Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  All

Author Topic: Harley Davidson Moving Operations ?  (Read 18268 times)

Gone Fishin'

• The Director
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2016 FLHTKSE Limited®, Black Sparkle and 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Ultra Classic®, Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate, # 110 of 992
    • CVO2: 2007 FLHRSE3 Screamin' Eagle® Road King®, Black Ice, 1 of 1325
    • CVO3: 2001 FXDWG2, Scarlet Red and 2000 FXR4, Candy Tangerine, 1 of 316
Re: Harley Davidson Moving Operations ?
« Reply #45 on: November 23, 2009, 04:55:21 PM »

I was at York with the CVO tour. Softail factory was very busy with the assembly line moving swiftly. Touring factory was on hold because of production reduction. CVO assembly (they still had that) was very active. 2 out of 3 = not bad.

Ride safely,
Louis

I don't know when the workers actually work.  I've been to York at least three times and all the other plants once.  I came a day early to the Pony Express ride in Saint Joseph, MO, in Sept so I could tour the KC plant on the way.  I have never ever actually seen a production line run.  There must be elves putting the bikes together at night or something.  Workers have either been on lunch break, in a plant wide meeting, doing model year changeover, etc., etc.  No joke, never seen production line running.  I'm through doing plant tours - well maybe if they do move to KY since it is so close I might give 'em just one more chance.  :nixweiss:

1914 10E, Grey
1956 FLH Custom, Candy Orange
1988 FXRS Custom, "S.O.A."
2000 FLSTF Custom Fat Boy, "Jumpin' Jack Flash"
2000 FXSTS Custom Springer Softail, Grey
2000 FXR4, Candy Tangerine
2001 FXDWG2, Scarlet Red
2005 FLHTCSE2, -9/07
2007 FLHRSE3, Black Ice
2008 FLHTCUSE3, -7/08
2009 FLHTCUSE4, -4/10
2010 FLHTCUSE5-BLK, Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate
2012 VRSCDX ANV, Brilliant Silver Pearl
2016 FLHTKSE, Black Sparkle
2016 XL1200CX Roadster, Vivid Black
2018 FLFBS ANV
CVO 1480 IBA 26678

HogBreath

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2009 cvo roadglide
    • CVO2: 2014 CVO StreetKing
« Reply #46 on: November 23, 2009, 05:00:04 PM »

Union leadership is out for the union executives, not the blue collar guy or gal they represent.
Yep.

There is a reason all new auto plants have been built in the South like KY,TN, AL and so on.  Right to work states.  They still pay a very good wage, with good benifits. 

Ky doesn't have the right to work laws. Ky is a union state. Maybe not as strong as say Illinois..
It's not the destination. It's the Journey.

tazmun

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 06 FLHTCUSE (sold)
    • CVO2: 19 FLHXS All Black
« Reply #47 on: November 23, 2009, 06:58:33 PM »

I was at York with the CVO tour. Softail factory was very busy with the assembly line moving swiftly. Touring factory was on hold because of production reduction. CVO assembly (they still had that) was very active. 2 out of 3 = not bad.
Ride safely,
Louis

Louis,
So when did you tour the plant?  When I was there, the line moved at a very SLOW pace!
The "TAZMUN"

moscooter

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #48 on: November 23, 2009, 08:10:52 PM »

::)
"Ky doesn't have the right to work laws. Ky is a union state. Maybe not as strong as say Illinois.."

IMO.....It would be insane for HD to relocate to Ky if they gotta deal with the union again.  WTF. :confused5:

djkak

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #49 on: November 23, 2009, 10:22:32 PM »

"Ky doesn't have the right to work laws. Ky is a union state. Maybe not as strong as say Illinois.."

IMO.....It would be insane for HD to relocate to Ky if they gotta deal with the union again.  WTF. :confused5:

I wonder if the evolution of work rules and entitlements over the many decades that this plant has been around has resulted in a somewhat dysfunctional environment. Starting over may be an option that would return long term value.  :nixweiss:

AZ SESG

• '17 SESG Sunburst Orange/Starfire Black -- '02 SERK Candy/Brandywine *Gone but not forgotten*
  • Elite CVO Member
  • Formerly AZ SERK

• CVO1: '02 FLHRSEI / Sold
    • CVO2: '17 FLHXSE
« Reply #50 on: November 29, 2009, 02:03:56 PM »

Union negotiations favor the company when it is a new enterprise in a new state. Where there is no precedent, the terms will support compensation based on employee performance, time sensitive production, higher quality standards, limited bias, etc.

