Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]

Author Topic: From Chubby to Yaffee  (Read 4090 times)

CowboyBagger

• 1K CVO Member
  • Standing on the Corner!
    • AZ

• CVO1: FLHXSE3 Ruby Red/Typhoon Maroon
    • CVO2: FLTRKSEANV Heritage paint
From Chubby to Yaffee
« on: January 30, 2013, 12:51:27 AM »

The Wild One Chubby 575's are much better bars than stock, but I was still reaching down and was killing my back on long road trips.  I decided to try the Paul Yaffee Originals 12" Monkey Bagger Bars. 

They are definitely more difficult to install.  Much harder to pull the wires around the sharp corner.  In addition, you need to get new clutch and brake lines.  Both of these lines required bleeding which is also a PITA and messy

I was concerned, from threads that I've read, that the Zumo 665 would be blocked by the bars.  I purchased a swivel for the Zumo from Crutchfield that angled the Zumo where I pretty much have full visibility.

I just finished the install, so I haven't had a chance to try them out.  Sitting on the bike, my arms are now level which should help my back.  I also thought they looked pretty good.

Here are a few pics.

Cowboy
From an ocean tide, to an 8 second ride! Life is a ride, so make it a good one.

CowboyBagger

• 1K CVO Member
    • AZ

Re: From Chubby to Yaffee
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2013, 12:54:54 AM »

Another

CowboyBagger

• 1K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2013, 12:57:41 AM »

Another

CowboyBagger

• 1K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2013, 01:01:47 AM »

Final

D-N-D

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • PA

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTKSE Limited / Moonlight Blue & Deep Sea Blue
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2013, 06:30:31 AM »

Looks good Brother !!!! Hope it works out and the back feels better with the new bars.
DND

Cvostu

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 Whiskey Neat road glide custom
    • CVO2: 2019 Mako Shark Fade road glide custom
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2013, 06:38:04 AM »

They really do look great on your bike. Enjoy them. Hope it does the trick with the back.  :2vrolijk_21:

LovemyCVOgirl

• Four wheels move the body.... Two wheels move the soul.
  • SMF Moderator
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • Give me a switchback any day!

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE Ruby Red/Typhoon Maroon
    • CVO2: 2015 Toyota Tundra 4X4 SR5 TRD 5.7L V8
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2013, 07:19:58 AM »

That looks really good.  Please let us know what you think when you get to put some miles on them.
Some days you're a bug, some days you're a windshield.

CowboyBagger

• 1K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2013, 12:57:32 PM »

Thanks Everyone! 

For anyone thinking of doing the Yaffee 12" bars.  I read on several forums that with 12" bars that I needed to go with +6 for both the clutch and brake lines.  I couldn't find any information on what the stock lines length is for a starting point.  I purchased the clutch line and the brake line from Magnum Shielding.  They new what length brake line that I needed, but they didn't know what the stock clutch line length is, so I guessed and guessed correctly.  The clutch line was 72" long and the brake line comes from them in two sections, one is 49" and the other is 19".  They said that they do this in case you decide to go with taller bars, you only need to buy the shorter line.

I purchased a mighty vac to bleed the lines which I might ad is a less than desireable system.  A big syringe I think would have actually worked better.  If I don't find a better bleed kit, I'll probably take it to the stealer next spring to have both bled.  I do have the abs light on.

Cowboy

krypto2011

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2013, 06:39:13 PM »

I just did this same upgrade but did 10" Yaffe. I will have to agree with you on the pita part of pulling the wires through that first bend in the bars. As far a bleeding, I went to the local NAPA and bought 2 feet of 1/4" clear plastic flexible hose. I pushed one end of the line over the bleeder and it fits tight and is sealed very well so there is no leak. I removed the reservoir cover and filled them. I opened the bleeder and placed the other end of the hose in a glass jar. I allowed the fluid to run untill I could see no air bubbles coming out of the bleeder, adding fluid to the reservoir to keep it full while is was "gravity" bleeding. When no air was present I closed the bleeder, topped off the reservoir and capped it. I pumped the brake lever and held it and opened the bleeder. No air came out of the bleeder with the hose on. I repeated on the other caliper and then on the clutch. The clutch feels good and works perfect as do the brakes. Simple and cost me like 3 bucks for the hose!! As far as ABS light, mine has always stayed on until I get the bike up to like 5 mph. Is yours still on after 5 mph???
2011 SESG Krypto/Black Diamond, SE 259e cams, SE 5.3 injectors, HPI 58mm throttle body, heads ported and polished, V&H power duals, CFR mufflers, SE race tuner, SE high flow air filter

Tannehill Kid

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 Street Glide
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2013, 08:50:54 PM »

Bars look good.

