Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 8 [All]

Author Topic: Strategic Packing for Long Ride on a 2011 CVO Street Glide???  (Read 11909 times)

willyB

• 1K CVO Member
Strategic Packing for Long Ride on a 2011 CVO Street Glide???
« on: September 07, 2011, 06:50:46 PM »

The wife and I are taking a long trip (St. Louis to Yellowstone via Denver and Sturgis). We're leaving this Sunday (9/11 Never Forget!!) and will be returning 9/23.

I've been pulling together our gear that I am planning on packing into 2 saddlebags and a small/mid size Saddleman bag.

I am looking to see if I've missed anything.
* Clothes
* Leathers
* Rain gear
* Gloves
* Tire plug kit
* Very small air compressor (plugs into cig lighter)
* Pass code for alarm
* Extra key
* Flashlight
* First aide kit
* HOG card
* CCW
* Contacts (in case I break my glasses)
* Maps
* Quart of oil
* Bugslide windshield cleaner
* Octane booster in case I can't get good gas
* Tools (checked all nuts and bolts already to make sure i have the right stuff)
* Air pressure guage
* Duct and electrical tape
* Checked fluids and tire pressure

It's our first big ride on a bagger. Our old bike was a '03 Deuce and we are used to packing "really" light.

Thanks for the feedback! (I'll be posting pictures from the ride when we get back.)
GMR 577 Cams, S & S Lifters, S & S Pushrods, V&H Headers, Rinehart 4” Slipons, TTS Tuner, 12" Yaffee Monkey Bars, Color Matched Chopped Tour Pak (510 HP and 763 TQ +/-)

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
Re: Strategic Packing for Long Ride on a 2011 CVO Street Glide???
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2011, 07:08:17 PM »

Doesn't really matter what bike you ride, you're always short of packing space.  I like a scarf for cold weather also.  Find a tough case for your eyeglasses to protect them in the saddlebag.  Gun & stuff.  Money.  Phone.  Sunscreen.  Forget the qt. of oil, takes too much room and you won't need it.  Readly available most anywhere if you do.  Ride safe.  spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

willyB

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2011, 08:24:31 PM »

Doesn't really matter what bike you ride, you're always short of packing space.  I like a scarf for cold weather also.  Find a tough case for your eyeglasses to protect them in the saddlebag.  Gun & stuff.  Money.  Phone.  Sunscreen.  Forget the qt. of oil, takes too much room and you won't need it.  Readly available most anywhere if you do.  Ride safe.  spyder
Ahhhh! Sunscreen and scarf.

I like the qt of oil as a cya. My buddy got stuck in Yellowstone a couple of years ago when a rock punctured his oil filter. Freaky but the nearest HD dealer would only come as close as the park entrance and he said a qt would have gotten him that far. Poor guy, it took almost 5 hours for somebody to haul him to the entrance.

Thanks,
GMR 577 Cams, S & S Lifters, S & S Pushrods, V&H Headers, Rinehart 4” Slipons, TTS Tuner, 12" Yaffee Monkey Bars, Color Matched Chopped Tour Pak (510 HP and 763 TQ +/-)

lammgrel

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHXSE3
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2011, 08:28:47 PM »

a layer of warm clothes if you are going to do Yellowstone and the Black Hills in September, winter comes early here in WY, especially in the mountains, so do not be surprised if you see some snowfall.  Then again, you may luck out and get a beautiful indian summer!!
Legend Air Suspension, Jackpot Exhaust, Fullsack 2.25" Cores, K&N High Flow Air Filter
SE Race Tuner, Windsplitter Windshield

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2011, 08:59:11 PM »

I'd add...

Sunscreen
Earplugs
Lens Cleaners
Wire ties
Extra bungie
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

Screamin

• 5k CVO Member
  • Number 641

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2 Cherry
    • CVO2: 2019 Road Glide Ultra
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2011, 09:01:44 PM »

Camera and charger. Cell phone charger. Registration/insurance papers/contact list in your wallet. Hat. Multi-tool. Small spool of baling wire. Bike lock. Post card stamps. Gloves. Aloe. Meds. VISA/Master Card. Micro fiber cloth.

Buy early

• 5k CVO Member
  • My future if I were Benjamin Button

• CVO1: 2001 FXDWG2 Switchblade - The Beast
    • CVO2: 2004 FXSTDSE2 Deuce - Beauty
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2011, 09:05:40 PM »

Lemon Pledge wipes (great for windshield cleaning, bug removal & all around shineup), nylon seat cover (keeps the dew off), transition sunglasses, couple extra $100 bills stuffed into various crevices in the bike.

CVOfan

• 2012 FLHXSE3
  • Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE3
    • CVO2: 2012 GMC Denali Duramax HD
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2011, 09:41:22 PM »

If you guys keep piling on, he's going to need to buy a tour pak!   :huepfenlol2:

V&H High Output headers
Fullsac 2" inserts

mark

« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2011, 09:51:33 PM »

x2......zip ties/wire tires.  I also take my owners manual.

2harleys

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE5 Burnt Amber/Hot Citrus
    • CVO2: FLSTFSE2 Wife's bike
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2011, 10:49:11 PM »

Come on guys. He is not hauling a fifth wheel behind his bike. How much can you expect him to pack into two saddlebags and a small to mid sized bag???

CVOfan

• 2012 FLHXSE3
  • Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE3
    • CVO2: 2012 GMC Denali Duramax HD
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2011, 10:55:00 PM »

Forget the tour pak....we're going to need a trailer.   :huepfenlol2:

V&H High Output headers
Fullsac 2" inserts

michaelbmenaker

• Elite CVO Member
  • Ride hard, ride safe!
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2011, 11:02:14 PM »

For what it's worth, here are my suggestions.

Strongly consider buying a large t-bag. The expandable one. Pack it unexpanded, dirty clothes take up more space than clean ones, you'll need the extra space on the way back.

I would ditch:
tire repair kit/compressor...get the HOG Roadside assistance. Great value for $20.
the quart of oil. You can always buy one along the way if you need it. You probably won't
Octane boost. The gas along the way will be fine. You aren't going to the 3rd World, just Wyoming.
Tools. Nothing is gonna' break. If it does, use your HOG Roadside assistance.
Electrical tape. See above.

I would add:
electric jacket liners for you both. Or long underwear. I live in Boulder. It was in the 50s and rainy today. Snow above 11,000'
A large trash bag to separate clean/dirty clothes
More warm clothes.

Don't forget:
Maps
Cell phone/charger
Turn the battery "upside down" in your spare key. It will save the battery and you can leave it in your saddle bags and still lock your bike
Camera
"ICE" (in case of emergency) numbers entered into your cell phone.

