spot as one of the top 20 sales-tax generators in town.

James has turned over the dealership's assets to Harley-Davidson, which is his lead lender. He suspects the company and a secondary lender will come after him for the balance of his loans. Harley spokesman Bob Klein said the company does not comment on issues involving individual dealerships.

No, James is not sure how he'll pay his lenders. And his plans are hardly specific.

"I'm going to be out there with my employees," he says, "looking for a job."

---

(c) 2008, San Jose Mercury News (San Jose, Calif.).

Visit MercuryNews.com, the World Wide Web site of the Mercury News, at http://www.mercurynews.com.

Distributed by McClatchy-Tribune Information Services.

The one with the most Toys , WINS !!!

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #100 on: December 12, 2008, 11:29:23 AM »

I find this interesting.  I was told that the employees weren't told until that morning...."we're closing, you can come tomorrow to pick up your tools".  Why wouldn't he give them advance notice? 

And why not give the customers advance notice?  I know a member of this forum who gave them money on parts ordered just a couple days before he closed the doors. 

I'm not feeling any compassion for the guy but I sure do for his emplyees and customers.
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

dirtyoldman

• 0 to 100 in WTF?!?!
  • Junior CVO Member
  • ain't retired,,, I'm at RECESS!!

• CVO1: 09 CVO FATBOB
« Reply #101 on: January 19, 2009, 01:01:01 PM »

Sad times indeed, and alot of relevant points, but the way things are stacking up, everyone is going to feel this big pinch. I found my 09 fxdfse up in SF, and had HOT swap bikes so I could try to keep the the $$ local. I'm a firm believer in support your local 'whatever'. And the thought of paying that kind of interest on 30k?! that's frikkin silly. Paid cash 4 mine, and will again 4 my next one.

Folks slam Employers for the 'lock-out' type shut downs, but having been thru similar experiences, the very worst comes out even in some of the best people when you take away their livelyhood and future. Sad, But a necessary precaution to protect whats left of his investment.

Unfortunately, when things turn this bad, survival dictates stabilize form the core out. Corporate first, then appendages. What good will it do us in 10 years if HD starts carries the heat from suffering dealers only to have that debt be what puts Corp. in the crapper? Sad the economy is going so far south, but in my humble mumblings,,, It started to seem like HD dealers were the new Starbucks. A dealer in Lathrop?!?! hmmm,,,  I truly believe Corp was too giddy from past sales to grow judiciously. Looks like they way overestimated the ability of all these dealers to sustain a sufficient share of aggregate (sales / service) income to thrive. HOT is even offering financing bikes on craigsList. Good idea, bad timing,,

Geez, 50% sale email flyer from my local dealer,,, not a bad omen I hope,,,,

Who knows, this just may change the face of HD dealerships as we know them.

God BLess the 'casualties' and here's hoping they find a way to cope.
'til that time, Ustes, 'til that time,,,
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]  All

Page created in 0.213 seconds with 21 queries.