Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7  All

Author Topic: santa cruz harley CLOSE DOORS  (Read 30244 times)

harley56

• Full CVO Member
  • 2004 FLHTCSE
Re: santa cruz harley CLOSE DOORS
« Reply #45 on: November 12, 2008, 06:47:46 PM »

I would beg to differ there, Sir.  One of my close friends happens to be Harley Dealer, and we have shared information about the nature of our businesses, as I am a Western Star Truck Dealer.  It is every Dealers dream to have 100% absorption rate from parts and service, leaving sales as gravy.  I know for a fact HD has more mark-up on parts than I do.  I also know HD MSRP holds an attractive profit margin for the Dealer.  While nothing happens in the beginning until a Motorsickle or Truck is sold in our businesses, we now both enjoy the rewards of years of hard work and treating people right, and have our Parts and Service Departments paying the bills.  While anybody can sell a Motorsickle or Truck, or anything for that matter, one time, it's the repeat and referral business that makes one strong.  When a person finds out his a$$ been set to fire, he usually doesn't come back for more.  In any Dealership, the money is made in the Shop.  When you tilt the beam, and try to make it all on sales, one is doomed for failure.  It just won't last.  Not where I'm from, anyway.  There  endeth the lesson.  Later--HUBBARD             

Thanks for the response Hubbard - I respect your beg to differ and I'm not a sir, but I appreciate the formality :)  First off, I am in complete agreement with your words and the lesson that can be learned from what happened to Santa Cruz.  I'm not sure if you're calling me out, or not, but I too happen to be a harley dealer also and have some knowledge of what is takes to be profitable these days, at least here in California.  I do not know your mark-up on parts.  Harley's margin on accessories and motorclothes is more along the lines of 35%.  When you're turning items twice a year, that will not substantially cover the overhead.  I agree, harley msrp allows for a fair profit margin and I believe premium pricing has no place at a harley dealership.  The reality is motorcycle sales accounts for approximately 65%+ of a dealer's revenues.  There are not many, if any, dealers in California who can quite selling motorcycles for a profit and remain profitable regardless of what your friend is able to do with his dealership.  I invite you to lose one-half of 65% of your revenues and see how well your bottom line looks. We happen to be in the top 10% in customer satisfaction per Harley-Davidson and take great pride in customer relationships, so please don't lecture me on service and the shop - again I agree!  That is primary to doing things the right way, but service, parts, accessories and motorclothes revenues cannot support the business in our wonderful area - period!

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #46 on: November 12, 2008, 06:53:57 PM »

Thanks for the response Hubbard - I respect your beg to differ and I'm not a sir, but I appreciate the formality :)  First off, I am in complete agreement with your words and the lesson that can be learned from what happened to Santa Cruz.  I'm not sure if you're calling me out, or not, but I too happen to be a harley dealer also and have some knowledge of what is takes to be profitable these days, at least here in California.  I do not know your mark-up on parts.  Harley's margin on accessories and motorclothes is more along the lines of 35%.  When you're turning items twice a year, that will not substantially cover the overhead.  I agree, harley msrp allows for a fair profit margin and I believe premium pricing has no place at a harley dealership.  The reality is motorcycle sales accounts for approximately 65%+ of a dealer's revenues.  There are not many, if any, dealers in California who can quite selling motorcycles for a profit and remain profitable regardless of what your friend is able to do with his dealership.  I invite you to lose one-half of 65% of your revenues and see how well your bottom line looks. We happen to be in the top 10% in customer satisfaction per Harley-Davidson and take great pride in customer relationships, so please don't lecture me on service and the shop - again I agree!  That is primary to doing things the right way, but service, parts, accessories and motorclothes revenues cannot support the business in our wonderful area - period!

Just because I am curious, what MOCO dealership is yours?   :nixweiss:
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

hard10

• Emperor of the Imperial Grand Masters of Sarcasm
  • 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM # 6 1/157.48

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE²
« Reply #47 on: November 12, 2008, 07:12:44 PM »

The other side to that, of course, is that perhaps the geographic area was too congested for its market.  So something may need to die and everyone and everything else is better in the long run for it...  As painful as it might be some businesses are going to fail though.

As the word of the automobile industry collapsing restructuring becomes apparent, many auto dealers are going to close. As of last week, 600 dealerships nationwide have closed. Rjobs & I have discussed this in another thread. Harley now has ~700+ dealerships in the US. It makes one wonder what the saturation point is? How many dealers are too many? Miker has purchased 4 motorcycles in the last 8 years and had only gone back to one. Why? In his market there are at least eight dealers within a 75 mile radius. I on the other hand have to travel 55 miles to the closest one.  Whit the credit "crunch" being as tight as it is, I foresee more consolidation.

harley56

• Full CVO Member
  • 2004 FLHTCSE
« Reply #48 on: November 12, 2008, 07:16:19 PM »

Just because I am curious, what MOCO dealership is yours?   :nixweiss:
Sadunbar, thanks for the question, but I would really rather just be known as a fellow enthusiast as I've been that alot longer than I've been a Harley dealer.  I only mentioned it to try and bring a measure of credibility to my rambling.

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
    • IL

« Reply #49 on: November 12, 2008, 07:17:50 PM »

Sadunbar, thanks for the question, but I would really rather just be known as a fellow enthusiast as I've been that alot longer than I've been a Harley dealer.  I only mentioned it to try and bring a measure of credibility to my rambling.