Next time, I predict you'll have added:
GPS
Lowers

Beautiful country, but beware the weather. You could see 50+ degree temperature swings in a single day.

TwoToes

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 CVO Street Glide Black
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2011, 01:53:53 AM »

Pack only half the clothes you will need. When you get half way into your trip, put the dirty clothes in a box and UPS it home (why carry dirty laundry on your bike). You will be buying new T-shirts along the way and you can stop at Wal-Mart and buy new/clean underware for the ride home.

willyB

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2011, 09:16:05 AM »

Lemon Pledge wipes (great for windshield cleaning, bug removal & all around shineup), nylon seat cover (keeps the dew off), transition sunglasses, couple extra $100 bills stuffed into various crevices in the bike.
Hmmm, Lemon Pledge wipes for the windshield?? Do they work good and not damage it? Great idea if they work.

Thanks for all they replies. I've read all the way down to TwoToes reply from 1:53 AM today. I especially liked michaelbmenakers' statement of encouragement "nothing is gonna' break".

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2011, 09:22:49 AM »

I wouldn't be to quick to forego carrying your tire plug kit w/ air pump if you've already got them.  I had two flats last summer (didn't get to ride this summer   :( )  Extra layers of warm clothes was a great suggestion for this trip, but don't forget your raingear for layering in the cold.  spyder
« Last Edit: September 08, 2011, 09:24:28 AM by spydglide »
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

Buy early

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2011, 09:27:38 AM »

Hmmm, Lemon Pledge wipes for the windshield?? Do they work good and not damage it? Great idea if they work.

Thanks for all they replies. I've read all the way down to TwoToes reply from 1:53 AM today. I especially liked michaelbmenakers' statement of encouragement "nothing is gonna' break".

I swear by Lemon Pledge wipes and always have them with. If you search on Lemon Pledge you'll see tons of support. I like the wipes because they are very portable, easy to share and you don't have to carry a rag, just use them and toss them. Gotta be Lemon Pledge tho, the lemon juice is what breaks down the bug guts. I use them on the whole bike. Makes chrome and paint shine and the whole bike smells lemony fresh!

9 1/2 Beers

• Blu
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2009 FLHTCUSE4 (ZIGGY) Stardust Silver / Twilight Blue
    • CVO2: 2022 Ultra Limited FLHTK Reef Blue / Vivid Black
« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2011, 09:47:14 AM »

:huepfenlol2:
"Let the road go on forever and the party never end "

bbrown

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 04 SEEG BLK/BLU
    • CVO2: 11 SESG. ORANGE/ BLK
    • CVO3: 19 SERG LIGHTNING/ SLVR
« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2011, 09:58:35 AM »

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2011, 10:13:28 AM »

Let me be the first to warn you......the long tours quickly become addicting.  You'll be glad to get home but a week or two later you'll be planning the next one.....just a bit further.  You've been warned. :huepfenlol2:

The most important thing you'll need is a King tour pack in the quick release mode.
I never leave home without the ice chest.....gotta keep the Gatorade and Pepsi cold. :2vrolijk_21:

We do a lot of touring (35k miles on my 10 SESG) and my experience is to not touch the bike....not even the windshield until we get back home.  Anything short of a running hose with lots of water.....you're just rubbing the road gime, dirt, bugs, etc. around and eventually it takes it's toll on your clear coat.  The exception would be if you find someplace where you can totally wash your bike or sometimes a dealership will do it for a few bucks if you're on the road. :2vrolijk_21:
« Last Edit: September 08, 2011, 10:16:59 AM by JCZ »
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

Fast FLHX

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: Kryptonite FLHXSE2 (Sold)
    • CVO2: 2014 CVO Limited (Sold)
    • CVO3: 2020 Smokey Grey/Black Hole FLHXSE
« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2011, 10:36:39 AM »

You could always just get a luggage rack and buy a hiking back pack.  Put the pack on the luggage rack and tie it down to the backrest/rack.  That will give you plenty of room.

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
  • Go fast or go home! EBCM member # 2.36 .01%
    • CVO2: 2011.5 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG
« Reply #20 on: September 08, 2011, 10:50:28 AM »

The exception would be if you find someplace  Or someone where you can totally wash your bike  :2vrolijk_21:

:2vrolijk_21: ;D :2vrolijk_21: ;D :2vrolijk_21: ;D

SBB

2012      SERG  "Nu Blue"
2018      Goldwing   
2003      HD Electra Glide Classic Silver and Black, of course!                
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans
2018      Shelby GT350, 963 crank hp, 825 rear wheel hp

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #21 on: September 08, 2011, 11:16:53 AM »

:2vrolijk_21: ;D :2vrolijk_21: ;D :2vrolijk_21: ;D

SBB

:huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2:  Actually, I was thinkin of a dealership.

OK, truth be know......Chip did wash my bike during the Tahoe GTG. :2vrolijk_21:
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

willyB

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #22 on: September 08, 2011, 01:36:11 PM »

Let me be the first to warn you......the long tours quickly become addicting.  You'll be glad to get home but a week or two later you'll be planning the next one.....just a bit further.  You've been warned. :huepfenlol2:

The most important thing you'll need is a King tour pack in the quick release mode.
I never leave home without the ice chest.....gotta keep the Gatorade and Pepsi cold. :2vrolijk_21:

We do a lot of touring (35k miles on my 10 SESG) and my experience is to not touch the bike....not even the windshield until we get back home.  Anything short of a running hose with lots of water.....you're just rubbing the road gime, dirt, bugs, etc. around and eventually it takes it's toll on your clear coat.  The exception would be if you find someplace where you can totally wash your bike or sometimes a dealership will do it for a few bucks if you're on the road. :2vrolijk_21:
I agree. From the long rides we've taken on the Deuce the next trip always seems to start planning the day we get back.

As far as cleaning the bike during the trip----ONLY THE WINDSHIELD(Carefully)!!! Bikes gotta look like it's been somewhere.

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #23 on: September 08, 2011, 02:36:46 PM »

I don't like to leave bug guts on the painted parts for too long, nor on the windshield.  Some guts will actually eat into the clearcoat if left there long enough.  Windex makes some wipes that work well, but make sure to get the ones WITHOUT amonia.  Packing for cool/cold weather riding is easier to me than hot weather...you've usually got your jacket/chaps/gloves on, so don't have to be concerned about storing them, and you don't sweat and get clothes stinky so they can be worn more than once, and if they're made out of the proper materials, can be rinsed out and worn again...wicking socks, underwear, etc.  A good baselayer, a windproof, lightweight fleece jacket that can be worn underneath your regular jacket, and the rainsuit if it's really cold or of course, raining.  Keep your neck warm...70% of your body heat is lost through the head and neck.

