Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 12

Author Topic: Recalls for the clutch on the 2014 models  (Read 34346 times)

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• CVO1: 2005.3217-45 FLHTCSE2
    • Porthole II
Re: Recalls for the clutch on the 2014 models
« Reply #30 on: October 17, 2013, 10:43:18 AM »

I was running the Fat Cat when I boiled my clutch fluid a few years back...   :2vrolijk_21:

Guess I got lucky then - I sure have felt like a lobster a time or two riding with those pipes.
And after 8 seasons I finally flushed the brake and clutch lines when I had the engine apart this past August.
:fireman: Duane  :fireman:

MV 2013

1982 LowRider * 1974 XLCH * 1972 Adnoh
You can't control the weather, only how you deal with it

Hdolfje

• Full CVO Member
  • 2021 FLTRXSE

• CVO1: 2019 FLHXSE Black Forest & Wineberry
    • CVO2: 2018 FLHXSE Dark Alloy/Black Denim
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHXSE Starfire Black/Atomic Red

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #32 on: October 17, 2013, 10:55:24 AM »

Guess I got lucky then - I sure have felt like a lobster a time or two riding with those pipes.
And after 8 seasons I finally flushed the brake and clutch lines when I had the engine apart this past August.

That's why I installed the 09-up 2/1/2 exhaust last winter.  Far cooler for me and my wife...   :2vrolijk_21:
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

Digital

• Full CVO Member
  • Molon Labe
« Reply #33 on: October 17, 2013, 12:43:50 PM »

I got the call.   They are scheduling a time to pick up my bike for the recall.
2014 CVO Road King
2013 Road Glide (sold)
2012 Modified Baja DB30 - FUN BIKE!
2012 Fatboy Lo (sold)
2011 Aprilia Tuono (sold)
2006 Ducati Sport 1000 (sold)
1997 Yamaha YZF600r (sold)

tazmun

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 06 FLHTCUSE (sold)
    • CVO2: 19 FLHXS All Black
« Reply #34 on: October 17, 2013, 01:00:12 PM »

Admittedly, some of this stuff is hard to read.  I'll do my best to try and explain.

My first cycle was a 2002 Honda VTX 1800C that I bought off my uncle (he bought it new).  He put 18k miles on the bike without a single issue before he sold it to me.  I owned it for 5 years before trading it in on my 13 SERK that I bought last month.  In the 5 years that I owned it, I never had any issue with it.  Now, I wouldn't really consider the 1800C to be a touring bike, but it had hard bags and a windshield.  Thing is - it was liquid-cooled, had dual ABS linked brakes, and a hydraulic clutch.  Many of these features are considered "new" for Harley in the last few years.  I guess that surprises me a little bit.  

The 1800 was an American-made bike - but not by an American company.  I know that Harley has never really considered Honda, Yamaha, Suzuki to be competition, and as a result, has been able to do (or not do) whatever they want.  If they didn't perceive a big need to introduce a new feature, then they didn't do it.  Mechanics rule #1 - if it ain't broke, don't fix it.  Sales translation - if bikes keep selling like hotcakes the way they are, don't substantially change them.

I feel Harley nailed two things that the others really haven't yet - style and culture.  The others have tried, and have gained some ground but they still are behind the MoCo in these areas.  I think it's because of the styling that HD has and the culture they've helped create that owners are willing to deal with a higher number of issues than other manufacturers.  Now, I'm not saying that Harley's have a ton of problems or that the other manufacturers DON'T have their share of issues.  People will tend to complain about issues they've dealt within instead of singing the praises of something that they don't have any issues with.

So, getting back to me - while I loved my VTX in how it rode, performed, and had no issues with it, it did not have the styling that I really wanted.  It didn't have the culture behind it that I've wanted to be a part of.  That may sound stupid, but I'm just being honest and maybe I'm labeling myself as a fool for such.  It's just a little tough to swallow that I will have paid 4 times for that from what I paid for the VTX - and a higher chance of more issues.  Will that change my decision or will I get rid of the bike - no way.  I'm in it for life.  But I feel it's interesting to see the real reasons that can drive us to make "big" decisions like this if we're willing to be honest with ourselves.

Tru
Well said, and true.
Taz
The "TAZMUN"

tazmun

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 06 FLHTCUSE (sold)
    • CVO2: 19 FLHXS All Black
« Reply #35 on: October 17, 2013, 01:17:43 PM »

I have the 06 CVO Ultra with  D&D and have never had a clutch issue, even riding slow in 106 degree heat.
I do want to say I have my fluids changed every 2/3 years depending on how many miles I put on each year.
The reason I do that is all of my Acura's say to change the brake fluid every 2 years or 24k, because of heat!!!
I also am able to see the clutch/brake reservoirs on my Goldwing, and you can see the fluid getting darker & darker
as the miles rack up.
 The first time I asked my HD dealer to change my fluids, he looked at me like I was nuts! He then asked why,
so I just said do it, the fluids get hot and boil and I want them changed.  I've never had a brake or clutch problem!

Taz
The "TAZMUN"

scottt

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #36 on: October 17, 2013, 01:19:09 PM »

Dealer just called me. Advised me not to ride the bike, they will be scheduling the pickup within the next 24 hours. Parts are not expected to arrive until Tuesday. Sounds like bike will be parked for close to a week.

