Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8  All

Author Topic: National helmet law proposed  (Read 17381 times)

Screamin

• 5k CVO Member
  • Number 641

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2 Cherry
    • CVO2: 2019 Road Glide Ultra
National helmet law proposed
« on: April 18, 2010, 10:26:34 AM »

One of the biggest antagonists in Congress is at it again.

http://www.mrf.org/2010/news_release/10NR08.htm

Ultra2010

Re: National helmet law proposed
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2010, 10:50:50 AM »

fuker.. why don't he just crawl off and retire. He's a pro choice supporter.... maybe his neighborhood would be a good place to have a pro choice, freedom of choice helmet rally.

skreminegul07

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • MA

• CVO1: 2017 Indian Chieftain Limited
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2010, 11:10:25 AM »

fuker.. why don't he just crawl off and retire. He's a pro choice supporter.... maybe his neighborhood would be a good place to have a pro choice, freedom of choice helmet rally.

I got into a discussion with an ER nurse on a plane. She saw my Harley shirt and then talked about the perils of not wearing a helmet.  I asked if she was pro choice which she answered Yes.  Then I asked her how is it alright for you to decide to kill a baby, but I can't choose if I wear a helmet?  Ended the discussion. 
Any day on the bike is a good day.

scotr

• Scotr
  • Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 Street Glide CVO Spiced Rum
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2010, 12:17:05 PM »

another do gooder. thats just great.

Scotr
Life Is Good!
The Scotr,
Fullsac performance x pipe
Andrews 54 cams
Vance & Hines Basic slip ons
Hogtunes and upgraded speakers
XM listening pleasures
Screamin Eagle chrome shifter
Eagle Talon kickstand
Kuryakin 9182 license frame

skreminegul07

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • MA

• CVO1: 2017 Indian Chieftain Limited
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2010, 01:33:21 PM »

another do gooder. thats just great.

Scotr

Not do as I do, but do as I say you should do
Any day on the bike is a good day.

Ultra2010

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2010, 11:08:27 AM »

I got into a discussion with an ER nurse on a plane. She saw my Harley shirt and then talked about the perils of not wearing a helmet.  I asked if she was pro choice which she answered Yes.  Then I asked her how is it alright for you to decide to kill a baby, but I can't choose if I wear a helmet?  Ended the discussion. 

:drink:

Gets them every time!!!!  good job!

Fireguy

• 1K CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2009 CVO Road glide. Traded
    • CVO2: 2014 CVO Limited Sold
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2010, 01:43:12 PM »

Believe it when I say, I HATE it when the government tells us what we can and can not do. And I do believe in "accountability" :soapbox:. The problem with helmet laws are they're two fold. One it should be my choice to wear a helmet or not. :2vrolijk_21: But two, as we all know people do have accidents and have major injuries.(head injuries the most)  The problem for me is the riders that don't have insurance  :nixweiss: and get into accidents, still get medical treatment, that you and I pay for. >:( I guess when it comes down to it, if you wear a helmet or not, it's your choice to carry insurance , but if you don't, and get hurt, you should pay for your injuries. It should not be my responsibility to pay for some idiot that won't carry there own. So be accountable for your own actions so the government does not have to decide for you.               

marshall10

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 FLHX
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2010, 02:00:24 PM »

Believe it when I say, I HATE it when the government tells us what we can and can not do. And I do believe in "accountability" :soapbox:. The problem with helmet laws are they're two fold. One it should be my choice to wear a helmet or not. :2vrolijk_21: But two, as we all know people do have accidents and have major injuries.(head injuries the most)  The problem for me is the riders that don't have insurance  :nixweiss: and get into accidents, still get medical treatment, that you and I pay for. >:( I guess when it comes down to it, if you wear a helmet or not, it's your choice to carry insurance , but if you don't, and get hurt, you should pay for your injuries. It should not be my responsibility to pay for some idiot that won't carry there own. So be accountable for your own actions so the government does not have to decide for you.               
I agree completely. If you want to go without a helmet (and I believe that is your choice) then you should have to carry a special insurance to do so. That being said; the moment you are required to carry special insurance is when the government will be too far up our asses. The logical choice is: carry insurance or be an organ donor, that way if you don't pay then you benefit society, albeit in a macabre way.
Anyone can piss on the floor, but Chuck Norris can crap on the ceiling.

scotr

• Scotr
  • Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 Street Glide CVO Spiced Rum
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2010, 07:14:59 PM »

Not do as I do, but do as I say you should do

Exactly what i meant to say
Life Is Good!
The Scotr,
Fullsac performance x pipe
Andrews 54 cams
Vance & Hines Basic slip ons
Hogtunes and upgraded speakers
XM listening pleasures
Screamin Eagle chrome shifter
Eagle Talon kickstand
Kuryakin 9182 license frame

CVORick

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 FLHTCUSE4
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2010, 08:33:41 PM »

Whoa!!  Scared me for a moment, I thought this thread was about condoms.  Nevermind...... :oops:
TTS Mastertune - Doc's Performance Tuning
Supertrapp 2:1 Supermeg
HD Bluetooth BOMM
Zumo 590LM with TPMS
Motolights with LEDs'
Progressive 440HD Shocks & Monotube Fork cartridges
LED Headlight & Driving Lights from HD

RedDevil

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #747.2 It's all good

• CVO1: '11 FLTRUSE Gray Ghost
    • CVO2: '12 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2010, 09:38:40 PM »

This is an age old issue...believe it or not, it will be like seat belts...we all p*ssed and moaned when we were forced to wear seat belts, now we don't even think about it anymore.  It'd be the same with helmets.  Personally, it wouldn't affect me one bit, as my choice is to always ride with a helmet on, regardless of the state law....