I'd lose the oil and the octane booster, but I'd take the tire plugger and some way of filling the tire with air...I have the CO2 cartridge thing from my mountain bike, but the small compressor would be better if it doesn't take up too much room.
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #24 on: September 08, 2011, 02:54:39 PM »

...70% of your body heat is lost through the head and neck.

Huh?  Can't be.  Scalp is only like 10% of the body's surface area.  If that were true the head would have to percolate at a rate (wait, doing math in my head, that doesn't happen quickly) about 40 times greater per square inch than the rest of the bod.  Only thing on my that hot is my Willy.

Some old wive's tail?

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #25 on: September 08, 2011, 03:36:54 PM »

Huh?  Can't be.  Scalp is only like 10% of the body's surface area.  If that were true the head would have to percolate at a rate (wait, doing math in my head, that doesn't happen quickly) about 40 times greater per square inch than the rest of the bod.  Only thing on my that hot is my Willy.

Some old wive's tail?

Busted:  http://wildernessmedicinenewsletter.wordpress.com/2007/02/14/heat-loss-through-the-head-and-hypothermia/
It is an old wive's tale, with one exception....if hypothermic, the heat loss through the head increases to 55% and up, and there are other exceptions as well, like when immersed in water.  The "wive's tale" comes from an old army training manual, apparently.  So, I've been full of chit all these years and didn't know it until today...then again, I never froze to death in 3 feet of snow and -15 degrees when camping/backpacking by following the wive's tale.

However...when cold, the body will do everything to keep the core and brain warm at the expense of the extremeties...wearing something around the neck area decreases the heat loss, allowing more flow to the extremeties.  The old addage, "If your feet/hands are cold, but on a hat" is true in that case, but not just any hat.  A baseball cap isn't going to do much...a Balaclava will, as will a neck gaiter.  When riding a bike, wind chill factors are pretty dramatic, so layers covered by a windproof outer is most important.  A FF helmet works wonders, but there's still a significant gap that needs to be insulated between the bottom of the back of the helmet and the top of whatever jacket.
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

lammgrel

• Junior CVO Member

« Reply #26 on: September 08, 2011, 06:55:04 PM »

Busted:  http://wildernessmedicinenewsletter.wordpress.com/2007/02/14/heat-loss-through-the-head-and-hypothermia/
It is an old wive's tale, with one exception....if hypothermic, the heat loss through the head increases to 55% and up, and there are other exceptions as well, like when immersed in water.  The "wive's tale" comes from an old army training manual, apparently.  So, I've been full of chit all these years and didn't know it until today...then again, I never froze to death in 3 feet of snow and -15 degrees when camping/backpacking by following the wive's tale.

However...when cold, the body will do everything to keep the core and brain warm at the expense of the extremeties...wearing something around the neck area decreases the heat loss, allowing more flow to the extremeties.  The old addage, "If your feet/hands are cold, but on a hat" is true in that case, but not just any hat.  A baseball cap isn't going to do much...a Balaclava will, as will a neck gaiter.  When riding a bike, wind chill factors are pretty dramatic, so layers covered by a windproof outer is most important.  A FF helmet works wonders, but there's still a significant gap that needs to be insulated between the bottom of the back of the helmet and the top of whatever jacket.
Thanks for fact checking!  :2vrolijk_21:

If you are coming to WY ALWAYS bring a good layering system.  I've seen it snow in July.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2011, 07:00:14 PM by lammgrel »
Legend Air Suspension, Jackpot Exhaust, Fullsack 2.25" Cores, K&N High Flow Air Filter

willyB

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #27 on: September 08, 2011, 08:14:22 PM »

I bought a really thin Patagonia down jacket last year and it works perfect under my leather jacket. Perfect I say! You guys should check them out. It zips up to the very top and also makes a good neck cover. No more cold wind sneaking its way down your back.

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #28 on: September 08, 2011, 08:25:52 PM »

I bought a really thin Patagonia down jacket last year and it works perfect under my leather jacket. Perfect I say! You guys should check them out. It zips up to the very top and also makes a good neck cover. No more cold wind sneaking its way down your back.
That's a great riding jacket and layers great as you mention.  Takes a bit of saddlebag space, but it's light so helps with not exceeding the wt. limit in one bag.  :2vrolijk_21: spyder

lammgrel

• Junior CVO Member

« Reply #29 on: September 08, 2011, 08:55:53 PM »

Cool thing about down is you can actually pack it to a smaller volume the a comparable fleece or poly-fill item... Its best to stuff down items into a stuff sack, rather than fold them.  They come out a little wrinkly, but you dont create creases which lead to cold spots.  Just dont leave a down item stuffed for long periods of time, they will lose their loft.

WestCoastRuss

• 1K CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2010 FLHXSE Tequila Sunrise
    • CVO2: 2014 FXSBSE Sedona Sand
« Reply #30 on: September 08, 2011, 09:04:46 PM »

Here is a location for trip lists....

http://micapeak.com/checklists/
Tequila makes her clothes fall off....

willyB

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #31 on: September 09, 2011, 07:53:03 AM »

Lammgrel,

The Patagonia jacket will actually crumble up small enough to fit in its own pocket.

mark

« Reply #32 on: September 09, 2011, 08:59:06 AM »

Turn the battery "upside down" in your spare key. It will save the battery and you can leave it in your saddle bags and still lock your bike
Great Idea!  I've been perplexed on how to take my extra key and fob w/o having to carry it in my pocket on trips. 

If anyone is traveling w/o their extra fob - beware!  I was at home and tried to start my bike but the alarm kept going off.  Fob battery was only 6 mos. old, so it couldn't be that, right?  Wrong...fob battery had died.  I realized what a mess I'd be in if that happened 500 miles from home in the middle of nowhere at midnight.

Sklywag

• 1K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 09 Ultra Classic
    • CVO2: 06 CVO Ultra - Sold
« Reply #33 on: September 09, 2011, 11:48:09 AM »

Forget the tour pak....we're going to need a trailer.   :huepfenlol2:

Yep, now your thinking correctly.

Bill (Sklywag)
  There are too many roads for one lifetime...

Buy early

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #34 on: September 09, 2011, 12:47:56 PM »

Just giving you a little visual to shoot for. It's a good look.

