Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7  All

Author Topic: santa cruz harley CLOSE DOORS  (Read 30246 times)

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
Re: santa cruz harley CLOSE DOORS
« Reply #60 on: November 12, 2008, 09:09:12 PM »

Sadunbar, thanks for the question, but I would really rather just be known as a fellow enthusiast as I've been that alot longer than I've been a Harley dealer.  I only mentioned it to try and bring a measure of credibility to my rambling.
Kudos for you. :2vrolijk_21: I'm lucky to have a dealer like that local to me too.

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

hard10

• Emperor of the Imperial Grand Masters of Sarcasm
  • 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM # 6 1/157.48

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE²
« Reply #61 on: November 12, 2008, 09:11:43 PM »

We have 6 dealers in my area.  I am sure two of them will have a hard time.  They have poor service depts, and un friendly staffs, and owners are never around.  We have two that will struggle but should make it.

Our newest dealer opend in late 2004.  I bet they make it.  Owner is very active in the dealership, there most the time.  He is also a rider, and an avid one at that.  He moves more bikes than any one in the state now.  He sells at or below MSRP.  All the the staff is very friendly.  Service dept is very good.

He also has a huge out door pavilon on site, with concerts, food and beer on week ends.  Beer is 2 a can.  Food is good an reasonable.  Concerts are free unless it is a big name band.  He keeps a small t-shirt, hat and such stand open on all friday and saturday night concerts until mid night.  These events get big with 2000 or more the norm for a Saturday night concert.

Where is it? I'd like to put it on my 'must see' dealer list.

Texas 103

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • TX

• CVO1: 2016 "RGU"
« Reply #62 on: November 12, 2008, 11:33:39 PM »

As soon as I opened this thread, earlier.....I had a fire to put out, here at work.  Looks like it got posted, anyway.  Just an FYI.....at times I'll have this site open....maybe three or four threads at a time and still have multiple windows of work related stuff that I'm working on and this is buried in the back.

On to the topic........not making a judgement but I do find it interesting that Mike mentions his employees working on customers bikes, delivering special order parts, etc. on their time and at their expense.  Aside from that being in violation of labor laws, this dealership was known for marking their bikes way up (until very recently) and getting it.  Yet we have other dealerships here in Nor Cal that have sold at MSRP for years and they're holding their own.  

We'll never get the opportunity, but it would be very interesting to hear the other side of this story.   :nixweiss:

Aside from that being in violation of labor laws, this dealership was known for marking their bikes way up (until very recently) and getting it.  Yet we have other dealerships here in Nor Cal that have sold at MSRP for years and they're holding their own. 

Exactly my sentiments in my post, ATTITUDE.....And like Hub said, passion for HD's...That will win every time>>>>>Greg 
Too Much of a good thing is just right !! Then more is always better

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
    • CVO2: 2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
    • CVO3: 2003 Fatboy, 95"quot, S&ampS 570 gear drive cam
« Reply #63 on: November 13, 2008, 01:00:19 AM »

It is in Marryville TN.  Smoky Mountain is it's name.  The have a T-shirt store in Gatlinburg and a smaller store with bikes in Seivierville.  But the one to see is the big one in Marryville.  Use to be a Lowes.
2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
2019 FLTRXSE Red Pepper / Magnetic Gray Traded
2018 FLTRXSE Gunship Gray  Traded
2017 FLHXSE  Starfire Black / Atomic Red  Traded
2015 FLTRUSE Abyss Blue / Crushed Saphire Traded
2013 FLHRSE5 Diamond Dust 117  Traded
2012 FLTRXSE White Gold Pearl / Starfire Black  Traded
2009 FLTRSE3 Silver/Titanium  Traded
2003 Fatboy, real fire paint set,

Cigarmike

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #64 on: November 13, 2008, 01:08:11 AM »

Just because I am curious, what MOCO dealership is yours?   :nixweiss:

"We happen to be in the top 10% in customer satisfaction per Harley-Davidson and take great pride in customer relationships, so please don't lecture me on service and the shop - again I agree!  That is primary to doing things the right way"

Well we can rule out Bob Drons obviously.
You will get no more Respect than you are willing to give.

harley56

• Full CVO Member
  • 2004 FLHTCSE
« Reply #65 on: November 13, 2008, 03:18:18 AM »

"We happen to be in the top 10% in customer satisfaction per Harley-Davidson and take great pride in customer relationships, so please don't lecture me on service and the shop - again I agree!  That is primary to doing things the right way"

Well we can rule out Bob Drons obviously.

Thanks for the best laugh of my day - I don't think Bob spends much time on here.

