Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8  All

Author Topic: Sale restrictions for NON US Customers starting this year  (Read 25631 times)

Spiderman

• aka Spiderman "guest"
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2003 FLHRSEI2
    • CVO2: 2007 FLTR (faux CVO)
Re: Sale restrictions for NON US Customers starting this year
« Reply #30 on: January 19, 2011, 08:13:42 PM »

Under the dealership agreements the dealerships likely aren't licensed for non-retail P&A sales.  So that's the MoCo's polite way of telling the dealerships they can't make those sales.  And you're absolutely right about the export prohibition Marty.  Just because it doesn't bite us in the ass doesn't mean you're not effected. 

Still though; screw it.  Make up your parts lists and send them to me. 

All I see is serious chit from you lately. Did you break your funnybone ? I used look for your posts just for the fun of it. Where's the old Don ? Did he fall into a chat pile or what ?

B B

martys

• 5k CVO Member
    • ON

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red SE Road Glide
« Reply #31 on: January 19, 2011, 08:14:54 PM »

Under the dealership agreements the dealerships likely aren't licensed for non-retail P&A sales.  So that's the MoCo's polite way of telling the dealerships they can't make those sales.  And you're absolutely right about the export prohibition Marty.  Just because it doesn't bite us in the ass doesn't mean you're not effected. 

Still though; screw it.  Make up your parts lists and send them to me. 

After Aug. 1st I may just take you up on that offer  :2vrolijk_21:  In fact that might become a new thread on the site to assist the non US members  :drink:
Here in Canada we have four seasons Spring, Summer, Fall, and New Chrome

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #32 on: January 19, 2011, 08:16:04 PM »

All I see is serious chit from you lately. Did you break your funnybone ? I used look for your posts just for the fun of it. Where's the old Don ? Did he fall into a chat pile or what ?

B B

You must not be reading everything.  Hell, Neal moderated one of my posts last night just because I told someone "bite me."  :huepfenlol2:

Spiderman

• aka Spiderman "guest"
  • 1K CVO Member

« Reply #33 on: January 19, 2011, 08:16:44 PM »

After Aug. 1st I may just take you up on that offer  :2vrolijk_21:  In fact that might become a new thread on the site to assist the non US members  :drink:

That being the case, avoid the USPS like the plague. The bastards quote you one price then charge you double when it's time to actually ship.

B B

martys

• 5k CVO Member
    • ON

« Reply #34 on: January 19, 2011, 08:19:26 PM »

That being the case, avoid the USPS like the plague. The bastards quote you one price then charge you double when it's time to actually ship.

B B
Don't they advertise that if it fits in "the box" it's only 4 Bucks  :nixweiss:

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #35 on: January 19, 2011, 08:19:34 PM »

B B

Don't know about their bait and switch.  Probably avoid as I do almost all freight online.  But USPS is damned expensive for int'l freight now compared to what they were just two or three years ago.  Postal service used to be a bargain for int'l freight.  Now you've got to bend over for them as much or more than anyone else.

Spiderman

• aka Spiderman "guest"
  • 1K CVO Member

« Reply #36 on: January 19, 2011, 08:24:16 PM »

Don't they advertise that if it fits in "the box" it's only 4 Bucks  :nixweiss:

That's for domestic and it depends on the size box. They've got a bunch of sizes. International they charge you by weight even on those "if it fits it ships" boxes. As to Twolane's post. I went to the post office, gave the the size, weight and destination of a box I wanted to ship so I could quote somebody the shipping cost. The Postal Worker gave me a quote, even jotted it on a piece of paper for me. Once I got the go-ahead from the buyer I took the box to the post office and all of a sudden I get this flim flam about it having to go by air and blah blah blah. Not none of this is the buyer's fault and I did not nor would I ever expect that individual to even feel bad about it. Caveat Emptor works in reverse too sometimes, I'm just off on a rant about the fricken USPS is all. And oh yeah, I think their rates go up about one a week too.

B B

martys

• 5k CVO Member
    • ON

« Reply #37 on: January 19, 2011, 08:58:50 PM »

That's for domestic and it depends on the size box. They've got a bunch of sizes. International they charge you by weight even on those "if it fits it ships" boxes. As to Twolane's post. I went to the post office, gave the the size, weight and destination of a box I wanted to ship so I could quote somebody the shipping cost. The Postal Worker gave me a quote, even jotted it on a piece of paper for me. Once I got the go-ahead from the buyer I took the box to the post office and all of a sudden I get this flim flam about it having to go by air and blah blah blah. Not none of this is the buyer's fault and I did not nor would I ever expect that individual to even feel bad about it. Caveat Emptor works in reverse too sometimes, I'm just off on a rant about the fricken USPS is all. And oh yeah, I think their rates go up about one a week too.

B B
We have the same problems with Canada Post but I can't complain too much, because they are my employer and they "frown " on that  ;) if we slam them  :nixweiss:

kraut

• 1K CVO Member
  • Ride & Have Fun

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE4
    • Harley Café Dresden
« Reply #38 on: January 20, 2011, 05:22:35 AM »

To say I don't know what I'm talking about is a bit harsh. Perhaps I've got the exact numbers off and in some cases (as noted by you) off by a good margin. My point is that by your own admission there are tarriffs and I'll wager those tariffs are different for different products. I would expect that a product that was not available via a in country Mfg would not have as great a tarriff as one that was and so on. My point here was not to argue the exact numbers but to point out that we as US citizens buying a product made in our own country of course are going to pay less. Try to see the whole picture vice getting hung up in the exactitude of the verbiage.