Sklywag

• 1K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 09 Ultra Classic
    • CVO2: 06 CVO Ultra - Sold
« Reply #35 on: September 09, 2011, 01:45:25 PM »

I read an interesting article about them.  After all there years of travelling the World on the HD they got a divorce & he kept travelling.  Probably didn't have enough enough room for all her stuff.....
Bill (Sklywag)
  There are too many roads for one lifetime...

CVODON

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 15 FLTRUSE
« Reply #36 on: September 09, 2011, 09:39:02 PM »

Local radio show here does a segment called "What year is this" that makes fun of stuff we did 10, 20 years ago. I have to invoke the "what year is it" on the qt of oil ??? Why???

2harleys

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #37 on: September 09, 2011, 11:59:40 PM »

Local radio show here does a segment called "What year is this" that makes fun of stuff we did 10, 20 years ago. I have to invoke the "what year is it" on the qt of oil ??? Why???

Maybe he Has not had time to get in for warranty work on the oil burning problem. Or-- maybe H.D. Says they all do that. :)

Wayne G

• Senior CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 2011 Kyrpto CVO SESG2 2/17/11
    • CVO2: 2015 Ducati Monster 1200S
    • CVO3: 2016 Softail Slim S
« Reply #38 on: September 10, 2011, 11:20:37 AM »

Just did a Trip from Florida to Sturgis 5900 miles with my 11 Krypto and her 09 Deluxe, I lugged around a quart of redline 20W-60 for nothing. If needed any oil would do, and I have to change it anyway! Neither bike used a drop!
 Also pack less regular clothes than you think you will need, we've done many long trips and keep reducing the clothes we bring.  DONT SKIMP ON RAIN OR WARMTH GEAR, rain suits make a great windproof outer layer for cold!!!!!  Face and neck protection is also important, either full face helmet or as simple as a bandanna.  JMO
Its sooooo beautiful out there.
Ride safe and have fun!
Wayne

Mrs Rooster

• 1K CVO Member
  • Rooster May Crow But The Hen Delivers The Goods!!
« Reply #39 on: September 10, 2011, 12:13:30 PM »

On our trip we left behind the leathers...too bulky to strap on. We had mesh jackets, heated jacket liners  and rain gear...was less bulk to strap on.
 Octane booster..leave at home...we had no problems with gas out that way.
 I carry the extra key with fob in my purse.
 Extra qt oil is always good to have...if you travel back roads there isn't always motorcycle oil available.
 Sunscreen  :2vrolijk_21:
 With everything we have have to charge at night we have found that carrying a small power strip you are able to plug everything into one place and your chance of leaving one of your charging cords behind is less  :oops: :huepfenlol2:
 trial size shampoo etc..
take a couple less t shirts then you need cuz you are going to buy some on your trip.
Most hotels have a washer and dryer if not the town does.
On our way home we always ship our dirty clothes home and travel lighter. Most HD stores will ship your stuff for you, and you get to buy another t shirt. ;D

HAVE LOTS OF FUN AND TAKE LOTS OF PICTURES
We are never lost sometimes it just takes longer to get there.

FLHXSE2

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2 BLK/OR
« Reply #40 on: September 10, 2011, 12:19:01 PM »

Great Idea!  I've been perplexed on how to take my extra key and fob w/o having to carry it in my pocket on trips.  

If anyone is traveling w/o their extra fob - beware!  I was at home and tried to start my bike but the alarm kept going off.  Fob battery was only 6 mos. old, so it couldn't be that, right?  Wrong...fob battery had died.  I realized what a mess I'd be in if that happened 500 miles from home in the middle of nowhere at midnight.

Can't you over ride the fob by using your security code through the directional buttons?
« Last Edit: September 10, 2011, 04:56:13 PM by FLHXSE2 »

michaelbmenaker

• Elite CVO Member
  • Ride hard, ride safe!
« Reply #41 on: September 10, 2011, 04:48:46 PM »

Can't you over ride the fob by using your security code through the derectional buttons?

Well, yes. But you can't lock you saddle bags or ignition that way.

FLHXSE2

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #42 on: September 10, 2011, 04:59:53 PM »

Well, yes. But you can't lock you saddle bags or ignition that way.

The reference was if you had your fob/key with you but due to some circumstance the fob wouldn't deactivate the security system. ;D

glenpick

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHXSE2 Orange / Black
« Reply #43 on: September 10, 2011, 05:07:19 PM »

Jet boil (nothing beats a road side cup of tea), 100 mph tape (you will use at least once), toilet paper (have thanked the lord for this), all else covered I reckon.
"Be Thankful We're Not Getting All The Government We're Paying For"

michaelbmenaker

• Elite CVO Member
  • Ride hard, ride safe!
« Reply #44 on: September 10, 2011, 05:34:58 PM »

+1 on the TP

willyB

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #45 on: September 11, 2011, 06:17:08 AM »

It's 5:10 AM. Finishing my last cup of coffee here at the old homestead before we head out. We're packed and ready for our great adventure.

Thanks to all of you for your great suggestions! :2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21: My wife was especially happy to hear about the suggestion to bring TP.

I'll post the pictures when we return.

Oh! I still can't give up the Qt. of Oil. Maybe that comes from having a very old car many years ago that drank oil like water. :nixweiss:

Take care and NEVER FORGET!

Hawg

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 FLHXSE
« Reply #46 on: September 11, 2011, 07:41:46 AM »

If anyone is traveling w/o their extra fob - beware!  I was at home and tried to start my bike but the alarm kept going off.  Fob battery was only 6 mos. old, so it couldn't be that, right?  Wrong...fob battery had died.  I realized what a mess I'd be in if that happened 500 miles from home in the middle of nowhere at midnight.
Carry your manual that came with your bike, it has the proceedure on how to reset the alarm. I had to do this yesterday on a poker run. It is very simple if you have the manual.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2011, 07:47:02 AM by Hawg »
Hawg

FLHXSE2

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #47 on: September 11, 2011, 09:03:07 AM »

Carry your manual that came with your bike, it has the proceedure on how to reset the alarm. I had to do this yesterday on a poker run. It is very simple if you have the manual.

GREAT ADVISE!!!!!!! :)

Mano

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • ON

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2
« Reply #48 on: September 11, 2011, 09:07:08 AM »

Pack only half the clothes you will need. When you get half way into your trip, put the dirty clothes in a box and UPS it home (why carry dirty laundry on your bike). You will be buying new T-shirts along the way and you can stop at Wal-Mart and buy new/clean underware for the ride home.

Most of the places i stayed at this year had a washer and dryer at the end of the hall or near the ice machine. Wal-Mart loves me too. :2vrolijk_21:

mark

« Reply #49 on: September 11, 2011, 09:51:23 AM »

I always carry my manual on trips...but here's my luck...I'd be trying to read the manual at midnight, in a torrential rainfall, then my flashlight battery will die, rain will ruin the manual making it unreadable, on a Sunday, with no cell service, with the closest HD shop 100 mi. away...oh, and then I'd be surrounded by a pack of wolverines...