Many have posted their discontent toward the vile union. But, their displeasure is misplaced. The union can only gain strength at a rate allowed by the company. Poor or weak company management allows, sometimes promotes, a strong biased union. Once this precedent is set it is difficult, if not impossible, to regress.

Members of the Detroit area UAW have, for many years, referred to one particular manufacturer as, “Generous Motors.”  This is the result of feeble company management. Whether you lose focus during the, “fat,” years due to total annual sales, manufacturer ratings, profit margins, bonus incentives, etc; the result of this lost focus shown brightly as companies surrendered their bargaining position to sustain the status quo.

There has never been an occasion where a dynamic, focused, company management -team surrendered to the union.

Side note:
  Union leaders are often hand-picked by the companies; then solicited to the union membership by union leadership to insure election. This is relative to the question of sound company management: Many leaders of large companies consort with union leaders from day one. Large companies continue to make this vital error, failing to realize bargaining leverage is lost once you become bed partners with those whom you employ.

My $.02
Life is: Choices. Choose wisely.
"Ability + Commitment - Doubt = Reality"
IBA #42159

NVTHIS

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2008 Fatboy, Copperhead Red
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 - Burnt Amber & Hot Citrus and Flames
« Reply #51 on: December 03, 2009, 02:29:05 AM »

The Union members voted yesterday to take the pay cuts and also cut in job. The York plant will stay right where it is. We (Kentucky) will have to give all the tax money to someone else.
This site is like the Mafia, once you get in you can't get out.

Gone Fishin'

• The Director
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2016 FLHTKSE Limited®, Black Sparkle and 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Ultra Classic®, Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate, # 110 of 992
    • CVO2: 2007 FLHRSE3 Screamin' Eagle® Road King®, Black Ice, 1 of 1325
    • CVO3: 2001 FXDWG2, Scarlet Red and 2000 FXR4, Candy Tangerine, 1 of 316
« Reply #52 on: December 03, 2009, 05:51:01 AM »

I rest my case.

Ride safely,
Louis

(...)
I personally believe (at least for now) that the Moco has no plans to move the factory away from York. I think the high degree of publicity (how many times have we read about this in the last six to eight weeks?) speaks for a strong case of signaling. What they are probably trying to do is to make the people in York believe, that a move is in the works, while they barter for concession from unions, local authorities and the likes.

Just an analysis. I may be wrong.

1914 10E, Grey
1956 FLH Custom, Candy Orange
1988 FXRS Custom, "S.O.A."
2000 FLSTF Custom Fat Boy, "Jumpin' Jack Flash"
2000 FXSTS Custom Springer Softail, Grey
2000 FXR4, Candy Tangerine
2001 FXDWG2, Scarlet Red
2005 FLHTCSE2, -9/07
2007 FLHRSE3, Black Ice
2008 FLHTCUSE3, -7/08
2009 FLHTCUSE4, -4/10
2010 FLHTCUSE5-BLK, Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate
2012 VRSCDX ANV, Brilliant Silver Pearl
2016 FLHTKSE, Black Sparkle
2016 XL1200CX Roadster, Vivid Black
2018 FLFBS ANV
CVO 1480 IBA 26678

09S/E roadglide

• 1K CVO Member
  • lead, follow or get out of the way !

• CVO1: 09 S/E roadglide org. and black
« Reply #53 on: December 03, 2009, 07:58:51 AM »

Union negotiations favor the company when it is a new enterprise in a new state. Where there is no precedent, the terms will support compensation based on employee performance, time sensitive production, higher quality standards, limited bias, etc.

Many have posted their discontent toward the vile union. But, their displeasure is misplaced. The union can only gain strength at a rate allowed by the company. Poor or weak company management allows, sometimes promotes, a strong biased union. Once this precedent is set it is difficult, if not impossible, to regress.