CowboyBagger

• 1K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2013, 09:17:46 PM »

I just did this same upgrade but did 10" Yaffe. I will have to agree with you on the pita part of pulling the wires through that first bend in the bars. As far a bleeding, I went to the local NAPA and bought 2 feet of 1/4" clear plastic flexible hose. I pushed one end of the line over the bleeder and it fits tight and is sealed very well so there is no leak. I removed the reservoir cover and filled them. I opened the bleeder and placed the other end of the hose in a glass jar. I allowed the fluid to run untill I could see no air bubbles coming out of the bleeder, adding fluid to the reservoir to keep it full while is was "gravity" bleeding. When no air was present I closed the bleeder, topped off the reservoir and capped it. I pumped the brake lever and held it and opened the bleeder. No air came out of the bleeder with the hose on. I repeated on the other caliper and then on the clutch. The clutch feels good and works perfect as do the brakes. Simple and cost me like 3 bucks for the hose!! As far as ABS light, mine has always stayed on until I get the bike up to like 5 mph. Is yours still on after 5 mph???

Blizzard here today, so it will be awhile before I get a chance to try them out.  Hopefully, I'll have as good of luck with the bleed as you did.

Cowboy

Fiberguy

• Junior CVO Member
  • Carpe Diem...or step aside and let me Carpe Diem!

• CVO1: 2013 Road King, 110th, #90
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2013, 09:38:04 PM »

Very Nice Look!  The bars clearly focus the attention to that area, and the rest of the bike is incredibly sharp as well.  Thanks for the info.  I was thinking of adding a few inches in grip height because I'm 5' 14", and the stock bars feel a hair too low.  The stock bars have worked so far during most of my short hops, but hoping for some longer rides this year.

I pull Telecom cable, would this work: drop a beaded chain (from a ceiling fan) thru the bars, tape a parachute twine to that and pull that thru with the chain, then pull the wires thru using the stronger twine.  There is also cable pulling lube sold in the electrical department of Home Depot/Lowe's.
As you grow older, you'll find the only things you regret are the things you didn't do.  ~Zachary Scott

CowboyBagger

• 1K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2013, 12:22:35 AM »

I used a small chain from Home Depot, a little larger than ceiling fan chain.  I used it to pull a small cable that I taped to the lines with electrical tape.   Then I used silicone spray for a lube, BIG MISTAKE!  The silicone spray started breaking down the electrical tape and I ended up with a big black sticky mess.  Twine would be better to tape to than cable and gel better than silicone.  I pulled the TBW lines thru first then pulled and pushed the larger bundle through.

Stock lines work fine with 10" bars, 12" bars and larger requires longer lines.  I've read that with 12" bars you can keep the fairing mounted mirrors.  I'm not too sure if that is accurate.  It looks to me that I only have partial visibility.  I'll put some miles on before I give up on my fairing mirrors.

Cowboy

CowboyBagger

• 1K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2013, 12:33:55 AM »

Here is a pic of the 575's taken last summer.  Sure looks like the Yaffee's are more than 2" taller.

Cowboy

Cvostu

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 Whiskey Neat road glide custom
    • CVO2: 2019 Mako Shark Fade road glide custom
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2013, 07:10:27 AM »

How are the fairing mt mirrors with the new bars?    Nothing in the way?

LovemyCVOgirl

• Four wheels move the body.... Two wheels move the soul.
  • SMF Moderator
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • Give me a switchback any day!

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE Ruby Red/Typhoon Maroon
    • CVO2: 2015 Toyota Tundra 4X4 SR5 TRD 5.7L V8
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2013, 07:45:39 AM »

Very Nice Look!  The bars clearly focus the attention to that area, and the rest of the bike is incredibly sharp as well.  Thanks for the info.  I was thinking of adding a few inches in grip height because I'm 5' 14", and the stock bars feel a hair too low.  The stock bars have worked so far during most of my short hops, but hoping for some longer rides this year.

I pull Telecom cable, would this work: drop a beaded chain (from a ceiling fan) thru the bars, tape a parachute twine to that and pull that thru with the chain, then pull the wires thru using the stronger twine.  There is also cable pulling lube sold in the electrical department of Home Depot/Lowe's.

I've never heard of 5' 14".  :nixweiss:  Maybe 6' 2".  :P
Some days you're a bug, some days you're a windshield.

CowboyBagger

• 1K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2013, 10:45:56 AM »

How are the fairing mt mirrors with the new bars?    Nothing in the way?

Before I decided on these bars, I read on several different forums that with 10" bars the fairing mounted mirrors are useless but with 12" bars the fairing mounted mirrors were fine.  Just sitting on the bike in the garage, it appears that I only have partial visibility.  I'm going to put some miles on them before I decide.

Cowboy

Texas Fat Boy

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2013, 10:50:18 AM »

Here is a pic of the 575's taken last summer.  Sure looks like the Yaffee's are more than 2" taller.