2harleys

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #50 on: September 11, 2011, 10:26:03 AM »

It is a lot easier to carry the small card in your billfold that comes in the back of the manual with those instructions. Everything else in the manual should already be known before the ride. And I doubt you would need the manual for capacity or oil change procedures on a trip. Just my opinion -- whatever that is worth. :confused5:

Buy early

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #51 on: September 11, 2011, 11:40:20 AM »

It's 5:10 AM. Finishing my last cup of coffee here at the old homestead before we head out. We're packed and ready for our great adventure.

Thanks to all of you for your great suggestions! :2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21: My wife was especially happy to hear about the suggestion to bring TP.

I'll post the pictures when we return.

Oh! I still can't give up the Qt. of Oil. Maybe that comes from having a very old car many years ago that drank oil like water. :nixweiss:

Take care and NEVER FORGET!

Expecting a good ride report when you return.

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #52 on: September 11, 2011, 11:46:58 AM »

It is a lot easier to carry the small card in your billfold that comes in the back of the manual with those instructions. Everything else in the manual should already be known before the ride. And I doubt you would need the manual for capacity or oil change procedures on a trip. Just my opinion -- whatever that is worth. :confused5:

It's even easier if you set a simple code and practice it in your driveway till you can do it blindfolded.   Naw....that's to easy. :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2:

Willy, lookin forward to that ride report.  Have a safe, rain free journey.

West Coast GTG   

willyB

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #53 on: September 12, 2011, 06:20:15 AM »

Hwy 70 West from St. Louis to Salina, KS....... Good weather & light traffic. Nothing to see but the highway in front of us. Although the Flint Hills area was a wide open hilly area. The first leg of the trip was completely uneventful.  Today Salina to Colorado Springs.

barefoot3zk5

• Elite CVO Member
  • I used to be a KRYPTO.. Now I'm 1 OF 1

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSEII Dragula 2/1 exh.. Performance Mach airbox..Metalsports 26" front wheel w/6piston singleside brake 13" rotor and matched 18" rear 200 tire..TTS tuner by DOC .. Woods cams and Hi comp pistons.. 600 LEDs hidden PLUS, SONY head unit and gauges all green LEDs to match,500watt ARC amp w/4 Focal6.5 spkrs,Install by Peter @SOUNDZ .. Yafee tag frame . chrome inner/outer primary. greeen gator seat/backrest ..major engine mods 125+ HP and powder coated heads/cyl and diamond cut. homemade rear air suspension
« Reply #54 on: September 12, 2011, 08:31:05 AM »

How bout updates as ya go .. to let us know what might have been overlooked .. LOL .. have a Great trip. :coolblue:

michaelbmenaker

• Elite CVO Member
  • Ride hard, ride safe!
« Reply #55 on: September 13, 2011, 07:47:14 PM »

Hwy 70 West from St. Louis to Salina, KS....... Good weather & light traffic. Nothing to see but the highway in front of us. Although the Flint Hills area was a wide open hilly area. The first leg of the trip was completely uneventful.  Today Salina to Colorado Springs.

WillyB, be careful out there...here's the most recent Denver forecast
In the mountains the rain/snow line will start out at 10,000 feet, but early Thursday morning, snow could be falling as low as 8,000 feet in the Front Range mountains with a couple of inches of accumulation.

willyB

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #56 on: September 14, 2011, 05:00:29 PM »

Sorry for not getting some updates out but the last hotel PC was not working.

Monday 9-12 (Salina to Colorado Springs)
* Jumped off 70 and took HWY 40 to 94 to 24. The 80 or so mile stretch on 94 was like owning my own piece of road. I don't think I saw but 2 cars the whole way. We stopped at a small pull over and just listened to the dead quite for about an hour.

Tuesday 9-13
* We spent the day dodging rain drops. Checked out Garden of the Gods and planned on riding up Pikes Peak but the weather was not good and a local rider said DO NOT go up there today. So we rode out to Cripple Creek. 9500 Feet, 40 degrees and rain. We were going to take the road from there to Canon City but a local cop stopped us and told us to not got that way because of weather and road conditions. So we came back to CS and took Hwy 115 to Canon City and the Royal Gorge. Nice road, great weather. We stopped in to see how close we could get to NORAD. When stopped when the sign read: "The use of deadly force is authorized"

Today Weds 9-14 (CS to Denver)
* Because of the bad weather up in the mountains we skipped out on our ride up to Vail. We stopped in to check out the Air Force Academy and then just took Hwy 83 north thru the high plains area. Cold, Windy, Cloudy, 45 degrees. The Chaple at the academy is pretty cool.

Tomorrow is the interview so no riding. Dinner with my wife's cousin tonight.

Hopefully the weather breaks before we head out to Wyoming on Friday morning.

1sharprdkg

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 FLHTCUSE4 Screamin' Eagle Ultra Classic
    • CVO2: Not CVO 2003 Road King Classic (Wife's) Sold her 99'RKC (Tinman)
« Reply #57 on: September 14, 2011, 08:44:29 PM »

Since I am to late for this trip. I would say throw a few different sizes of good gear drive hose clamps. especially the size that fits the oil cooler lines. (don't ask)
That quart of oil you have been carrying around won't do you any good if you can't keep it in the motor! Just sayin...
" Life is Tough, Life is Tougher if Your Stupid"... John Wayne.

willyB

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #58 on: September 18, 2011, 08:33:39 AM »

Okay, here's an update on the ride.

Thursday 9-15
* This day was dedicated for "the interview", no riding. That morning I shaved off my rally beard (you'll see).

Friday 9-16
* We headed out from Denver to Casper via Estes Park. Great ride thru the mountains. Weather was cool but they had some snow in the higher elevations so the view was pretty great. 14 years ago the wife and I spent our honeymoon hiking in Estes and found this great Italian rest. We've talked about their marinara sauce for years. We found it, new name (Sweet Basilico). I'm telling you, this sauce is the best I've had anywhere (including Italy!!!).

Saturday 9-17
* Left Casper heading to Jackson, WY. Wow! Can you say windy? Ran thru several miles of road construction thru Toweegee Pass. The ride took a lot longer but when we finally got into Jackson we stopped for a Filet Mignon dinner and called it a night.

Sunday 9-18
* Getting ready to ride up to Grand Teton NP to spend the day checking it out.

