Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  All

Author Topic: Harley Davidson Moving Operations ?  (Read 18191 times)

harley56

• Full CVO Member
  • 2004 FLHTCSE
Re: Harley Davidson Moving Operations ?
« Reply #30 on: September 29, 2009, 09:33:59 PM »

If I'm reading between the lines that are coming out of our KY Capital I no way think that Harley is leaving York. I think this is just there way of busting the unions balls and getting all the tax breaks they want. Kentucky has a history for giving the farm away to get companies to come here and when they do that we all loose. Did Harley up the prices on CVO's from last year? I was told by one of the local dealerships here that no price increase over last year. Is that true.  :nixweiss:

I think this is correct.......
Two carryover CVO's from 2009:
  -  FXDSFE:  Priced stayed the same.
  -  FLHTCUSE4:  Price increased $500

All regular touring model base MSRP's remained the same and............
Some non-CVO models have decreased for 2010 - The FLSTC (-$1,000) and the FLSTN (-$650)and I believe at least one dyna model (FXDB Street Bob) is almost $800 less than it 2008 msrp.

NVTHIS

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2008 Fatboy, Copperhead Red
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 - Burnt Amber & Hot Citrus and Flames
« Reply #31 on: November 04, 2009, 11:21:30 PM »

The Nightly news just came on and the lead story was Harley Davidson. It was reported tonight that Harley narrowed it's search to Shelbyville, KY. only. They said a December vote would take place if the company and unions could not agree on a new contract. So if this happens it could be in my back yard. I really don't expect any move, I think it's another way to cut wages. But who knows maybe it's really going to come down to saving on shipping cost???
This site is like the Mafia, once you get in you can't get out.

MKW

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #32 on: November 05, 2009, 06:04:38 AM »

If there was a CVO website (or the web period) in the late 70's, early 80's these types of discussions would have taken place.  It is evolution, not revolution.  HD has new leadership, someone outside of the industry, to reshape the company and move it forward.  Many changes are coming and I for one look to the future with hopes that HD will get their footing and put in another 106 years!  Lets face it, Ronald Reagan isn't around anymore to help the company.
2010 CVO Street Glide
2014 CVO Limited

Harleyrider_49

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2004 FXSTDSE2
« Reply #33 on: November 07, 2009, 07:09:00 PM »

Have been wonder'n on this move also, according to a local news channel in my area (Tue., I think) HD Execs. had or were meeting with KY officials, and according to 1 source, the Shelbyville in question was definately KY.   Now,....maybe HD is yank'n PA.'s chain to come on w/some more state incentives, who knows, and if they ACT like they'r mov'n.....maybe they"ll get somewhere w/ PA.  just a thought

LarryB

• Tennessee Squire
  • 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 FLTRSE3 The Grey Ghost
« Reply #34 on: November 08, 2009, 08:09:22 AM »

That's the general thought and has been for some. HD asked TN " what are you going to do for me ?" but since TN has gotten burned by this before by auto makers they offered some minor tax breaks. KY offered some huge incentives, they might be better off if HD stays in PA. They can't afford to loose jobs there as much as jobs are needed elsewhere.
Take it Easy Greasy Cuz it's a long walk home.

Did I shave my head for this?

DCFIREMANN

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #35 on: November 19, 2009, 08:45:25 AM »

I heard through the rumor mill yesterday that the union is talking STRIKE!!! If that happens I think they may make the move to KY!

Just the thought of the cost to build and move a production facility like that is scary!

Be Safe

THE DAWG
cvo 1  04 FLHTCSEI  Qrange/Black AKA Ole Punkin
cvo 2 05 VRSCXe Orange/Black sold
cvo 3 02 FXDWG2 Black/Gold 
cvo 4 04 FLHTCSE Blue/Black  sold
cvo 5 09 FLHTCUSE4 Red/Marron sold
cvo 6 12 FLHTCUSE Blue Saphire/Stardust Silver AKA Saphire
cvo 7 14 FLHTKSE  Blaze/Maroon
2020 CVO Limited

PROUD MEMBER EBCM #1.75 Second in command of this great organization

Also has been placed on
TRIPLE SECRET PROBATION

RedDevil

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #747.2 It's all good

• CVO1: '11 FLTRUSE Gray Ghost
    • CVO2: '12 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
« Reply #36 on: November 19, 2009, 12:46:37 PM »

I heard through the rumor mill yesterday that the union is talking STRIKE!!! If that happens I think they may make the move to KY!

Just the thought of the cost to build and move a production facility like that is scary!

Be Safe

THE DAWG

Now there would be a smart move by the union.  Give the MoCo the excuse they need to move operations and open a non-union plant in Kentucky.  Ya gotta wonder what genius at the top of the union food chain came up with that brilliant decision.
 :confused5:

:devil:

2012 FLHXSE3
Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock

Boatman

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited
    • CVO2: 2010 SEUC-accident victim-gone
    • CVO3: 2005 SEEG-traded on 2010
« Reply #37 on: November 19, 2009, 01:28:02 PM »

Now there would be a smart move by the union.  Give the MoCo the excuse they need to move operations and open a non-union plant in Kentucky.  Ya gotta wonder what genius at the top of the union food chain came up with that brilliant decision.

