Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6  All

Author Topic: More sales trouble for Harley-Davidson  (Read 22340 times)

amigo Jorge

• LDR #00372
  • 5k CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: '20 FLHTCUTGSE Trike CVO
More sales trouble for Harley-Davidson
« on: June 10, 2009, 12:25:21 PM »

More sales trouble for Harley-DavidsonPosted Jun 09 2009, 04:23 PM by Kim Peterson Rating:  Filed under: Kim Peterson

Spring is the most important time of the year for Harley-Davidson (HOG). It sells about a third of its bikes in April, May and June, analysts say, as the weather warms up and bikers itch to hit the road.

After the horrible year Harley has had, I can only imagine the company was hopeful for a miracle this spring. That didn't happen. Analysts at UBS say retail sales at Harley plummeted 35% in April and May, according to Barron's.

And so Harley's problems continue. Americans still love their motorcycles, they just don't love brand new Harleys. Here are the problems the company faces now:

--The used motorcycle market does a brisk business.

--Harley buyers are getting older. Only 12% of buyers are under 35.

--Harley offered no-money-down financing to subprime buyers who either couldn't or wouldn't repay their loans. As a result, its financing arm is in trouble with delinquent loans and credit rating concerns.

--The company has cut back shipments to retailers in hopes of bringing down inventory. Harley also had to close plants, lay off employees and cut production this year.

And the share price? I thought it was in recovery, but the price has been sliding since the beginning of May. Last year at this time, shares were nearly $40. They plunged below $9 in March, bounced back above $20 in May, and these days are lingering in the $15 to $17 range.

Friday, Citigroup cut its rating on Harley to sell. Barron's thinks the stock may have topped out in May. 

Brinks

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 SEUC Silver/Blue
    • CVO2: 2008 SERK Annie
Re: More sales trouble for Harley-Davidson
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2009, 12:48:53 PM »

Interesting, all of the dealers I have spoke to in the Chicago area have reported better sales than last year, in fact, most of their floors have quite a bit a space for more bikes.  Maybe Kim Peterson rides a HONDA  :2vrolijk_08:

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2009, 01:31:57 PM »

Yeah, I don't get it.  My dealer says his sales are good.  So there is some disconnect or he is just putting up a good front not wanting us to know how bad things are.  Time will tell but the showrooms see less busy than in years past.

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2009, 02:24:40 PM »

I've only stopped in at three dealerships recently, but they all had more bikes sitting on the floor than I can remember in the past 15-20 years.  And don't forget, many of these dealers have bikes still sitting in crates in the warehouse, in addition to what you see on the floor.

There are no doubt some areas of the country where the well heeled haven't felt the effects of the recession and they continue to buy overpriced toys.  So it wouldn't surprise me to find some dealers doing pretty well, just like some auto dealers continue to do well.  But the overall industries, bike and auto, continue to be in the dumper.  Dealerships which have to rely on the average Joe are hurting, because even if Joe still has a job he may not feel like risking $20k-$30k until he knows he will still have that job next week.  And unlike the wealthy dudes, Joe probably needs financing and that is still a big problem.  Easy credit is dead, at least until this all blows over and everyone forgets how we arrived at the big recession in the first place.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

BillH

• Senior CVO Member
  • 2008 FLTRI
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2009, 03:03:10 PM »

Talked to my sales guy, who is also a friend, and he said their sales were off by 30% in April and May.  He has been their top salesman for years and now he is looking for a part time job. This is a large dealer in Austin.

Bill
2008 FLTRI - 103, S&S 570 cams, SE cam plate, Ness Big Sucker, Woods lifters, GMR adjustable pushrods, Lozano Brothers heads, HPI 54mm throttle body mod, Supertrapp 2:1, SE compensator, BDL +1 clutch TTS tuner w/GMR Dyno, Ricor fork valves, Progressive 440's, Wild 1 515's bars, HID's, TrueTrack, J&M 71/2" speakers, Clearview +2, lots of other small stuff.

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2009, 05:20:04 PM »

It's not looking to good here in Nor Cal, either.  The four dealerships around the Sacramento area all have motorcycles out the door and no traffic going in the door. :nixweiss:  It's not looking good.  And the lines at the parts counters are gone, too.
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

charlie

« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2009, 06:11:37 PM »

Around here harleys are selling as well, that reporter must be a honda rider.

skreminegul07

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • MA

• CVO1: 2017 Indian Chieftain Limited
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2009, 01:29:05 PM »

My daughter is in sales.  They had a May that was better than last May.  April was about the same.  They just got sent another unexpected allotment.
Any day on the bike is a good day.

JeffsHogPen

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2007 FXSTSSE
    • CVO2: 2001 FLHR
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2009, 12:22:49 PM »

I spoke to a Salesman at Cajun H D. He said sales were a little down but he had more cash buys than he had before. Everything is down. so we all just have to make it through this down turn and get by. I took a 12% paycut in March. I did not like it but I still have a job.
Hookem¨Horns!!!!!

Sierramadre

• Elite CVO Member
  • "Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2009, 07:59:37 PM »

Harley doesn't know how to retail their products in a down market.  They've had their way for the past decade without any real competition- basically selling every bike they could produce at full list price. Now the world has changed and Harley is still operating with the same old arrogance.  No owner loyalty program. No incentives for first time buyers.  No conquest program. No special financing. No discounts for repeat customers. Lousy customer service and inept salespeople.  Just the same old 'if we build it, they will come' mentality.  They better wake up soon or the game is going to be over.

