Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Seat rub & wear  (Read 2579 times)

Widows Son

• No man stands so tall as when he stoops to help a child - Shriners of America
  • Full CVO Member
  • narasimhalu.smugmug.com

• CVO1: 2010 FLHXSE
    • Sanjay Narasimhalu Photography
Seat rub & wear
« on: January 31, 2010, 07:04:19 PM »

Inintially put this question in the "Seat Gap thread", and it might have been in the wrong place.

A 1000 miles on the SESG with the stock seat and I noticed something: The seat rubs the corner of the saddle bag lid and there is wear showing (seat and lid) and this is both on the left and right sides.
 - For those of you that have the stock seat (even the SERG), does the seat rub the saddlebag lid corner while riding whihc starts a rub or wear on side of the seat and even starts to wear through the paint on the saddle bag lid corner? How do the Ultra's manage with a wider seat? Is bag lid and seat wear/rub a common issue? I've only got a few miles, yet I can feel the clearcoat has a rough feel to it where it rubs against the seat.
 - For those of you with the aftermarket seat, does your seat rub? What is the width in inches of your new seat? I'm thinking between the 2 issues of saddle bag lid rub and the seat gap, I'm going with the C&C, but wonder if I have to give up on width to prevent rub. I belive our seat is 15" wide and the C&C says 13.5 ".
- Last, do you sit at the same level , lower, or higher on the C&C seat vs. the stock seat (if memory serves you)? I found the stock SG sat higher than the SESG and wouldn't want the new C&C seat to be any higher nor lower (I'm not sure if difference between the SG and SESG height was due to the seat, the bike, or both).

Thanks for the help.

Wild 1 Chubby WO575
C&C seat
Dynojet Power Vision
Jackpot 2-1-2 header
V&H Hi-Output
J&M 250W amp + 7.25" Speakers
Chrome Agitators
Harley Goodies floorboard extensions
Wheeldock EZ-up centerstand
Klock Werks 8.5"
Boogey Lights - 126 LEDs
3M Armor
Kury LED Headlight
Brukus saddlebag & seat hardware
Gizmos: GoPro HD, SPOT

Hawg

• Elite CVO Member

Re: Seat rub & wear
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2010, 09:10:12 PM »

Inintially put this question in the "Seat Gap thread", and it might have been in the wrong place.

A 1000 miles on the SESG with the stock seat and I noticed something: The seat rubs the corner of the saddle bag lid and there is wear showing (seat and lid) and this is both on the left and right sides.
 - For those of you that have the stock seat (even the SERG), does the seat rub the saddlebag lid corner while riding whihc starts a rub or wear on side of the seat and even starts to wear through the paint on the saddle bag lid corner? How do the Ultra's manage with a wider seat? Is bag lid and seat wear/rub a common issue? I've only got a few miles, yet I can feel the clearcoat has a rough feel to it where it rubs against the seat.
 - For those of you with the aftermarket seat, does your seat rub? What is the width in inches of your new seat? I'm thinking between the 2 issues of saddle bag lid rub and the seat gap, I'm going with the C&C, but wonder if I have to give up on width to prevent rub. I belive our seat is 15" wide and the C&C says 13.5 ".
- Last, do you sit at the same level , lower, or higher on the C&C seat vs. the stock seat (if memory serves you)? I found the stock SG sat higher than the SESG and wouldn't want the new C&C seat to be any higher nor lower (I'm not sure if difference between the SG and SESG height was due to the seat, the bike, or both).

Thanks for the help.

Yet another issue for the Moco to look at, I say out with the old seat and in with a new seat or at least a fix :2vrolijk_21:
« Last Edit: January 31, 2010, 09:19:47 PM by Hawg »
Hawg

mjb765

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO2: 2015 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO3: 2018 FLTRXSE
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2010, 09:13:09 PM »

Never had a problem on mine...maybe the saddlebag mount is too far forward??

Widows Son

• No man stands so tall as when he stoops to help a child - Shriners of America
  • Full CVO Member
  • narasimhalu.smugmug.com

• Sanjay Narasimhalu Photography
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2010, 09:58:36 PM »

Never had a problem on mine...maybe the saddlebag mount is too far forward??

Great thought. I went over to the bike after reading it. After removing the bag and looking at the alignment, I can't see how the mounts could be moved amymore to the rear of the bike. Also, the alignment of the rear of the bags has the bags slightly further back than the fender-bag spacers (where the LED bake lights are located). If I could move it back any further, it would be less flush with this spacer piece. Never-the-less, that was a great observation - thanks.

Wild 1 Chubby WO575
C&C seat
Dynojet Power Vision
Jackpot 2-1-2 header
V&H Hi-Output
J&M 250W amp + 7.25" Speakers
Chrome Agitators
Harley Goodies floorboard extensions
Wheeldock EZ-up centerstand
Klock Werks 8.5"
Boogey Lights - 126 LEDs
3M Armor
Kury LED Headlight
Brukus saddlebag & seat hardware
Gizmos: GoPro HD, SPOT

CVOTequila

• Squee's Revenge
  • Elite CVO Member

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2010, 10:43:31 PM »

Thanks for the help.

