Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All

Author Topic: New SG is very hot  (Read 8598 times)

Buy early

• 5k CVO Member
  • My future if I were Benjamin Button

• CVO1: 2001 FXDWG2 Switchblade - The Beast
    • CVO2: 2004 FXSTDSE2 Deuce - Beauty
Re: New SG is very hot
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2013, 09:09:07 AM »

Congrats on the new scoot!

Texas Fat Boy

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2013, 11:41:25 AM »

I know what you mean about the heat.
I changed the headers out to V&Hs Duels: I didn't notice much improvement.
I then had the bike tuned on a dyno with the Screamin' Eagle tuner: I didn't notice much improvement.
I change the mufflers to 4" Rineharts because the tuner said the stock mufflers were very restrictive: I didn't notice much improvement.

I then installed the Full Sac X-Pipe header http://www.fullsac.com/x-pipe.html : I noticed some major improvement with the heat
(I did retune on a dyno with the new headers)

I then went with the 2" baffles from Full Sac in the stock mufflers because the Rineharts were 2 1/4" baffle and a little loud for my old ears
No change in heat, it was still a lot better but still noticeable.

I then installed Wards Parts head cooling fans http://www.wardspartswerks.com/ : I have noticed even more major improvement with the heat

So I do recommend Fullsac system and the Wards Parts fans.

hbens

• Full CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 2004 FLHTCSE Candy Cobalt/Starlight Black (Sold)
    • CVO2: 2012 SESG Ruby Red/Typhoon Maroon
« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2013, 02:18:12 PM »

Lauren,

I put highway pegs on my bike low enough that my heel can rest on the foot board and my toes are on the highway peg. This moves my legs out some into the breeze and my toe can easily swing back to hit the brake. Kind of like driving a car going from the gas to the brakes. If I didn't my legs would fry. I have a Dragula 2/1 pipe that comes out quite far and heats up the back of my right thigh when I'm in slow and go traffic.

So far you've gotten the advice I would have given you. Everyone mentioned above has a good reputation.
Jamie at FuelMoto is also good to work with.

Awesome bike isn't it?!

Hank
« Last Edit: March 21, 2013, 02:21:40 PM by hbens »
Motorcycling is not, of itself, inherently dangerous. It is, however, extremely unforgiving of inattention, ignorance, incompetence, or stupidity!

Dragula 2 into 1, S&S 640 EZ start cams pistons (10.8 compression) flywheel and Timken bearing, Vee Twin Racing Stage IV ported heads, K&N air cleaner, Power Vision with WBO2 auto tuner, king tour pak, solo & two up mounts, pass. floor boards, Headwinds spot/turn signal lights, zumo 660 GPS, ssaddlebag guard & pouches, Progress Suspension cartridg

ffltjeff

• Senior CVO Member
  • 2013 FLHTCUSE8
    • NE

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE8
« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2013, 02:37:33 PM »

Lauren I am sure that by now you are wondering what did I get into.  I bought a very expensive bike and now I have to spend even more money to make it rideable.   The 110 is a big air cooled motor that does generate lots of heat.  The great thing about this site is there are many very knowledgeable people on here that will provide information/options to address the heat issue.   I personally do not have the system but it seems Fulsac is a good lower cost option.    Do what you can when you can and enjoy that beautiful new bike. 
2013 FLHTCUSE8
V&H Power Duals, V&H Monster Ovals, SERT
Progressive 444 shocks, Progressive Cartridge Fork Kit
Windsplitter windshield

Mano

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • ON

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2
« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2013, 08:50:08 PM »

Thats very dangerous! It likely needs to be power bled on the Digital Technician... ABS brakes do not deal well with any air in the lines at all.

When I had the recall done on the rear brake switch defect, it came back spongy. I had to have them power bleed the rear brake to get it working properly again.

Ken

Same with me too. As I was about to exit the dealership I almost went into on coming traffic. :o

Mano

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • ON

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2
« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2013, 08:54:12 PM »

I agree with all and the exhaust. I too went with the Fullsac 2" cores but what helps me from having my legs fry is that I wear the Harley Cowboy Boots. That extra couple of inches of leather really helps.

North Georgia Hawg

• HoneyBadger Don't Give a CHIT...
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • I HATE WINTER!!!

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
    • CVO2: 2009 Chevy Avalanche LTZ Inferno Orange
    • CVO3: 2001 Ebbtide Mystique 2300: 8-ch 2000 watt audio system, two 12" Kicker subs
« Reply #21 on: March 22, 2013, 10:28:31 AM »

I then installed Wards Parts head cooling fans http://www.wardspartswerks.com/ : I have noticed even more major improvement with the heat

So I do recommend Fullsac system and the Wards Parts fans.

+1 on the Wards Parts Works cooling fans! I run those too, with the automatic heat switch.

I didn't want to overwhelm poor Lauren so quickly, but the WPW cooling fans are great! Jason developed a real winner with those.

Ken
« Last Edit: March 22, 2013, 10:57:41 AM by North Georgia Hawg »

HoneyBadger Don't Care...

TD AK-20s | Drago's S/C/S-4 | SE 259Es | Feuling 8015/7060/Rods | Black Ops Lifters
Cometics | Big Sucker 2 | Energy One +1 Clutch Pack | Hayden BT07 | ClutchWIZ
WPW Fans | TL P7 LEDs/Aux | Dynamic Ringz | Tour Pak | WO 575s | RT 665
Corbin DualTour | BAH Flush Front Axle | Chrome Calipers
The Wizard's Tune

lauren

« Reply #22 on: March 22, 2013, 07:43:28 PM »

It does seem like it's going to keep costing me money!