Cowboy

I'm 6' and here are my 575's on my 2009 (and they are rasied as high as they will go)

Here are my 12" krome Werks (and I have them pulled back slightly)

CowboyBagger

• 1K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2013, 11:06:15 AM »

I'm 6' and here are my 575's on my 2009 (and they are rasied as high as they will go)

Here are my 12" krome Werks (and I have them pulled back slightly)

Yep, that's the same thing that I noticed.  They sure look and feel more than 2 inches taller than the 575's.  My Yaffee's are slightly pulled back to make room for the angled Zumo and that's also where they felt the best.

SG Racer

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 SESG2, Black Diamond/ Inferno Orange
    • CVO2: 2005 SEEG, Cherry
« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2013, 09:36:13 AM »

Man that looks good. I got the same bars and I think they are great. No back pain for me. I have long arms, but I am 5'10". I can use my my fairing mirrors just fine. It does take some getting used to.
 You said your ABS light is on? I don't think it will go off till you move and get up to a certain mph. I may be wrong on that.
 Anyway, good job. They are a pain to install.
 Ray
« Last Edit: February 02, 2013, 11:46:53 PM by sgracer »
D&D Fat Cat W/Ghost pipe
Custom leather seat
12" Yaffe Monkey Bagger Bars
SEPST
93Hp, 116Tq

Jswerve

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE3
« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2013, 04:49:34 PM »

Man that loks good. I got the same bars and I think they are great. No back pain for me. I have long arms, but I am 5'10". I can use my my fairing mirrors just fine. It does take some getting used to.
 You said your ABS light is on? I don't think it will go off till you move and get up to a certain mph. I may be wrong on that.
 Anyway, good job. They are a pain to install.
 Ray
ABS light flashes until you get over 3mph

2012 FLHXSE3 Ruby Red/Typhoon Maroon
|Color Matched Detachable Tour Pak | Fuelmoto PV | Dragos 580 cams | Dragula 2-1/Ghost Pipe | Cyclesmith 13's | Sachs heads | Yaffe Stealth III License Plate Frame| Long Angled High

CVO Brian

• Full CVO Member
  • Baggers- Not just for grandpa anymore

• CVO1: 2012 CVO Ultra Orange and Black
« Reply #21 on: February 01, 2013, 05:29:55 PM »

When I did my YAffe on my Street Glide. The ABS light stayed on until I took it to the dealer and they bled them again and used something to by pass the 5mph thing. Not sure if they corrected this on the newer bikes. Hopefully so. Yaffe bars are awesome but yes PITA and I wasnt sure how they would look on an Ultra so I opted for the 578's.
Looks great, god job on the install
V&H True Duals
Rinehart 4" Chrome Pipes
Trucklite ph 7 w/ passing lamps
Pollished front rotors
SE Race Tuner
SE Chisel Air Cleaner
Wild1 Chubby 578 10" Bars
TP Removal System
CVO SG Stretch Bags and Rear Fender
CVO SG 110 Derby Cover

willyB

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #22 on: February 01, 2013, 06:01:12 PM »

5'-8" tall and I love my 12" Yafee bars!

Pain in the old backside to install but well worth it.
GMR 577 Cams, S & S Lifters, S & S Pushrods, V&H Headers, Rinehart 4” Slipons, TTS Tuner, 12" Yaffee Monkey Bars, Color Matched Chopped Tour Pak (510 HP and 763 TQ +/-)

Jswerve

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #23 on: February 01, 2013, 08:23:49 PM »

5'-8" tall and I love my 12" Yafee bars!

Pain in the old backside to install but well worth it.
I wonder if the 12's would be ok for me I am only 5'6".

|Color Matched Detachable Tour Pak | Fuelmoto PV | Dragos 580 cams | Dragula 2-1/Ghost Pipe | Cyclesmith 13's | Sachs heads | Yaffe Stealth III License Plate Frame| Long Angled High

willyB

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #24 on: February 01, 2013, 08:57:00 PM »

Depends how you like to ride. At 5'-8" I'm fairly stretched out but I like it that way. Plus I have them all the way forward.

Somebody asked about seeing out of the fairing mirrors with the 12" bars. No problem at all.
GMR 577 Cams, S & S Lifters, S & S Pushrods, V&H Headers, Rinehart 4” Slipons, TTS Tuner, 12" Yaffee Monkey Bars, Color Matched Chopped Tour Pak (510 HP and 763 TQ +/-)

krypto2011

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #25 on: February 01, 2013, 08:57:40 PM »

I am 5'6" and just did 10". I have the fairing mounted mirrors with the spots in them. I have not been able to ride yet because of NH weather, but in the shop they feel good and the mirrors seem usable. I hate the thought of having to remove the fairing mirrors but time will tell!!
2011 SESG Krypto/Black Diamond, SE 259e cams, SE 5.3 injectors, HPI 58mm throttle body, heads ported and polished, V&H power duals, CFR mufflers, SE race tuner, SE high flow air filter

Cat Eye

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2015 FLHXSE
« Reply #26 on: February 02, 2013, 12:35:16 PM »

The Wild One Chubby 575's are much better bars than stock, but I was still reaching down and was killing my back on long road trips.  I decided to try the Paul Yaffee Originals 12" Monkey Bagger Bars.  