Hawg

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 FLHXSE
« Reply #59 on: September 18, 2011, 08:46:22 AM »

Thanks for the posting pictures are always a treat  :2vrolijk_21: Fall riding is my favorite  :2vrolijk_21:
Hawg

Wayne G

• Senior CVO Member
    • FL

« Reply #60 on: September 18, 2011, 11:41:18 AM »

AHHH.....just thinking about your ride makes me want to get on the Snot Rod (sorry stolen name from someone here) and take another loooong ride.  I think the layoff/recovery period is over after our 4900mi 11 day Sturgis trek.

Great updates thanks for the therapy  willyB

opee6969

• Senior CVO Member
  • RUMSPRINGA!!!
« Reply #61 on: September 18, 2011, 01:43:51 PM »

:worthless:
'01 FLSTF
'03 FLSTS
'05 K1200LT
'15 FLTRXS
'16 FLHTKSE

michaelbmenaker

• Elite CVO Member
  • Ride hard, ride safe!
« Reply #62 on: September 18, 2011, 01:55:32 PM »

With 5 pages of comments, you better tell us what you ended up packing...

Wayne G

• Senior CVO Member
    • FL

« Reply #63 on: September 18, 2011, 04:16:42 PM »

AHHH.....just thinking about your ride makes me want to get on the Snot Rod (sorry stolen name from someone here) and take another loooong ride.  I think the layoff/recovery period is over after our 4900mi 11 day Sturgis trek.

Great updates thanks for the therapy  willyB

OK pictures you get   Hows this for my alternative therapy

opee6969

• Senior CVO Member
  • RUMSPRINGA!!!
« Reply #64 on: September 19, 2011, 03:52:30 PM »

That reminds me...ummmmm.....I forget. lol

Opee

'01 FLSTF
'03 FLSTS
'05 K1200LT
'15 FLTRXS
'16 FLHTKSE

Wayne G

• Senior CVO Member
    • FL

« Reply #65 on: September 19, 2011, 03:57:32 PM »

Hows that for packin light!!!!
I cant post the next 2 pics

willyB

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #66 on: September 20, 2011, 10:14:57 AM »

Left Jackson, WY yesterday and rode thru Yellowstone. Definitely Yellowstone could be a multiday adventure. We're heading out of Cody this morning on our way to Spearfish for a couple of days. Then on to Souix Falls for a night before the LONG run back to Cedar Hill, MO (600+ miles).

Pictures will follow once we get back.

Buy early

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #67 on: September 20, 2011, 11:33:38 AM »

OK pictures you get   Hows this for my alternative therapy

Nice chaps! One of those women is your wife right?

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #68 on: September 20, 2011, 11:56:05 AM »

Left Jackson, WY yesterday and rode thru Yellowstone. Definitely Yellowstone could be a multiday adventure. We're heading out of Cody this morning on our way to Spearfish for a couple of days. Then on to Souix Falls for a night before the LONG run back to Cedar Hill, MO (600+ miles).

Pictures will follow once we get back.

We're lookin forward to this photo journal when you get it done.

Kind of similar route....at least the same areas that my wife and I rode a few years ago.....  http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=54514.0 

West Coast GTG   

willyB

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #69 on: September 24, 2011, 12:59:50 PM »

Well, we finally made it back last night, 9/23, around 7:30PM. GREAT trip. 4026.1 Miles.

Thanks for following our adventure and thanks for the strategic packing info. I forgot who said it but the Qt of oil, tools, tire plug kit etc.. were never used! Bike ran great the whole time with the exception of altitude HP loss and only 91 octane. First and last 93 octane was in Missouri. But after we stopped for dinner a few miles from home the bike is making a BAD sound. Sounds like it's on the lower left side. Sounds like a loud knock/rattle. I'm guessing rod bearing noise but could be something in the primary. It does not sound good. I'm a little afriad to ride it the 25 miles to the dealer.

Here goes a long run of photos from the trip.

1st up is day 1. Left the homestead at 7:00 AM on 9/11 in heavy fog and 58 degrees.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2011, 03:56:47 PM by willyB »

willyB

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #70 on: September 24, 2011, 01:03:16 PM »

:worthless:
Kansas border was the beginning of a very boring ride West. Nice temps around 70 degrees.

As my friends said "You've got to pay the piper"
« Last Edit: September 24, 2011, 03:57:13 PM by willyB »

willyB

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #71 on: September 24, 2011, 01:09:49 PM »

We spent the night is Salina, KS. We got an early start and turned off Hwy 70 onto Hwy 40 in Oakley, KS. This was a great section of road to Colorado Springs. It gave you the feel of the wide open grasslands from 100 years ago.

Here's the Wife and the machine at the Colorado border. Weather was still warm.

willyB

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #72 on: September 24, 2011, 01:14:17 PM »

We turned onto Hwy 94 in Colorado outside Aroya. If we saw one car between Hwy 70 and the outskirts of Colorado Springs we saw a lot. This section of road was pretty desolate.

willyB

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #73 on: September 24, 2011, 01:18:08 PM »

After 2 days of 400+ miles we settled in to our hotel. My throttle hand demanded a pint of Daddy Cola.

Weather was still good, around 65 degrees. Note the beard. 2 days later it was trimmed nicely for the interview.

willyB

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #74 on: September 24, 2011, 01:21:02 PM »

The next day was the beginning of a change in our weather for the rest of the trip. Here we are at Garden of the Gods. No less than 10 seconds after this picture it started to rain.

willyB

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #75 on: September 24, 2011, 01:27:41 PM »

After Garden of the Gods we headed west on Hwy 24. We planned on riding to the top of Pike's Peak but bad weather suggested otherwise. So we continued on to Cripple Creek where the rain and 40 degree temps made for a real fun time. We ended up talking with one of Victor's (just down the road from Cripple Creek) finest about which road to take to the Royal Gorge. We had three choices, two of which we loose gravel roads, and the other had a road washout. So we decided to head back out of the mountains, not before stopping to warm up with a hot cup of Starbucks.

For those of you who have never been to Cripple Creek/Victor, well it's basically a casino and old mining town. I think every store must be a casino. Kinda pulls the fun out of seeing an old mining town.

willyB

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #76 on: September 24, 2011, 01:31:57 PM »

NORAD. What can you say? When it said "The Use of Deadly Force is Authorized" we decided that there must be some extra security. So we pushed on until another sign said basically stop, turn around and go home. Funny though when we stopped at that second unassuming sign a military security truck passed us by and waved.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2011, 03:58:32 PM by willyB »

willyB

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #77 on: September 24, 2011, 01:33:52 PM »

The day got better as we headed south to the Royal Gorge.