We followed the driver with my bike on his trailer back to the dealership, they bled the brakes and that's now working, topped it up with 2 quarts of oil (checked that this morning and it was low), and they may have done something with the clutch because it's a little easier.

Rode home 25 miles, it's effortless to drive, I look down at the speedo and realize I'm doing almost 90mph.
2012 FLHX SE3
2012 Heritage Classic

lilcoot

• Elite CVO Member
  • Scaramoosh! Scaramoosh! Can you do the Fandango?

• CVO1: '13 FLTCUSE8
« Reply #23 on: March 22, 2013, 10:17:14 PM »

+1 on the Wards Parts Works cooling fans! I run those too, with the automatic heat switch.

I didn't want to overwhelm poor Lauren so quickly, but the WPW cooling fans are great! Jason developed a real winner with those.

Ken

Ken, were you able to get those fans on without cutting that flame horn cover?  I have the skull horn cover from MetalArts, and was wondering if there would be space with those bigger covers.  The granite finish looks really good.  I was thinking about the chrome fans, but yours look great.  At what temp do you have the fans come on?

Lauren, I can't decide who's hotter, you or your new SG.  :love_1: 

stevehd

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #24 on: March 22, 2013, 10:31:57 PM »

Good to hear that the brake is working now so you can ride and start making a list of changes for comfort.

Something else that you might want to consider is the extenders to move your floorboards out between 1/2 to 1 inch.  It allows a little more air to circulate between the engine and exhaust and your legs.  Those high speed runs will keep plenty of air moving to help with the heat issues.
2012 Ruby Red and Typhoon Maroon FLHXSE-3
2014 Black Fxsb
2006 Big Dog Mastiff
1992 Yamaha FL-1200

North Georgia Hawg

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • I HATE WINTER!!!

• CVO3: 2001 Ebbtide Mystique 2300: 8-ch 2000 watt audio system, two 12" Kicker subs
« Reply #25 on: March 22, 2013, 10:38:35 PM »

Ken, were you able to get those fans on without cutting that flame horn cover?  I have the skull horn cover from MetalArts, and was wondering if there would be space with those bigger covers.  The granite finish looks really good.  I was thinking about the chrome fans, but yours look great.  At what temp do you have the fans come on?

Lauren, I can't decide who's hotter, you or your new SG.  :love_1: 

I didn't cut the flames cover, but I had to move the whole horn out with a longer bolt and a 1/2" spacer to clear the fan arms. It was kind of a PITA...

I like the Granite color. They blend in with the engine and are less visible than the chrome. Believe it or not, this is the one place I just didn't want chrome!

I haven't taken any temp measurements, so I don't know what temp they come on. I would like to add an engine temp gauge eventually, but there's nowhere to put it on this bike.

Ken

TD AK-20s | Drago's S/C/S-4 | SE 259Es | Feuling 8015/7060/Rods | Black Ops Lifters
The Wizard's Tune

North Georgia Hawg

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • I HATE WINTER!!!

« Reply #26 on: March 22, 2013, 10:43:56 PM »

Good to hear that the brake is working now so you can ride and start making a list of changes for comfort.

Something else that you might want to consider is the extenders to move your floorboards out between 1/2 to 1 inch.  It allows a little more air to circulate between the engine and exhaust and your legs.  Those high speed runs will keep plenty of air moving to help with the heat issues.

Oh yeah, the floorboard extenders are great, too! I installed those very early on. Had 'em on the old FLHTP, too.

Lauren - just look at my mods thread for all kinds of wonderful ideas about how to spend your entire retirement savings on your SESG...   :o

The Wizard's Tune

Green Screamer 2011

« Reply #27 on: April 02, 2013, 10:38:01 PM »

Hi Lauren,

I too did all the upgrades of PM air cleaner, SE259 cams,10.5/1 pistons, V&H headpipe and HO pipes, SE tuner and still ran hot. I sent my head pipe to Jet Hot coatings and had them ceramic coat it inside and out to 1500 degrees. Works wonderful! I can ride without chaps and my girlfriend can now wear shorts if she choses to. Check them out it will be worth your time.

Randy

dirtdobber

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #28 on: April 04, 2013, 02:43:27 PM »

Mine was the same way.
I ended up using a cat less header, PCV/AT. Now it is good.
Oh, some of the street glides came with this

If it has it take it off or may not get the heat down. That was the last thing I did.
It is on Road Glides but for some reason my Street Glide had them.
2012 CVO street glide, 2010 Dyna wide glide SS 106

RedDevil

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #747.2 It's all good

• CVO1: '11 FLTRUSE Gray Ghost
    • CVO2: '12 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
« Reply #29 on: April 04, 2013, 02:58:25 PM »

Mine was the same way.
I ended up using a cat less header, PCV/AT. Now it is good.
Oh, some of the street glides came with this
If it has it take it off or may not get the heat down. That was the last thing I did.
It is on Road Glides but for some reason my Street Glide had them.

Did you buy your SESG3 new or used?  I had not heard of the wind deflectors coming standard on any version of the '12 SESG.  :nixweiss:

:devil:

2012 FLHXSE3
Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All

Page created in 0.196 seconds with 21 queries.