I would be more upset if I did not like this bike so much. Hope we get all this stuff out of the way now so that I can ride without much of any issues next spring

Scott

bf2002flht

• Junior CVO Member
  • for sale
2014 Recall #0153 hydraulic clutch system
« Reply #37 on: October 17, 2013, 01:27:31 PM »

Recall 0153 hydraulic clutch system

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #38 on: October 17, 2013, 01:27:41 PM »

Jerry, I don't recall anything with the clutch, what was the issue?

Duane, many of us had severe problems with air in the lines which wouldn't allow the clutch to release properly.  Mine was that way straight from the factory, and many others reported the same issue back then.  Harley never addressed the problem or even acknowledged the problem.  The issue of improper bleeding at the factory seemed to get better when they started building the CVO's on the regular assembly line as best I can tell.  And even if you got all the air out of the system there were many problems with defective slave cylinders.  Then with the change to the new frame and exhaust system for '09 a lot of folks had problems due to the heat boiling the fluid.  Kind of like the heat screwing up the rear brake light switches, which was a recall eventually.  Nothing on the clutch though.

Anyhow, I find it amazing that they blew off the CVO folks for years, but as soon as they start using the hydraulic clutch on regular bikes it's now a safety problem.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

CVO Aqua-Glider

• Senior CVO Member
  • 2014 FLHTKSE

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Ultra Limited
« Reply #39 on: October 17, 2013, 01:30:07 PM »

I called dealer to schedule recall repair.  I told them I'd bring them the bike, but they didn't like that, so called and said they'd pick her up tonight.  Moving me to the top of the list for the repair in light of the issues I've already been having.  figure I'll take my 2011 FLHTK to them tonight for the 15k service eventhough I'm selling her.  That way, I still have something to ride. :)

Untitled by oneboltzfan, on Flickr
2014 FLHTKSE Jupiter Blue/Wicked Sapphire

FLH91

• Senior CVO Member
    • MI

• CVO1: 2015 FLTRUSE
    • CVO2: 2014 FLSTNSE
    • CVO3: 2013 FLTRXSE2
« Reply #40 on: October 17, 2013, 02:29:58 PM »

While heat may of been the issue back then, I have not heard that from the two dealers Ive talked to..  I've heard the "repair kit" for this recall consists of a new slave cylinder as well as a new clutch plate....  Would these fixes be a reslut of too much heat?

scottt

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #41 on: October 17, 2013, 02:42:35 PM »

While heat may of been the issue back then, I have not heard that from the two dealers Ive talked to..  I've heard the "repair kit" for this recall consists of a new slave cylinder as well as a new clutch plate....  Would these fixes be a reslut of too much heat?

They claim it's a one hour fix. I could not imagine replacing all those parts in one hour?

As a side note; can you imagine what this is going to cost Harley. Close to 25,000 bikes; paying to have the bikes picked-up and then repaired. I am not feeling sorry for them, just seeing huge numbers. This is the first recall I can remember that included picking up the bike, has not happened to me in the last 25 years. This is also one of the fastest recalls; they must have found a real big potential issue. While I wish it did not happen, glad it's being handled right away. Don't want to deal with any issues next spring.

Scott

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #42 on: October 17, 2013, 02:52:53 PM »

While heat may of been the issue back then, I have not heard that from the two dealers Ive talked to..  I've heard the "repair kit" for this recall consists of a new slave cylinder as well as a new clutch plate....  Would these fixes be a reslut of too much heat?

I haven't seen anything so far that fully explains exactly what the problem is.  Until someone posts the actual service bulletin that normally accompanies a recall it's all just conjecture.  As far as a new clutch plate is concerned, I don't see why that would only affect the hydraulic clutch bikes.  The actual clutch plates in the past have been the same regardless of cable or hydraulic actuation.  Unless of course the plate you're talking about is the pressure plate.  I guess we will eventually find out.

Jerry
« Last Edit: October 17, 2013, 04:00:24 PM by grc »
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

mannyr

• Full CVO Member
  • 2013 CVO Road Glide. A few mods
« Reply #43 on: October 17, 2013, 03:10:12 PM »

About a 2 week turn around, for repair. Depending on the date on the clutch assembly, may not need repair. But to check the Date they have to open assembly.

ChopperPilot

• 1K CVO Member
    • MO

• CVO1: 2023 FLHXSE
    • CVO2: 2020 FLHXSE (Sold)
    • CVO3: 2014 FXSBSE (Sold)
« Reply #44 on: October 17, 2013, 03:26:16 PM »

I called dealer to schedule recall repair.  I told them I'd bring them the bike, but they didn't like that, so called and said they'd pick her up tonight.  Moving me to the top of the list for the repair in light of the issues I've already been having.  figure I'll take my 2011 FLHTK to them tonight for the 15k service eventhough I'm selling her.  That way, I still have something to ride. :)

Dealer called me this morning, maybe they will pick mine up today, since you are in same area as I am.

Want to go have a beer?  Sure not going to be riding anytime soon the way things look.

2023 CVO Street Glide
Whiskey Neat
Khrome Werks Duals

2019 Heritage Classic 114 Special
Silver Flux and Black Fuse
Rinehart 2 into 1 Pipe
Screamin' Eagle Super Tuner

2014 CVO Breakout
Hard Candy Sedona Sand and Blaze Orange
Vance & Hines Big Radius 2 into 2 Pipes
Screamin' Eagle Super Tuner
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 12

Page created in 0.381 seconds with 21 queries.