My wife is horrified of heights so getting her this close was amazing.

willyB

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #78 on: September 24, 2011, 01:37:28 PM »

That evening the weather turned to crap and with snow above 8000 feet and rain below we decided to cut our run from Colorado Springs to Vail to Denver short and just to a quick run north to Denver up Hwy 83. Good things because run was cold, cloudy and damp.

We did manage a stop at the Air Force Academy. The chaple interior is pretty awesome.

michaelbmenaker

• Elite CVO Member
  • Ride hard, ride safe!
« Reply #79 on: September 24, 2011, 01:41:27 PM »

Hope your engine noise turns out to be minor. Re: 91 octane. I forget how the physics works, but at altitude, anything over 91 is wasted. Hence 91 up here and 93 in the flatlands. You could run avgas and with stock compression, it wouldn't make a difference.

willyB

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #80 on: September 24, 2011, 01:42:10 PM »

After spending a couple nights in Denver for the interview and to have dinner with family we headed to the Peak to Peak Highway on Friday 9/16 which runs from Hwy 70 to Estes Park. Great Road! I highly recommend it.

You can tell the weather cleared up but the temps dropped. This was our first sight of snow so far.

willyB

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #81 on: September 24, 2011, 01:58:54 PM »

14 years ago we spent our honeymoon hiking Rocky Mountain National Park. While we were there we came across an incredible Italian rest owned by this gentleman from Mexico. For the past 14 years we've bragged about his marinara sauce to everyone we could. It is absolutely amazing!!!!!!!!!!! You could put this stuff on dirty and you'd think it's the best dish ever.

Once we got to Estes Park we could not find it. It used to be called Sweet Basil but after being sued by another Sweet Basil restaurant he changed the name to Sweet Basillico.

I'm telling you hear and now they have the best marinara sauce in the world! That's a big claim since I've been to Italy before.

Sweet Basilico in Estes Park, CO. Remember the name and place!

willyB

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #82 on: September 24, 2011, 02:03:02 PM »

There's not much to see between Cheyenne and Casper, WY. Wide open country, buttes and a highway that runs through it. After a long day from Denver to Casper we were ready for to get of the machine. Again my friends mantra kept crossing my mind "you've got to pay the piper"

willyB

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #83 on: September 24, 2011, 02:05:10 PM »

After leaving Casper on our way to Jackson, WY we decided to stop in Dubois, WY for a break. 4 hours of gusty cold winds deserved a shot at Whiskey Creek Saloon.

willyB

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #84 on: September 24, 2011, 02:08:56 PM »

After running through 20 miles of road construction with wet gravel we finally got our first glimse of the Grand Tetons. Or as the Frenchman who first saw them called them "Les Tres Tetons" (The Three Beasts)

willyB

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #85 on: September 24, 2011, 02:11:18 PM »

The next day. Sunrise on the Grand Tetons.

willyB

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #86 on: September 24, 2011, 02:13:53 PM »

With only one full day to see Grand Teton NP we tried to see everything we could. The next few posts are of this day.

Pictures do not do justice. This park is stunning.

This is Jenny Lake about 9:00 AM.

willyB

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #87 on: September 24, 2011, 02:16:59 PM »

Grand Teton black bear on Signal Moutain about 100 yards away. He kept looking at all the people on the hill and grazing on these little red berries.

willyB

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #88 on: September 24, 2011, 02:18:36 PM »

For those of you interested. This is marker #1 on Signal Moutain.

willyB

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #89 on: September 24, 2011, 02:20:59 PM »

This is OxBow Bend overlooking Mt. Moran about 2:00 PM. Again, pictures just don't capure the beauty.

willyB

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #90 on: September 24, 2011, 02:24:24 PM »

Not more than a quick shift to 2nd after the last picture we stopped to watch these two moose for about a half hour until a couple of idiots in a kiayak scared them back into the bush. Lucky for the idiots because the bulls can be quite aggressive.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2011, 03:59:48 PM by willyB »

willyB

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #91 on: September 24, 2011, 02:28:33 PM »

Of course Morman Row. You can tell from the sky that it was getting overcast and the temperature was dropping. From here we headed over to Teton Village in Jackson Hole to see how the rich folks lived.

willyB

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #92 on: September 24, 2011, 02:34:33 PM »

The next day we got a very early start from Jackson to Yellowstone. The combination of chaps, gloves, 2 shirts, down jacket, hooded sweatshirt, muffler and leather jacket became an all to familar wardrobe for several days. Temp in Jackson, WY that morning was 28 degrees.

But we had things to see. For those of you planning to go to Yellowstone you must plan to stay for at least a few days. This park is huge!!!!!!!!! Unfortunately for us time only allowed us a one day run through. (Jackson to Yellowstone to Cody).

willyB

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #93 on: September 24, 2011, 02:36:34 PM »

You can take a picture just about anywhere in Yellowstone and see things like this.

This was just an average pull off where we wanted to get out the map.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2011, 03:56:01 PM by willyB »

willyB

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #94 on: September 24, 2011, 02:39:18 PM »

Old Faithful.

Word of advice....Call ahead to see what schedule to things is on. It goes off every 94 minutes (+/- 10 minutes). Lucky for us we waited 94 minutes!!!!!

willyB

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #95 on: September 24, 2011, 02:48:53 PM »

Check out the not so blue sky in Mammoth Hot Springs. Oh and the big Elk standing 20 feet away for a dude on a loud scooter in the middle of the street.

Fortunately the bull Elk did not charge us but the weather sure did. Our plan was to head out to Bear Tooth Highway and then on to Cody for the night. After 20 or so miles of moderate rain and a few snow flurries we decided to skip BTH since the storm was heading that way. I was a little pissed about the weather but once we headed south in the park the weather cleared.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2011, 03:55:30 PM by willyB »

willyB

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #96 on: September 24, 2011, 02:54:03 PM »

The ride out the East Entrance through Sylvan Pass turned out to be a great ride. That is until we exited this tunnel into Cody.

The weather was good until this. Once through the tunnel the temp dropped 25 degrees and the wind was blowing 40 mph. It was pushing dark when we got to the hotel and with the cold air and gusty winds we just ordered in a pizza.

I really wanted to see the town of Cody. But it was our 14th Anniv (9/19).

willyB

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #97 on: September 24, 2011, 02:57:30 PM »

Girls!!!!!!

While us men might not be all in to our feelings and such, Do you think my wife to be watching the season opener of 2 1/2 Men on your 14th Anniv. might be considered a little mean don't ya think?
« Last Edit: September 24, 2011, 04:13:30 PM by willyB »

willyB

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #98 on: September 24, 2011, 03:03:20 PM »

The next morning we left Cody for Spearfish, SD. I was expecting another boring Wyoming ride but that changed quickly once we hit the Big Horn Mountains on into Buffalo, WY.