MUFFMAN

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 07 FLHTUSE2
    • CVO2: 09 FLTRSE3
« Reply #66 on: November 13, 2008, 05:02:48 AM »

Up here where I live in Ontario up until 5 years ago the local HD was owned by the same people for 20 years. They had an old , out of date building but did well. HD forced them into building the fancy dealership in typical Harley fashion.  After two years in the new building the MoCo told them it wasn't big enough and wanted them to construct a new building right on the main hyway. They said no & decided to sell to a trucking firm. Did very well in the sale. Said trucking company lasted one year. It has since been taken over by a large dealer ship who plans to follow through with HD's plans for a mega store. THE MUFFMAN

hard10

• Emperor of the Imperial Grand Masters of Sarcasm
  • 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM # 6 1/157.48

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE²
« Reply #67 on: November 13, 2008, 07:34:18 AM »

Up here where I live in Ontario up until 5 years ago the local HD was owned by the same people for 20 years. They had an old , out of date building but did well. HD forced them into building the fancy dealership in typical Harley fashion.  After two years in the new building the MoCo told them it wasn't big enough and wanted them to construct a new building right on the main hyway. They said no & decided to sell to a trucking firm. Did very well in the sale. Said trucking company lasted one year. It has since been taken over by a large dealer ship who plans to follow through with HD's plans for a mega store. THE MUFFMAN

This once again sounds like a case of ego making sound business decisions. One of the things I have learned in business is that bigger glitz and glamor are not always the most profitable.

HUBBARD

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHTCUSE7
    • WV

« Reply #68 on: November 13, 2008, 08:36:44 PM »

This once again sounds like a case of ego making sound business decisions. One of the things I have learned in business is that bigger glitz and glamor are not always the most profitable.

I agree.  Image pays, but some buyers are funny about how far you go with that.  Most folks like to deal with successful people, but one can flaunt too much, and turn some buyers off.  I'm not talking about Doctors and Lawyers, I'm talking about Ol' Redneck Country Boys.  I've seen it happen time and time again.  Once they see that, they're gone, and they're gone forever.  Most of those folks buy from my Dealership, and hook their Wagon to a "Star."  Western Star, that is.  ;) Many people have asked me why I don't drive an Escalade or a Navigator, as opposed to my Denali.  In my view, that would send the message I'm making too much money.  Some may argue that, but it's true in the business I'm in.  Truckers, and people in the Trucking Business in my area, are very clannish people.  A large portion of my Customer base ride Harleys.  They're always asking me why I don't buy a New SEUC, or SERG.  I tell 'em I can't afford it.  You can't tell me that a person that has bought $2,000,000.00 worth of Trucks from me, and rides an '04SEEG, and sees me ride up on a Brand New '09 SERG, doesn't wonder how much of that 2 Million went for my New Motorsickle.  That's the way I have operated for years, and ain't done too bad, all things considered, and that's the way I will continue to operate.  There endeth the lesson.  Later--HUBBARD       
2012 FLHTCUSE7  (Electric Orange/Black)  Built Motor (124), D&D "Borzilla" Exhaust, Tilley/K&N Air Induction,
"National President"-"Hillbilly Rocket Riders", MC, Mother Chapter, WV
"National President"-"W.H.O.R.E", TPT, WV Chapter

MUFFMAN

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 07 FLHTUSE2
    • CVO2: 09 FLTRSE3
« Reply #69 on: November 14, 2008, 05:02:48 AM »

Another little tidbit regarding glitz and glamour. I have been in business many years and through a lot of hard work and timely investments have done reasonably well.  We used to have our company Christmas party at a hall every year. ONE year I had it at my newly constructed house, not to show off but basically to thank some of my men who helped work on it after hours, weekends and such. Not a week went by after the party that at least 10 people came into my office and asked for a Very substancial raise citing if I can afford that house you can afford to pay me more. It's funny that all the guys that asked for the raise were not the ones who helped on the house.  THE MUFFMAN

Keats

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Do not be led astray

• CVO1: 2008 FLHTCUSE3
    • CVO2: 2003 FXSTDSEI
« Reply #70 on: November 14, 2008, 07:58:54 PM »

Thanks for the response Hubbard - I respect your beg to differ and I'm not a sir, but I appreciate the formality :)  First off, I am in complete agreement with your words and the lesson that can be learned from what happened to Santa Cruz.  I'm not sure if you're calling me out, or not, but I too happen to be a harley dealer also and have some knowledge of what is takes to be profitable these days, at least here in California.  I do not know your mark-up on parts.  Harley's margin on accessories and motorclothes is more along the lines of 35%.  When you're turning items twice a year, that will not substantially cover the overhead.  I agree, harley msrp allows for a fair profit margin and I believe premium pricing has no place at a harley dealership.  The reality is motorcycle sales accounts for approximately 65%+ of a dealer's revenues.  There are not many, if any, dealers in California who can quite selling motorcycles for a profit and remain profitable regardless of what your friend is able to do with his dealership.  I invite you to lose one-half of 65% of your revenues and see how well your bottom line looks. We happen to be in the top 10% in customer satisfaction per Harley-Davidson and take great pride in customer relationships, so please don't lecture me on service and the shop - again I agree!  That is primary to doing things the right way, but service, parts, accessories and motorclothes revenues cannot support the business in our wonderful area - period!
I have done some research regarding HD dealerships and What Harley56 is saying is completely consistant with what I have learned.
 HD dealerships do not follow the business models that most auto dealerships subscribe to. (the back end makes the money, not the front)
Their money is earned through Motorcycle sales. (the front end makes the money)
Clothes accessories and parts go along way to making profit, but the real issue is that Motorcycle sales pays the rent, overhead and payroll.
A drop in cycle sales impacts the dealer severely. Think about it 1 bike can bring in $4000.00 profit dollars and it would take over $11000.00 in acc (and more like $20000.00) to make the same profit dollars. look at the labor cost difference in the 2.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2008, 09:53:24 PM by FLHTCUSE3 »
Formally FLHTCUSE3
SoA #99.9            "Never say Die"
SEST,   open A/C , dyno tuned, D&D Fatcats 2 into 1 ceramic coated, new SE CNC Ported and coated Heads with 2.120 intake valve, SE camplate,
Jims SE Crank "Darkhorsed", Timkin conversion, Andrews 54H cams, Arnott Air shocks, intimidator front valves, HID headlights, LED turn signals, Moto Lights,  Zumo 550, SE compensator.

