Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Lowered suspension ?  (Read 1414 times)

yobtaf103

• Full CVO Member
Lowered suspension ?
« on: May 17, 2010, 08:34:09 AM »

Is the SESG same as a SG height wise, H-D specs give 1" lower seat height presume that is all down to the seat itself ?

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
Re: Lowered suspension ?
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2010, 02:30:22 PM »

From H-D specs pages:

Seat Height, Unladen/Laden:      SG - 27.3"/26.3"         SESG - 27.9"/26.5"

Ground Clearance:                    SG - 4.7"                  SESG - 5.1"

Front Tire:                              SG - 130/70B18         SESG - 130/70B18  (same)

Rear Tire:                               SG - 180/65B16          SESG - 180/55B18 (18 versus 16 inch)

Looks like the flexible SESG seat sags a lot more than the stock seat, if you look at the differences for laden and unladen seat heights.  That correlates with all the problems folks have had with the SESG seat and how it fits after it sags in the middle.

The rear wheel and tire combinations result in approximately .6" more height at the rear axle on the SESG, and approximately .4" more ground clearance measured at the frame.

The rear suspension height is supposedly the same on the two models, even though the SESG has the new hydraulically adjusted shocks instead of the air shocks.  Not totally certain on the front suspension, since there is a lowering kit in the catalog that says it fits the FLHX, but not the FLHXSE.  It doesn't say it's already stock on the FLHXSE, which would be the normal way they would indicate if an accessory part was standard on a SE bike.  It's possible they don't sell it for the SE because the rear of the bike is higher due to the 18" tire and wheel, and lowering the front further would adversely affect rake and trail, but I can't say for certain.  So that one I'll have to leave to someone who has the actual parts books to figure out.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

yobtaf103

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2010, 07:47:00 AM »

Thanks, Jerry

Wondered about the P&A front lower kit they claim " 1" decrease in ride height" for SG
I`m a bit short in the leg so looking at options SESG seat looks lower profile but ride height is not it seems than SG.
May have to go with  an SG with that lower kit

GusGlide

• Vendor
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2010, 08:36:17 PM »

Hi. I'm in the same boat (short legs). I'm not sure what the best way to go but I've read that if you use a Corbin classic seat you would be 1/2 to 1 inch lower. I'm waiting for my SESG to come in so I can see what my options are. Also I was told that it would not be a good idea to lower the front. Worse case is I'll need to install a different seat and maybe some higher boots. Let me know if you have better ideas. Thanks

mjb765

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO2: 2015 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO3: 2018 FLTRXSE
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2010, 09:07:57 PM »

Hi. I'm in the same boat (short legs). I'm not sure what the best way to go but I've read that if you use a Corbin classic seat you would be 1/2 to 1 inch lower. I'm waiting for my SESG to come in so I can see what my options are. Also I was told that it would not be a good idea to lower the front. Worse case is I'll need to install a different seat and maybe some higher boots. Let me know if you have better ideas. Thanks

My Corbin Classic Solo was a little higher than my stock seat was. I had to send it back to Corbin to be lowered and narrowed as much as they could. The C&C solo seat is lower than the Corbin.

Myko

• Senior CVO Member
  • Takin' Bug Slayer Home

• CVO1: 2010 FLHXSE "BUG SLR" Spiced Rum - Yummmm!
    • CVO2: 1985 FLHTC "St Steven", RK conversion, hand paint in Naples, IT
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2010, 10:15:19 PM »

My Corbin Classic Solo was a little higher than my stock seat was. I had to send it back to Corbin to be lowered and narrowed as much as they could. The C&C solo seat is lower than the Corbin.
My experience with my Corbin Classic Solo is that it sits a bit higher and further back than the stock seat.
~~~~~
Mike
------------------------------------------------------
2010 Spiced Rum SESG "Bug Slayer"
Fullsac X pipe & 2.0 baffles
Corbin Classic Solo w/Scarlet Flames
14" Wild1 Chubby Apehangers
Hawg Wired Double Shot
Kuryakyn Driving Lights
Clark Custom Windshield & Deflectors
Performance Machine FL Touring Mirrors (black)
Color matched saddlebag spoilers
Deflectorization
Diamond Polished Stainless Steel Engine bolt kit
---------------------------------------------------

Page created in 0.151 seconds with 21 queries.