This is a shot of a pretty cool canyon run up through the pass. Little did we know that it had snowed the night before (edges of grass only) and was wicked cold. Wife refused to take pictures and I refused to stop.

After hitting I-90 East we were hit with 40-60 MPH wind gusts most of the way to Spearfish. Wow! Now that's some great riding weather.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2011, 04:01:28 PM by willyB »

willyB

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #99 on: September 24, 2011, 03:05:01 PM »

Devil's Tower but a nice cap onto the end of a miserable ride down I-90.

willyB

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #100 on: September 24, 2011, 03:07:35 PM »

Now I can say that I've been to Sturgis!

willyB

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #101 on: September 24, 2011, 03:12:07 PM »

My wife got a little lazy on the picture taking while in the Black Hills. I think that's because the roads are pretty cool to ride around on. We did Spearfish Canyon, Deadwood, Etc... You know, the whole kit and kaboodle.

It's amazing how a National Park compares to private enterprise (Crazy Horse). Mt. Rushmore is simply top notch.

willyB

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #102 on: September 24, 2011, 03:24:39 PM »

It's taken these backwoods, idiot, scam artists over 60 years to get this carved this far. Wow, all I can say is "BIG WASTE OF TIME".

Save your money and stop where I took this picture. It will save you time and money. Plus you won't have to ride away feeling like you just got scammed.

To give you an idea. You think at this point you're going to get close like Mt. Rushmore. But not some much. After you pay the scam money ($10/motorcycle) you ride up another 100 yards to the parking lot and the hillbilly circus tent. Cheesy museum, restaurant, gift shop.

Now you must pay another $4 per person to take you on a 1 mile bus ride to the base of the carving area.

It's no wonder why they've turned down any kind of federal funding to get the monument carved in a few short years. They're making $20+ Million a year right now and considering how far they still have to go that sounds like a few generations of family to make money for.

Consider this: Mt. Rushmore cost $10/motorcycle which give you a very clean park, close viewing and no hillbilly selling. Now Crazy Horse cost you $10/motorcycle plus $4 each for the close up bus ride.

I could go on and on. Please just don't go all the way in.

willyB

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #103 on: September 24, 2011, 03:27:49 PM »

Here's a better understanding of how much more of Crazy Horse is still left to be carved.

If it took 60+ years to get where they are today, how many more years do you think they can run the scam?
« Last Edit: September 24, 2011, 04:02:45 PM by willyB »

willyB

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #104 on: September 24, 2011, 03:32:08 PM »

Wall Drug.

Could....Not....Resist.

willyB

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #105 on: September 24, 2011, 03:36:34 PM »

Bad Land.

Great national park. The scale of the bad area surrounded by wide open grasslands is pretty striking. A must see National Park.

willyB

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #106 on: September 24, 2011, 03:37:48 PM »

Here's a better shot of the Bad Lands.

willyB

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #107 on: September 24, 2011, 03:41:08 PM »

Heading from the Bad Lands to Souix Falls my wife made me stop here because she was getting sore. Sissy Girl! We'll I didn't complain about the break either.

« Last Edit: September 24, 2011, 04:03:50 PM by willyB »

willyB

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #108 on: September 24, 2011, 03:44:30 PM »

After being detoured through central Iowa (I-29 closed South of Council Bluffs) we finally made it home safe and sound after a 650 + mile day.

Again, thanks for all the packing input. I hope you enjoyed the ride.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2011, 04:04:21 PM by willyB »

Sledge

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHTCUSE6 Black Ember, Rio Red
« Reply #109 on: September 24, 2011, 03:46:18 PM »

Nice trip and pics.
"I don't want a pickle, just want to ride on my motorsickle,
and I don't want to die, just want to ride on my motorcy...cle."
Arlo Guthrie

2harleys

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #110 on: September 24, 2011, 07:00:39 PM »

Did you bring back the quart of un-opened oil??   ::)  Sounds like a fun ride, although it looked a little chilly at times.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2011, 07:05:24 PM by 2harleys »

willyB

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #111 on: September 25, 2011, 09:25:15 PM »

Did you bring back the quart of un-opened oil??   ::)  Sounds like a fun ride, although it looked a little chilly at times.
Yes, the quart of un-opened oil returned and is back on the shelf.

JT OZY

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #112 on: September 26, 2011, 12:11:29 AM »

Amazing trip Willy,pity it was so bloody cold and full credit to your wife for hanging in there.
Thanks for the pics.
I intend to ride for ever
So far so good

Buy early

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #113 on: September 26, 2011, 11:23:22 AM »

Looks like you had a great time. Thanks for sharing!

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #114 on: September 27, 2011, 06:15:30 PM »

Enjoyed the trip.  Thanks for sharing.  spyder

AZ Sparky

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2 in Kryptonite/Black
« Reply #115 on: September 28, 2011, 07:03:42 PM »

Great job on getting back to us with pics.

Now for a final bit input/feedback from you:

What would you leave behind next time?

What would you take that didn't make the trip?

Sparky
Sparky

lpekim

• CVO1: 2011 Black Diamond and Crimson
« Reply #116 on: September 28, 2011, 08:58:18 PM »

Looks like you are livin the dream what a great trip thanks for sharing

BALIS

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #117 on: September 29, 2011, 04:45:47 AM »

Great report.
Thanks for sharing.

willyB

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #118 on: September 29, 2011, 09:21:30 AM »

Great job on getting back to us with pics.

Now for a final bit input/feedback from you:

What would you leave behind next time?

What would you take that didn't make the trip?

Sparky
Well I ended up having plenty of room even after packing a qt of oil, tools, flashlight, tire plug kit, small/mini air compressor, extra bungy cord and an air gauge. Since I never used them, except for the air gauge, I could have probably left it all behind. But there were several sections of this ride where we were out in the middle of nowhere. Given that and the fact that I had plenty of room I'm betting I'd take it all again just to be safe. You just never know. Ya know?

9 1/2 Beers

• Blu
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2009 FLHTCUSE4 (ZIGGY) Stardust Silver / Twilight Blue
    • CVO2: 2022 Ultra Limited FLHTK Reef Blue / Vivid Black
« Reply #119 on: September 29, 2011, 12:22:51 PM »

:2vrolijk_21:

All I can say is "Awesome"

What a great trip

Marty
"Let the road go on forever and the party never end "
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 8 [All]

Page created in 0.418 seconds with 21 queries.