Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Cam specs for tuning  (Read 4905 times)

HOGMIKE

• 1K CVO Member
  • 65 FLH 93" + others
Re: Cam specs for tuning
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2020, 01:46:02 PM »

If the seller refuses me the data, I find another seller. The cam guy has nothing special, he just wants you to think he does and not be able to learn it yourself by comparison. if another Cam company wants to duplicate they would buy a cam and do it. But I want the specs. They cam specs mean something to me, always study them extensively before buying and compare with similar, may be incorrect in the final decision but it is my decision not some big headed cam grinder.
This opinion has resulted in TTS loosing more than one sale that I know of, and I am not talking cams here. But like Twolane said at least three...

I have a turner that knows my expectations and my riding style.
He’s done my bikes for years and I’ve never been disappointed.
My engine builder I’ve used since the 80’s and he knows what I want, never disappointed there either.
I hope they both outlive me!

The cams can be made of wood, I don’t care. The end results are what I’m interested in.
JMHO
 8)
HOGMIKE

Sarhan

• Still a Live
  • Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus
« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2020, 04:10:17 AM »

I'm running a D&D header pipe & stock CVO mufflers with 2" fullsac baffles. Guess his cams are so much better than anyone else's he can't publish specs. Oh well guess that's his right to do so...

TTS175 can be considered as well both cams has flat curves, TTS wins in the TQ and Jims in the HP.. 
A short walk is tedious when no one walks with you, but a long journey is just like a few steps, when you walk with god & caring friends

2019CVONH

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NH

« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2021, 08:07:50 AM »

Is it necessary to have the cam specs on when doing a dyno.  I recently installed a upgraded cam on my M8 and took to place for tuning.  The tech said he needed the cam specs. I called the place and where I purchased cam and the person wouldn’t give me the required info. Cam came with some info on a card but didn’t have the IVO specs or IVC.  Using a TTS tuner.  The guy said if tuner knew how to tune he wouldn’t need the specs.
Here’s my take on no releasing this information. So let’s backup a step and let’s plan an engine build using this cylinder and these high dome pistons and OH! Let’s stroke the motor to throw in some real craziness. You NEED this cam information to know how the timing and compression is going to end up! When your planning cam timing and air flow and exhaust restrictions needed to get a certain amount of air into the cylinder, you need this info to plan a build. To not give this to you precludes you from using their cams in this example.

Just my two cents.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HOGMIKE

• 1K CVO Member
  • 65 FLH 93" + others
« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2021, 02:22:04 PM »

Here’s my take on no releasing this information. So let’s backup a step and let’s plan an engine build using this cylinder and these high dome pistons and OH! Let’s stroke the motor to throw in some real craziness. You NEED this cam information to know how the timing and compression is going to end up! When your planning cam timing and air flow and exhaust restrictions needed to get a certain amount of air into the cylinder, you need this info to plan a build. To not give this to you precludes you from using their cams in this example.

Just my two cents.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My experience was to set my goals first and what size of engine would get me there.
Went to 124” on my M8
Called TTS and talked to Steve C with the kit I was interested in, what bike it was on, my riding style and load.
He made a few suggestions on parts, recommended a cam AND local tuner nearby.
Tuner guy said it was easy to tune and came in nicely. Chart reflects the same.

Got my goals, bike runs verrrry nice.
We checked fitment, installed the package of parts, went by recommendation from the 2 suppliers that have done hundreds of packages like this, I’ll let the pros suggest parts as long as they understand MY goals.
I was on the fence with a tts250 or 200 cam, settling on the 200 to fit my style. Couldn’t be happier.
Completely different from my hot rod bike but what I needed for the long rides.
JMHO
 :soapbox:
HOGMIKE

HD Street Performance

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2021, 03:54:10 PM »

I know it rubs people the wrong way. This is why we have choices. If you don't want to buy a TTS cam then its ok there are many that publish specs. I did a build with a tts 250. I knew the compression needed, best fit as far as engine size, and lift gross and tdc after a call to Steve. This is a 126, was a 107. I just followed Steve's lead. Blip near 2000 is the tire slipping on the drum. Hitting 140tq right off idle does that.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2021, 03:57:07 PM by HD Street Performance »

HOGMIKE

• 1K CVO Member
  • 65 FLH 93" + others
« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2021, 06:56:20 PM »

I know it rubs people the wrong way. This is why we have choices. If you don't want to buy a TTS cam then its ok there are many that publish specs. I did a build with a tts 250. I knew the compression needed, best fit as far as engine size, and lift gross and tdc after a call to Steve. This is a 126, was a 107. I just followed Steve's lead. Blip near 2000 is the tire slipping on the drum. Hitting 140tq right off idle does that.

Yup, there ya go!
Nice flat torque curve also.
 :2vrolijk_21:
HOGMIKE
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.149 seconds with 24 queries.