Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]  All

Author Topic: Crankshaft Bearing Upgrade  (Read 9123 times)

Dave

• Junior CVO Member
  • Head out on the highway, lookin for adventure.....
Re: Crankshaft Bearing Upgrade
« Reply #60 on: January 18, 2006, 03:25:50 PM »

I went ahead and purchased the GP bearing support but have not put it on yet as the compensator is eliminated by this installation.  Does anyone care to share their feelings on this?  Droc?

Thanks!

Dave
dkm

d-rock

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #61 on: January 18, 2006, 10:38:12 PM »

dave
just put it in looks and fits great. no test ride til spring. the new comp nut does eliminate the the metal plate, but that is what came loose and ruined my crank at 3000mi. so i don't mind it gone. I guess I'll have to wait and see.
113 inch S.E.
The parts list will never be put in writing :)

Dave

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #62 on: January 19, 2006, 04:18:11 PM »

Droc,

Thanks for the info!  I spent about 30 minutes on the phone with George P. at GP Designs and then with the fellow (sorry I don’t have his name with me) who invented the bearing support.  They did have another design in mind that retained the compensator or included another design of compensator but went with the current design instead.  I was told that they have had customers ride bikes with and without the compensator and many could not tell the difference.   The bottom line was if I installed the item and did not like it they said to send it back and they would give me a full refund.  Now, to my way of thinking businesses that work like that are rare indeed in these days. By the way in our discussion they made me aware of something I had not considered. Flex at the output shaft can also mean flex on the other end.  They stated they have seen broken gear drives on the cams of bikes that were ridden hard (abused ???) because the bending forces on the output shafts also cause changes in position of the pinion end of the crank.  Makes sense to me so I am going to go ahead and install the support and see how if feels.  If I have any strong opinion one way or another I will report back soon.  That is if these 50 and 60 degree temperatures hold otherwise it will be spring for me as well.

Dave
dkm

EAGLE1

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 2015 FLHXSE CVO Street Glide "Silvia"
    • CVO2: 2006 FLSTFSE² Screamin’ Eagle® Fat Boy® (SOLD)
« Reply #63 on: January 19, 2006, 06:34:38 PM »

They did have another design in mind that retained the compensator or included another design of compensator but went with the current design instead.  
Dave

Dave, im a dumb a$$ what is this compensator you are refering too? it looked like all the original parts were still there.
Toes in the water, ass in the sand

Dave

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #64 on: January 20, 2006, 10:38:01 AM »

Eagle,

Most of the parts are still retained.  Just the big spring and its housing are left off.  I have the parts book at home and can tell you what part number that item and or scan a diagram if you like.

Dave
dkm

Dave

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #65 on: January 20, 2006, 10:42:27 AM »

Eagle,

By the way I looked at an 06 Screaming Eagle Fat Boy last night at my local dealer.  Love that paint job!  I like it way better than the 05 model.  George is working on a mounting plate for his bearing support to fit the softail inner primary.  I am thinking since your motor is ballanced this would be the perfect way to upgrade your motor.

Dave
dkm

AUSSIE_FLSTFSE

• 1K CVO Member
  • Aussie

• CVO1: FLSTFSE
    • Aussie's home page
« Reply #66 on: January 20, 2006, 05:26:32 PM »

Eagle,

By the way I looked at an 06 Screaming Eagle Fat Boy last night at my local dealer.  Love that paint job!  I like it way better than the 05 model.  [highlight]George is working on a mounting plate for his bearing support to fit[/highlight] [highlight]the softail inner primary.[/highlight]  I am thinking since your motor is ballanced this would be the perfect way to upgrade your motor.

Dave

Any idea when they expect to have the softail bearing support??
 [smiley=drink.gif]
« Last Edit: January 20, 2006, 05:28:05 PM by AUSSIE_FLSTFSE »
FATBOYS RULE

OCD is a disease

EAGLE1

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 2015 FLHXSE CVO Street Glide "Silvia"
    • CVO2: 2006 FLSTFSE² Screamin’ Eagle® Fat Boy® (SOLD)
« Reply #67 on: January 20, 2006, 06:57:35 PM »

Eagle,
By the way I looked at an 06 Screaming Eagle Fat Boy last night at my local dealer.  Love that paint job!  Dave

Thanks Dave, i was awe struck when i laid eyes on her as well, i go out to the garage and wink at her every hour or so. cant wait for some riding weather.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2006, 10:52:19 PM by EAGLE1 »
Toes in the water, ass in the sand
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]  All

Page created in 0.143 seconds with 21 queries.