No problem...like I said....just curious...   :2vrolijk_21:
Screamin Eagle 120r
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #50 on: November 12, 2008, 07:20:51 PM »

As the word of the automobile industry collapsing restructuring becomes apparent, many auto dealers are going to close. As of last week, 600 dealerships nationwide have closed. Rjobs & I have discussed this in another thread. Harley now has ~700+ dealerships in the US. It makes one wonder what the saturation point is? How many dealers are too many? Miker has purchased 4 motorcycles in the last 8 years and had only gone back to one. Why? In his market there are at least eight dealers within a 75 mile radius. I on the other hand have to travel 55 miles to the closest one.  Whit the credit "crunch" being as tight as it is, I foresee more consolidation.
I thought my 30/45 miles to get to the two closest dealers to me was bad, and I live in the largest (in population) of both the city's where the dealers are located. :confused5:

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
    • IL

« Reply #51 on: November 12, 2008, 07:25:27 PM »

I thought my 30/45 miles to get to the two closest dealers to me was bad, and I live in the largest (in population) of both the city's where the dealers are located. :confused5:

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:

There are six dealerships with 50 miles of me.... and probably 20 more (Madison, Milwaukee, Chicago area dealers) within 100 miles...  No lack of choices....
Screamin Eagle 120r
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
  • Go fast or go home! EBCM member # 2.36 .01%
    • CVO2: 2011.5 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG
« Reply #52 on: November 12, 2008, 07:37:04 PM »

First let me say,

Harley56 I appreciate your response!

As far as location, mine is 3 miles away.
If it was 103 miles I would pass the other 10 that would be closer, to get to "mine".
I am loyal to them because they are loyal to me, even when the economy sucks.

:2vrolijk_21:

2012      SERG  "Nu Blue"
2018      Goldwing   
2003      HD Electra Glide Classic Silver and Black, of course!                
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans
2018      Shelby GT350, 963 crank hp, 825 rear wheel hp

AZSSE

« Reply #53 on: November 12, 2008, 08:10:08 PM »

What I'm afraid of is that with the economy going the way it is, our bikes are going to lose about half their value over the next 6 month - year. What do you all think??

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
    • IL

« Reply #54 on: November 12, 2008, 08:13:04 PM »

What I'm afraid of is that with the economy going the way it is, our bikes are going to lose about half their value over the next 6 month - year. What do you all think??

Naw....not likely... 

Myself, I bought mine to ride and never really consider its value vs. the economy...  Just really doesn't matter.  It won't with the next one  - or the one after that either...
Screamin Eagle 120r
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

AZSSE

« Reply #55 on: November 12, 2008, 08:17:40 PM »

I was mainly concerned about the people that have financed a 30-40 thousand dollar bike that won't sell for 25000. But you're right I bought mine to ride also, not for what it's worth. Thanks for setting my priorities back straight.

ak

• 1K CVO Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #56 on: November 12, 2008, 08:32:13 PM »

I purchased all my bikes to ride could care less about value as i don,t plan on selling--AK  Get your value out of the product on the road, solo or with friends, stress relief, and life time experences..what ever you get after that in selling is a bonus--AK
,04seeg,s 09 roadglide,09 ultra

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
    • IL

« Reply #57 on: November 12, 2008, 08:33:52 PM »

I purchased all my bikes to ride could care less about value as i don,t plan on selling--AK  Get your value out of the product on the road, solo or with friends, stress relief, and life time experences..what ever you get after that in selling is a bonus--AK

exactly right....
Screamin Eagle 120r
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

ak

• 1K CVO Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #58 on: November 12, 2008, 08:37:01 PM »

Harley56--Try to make some of are nor-cal ride... We can keep your biz private those who have been on the site for along time remember  the nor-cal folk didn,t give up V-Girl------AK
,04seeg,s 09 roadglide,09 ultra

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
    • CVO2: 2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
    • CVO3: 2003 Fatboy, 95"quot, S&ampS 570 gear drive cam
« Reply #59 on: November 12, 2008, 09:04:52 PM »

We have 6 dealers in my area.  I am sure two of them will have a hard time.  They have poor service depts, and un friendly staffs, and owners are never around.  We have two that will struggle but should make it.

Our newest dealer opend in late 2004.  I bet they make it.  Owner is very active in the dealership, there most the time.  He is also a rider, and an avid one at that.  He moves more bikes than any one in the state now.  He sells at or below MSRP.  All the the staff is very friendly.  Service dept is very good.

He also has a huge out door pavilon on site, with concerts, food and beer on week ends.  Beer is 2 a can.  Food is good an reasonable.  Concerts are free unless it is a big name band.  He keeps a small t-shirt, hat and such stand open on all friday and saturday night concerts until mid night.  These events get big with 2000 or more the norm for a Saturday night concert.
2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
2019 FLTRXSE Red Pepper / Magnetic Gray Traded
2018 FLTRXSE Gunship Gray  Traded
2017 FLHXSE  Starfire Black / Atomic Red  Traded
2015 FLTRUSE Abyss Blue / Crushed Saphire Traded
2013 FLHRSE5 Diamond Dust 117  Traded
2012 FLTRXSE White Gold Pearl / Starfire Black  Traded
2009 FLTRSE3 Silver/Titanium  Traded
2003 Fatboy, real fire paint set,
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7  All

Page created in 0.192 seconds with 22 queries.