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
  • Go fast or go home! EBCM member # 2.36 .01%
    • CVO2: 2011.5 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2009, 08:49:32 PM »

Harley doesn't know how to retail their products in a down marketHarley has a great marketing department. IT'S A DOWN MARKET. Harley is up there with Coke, Nike and Budwiser in knowing how to market. How many people you seen with Coke, Nike or Budwiser tattoed on their arm or chest?.  They've had their way for the past decade without any real competition-NO COMPETITION?????????? What is a goldwing, a venture, a voyager or any of the Beemers? How about the Shadows or the Vulcan's?  basically selling every bike they could produce at full list price. Now the world has changed and Harley is still operating with the same old arrogance.  No owner loyalty program. No incentives for first time buyers.  No conquest program. No special financing. No discounts for repeat customers. Lousy customer service and inept salespeople.  Just the same old 'if we build it, they will come' mentality.  They better wake up soon or the game is going to be over.

OK, after 106 years lets count the Motor Company dead.
They are a bunch of idiots that have been selling us crap for 106 years.

WAIT, in order to sell there has to be buyers.
If it's really that bad of a product then who is the real idiot?

The entire world is experiencing recession including Harley.
I'm even thinking of lowering the 01 SERG price to $72,500.00 for AJ.
We all must make sacrifices to get by.

JMHO

SBB

2012      SERG  "Nu Blue"
2018      Goldwing   
2003      HD Electra Glide Classic Silver and Black, of course!                
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans
2018      Shelby GT350, 963 crank hp, 825 rear wheel hp

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2009, 10:47:09 PM »

OK, after 106 years lets count the Motor Company dead.
They are a bunch of idiots that have been selling us crap for 106 years.

WAIT, in order to sell there has to be buyers.
If it's really that bad of a product then who is the real idiot?

The entire world is experiencing recession including Harley.
I'm even thinking of lowering the 01 SERG price to $72,500.00 for AJ.
We all must make sacrifices to get by.

JMHO

SBB
[/quote
 :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2: :drink:

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
    • CVO2: 2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
    • CVO3: 2003 Fatboy, 95"quot, S&ampS 570 gear drive cam
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2009, 09:36:48 AM »

Harley doesn't know how to retail their products in a down market.  They've had their way for the past decade without any real competition- basically selling every bike they could produce at full list price. Now the world has changed and Harley is still operating with the same old arrogance.  No owner loyalty program. No incentives for first time buyers.  No conquest program. No special financing. No discounts for repeat customers. Lousy customer service and inept salespeople.  Just the same old 'if we build it, they will come' mentality.  They better wake up soon or the game is going to be over.

I guess  you did not see the full MSRP for a 07 or new sportster on trade in for a new big twin?  They ran that from Dec until the end of March.  I thought it was great to get 500 more for my wifes 2007 883 Low than I paid for it new.  Not to mention the good chunck of money they took off the 2009 FLSTC Heritage I traded for it for the wife.  Seems to me that was showing lots of customer loyoatly, full MSRP for the trade, and below MSRP for the new 09.

I also got a very good deal on my 09 SERG, and 20% off all the accessories for it. 

Two of the sales men I know had record sales months in both March and April.  They were alloted 4 SERG for 09, but to date have sold six.

I do not think the problem is the MoCo.  I feel it is in how some of the dealers chose to do business.  I have four dealers (different owners) with in 75 miles of me.  The one I do business with is not hurting and is doing very well.  But they treated customers good even when business was great.  I am thinking one of the other dealers will fail this year or next, they are not doing well.  However they treated customers like crap when business was booming.
2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
2019 FLTRXSE Red Pepper / Magnetic Gray Traded
2018 FLTRXSE Gunship Gray  Traded
2017 FLHXSE  Starfire Black / Atomic Red  Traded
2015 FLTRUSE Abyss Blue / Crushed Saphire Traded
2013 FLHRSE5 Diamond Dust 117  Traded
2012 FLTRXSE White Gold Pearl / Starfire Black  Traded
2009 FLTRSE3 Silver/Titanium  Traded
2003 Fatboy, real fire paint set,

RedDevil

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #747.2 It's all good

• CVO1: '11 FLTRUSE Gray Ghost
    • CVO2: '12 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2009, 10:12:34 AM »

This is definitely a sign of the times.  I was recently down in Ft. Lauderdale for a conference and I spend one free morning I had running around to the local dealers.  Of the four dealers within 25 miles of my hotel, three were owned by Fat Bastard.  I don't know what he's still selling his SE's for at Destination Daytona, but he had two SERGs at every dealer down there and they were asking $32K for them.  Even the evil FB sees something?   :nixweiss:

:devil:

2012 FLHXSE3
Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock

Cvostu

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 Whiskey Neat road glide custom
    • CVO2: 2019 Mako Shark Fade road glide custom
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2009, 11:38:12 AM »

I think I remember that he was asking 9k over MSRP for the  CVO back in March at Bike Week. I did remind the sales guys that there is a recession going on. They just nodded their heads and replied "hey, I just work here." What's he thinking now I wonder.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2009, 11:59:43 PM by cvostu »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6  All

Page created in 0.36 seconds with 21 queries.