I feel like I am slightly lower and forward with my C & C seat...it is way more comfortable, and it is easier for me to transition me feet in a stop.  My C &C has really been a great mod.   
Mods:
Mirror Chrome Agitator Wheels
Freedom Racing Duals
C&C Seat (Squeeter's Revenge)
Hawg Wired "Double Shots"
Hawg Wired Tweeters
Boogey Lights Fireworks
Kury License Plate
HD Chrome Accents on gauges/radio
Tune Trapper Antenna (hidden)
Riders Claw
Footboard/Passenger Extensions
SE Shift Linkage
Joker Machine Saddlebag Latches
Ness Flame Grips (billet)

mjb765

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO2: 2015 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO3: 2018 FLTRXSE
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2010, 06:58:47 AM »

Great thought. I went over to the bike after reading it. After removing the bag and looking at the alignment, I can't see how the mounts could be moved amymore to the rear of the bike. Also, the alignment of the rear of the bags has the bags slightly further back than the fender-bag spacers (where the LED bake lights are located). If I could move it back any further, it would be less flush with this spacer piece. Never-the-less, that was a great observation - thanks.

The bags are supposed to be behind the LED lights...my bags are not on the bike right now or I would check for ya....maybe someone else will confirm and add the comment.

HDDOCFL

• 1K CVO Member
  • Never Say Never
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2010, 08:44:26 AM »

Had the same problem with my 09 serg. I spaced out the front bag mounts 1/8" to clear the seat.   Doc

skreminegul07

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • MA

• CVO1: 2017 Indian Chieftain Limited
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2010, 04:08:19 PM »

Thanks for the help.

When I bought my used Street Glide, I noticed the exact same thing.  The owner had put on a Road Glide seat which is different.  It also was too long in front and scuffed the console.  I swapped it for a stock seat and no problem.
Any day on the bike is a good day.

Wheelsnkeels

• Freedom isnt free Thank a Vet!
  • 1K CVO Member
  • Indiana Patriot Guard Riders

• CVO1: 2010 SESG Tequila Sunrise
    • CVO2: 2007 Heritage Custom (not CVO) too much chrome
    • CVO3: 2006 Heritage Classic (overinvested in mods ?)
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2010, 05:20:10 PM »

Well went to the dealer (first50 miles in the rain) and received the "New revised seat" and a bike wash :2vrolijk_21:

Improved over the original kind of  :nixweiss:

Now there is no gap at the console although it still does not overlap the chrome. So you can still see the rubber trim sticking out. If I remove the console and cut back the rubber trim a little that will fix that. sitting on the seat 130 miles coming home no visible gap "yeah"! Thats the good news.

While they focused on the nose they neglected the sides I'm only 175 and when I sit on the seat it contacts the left saddlebag lid  :nixweiss: WTF over?

The original had about a 1/2" gap so get some lose some?
Pretty fed up at this point!

Guess I'll sell the seat and buy the Corbin Solo for myself and use the Sundowner 2 up.

The Bride says the new seat is better in theback than the original but all in all not near as comfortable to her as the Sundowner. So to eliminate the squeak in the back seat its the Sundowner 2 up.

Perhaps the Corbin dual heated touring???

RC Components Savage  200/55/17 Rear 140/70/21 front
Corbin Dual Tour (Heated)
Street Magic LED's
TTS Mastertune
Fueling 574 Cams & Lifters
SE Adjustable pushrods
Progressive Mono Tubes
Hog Tunes Hog Pods
J&M 7.25 Speakers w/250W Amp
Kuryakyn 9182 License plate frame
Vance & Hines Power Dual's
BUB Boom Cans slip on Exhaust 
Detach Tequila King Tour Pak
Rumble passenger Floorboards
Freedom Shield 7"
Riders Claw Iphone

Hawg

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2010, 07:16:30 PM »

at first it was looking like my bike was going to miss the rubbin issue, until I looked at it yesterday  >:(
Hawg

Kevinski

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: FLSTSE3 and lovin' it
    • CVO2: FLSTSE2 and loved it but sold it
    • CVO3: FLHXSE Tequila (sold)
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2010, 05:39:52 PM »

Hi Wheels,

You can add a pillion pad to the Classic Solo, so no need for the sundowner.

http://www.corbin.com/harley/baggers/hdflh9-s.shtml

Kev

Wheelsnkeels

• Freedom isnt free Thank a Vet!
  • 1K CVO Member
  • Indiana Patriot Guard Riders

• CVO1: 2010 SESG Tequila Sunrise
    • CVO2: 2007 Heritage Custom (not CVO) too much chrome
    • CVO3: 2006 Heritage Classic (overinvested in mods ?)
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2010, 06:41:27 PM »

Thanks Kev thats in the plans!  :2vrolijk_21:

I already have the Sundowner bought it before the baike had 100 miles on it due to the seat gap issue.

The large Corbin Pillion is 12.5" and the Sundowner is 14" so I'm hoping the Bride is happy with the Corbin?

Assuming that's the case I'll sell both my seats and recoup some of the expense  :nixweiss: I hope?
RC Components Savage  200/55/17 Rear 140/70/21 front
Corbin Dual Tour (Heated)
Street Magic LED's
TTS Mastertune
Fueling 574 Cams & Lifters
SE Adjustable pushrods
Progressive Mono Tubes
Hog Tunes Hog Pods
J&M 7.25 Speakers w/250W Amp
Kuryakyn 9182 License plate frame
Vance & Hines Power Dual's
BUB Boom Cans slip on Exhaust 
Detach Tequila King Tour Pak
Rumble passenger Floorboards
Freedom Shield 7"
Riders Claw Iphone

Page created in 0.196 seconds with 21 queries.