Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Before you buy a harley  (Read 6384 times)

muddypaws

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2012 FLHTCUS7

• CVO1: 2005 CVO
    • CVO2: 2009 CVO SEUC
    • CVO3: 2017 CVO LIMITED
    • Re/Max
Before you buy a harley
« on: July 16, 2013, 02:47:38 PM »

Check out this guys opinion. Your thoughts?
http://www.jamesrussellpublishing.biz/beforeyoubuyharley.html
Bill

ultrarider123

Re: Before you buy a harley
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2013, 02:51:03 PM »

Couldn't open the link..... :nixweiss:  tried it a couple more times and it opened

....it's too late anyway....done bought too many uv dem.... :2vrolijk_21:
« Last Edit: July 16, 2013, 03:22:16 PM by Haird »

muddypaws

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2012 FLHTCUS7

• Re/Max
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2013, 02:53:04 PM »

Me to but it's interesting...I tried on the site and it opened...
Bill

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2013, 03:15:06 PM »

It didn't open the first time....tried it again and it opened.

Nothing there to surprising to me. :nixweiss:
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2013, 03:30:20 PM »

As is often the case, it's a mixture of some truth and some total BS.  I think most everyone who has been on the site for a few years or more probably knows exactly how I feel about the fine folks at H-D and their seriously flawed motorcycles.  But this guy resorts to total lies and BS to make his point, when those things aren't required.  Here is just one statement that is total crap:   "Believe it or not!  When the engine fails it is not covered under warranty!  Dealers will tell you it is a failed maintenance issue.  In other words, you failed to pay the dealer to tear your engine apart to inspect the condition of the cam chain followers on a routine basis.  This is not fair dealings, but it is what you will get when buying a Harley-Davidson.  It's the price you will pay to play."  Here's the reason that is total BS.  Look in your maintenance checklists in your owners or shop manual, and you will find there is absolutely no requirement to check the cam chain tensioners, or even a suggestion that it might be a good idea.  So obviously they can't blame you for failing to perform maintenance that they do not require or recommend.  One of my big complaints with the early Twin Cam tensioner fiasco was the fact that Harley never did add a maintenance requirement or recommendation even though they knew there was a very high probability of failures.  It's one of the things Harley just can't seem to bring themselves to do; admit they screwed up.  Anyhow, while I agree with the overall premise (Harley quality and reliability sucks), I don't agree with the use of false information to prove the point.

Btw, this guy also harps on the engineering stupidity of using chains and tensioners instead of gear drives as if everyone knows this crap won't work.  Well I hate to tell the moron, but the auto industry has been using cam chains with nylon tensioners and guides for a lot longer than Harley has, and they don't have these problems.  More than a few motorcycle companies have also been doing this for decades as well.  It's not the idea, it's the lousy way Harley applied the idea and the lousy quality of the cheap parts they used.

JMHO - Jerry
« Last Edit: July 16, 2013, 03:32:21 PM by grc »
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

muddypaws

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2012 FLHTCUS7

• Re/Max
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2013, 03:35:10 PM »

Jerry all good points.
Bill

scttgr8

• Senior CVO Member
  • my new GLIDE

• CVO1: 2012 FLTRXSE
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2013, 05:46:32 PM »

:soapbox:
many good points but even more BS points...and for him to be a published writer, he should pay for a proof reader...hard to get through with so many incorrect word usage/choices.    PERFECT 0 defect products American made or not are non existent ... JMHO and a FACT!
2012 HD Road Glide Custom CVO (FLTRXSE) Candy Cobalt/Twilight Blue with Real Smoke Graphics I added wrapped chrome license plate bracket/cover, saddlebag guard rails, replaced black Engine covers w/Chrome, RCx slip-ons mounted on Fullsac "C" X head pipe, TTS tuner tuned! Enjoying life ...living the dream!!!

tweeter13

• 1K CVO Member
    • OH

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE6
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2013, 08:08:17 PM »

Jerry again uses the best vocabulary and is right to the point.  My old Yamaha's even have chains.   This guy harps on design flaws.  I have bought bikes with shaft drive hard acceleration I would get what I would call torque steer.  So I am sure every manufacture has there flaws or defects if you want to point them out.  But I will stick with my hot engine. 