B B

Sorry BB,

it's not harsh but back to topic. To give you an other example: motorcycle and P&A prices in GB presently are around 80% of those in Germany, shipping costs, taxes and customs are just exactly the same.

There is no fair trade problem between US and EC (except sometimes for spaghettis or bananas), those differences are caused by H-Ds very own different pricing for different countries. The continental European dealers are upset about it for several years (ever since the $ went down and their customers got used to buy first in the US and lately in GB).

Look at the huge profit H-D makes out of its still comparatively small international sales and you will se the reason is definitely not shipping costs nor taxes or customs.
CU on the road, Hans

Ride & Have Fun

Grizzly

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • ON

• CVO1: '05 Jalapeno 1 of 692 sold
    • CVO2: '08 Duracell #601 of 1,800
« Reply #39 on: January 20, 2011, 08:20:47 AM »

I may be wrong, but I believe everywhere outside of the U.S. the MoCo has an importer in place (such as Deeley in Canada) that everything Harley goes through prior to arriving at the dealer's door.

I would suggest that these importers hedge themselves against currency fluctuations and therefore it is the importers who are making the money and not necessarily the MoCo itself.

Due to the now very large discrepancy in pricing (at least between CND and US pricing) with the CND$ being worth more than the US$, many Canadians are looking south of the border to purchase P&A as well as the bikes themselves and saving thousands of $'s... I would expect this is also why people from around the world are also ordering direct from US sources.

To protect those importers around the world (and their business), the MoCo has changed the rules with US dealers to avoid and discourage this practice.

Just my $.02 worth - which is currently worth approx. $.0203US
ALL 10 Provinces & ALL Lower 48 States ridden on "MY" bike

NW Territories and Alaska, here I come!

dayne66

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • BC

• CVO1: '12 Ruby/Typhoon SG
    • CVO2: '15 Superior Blue FLD Switchback
« Reply #40 on: January 20, 2011, 10:52:11 AM »

I may be wrong, but I believe everywhere outside of the U.S. the MoCo has an importer in place (such as Deeley in Canada) that everything Harley goes through prior to arriving at the dealer's door.

I would suggest that these importers hedge themselves against currency fluctuations and therefore it is the importers who are making the money and not necessarily the MoCo itself.

Due to the now very large discrepancy in pricing (at least between CND and US pricing) with the CND$ being worth more than the US$, many Canadians are looking south of the border to purchase P&A as well as the bikes themselves and saving thousands of $'s... I would expect this is also why people from around the world are also ordering direct from US sources.

To protect those importers around the world (and their business), the MoCo has changed the rules with US dealers to avoid and discourage this practice.

Deeley has high prices to protect their gross profit margins. It's Deeley that should take the lead in making a HD branded KY jelly....I might feel better leaving Steve Drane's if they used some!
More and more people from my neck of the woods are heading state-side for parts and installation....and also looking at the aftermarket more .....so Deeley loses out !!
« Last Edit: January 20, 2011, 10:54:14 AM by dayne66 »
"The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." Socrates

murphy

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #41 on: January 20, 2011, 11:03:43 AM »

You're right to a degree, but it's not just Deeley loosing out, it's HD as a whole... there are some folks who are tired of examples like this, and like me their current HD will be their last.

Gank

• Senior CVO Member
  • Im from HQ, Im here to help :D

• CVO1: 2000 SERG
« Reply #42 on: January 20, 2011, 12:10:38 PM »

I'm not buyin' that Gank  :nixweiss: I know how much you love that SERG  :2vrolijk_21:

Yes I do love it, and yes it will be taking some nice trips south... and I am allowed to make repairs to get home, so that new engine  (110 or bigger) and the 6 spd and new tires... they are needed to get home, so no tax :D

I will also replace my SERG with a SERGU maybe in two years.. the price will be down, and I will be able to afford it.  I maybe going south this year with my kid brother to buy him a bike and bring it back... just too much money to leave on the table not too.  I would like to buy from a Stealership but when they want $25K for 2005 Ultra.... and a newer one is avail in the the USA for $15K... why would you?  Even more so when you see it started off life as a USA bike to begin with.

To Libs and NDP
"If we are not willing to commit our military when asked by the United Nations, for a NATO mission, in a country whose elected government wants us and whose citizens need us, then when would Canada be prepared to do so?"

kraut

• 1K CVO Member
  • Ride & Have Fun

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE4
    • Harley Café Dresden
« Reply #43 on: January 20, 2011, 01:13:11 PM »

The importers in Europe are all subsidiaries of Harley-Davidson Inc. as far as I know, Germany, Switzerland, Austria and GB are for sure.
CU on the road, Hans

Ride & Have Fun

Grizzly

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • ON

• CVO1: '05 Jalapeno 1 of 692 sold
    • CVO2: '08 Duracell #601 of 1,800
« Reply #44 on: January 20, 2011, 02:47:57 PM »

The importers in Europe are all subsidiaries of Harley-Davidson Inc. as far as I know, Germany, Switzerland, Austria and GB are for sure.

Well for sure in England they have an importer set up because I know the guy who was sent there to head it up for the first few years and I was told it was the same kind of thing as Deeley being the Canadian importer.

As mentioned, I'm not sure about the rest of the world - just figuring.

However, you maybe very well be right... The MoCo could have seen how much there is to be made (just working the exchange rates) with Deeley and put their own import business in place to cover other countries???  :nixweiss:
« Last Edit: January 20, 2011, 02:51:16 PM by Grizzly »
ALL 10 Provinces & ALL Lower 48 States ridden on "MY" bike

NW Territories and Alaska, here I come!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8  All

Page created in 0.203 seconds with 21 queries.