Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: lifter noise on new rebuild  (Read 1849 times)

symfrog

lifter noise on new rebuild
« on: October 13, 2019, 12:33:42 AM »

My local dealer did a full rebuild on my 2013 110 motor. I also had them install bigger cams, as the cams went out and sent shrapnel through the motor. The day after I picked it up, I noticed it had lifter clatter when cold started, it only had 20 miles on the rebuild. I took it back to the dealer and they replaced the new lifters a second time. It still has lifter noise for 3 to 4 minutes after sitting for a few hours. I took it to another dealer and was told it was normal, due to the cams. new motor and cams, I think there shouldn't be any noise. I now have over 1,000 miles on the motor and the noise is there every morning and afternoon. Any thoughts or suggestions?

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

r0de_runr

• Elite CVO Member
  • Officer Scott Noller RIP, 01/04/1989 - 12/28/2017
    • TX

• CVO1: 2019 Ultra Limited 114
    • CVO2: 2022 Heritage 114
    • CVO3: SOLD: 2014 Ultra Limited; SOLD: 2012 CVO Street Glide, SOLD 2016 BMW
    • Wichitagreg
Re: lifter noise on new rebuild
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2019, 09:03:32 AM »

That is odd.  Lifters should not need to be pumped up after they sit for a while.
The 110 does have very strong valve springs, but still.  Something is not right.
Greg
formerly WichitaGreg
Lives in the TX Hill Country
AKA r0de_runr
Explore your VA Benefits:  http://1.usa.gov/1NPzKkM

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2019, 09:18:15 AM »

What lifters did they use, and what cams?  When you say rebuild, what if anything was done to the cylinders, pistons, heads, etc.?  Not every ticking noise is automatically a lifter noise.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

HD Street Performance

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2019, 09:37:44 AM »

And was this an out of frame overhaul with all appurtenances including the oil pan cleaned?

symfrog

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2019, 09:44:37 AM »

The dealer removed the engine and sent it to Milwaukee for a full rebuild, heads, pistons, cylinders, crankshaft, etc. all under an extended warranty. As the OE cams had to be replaced, I had them upgrade the cams to the SE259 and add the SE tuner. Now every start after sitting for an hour or more, I get lifter noise, which goes away after a few minutes and doesn't return until the next cold start.

HD Street Performance

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2019, 09:56:52 AM »

If the pan and oil cooler are not cleaned the shrapnel travels and nests in the lifters. The result is exactly what you described.

symfrog

« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2019, 10:29:25 AM »

Is there better lifters I can install? Its had an oil change at 1,000 miles and I would imagine any residual metal would have been caught by the oil filter. At this point two dealers, under the same ownership, have said the noise is normal.

HD Street Performance

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2019, 11:12:12 AM »

The lifters are the best filter. The better lifters such as Hylift / Topline will not help if contamination is traveling. Open up a filter and look

fastfreddy

• 1K CVO Member
  • MY CVO
    • IA

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE traded
    • CVO2: 2016 FLTRUSE
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2019, 11:20:13 AM »

The lifters are the best filter. The better lifters such as Hylift / Topline will not help if contamination is traveling. Open up a filter and look
  EXACTLY what is said here... the question of the oil pan and cooler have to be answered, then you can look to other possible causes  :nixweiss:
SERGU aka the RENTAL ... never home & always broke...Thnx FF

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2019, 11:35:55 AM »

Is there better lifters I can install? Its had an oil change at 1,000 miles and I would imagine any residual metal would have been caught by the oil filter. At this point two dealers, under the same ownership, have said the noise is normal.

Harley and it's dealers are famous for calling all sorts of things "normal" when they are in fact not acceptable.  Think of it this way; a retailer with a huge supply of seriously out-of-date milk responds to your complaint about the carton of sour milk you bought by saying the taste is "normal".  He would be right, it is normal for anything in that big supply of old milk to taste bad.  However, it is not acceptable.  Dealerships have learned over the years it is much easier and cheaper to blow people off with BS than it is to hire fully competent technicians who are then instructed to actually check out and verify complaints.  After all, the MoCo itself does the same thing, setting a fine example for their dealers.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

symfrog

« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2019, 12:34:33 PM »

I have lost complete confidence in both dealerships. When I initially got the bike back, the next day it died in an intersection and I had it towed home only to discover they didn't plug in the fuel pump harness all the way and it came apart. Also had a fuel pressure issue which ended up being they forgot to tighten up a connection on the fuel pump. I'm concerned regarding changing things as the motor has a warranty with the rebuild.

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2005 Cherry FLHTCSE2 "Obsession"

• CVO1: 05 FLHTCSE2
    • Metal Dragon
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2019, 12:06:26 AM »

My local dealer did a full rebuild on my 2013 110 motor. I also had them install bigger cams, as the cams went out and sent shrapnel through the motor. The day after I picked it up, I noticed it had lifter clatter when cold started, it only had 20 miles on the rebuild. I took it back to the dealer and they replaced the new lifters a second time. It still has lifter noise for 3 to 4 minutes after sitting for a few hours. I took it to another dealer and was told it was normal, due to the cams. new motor and cams, I think there shouldn't be any noise. I now have over 1,000 miles on the motor and the noise is there every morning and afternoon. Any thoughts or suggestions?

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalkx

Assuming they did a thorough decontamination of the oilpan, cooler and lines  it would be unlikely that a second set of lifters is the source of the noise.
If they actually did replace the lifters and the noise is still there on cold start my thoughts would be that the piston to cylinder clearances are too loose. What happens is as heat builds in the piston it expands and quiets down.

Page created in 0.154 seconds with 21 queries.