:devil:

2012 FLHXSE3
Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock

2harleys

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE5 Burnt Amber/Hot Citrus
    • CVO2: FLSTFSE2 Wife's bike
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2010, 10:12:17 PM »

The more rights we give away  -------  the more they will continue to take away!!!!!!!!!!!!!

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2010, 10:18:18 PM »

This is an age old issue...believe it or not, it will be like seat belts...we all p*ssed and moaned when we were forced to wear seat belts, now we don't even think about it anymore.  It'd be the same with helmets.  Personally, it wouldn't affect me one bit, as my choice is to always ride with a helmet on, regardless of the state law....

:devil:

:2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21:

I remember debating helmet laws along with seat belt laws and various other laws meant to protect us from ourselves back in my youth.  With the young person's typical total disregard for the possibility of death or disability, it is very easy to be anti anything that prohibits one from doing whatever they want.  With experience and maturity, that tends to change.  I've been a full time helmet wearer most of my adult life, first because it was the law in Virginia, then when I moved to a state that didn't require them I continued to wear a helmet because I had come to appreciate the many benefits.  Of course, I don't ride just to look cool or pretend to be an outlaw to impress other folks, so maybe that's why the possibility of a helmet law doesn't upset me.

I've proposed this before, so here's an abridged version.  If a person decides they don't want to use mandated safety equipment, let's just add a waiver to the law that says all you have to do is post a bond of sufficient size to cover around the clock care for the rest of your life, and provide for your family, if you manage to bang your head on a curb and become a drooling imbecile.  That way the rest of society doesn't have to foot the bills for your "freedom".  I'm not sure how much all that would cost these days, and of course it would have to be tailored for each individual depending on current age, life expectancy, number of dependents, etc., but I'm guessing a minimum of 7 figures.  And sorry, but we don't take credit cards, that will be cash or hard assets only.

Face it folks, in a supposedly civilized society there will always be rules to protect us from each other, and rules to protect us from our own stupidity if that stupidity can cause injury (physical or financial) to others.  If you want to kill yourself, and you can manage to do it without harming anyone else, I'll support your right to do so.  But don't ask me to pay if you botch the job.  Freedom isn't free.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

TIF2

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2019 FLTRXSE
    • CVO2: 2011 FLHXSE2 - SOLD
    • CVO3: 2006 FLSTFSE2 - SOLD
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2010, 05:51:18 AM »

:2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21:

I've proposed this before, so here's an abridged version.  If a person decides they don't want to use mandated safety equipment, let's just add a waiver to the law that says all you have to do is post a bond of sufficient size to cover around the clock care for the rest of your life, and provide for your family, if you manage to bang your head on a curb and become a drooling imbecile.  That way the rest of society doesn't have to foot the bills for your "freedom". 

Jerry

Sorry - but that proposal is wrong on so many levels it is not even worth debating. I have never seen any data that proves people who do not wear helmets impact others financially. I am curious if you have ever, for any reason whatsoever, turned in an insurance claim and been paid by an insurance company in your entire life. If you have, then you have "caused financial harm" to others by making insurance rates go up. You see, insurance companies do not raise rates just on just individuals that turn in claims, they raise the base rates for ALL who have insurance. Since I have had insurance for almost 40 years and have NEVER turned in a single claim for payment,  I want anyone who has filed a claim and been paid to pay me because my rates increased through no fault of my own.

The assertion that people who do not wear helmets place a financial burden on society just simply is not supportable. Most statistics that are collected are only collected for people who do not have a helmet on. In other words, there is no data collected that shows whether or not there is a "financial burden" created for people who DO wear helmets. So let me make sure I understand. You wear a helmet, you have or do not have insurance (it makes no difference - people will bear the brunt financially), have an accident and require "round the clock care", but I should be all smiles now to happily pay increased rates (whether medical or auto/motorcycle)?

It just simply makes no difference whether or not a person is wearing a helmet for the financial burden placed on others through increased costs. Actually, odds are that folks who do NOT wear helmets cause the least burden as they will more than likely be deceased from any accident that "may have been survivable" had they been wearing a helmet. Those who survivie the same accident cause much more of a financial impact to others than those that do not.

I completely agree that "freedom isn't free", however, keep in mind that the saying is meant to show the cost of defending and protecting one's rights - NOT that freedom has a price tag to be bought by only the affluent. Opinions simply do not come into play where Rights are concerned, and the majority NEVER rules.

Time to step down now ... :)
TIF2
I've never learned a single thing while I was talking - Will Rogers

Mikey

• 2003 Harley Davidson FLHRSE12 Screamin' Eagle Road King
  • Senior CVO Member
  • Get the gold, make the rules!

• CVO1: FLHRSEi2 2003
    • CVO2: FLTRUSE 2015
    • Classic Muscle Bikes
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2010, 06:39:06 AM »

I thought the only difference in wearing a helmet versus not wearing a helmet. Is open casket versus closed casket. If you chose cremation why care!
GET THE GOLD, MAKE THE RULES!
2003 Harley Davidson FLHRSE12 Screamin' Eagle Road King
Limited Edition 100th Anniversary
http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/gallery/452_21_04_11_11_12_33.jpg
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8  All

Page created in 0.188 seconds with 21 queries.