CVO Technical > Twin Cam

CVO Twin Cooled Oil Cooler Project

(1/9) > >>

TRS300:

Hi folks,

So I had an idea to add an oil cooler to my 2015 CVO SG.  The bike has 54K miles and is working well but I do modifications and projects on a regular basis.  The twin cooling system has always caught my interest and I've always wondered if it really worked all that well at all.

Like most CVOs mine runs a bit to warm for my liking. Besides, the bike simply runs better when it's cooler.  I've done s number of mods to the bike. one such mod was to take control of the cooling fans.  They always came on way too late IMO so I have them starting now based on engine temp, not water temp.  Anyway, I'll not get into that now.

Before I dove too deep into the cooling system I wanted to try a project to install a water-cooled oil cooler.  The project was eye opening experience.  Anyone with a twin cooled Harley should read this paper.  If you are like me I strongly suggest you remove the thermostat from your twin cooled motor. In the end that change alone produced a huge reduction in engine temp.

Anyway, I placed all of the project notes, pictures and test results in the file at this link.  The PDF file is about 2.6mb so be careful if you not on wifi.

http://sta-bul.com/projects/OilCoolerProjectPhase1.pdf

Hope you enjoy and learn something like I did.

Best Regards,

Tim

Phreakyz:
If you want the bike to run cooler, buy a tuner and re-flash it.  The OE Calibrations are very lean in order to meet tough emission requirements which causes the high combustion chamber temps.     

I live in a state that does not emission test bikes.  I have removed my cat and then re-flashed my CVO Street Glide with a Vance and Hines FP3, now my fans barely ever run except for the most extreme stop and go traffic on HOT days.    Sometimes I run them manually just to make sure they don't freeze up from lack of use.    The comfort level is so much higher because your right side calf and thigh is no longer roasting...

Your bike will run better and cooler and you will be happier  :)

Mikey:

--- Quote from: TRS300 on August 25, 2018, 10:55:43 AM ---Hi folks,

So I had an idea to add an oil cooler to my 2015 CVO SG.  The bike has 54K miles and is working well but I do modifications and projects on a regular basis.  The twin cooling system has always caught my interest and I've always wondered if it really worked all that well at all.

Like most CVOs mine runs a bit to warm for my liking. Besides, the bike simply runs better when it's cooler.  I've done s number of mods to the bike. one such mod was to take control of the cooling fans.  They always came on way too late IMO so I have them starting now based on engine temp, not water temp. Anyway, I'll not get into that now.

Before I dove too deep into the cooling system I wanted to try a project to install a water-cooled oil cooler.  The project was eye opening experience.  Anyone with a twin cooled Harley should read this paper.  If you are like me I strongly suggest you remove the thermostat from your twin cooled motor. In the end that change alone produced a huge reduction in engine temp.

Anyway, I placed all of the project notes, pictures and test results in the file at this link.  The PDF file is about 2.6mb so be careful if you not on wifi.

http://sta-bul.com/projects/OilCoolerProjectPhase1.pdf

Hope you enjoy and learn something like I did.

Best Regards,

Tim

--- End quote ---

Wow interesting! I agree with the fans to late, mine seldom run at all. How did you take control of the fans?
Thanks,
Mikey

HD Street Performance:
Not to discount your efforts but head fans go a long way in cooling these motors down. The software, such as tts, allows tuning the factory fans without external control.

Mikey:

--- Quote from: HD Street Performance on August 25, 2018, 02:07:07 PM ---Not to discount your efforts but head fans go a long way in cooking these motors down. The software, such as tts, allows tuning the factory fans without external control.

--- End quote ---

Cooling?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version