They are definitely more difficult to install.  Much harder to pull the wires around the sharp corner.  In addition, you need to get new clutch and brake lines.  Both of these lines required bleeding which is also a PITA and messy

I was concerned, from threads that I've read, that the Zumo 665 would be blocked by the bars.  I purchased a swivel for the Zumo from Crutchfield that angled the Zumo where I pretty much have full visibility.

I just finished the install, so I haven't had a chance to try them out.  Sitting on the bike, my arms are now level which should help my back.  I also thought they looked pretty good.

Here are a few pics.

Cowboy

Cowboy,

Look great....I was wondering what was the part number for the GPS swivel you used.

Thanks.

Cat
« Last Edit: February 02, 2013, 12:37:40 PM by Cat Eyes »

CowboyBagger

• 1K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #27 on: February 02, 2013, 12:46:16 PM »

I ordered the swivel from Crutchfield.  It is called the Pro Fit E-Z-1026 and the price was 14.99 which includes tax and shipping.

Cowboy

Jswerve

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #28 on: February 02, 2013, 04:51:04 PM »

I am 5'6" and just did 10". I have the fairing mounted mirrors with the spots in them. I have not been able to ride yet because of NH weather, but in the shop they feel good and the mirrors seem usable. I hate the thought of having to remove the fairing mirrors but time will tell!!
Are you reaching up, down, or about even with your shoulders? Do you have them rolled back?

krypto2011

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #29 on: February 02, 2013, 07:48:32 PM »

Are you reaching up, down, or about even with your shoulders? Do you have them rolled back?

I rolled them as far forward as they would go without touching the fairing. My arms are very close to level, if anything my hands may be an inch or two lower than my shoulders.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2013, 07:50:37 PM by krypto2011 »

Jswerve

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #30 on: February 02, 2013, 10:01:43 PM »

I rolled them as far forward as they would go without touching the fairing. My arms are very close to level, if anything my hands may be an inch or two lower than my shoulders.
Wow that sounds perfect I am 5'6" too. I put sweepers on gonna run with them all season if I don't like em the Yaffes are on my list of maybes

willyB

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #31 on: February 03, 2013, 09:22:10 AM »

My 12" Yaffees

willyB

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #32 on: February 03, 2013, 09:26:03 AM »

On the beach

CowboyBagger

• 1K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #33 on: February 10, 2013, 06:31:30 PM »

Before I decided on these bars, I read on several different forums that with 10" bars the fairing mounted mirrors are useless but with 12" bars the fairing mounted mirrors were fine.  Just sitting on the bike in the garage, it appears that I only have partial visibility.  I'm going to put some miles on them before I decide.

Cowboy

Took a 100 mile ride yesterday.  It was a little cold and windy, but not too bad, I really wanted to try out these new bars.  The bars feel great, perfect height and I like the wrist angle better than the 575's.  The only drawback is I'm going to need handle bar mounted mirrors.  It looks to me that if the bars are shoved as far forward as possible, then the fairing mounted mirrors would work fine.  I have mine slightly tilted back for the Zumo and that's where they feel the best.  I can only see out of about 1/8th of the mirror.  I want to go with some very low profile mirrors and I'm looking for suggestions and opinions.  Maybe Yaffee, I saw some Arlen Ness mirrors in selling that looked like they would be hard to see with.  Your thoughts are appreciated.

Cowboy

CVO Brian

• Full CVO Member
  • Baggers- Not just for grandpa anymore

• CVO1: 2012 CVO Ultra Orange and Black
« Reply #34 on: February 11, 2013, 09:42:20 AM »

DO an e-bay search brother. There are some really cool handle bar mirrors out there. Look in my garage at my Green Street Glide with Yaffe's. I got those mirrors for 40.00 at BK Rider .com Yaffe wants 100.00 and they come in chrome and match the angle of the Yaffe bars perfect.
V&H True Duals
Rinehart 4" Chrome Pipes
Trucklite ph 7 w/ passing lamps
Pollished front rotors
SE Race Tuner
SE Chisel Air Cleaner
Wild1 Chubby 578 10" Bars
TP Removal System
CVO SG Stretch Bags and Rear Fender
CVO SG 110 Derby Cover
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]

Page created in 0.234 seconds with 21 queries.