Fatboy

• 1K CVO Member
  • "Orange Crush" 94Hp / 119Tq
« Reply #71 on: November 14, 2008, 10:42:15 PM »

I agree.  Image pays, but some buyers are funny about how far you go with that.  Most folks like to deal with successful people, but one can flaunt too much, and turn some buyers off.  I'm not talking about Doctors and Lawyers, I'm talking about Ol' Redneck Country Boys.  I've seen it happen time and time again.  Once they see that, they're gone, and they're gone forever.  Most of those folks buy from my Dealership, and hook their Wagon to a "Star."  Western Star, that is.  ;) Many people have asked me why I don't drive an Escalade or a Navigator, as opposed to my Denali.  In my view, that would send the message I'm making too much money.  Some may argue that, but it's true in the business I'm in.  Truckers, and people in the Trucking Business in my area, are very clannish people.  A large portion of my Customer base ride Harleys.  They're always asking me why I don't buy a New SEUC, or SERG.  I tell 'em I can't afford it.  You can't tell me that a person that has bought $2,000,000.00 worth of Trucks from me, and rides an '04SEEG, and sees me ride up on a Brand New '09 SERG, doesn't wonder how much of that 2 Million went for my New Motorsickle.  That's the way I have operated for years, and ain't done too bad, all things considered, and that's the way I will continue to operate.  There endeth the lesson.  Later--HUBBARD       

Um 'er Carl,

Some us may recall you have one passion imparticular outside of trucks and motorsikles then can run up a mighty hefty tab in the blink of an eye.   ;)

No not "women" silly  ::)  I'm refering to the "double duece".  :2vrolijk_21:

Just checked the standing's.....congratulations looks like another year of growth and success.  :drink:

Fatboy

CVOJOE

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Life's a journey, why not enjoy the ride?
« Reply #72 on: November 18, 2008, 01:18:43 AM »

Try Faultline H-D in Fremont, CA...........unless it's coincidence that they have the same customer satisfaction ratings, etc. this is the one. If you want to study how to turn a dealership around, this is a classic case. They get it.

Joe
2003 FLHRSEI2. (Sold) :(

Horsepower is how fast you hit a wall.Torque is how far you will take the wall with you.

DCFIREMANN

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #73 on: November 18, 2008, 06:11:38 AM »

We have 6 dealers in my area.  I am sure two of them will have a hard time.  They have poor service depts, and un friendly staffs, and owners are never around.  We have two that will struggle but should make it.

Our newest dealer opend in late 2004.  I bet they make it.  Owner is very active in the dealership, there most the time.  He is also a rider, and an avid one at that.  He moves more bikes than any one in the state now.  He sells at or below MSRP.  All the the staff is very friendly.  Service dept is very good.

He also has a huge out door pavilon on site, with concerts, food and beer on week ends.  Beer is 2 a can.  Food is good an reasonable.  Concerts are free unless it is a big name band.  He keeps a small t-shirt, hat and such stand open on all friday and saturday night concerts until mid night.  These events get big with 2000 or more the norm for a Saturday night concert.

I was just there 2 months ago. GREAT DEALERSHIP!!!!!! One of the best I have ever visited.

Be Safe

THE DAWG
cvo 1  04 FLHTCSEI  Qrange/Black AKA Ole Punkin
cvo 2 05 VRSCXe Orange/Black sold
cvo 3 02 FXDWG2 Black/Gold 
cvo 4 04 FLHTCSE Blue/Black  sold
cvo 5 09 FLHTCUSE4 Red/Marron sold
cvo 6 12 FLHTCUSE Blue Saphire/Stardust Silver AKA Saphire
cvo 7 14 FLHTKSE  Blaze/Maroon
2020 CVO Limited

PROUD MEMBER EBCM #1.75 Second in command of this great organization

Also has been placed on
TRIPLE SECRET PROBATION

Cigarmike

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #74 on: November 18, 2008, 09:15:31 AM »

Try Faultline H-D in Fremont, CA...........unless it's coincidence that they have the same customer satisfaction ratings, etc. this is the one. If you want to study how to turn a dealership around, this is a classic case. They get it.

Joe

Detective Joe, good job! lol
You will get no more Respect than you are willing to give.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7  All

Page created in 0.239 seconds with 22 queries.