Todd.
18 Monsterbrite led lights
Fullsac DX head pipe
Fullsac 2.25 baffles
TTS master-tune
George Anderson tourpac relocator

dlaws01

• 1K CVO Member
  • Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulltion

• CVO1: 105th Anniversary FXSTSSE2
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2013, 11:26:46 PM »

Sorry, I just don't have the patience to read that much here.  I'll wait for the Reader's Digest version to come out.   :drink:
Jesus is Lord

ridefar

• Senior CVO Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2013, 10:51:10 AM »

At a recent auto show, I watched a 3 man crew from a G.M. engine plant build a 4 cylinder turbocharged engine, just like they do it in the factory. The parts are modular and come from various suppliers. They kept saying that this motor is designed for and has been tested to go a minimum of 250 thousand miles without internal maintenance. The cams were chain driven with a hydraulic(based upon oil pressure) tensioner. I had to ask the lead man if he really believed that the chain tensioner and chain would have that long of a service life, and he replied in the affirmative.

skreminegul07

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • MA

• CVO1: 2017 Indian Chieftain Limited
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2013, 09:24:21 AM »

As is often the case, it's a mixture of some truth and some total BS.  I think most everyone who has been on the site for a few years or more probably knows exactly how I feel about the fine folks at H-D and their seriously flawed motorcycles.  But this guy resorts to total lies and BS to make his point, when those things aren't required.  Here is just one statement that is total crap:   "Believe it or not!  When the engine fails it is not covered under warranty!  Dealers will tell you it is a failed maintenance issue.  In other words, you failed to pay the dealer to tear your engine apart to inspect the condition of the cam chain followers on a routine basis.  This is not fair dealings, but it is what you will get when buying a Harley-Davidson.  It's the price you will pay to play."  Here's the reason that is total BS.  Look in your maintenance checklists in your owners or shop manual, and you will find there is absolutely no requirement to check the cam chain tensioners, or even a suggestion that it might be a good idea.  So obviously they can't blame you for failing to perform maintenance that they do not require or recommend.  One of my big complaints with the early Twin Cam tensioner fiasco was the fact that Harley never did add a maintenance requirement or recommendation even though they knew there was a very high probability of failures.  It's one of the things Harley just can't seem to bring themselves to do; admit they screwed up.  Anyhow, while I agree with the overall premise (Harley quality and reliability sucks), I don't agree with the use of false information to prove the point.

Btw, this guy also harps on the engineering stupidity of using chains and tensioners instead of gear drives as if everyone knows this crap won't work.  Well I hate to tell the moron, but the auto industry has been using cam chains with nylon tensioners and guides for a lot longer than Harley has, and they don't have these problems.  More than a few motorcycle companies have also been doing this for decades as well.  It's not the idea, it's the lousy way Harley applied the idea and the lousy quality of the cheap parts they used.

JMHO - Jerry

Jerry, My buddy was going to trade a 2005 road King with 40,000 miles.  They wouldn't take the bike in trade unless he could prove the cam tensioners were checked and serviced.  Ridiculous.  I told him to show any mention of CAMs in the maintenance schedule.  And actually I had just checked them and they were fine. 
Any day on the bike is a good day.

Panhead_Jimmy

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2013, 02:57:33 PM »

It's quite obvious to me that if "James Russell Publishing" gets paid by the word, this man is wealthy beyond my wildest dreams.  Geesh, dude.  Condense!
2004 Hemi Dodge Slammed Ram, Short Bed Std Cab
1945 Knuckle
1956 Pan
2015 FLHTKSE
2017 CVO Street Glide Orange/Starfire Black

North Georgia Hawg

• HoneyBadger Don't Give a CHIT...
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • I HATE WINTER!!!

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
    • CVO2: 2009 Chevy Avalanche LTZ Inferno Orange
    • CVO3: 2001 Ebbtide Mystique 2300: 8-ch 2000 watt audio system, two 12" Kicker subs
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2013, 04:14:25 PM »

I've read this trash-talking article before. The guy's obviously a Sporty fan - and he's right about the bulletproof nature of that engine. They use the same lifters as the TC does, but they don't eat them like the TC does, etc. etc. etc.

Yes, the TC has many issues, but it isn't as if they all fall apart or blow up as soon as the warranty expires... only about half do that!

I wish they would have just punched out the Evo Big Twin. It IS a very simple, bulletproof big twin... with a single cam driven by a pinion gear directly off of the (rebuildable!) crank. The Evolution engine pretty much outlasted most of its riders. I still miss my 1995 Evo FLHTP, Big Bad Bertha!

Ken

HoneyBadger Don't Care...

TD AK-20s | Drago's S/C/S-4 | SE 259Es | Feuling 8015/7060/Rods | Black Ops Lifters
Cometics | Big Sucker 2 | Energy One +1 Clutch Pack | Hayden BT07 | ClutchWIZ
WPW Fans | TL P7 LEDs/Aux | Dynamic Ringz | Tour Pak | WO 575s | RT 665
Corbin DualTour | BAH Flush Front Axle | Chrome Calipers
The Wizard's Tune

skratch

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE2 Roman Gold/Burnt Emerald
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2013, 06:53:43 PM »

Sorry, I just don't have the patience to read that much here.  I'll wait for the Reader's Digest version to come out.   :drink:

reader's digest version:

harley sucks.  everything else is better, faster, etc...
I understand the concept of reality, but find it too confining as a way of life

Page created in 0.201 seconds with 22 queries.