Between attitudes like that and an antiquated York plant, I'd move too.

NVTHIS

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #38 on: November 19, 2009, 01:28:17 PM »

I can tell you guys that I live about 20 minutes from where the new plant will be build if it happens and it's on the news about everyday. The Governor just called for a special session to give Harley-Davidson more tax breaks and more of everything to get them to come. Harley would be some dumb SOB not to take what KY is offering. I think we are giving them the moon and the ride there. We want that plant and the 1,500 jobs that come with it. Come on HD we will welcome you with open arms. Sorry York but it's not the time to play hard ball with peoples jobs and how they put food on the table. Oh, the word around the dealership is they want to come and build a new plant because the state is going to help pay for it. I guess thats my tax dollars at work.

CVOStreetglide

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2015 CVO Street Glide
    • CVO2: 2012 CVO Street Glide (Sold)
    • CVO3: 2010 CVO Street Glide (Sold) CVO4: 2006 VRXSE DESTROYER (Sold)
« Reply #39 on: November 19, 2009, 02:25:43 PM »

I can tell you guys that I live about 20 minutes from where the new plant will be build if it happens and it's on the news about everyday. The Governor just called for a special session to give Harley-Davidson more tax breaks and more of everything to get them to come. Harley would be some dumb SOB not to take what KY is offering. I think we are giving them the moon and the ride there. We want that plant and the 1,500 jobs that come with it. Come on HD we will welcome you with open arms. Sorry York but it's not the time to play hard ball with peoples jobs and how they put food on the table. Oh, the word around the dealership is they want to come and build a new plant because the state is going to help pay for it. I guess thats my tax dollars at work.

I still can't understand why they continue to have so many assembly plants in a shrinking market.

Maybe if they do Kentucky right with state-of-the-art technology then only Kansas will be left over time.  I am still thinking that Milwaukee will be the museum for the Motor Company only.

Is your location close to a major railroad connection--east/west north/south???

NVTHIS

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #40 on: November 20, 2009, 02:27:50 PM »

I still can't understand why they continue to have so many assembly plants in a shrinking market.

Maybe if they do Kentucky right with state-of-the-art technology then only Kansas will be left over time.  I am still thinking that Milwaukee will be the museum for the Motor Company only.

Is your location close to a major railroad connection--east/west north/south???
You maybe on to something there. We do have major Hwy's and Railroad here. That has been a big selling point, location for delivery and fright.

moscooter

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #41 on: November 20, 2009, 03:01:26 PM »

::)
I'm seeing that at least some of you are zeroing in on one of the "key" issues...........The FuKK**g union.   Just like the reasons Detroit will (never) resurface as a viable site for Autos,  (reason being union demands that won't allow for competitiveness).

I cannot believe they (HD) will settle upon any site (tax breaks, etc.) unless they can be reasonably certain they won't have to deal with union contract B.S. :cherry:

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
    • CVO2: 2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
    • CVO3: 2003 Fatboy, 95"quot, S&ampS 570 gear drive cam
« Reply #42 on: November 21, 2009, 12:10:32 PM »

Union leadership is out for the union executives, not the blue collar guy or gal they represent.

Between attitudes like that and an antiquated York plant, I'd move too.
Yep.

There is a reason all new auto plants have been built in the South like KY,TN, AL and so on.  Right to work states.  They still pay a very good wage, with good benifits. 
2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
2019 FLTRXSE Red Pepper / Magnetic Gray Traded
2018 FLTRXSE Gunship Gray  Traded
2017 FLHXSE  Starfire Black / Atomic Red  Traded
2015 FLTRUSE Abyss Blue / Crushed Saphire Traded
2013 FLHRSE5 Diamond Dust 117  Traded
2012 FLTRXSE White Gold Pearl / Starfire Black  Traded
2009 FLTRSE3 Silver/Titanium  Traded
2003 Fatboy, real fire paint set,

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #43 on: November 21, 2009, 04:31:30 PM »

Union leadership is out for the union executives, not the blue collar guy or gal they represent.
Yep.

There is a reason all new auto plants have been built in the South like KY,TN, AL and so on.  Right to work states.  They still pay a very good wage, with good benifits. 
Sad to say but I think you've hit the nail on the head there. :(

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
« Reply #44 on: November 23, 2009, 03:18:48 PM »

I don't know when the workers actually work.  I've been to York at least three times and all the other plants once.  I came a day early to the Pony Express ride in Saint Joseph, MO, in Sept so I could tour the KC plant on the way.  I have never ever actually seen a production line run.  There must be elves putting the bikes together at night or something.  Workers have either been on lunch break, in a plant wide meeting, doing model year changeover, etc., etc.  No joke, never seen production line running.  I'm through doing plant tours - well maybe if they do move to KY since it is so close I might give 'em just one more chance.  :nixweiss:

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  All

Page created in 0.255 seconds with 20 queries.