Members of the Detroit area UAW have, for many years, referred to one particular manufacturer as, “Generous Motors.”  This is the result of feeble company management. Whether you lose focus during the, “fat,” years due to total annual sales, manufacturer ratings, profit margins, bonus incentives, etc; the result of this lost focus shown brightly as companies surrendered their bargaining position to sustain the status quo.

There has never been an occasion where a dynamic, focused, company management -team surrendered to the union.

Never been an occasion ???  Maybe you should look into Eastern Airlines. My whole family works or worked for GM. You think that GM gave all that to employees cause of weak management !! Im sure there was no union pressure  :huepfenlol2: Please.....there is NO place for unions in the current environment   :soapbox:

Side note:
  Union leaders are often hand-picked by the companies; then solicited to the union membership by union leadership to insure election. This is relative to the question of sound company management: Many leaders of large companies consort with union leaders from day one. Large companies continue to make this vital error, failing to realize bargaining leverage is lost once you become bed partners with those whom you employ.

My $.02

a.k.a  Dent Dude

NVTHIS

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2008 Fatboy, Copperhead Red
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 - Burnt Amber & Hot Citrus and Flames
« Reply #54 on: December 03, 2009, 10:40:46 AM »

I rest my case.

Ride safely,
Louis

Louis, you called it.
This site is like the Mafia, once you get in you can't get out.

moscooter

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #55 on: December 03, 2009, 11:27:27 AM »

:2vrolijk_21:
I agree,  you called it (this time).  I have to believe recent and still current economic conditions and the degree of unemployment across the country contributed greatly to the union members accepting the reality of the situation.

Most of the time,  unions won't back off and take the company down the tubes.   It happened recently in the steel industry in Georgetown, S.C.,  it happened in the meat packing industry in Omaha and Chicago when I was a kid,  we've seen the fallout in Detroit........on and on.

At least,  most of these guys/gals will still have a job versus standing in the unemployment lines and moaning about how they got screwed by the company....... :P

CVOStreetglide

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2015 CVO Street Glide
    • CVO2: 2012 CVO Street Glide (Sold)
    • CVO3: 2010 CVO Street Glide (Sold) CVO4: 2006 VRXSE DESTROYER (Sold)
« Reply #56 on: December 03, 2009, 11:57:23 AM »

Side note:

My $.02

Well you may not have been around when "The Union" put Eastern Airlines out of business. They union guys did it just to make a point regarding who had the most power--Eastern or he Union. Like the old saying goes...."Now how's that working for you" ...today???

Regards

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

AZ SESG

• '17 SESG Sunburst Orange/Starfire Black -- '02 SERK Candy/Brandywine *Gone but not forgotten*
  • Elite CVO Member
  • Formerly AZ SERK

• CVO1: '02 FLHRSEI / Sold
    • CVO2: '17 FLHXSE
« Reply #58 on: December 03, 2009, 10:43:42 PM »

I should have been more clear on the point regarding strong management teams and surrender.

Companies with strong management teams who refuse to give away the farm but, do not react quick enough, (hiring replacement workers - restructuring - using the opportunity to establish a non-union shop), to salvage their business, have not surrendered. They may have gone down but, they put up a fight. They did not cave-in, granting every concession to the union, placing themselves in a financial snare which would soon require them to rob Peter and write Paul a bad check. Strong, experienced management teams do not surrender.

Life is: Choices. Choose wisely.
"Ability + Commitment - Doubt = Reality"
IBA #42159

CBW

• 1K CVO Member
  • HOG,AMA,ABATE
    • PA

• CVO1: 2010 FLHTCUSE5
    • CVO2: 2009 FXDFSE
    • CVO3: 1984 FXE,1964 FLH
« Reply #59 on: December 03, 2009, 11:08:42 PM »

hd just announced that they are staying in york
« Last Edit: December 03, 2009, 11:32:04 PM by Longtimehdrider »
RIDE SAFE and Never RIDE faster than your guardian angel can fly.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  All

Page created in 0.206 seconds with 25 queries.