Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Author Topic: Question from new Member  (Read 4456 times)

chappy

• Senior CVO Member
Question from new Member
« on: January 01, 2006, 01:26:10 PM »

First, Glad to be a member here, Great sight and a great way to start the new year.
By the way, Happy New to you all.

Question: As a Christmas gift form my wife, I got the go ahead to upgrade my "03 VT88 Ultra to the H-D SE 103". It's a graet gift, but it really caught me off guard. I wasn't expecting it at all. In the past I have modified seveal H-D motors. Mostly piece meal as I could aford the expence. I always did my home work before hand and some times it even paid off. lol
« Last Edit: January 01, 2006, 04:02:06 PM by twolanerider »
Ps 118:8

HUBBARD

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHTCUSE7
    • WV

Re: Question fro new Member
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2006, 02:40:02 PM »

First, Glad to be a member here, Great sight and a great way to start the new year.
By the way, Happy New to you all.

Question: As a Christmas gift form my wife, I got the go ahead to upgrade my "03 VT88 Ultra to the H-D SE 103". It's a graet gift, but it really caught me off guard. I wasn't expecting it at all. In the past I have modified seveal H-D motors. Mostly piece meal as I could aford the expence. I always did my home work before hand and some times it even paid off. lol
2012 FLHTCUSE7  (Electric Orange/Black)  Built Motor (124), D&D "Borzilla" Exhaust, Tilley/K&N Air Induction,
"National President"-"Hillbilly Rocket Riders", MC, Mother Chapter, WV
"National President"-"W.H.O.R.E", TPT, WV Chapter

chappy

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2006, 03:06:52 PM »

Hubbard and Dean,
Thanks for the speedy responses you both sent.

1st, I looked at Zipper's again today. I just can't seem to open the Prices Page they claim to have.  Oh well!!

2nd, My wants and desires along with my riding style.
I have always enjoyed the "sleeper" approach to modifications. I have two Harley's, '97 Heritage Springer (bored & stroked) a real sleeper, just the way I like em. My other bike is the afore mentioned '03 Ultra w/efi. That TC 88 is a real dog compared to the springer, but that is to be expected. However, I do like to get up and GO when I grab a fist full of throttle. I like the kick to start in between 2200 and 2500 and keep pulling until "I'm" done. I am seeking low compression for longevity and fuel availibility for the long hauls into unfamiliar territory. I am planning to split the case to instal Timken bearings; I understand that the "03 need that upgrade especially when the top end will be pushing harder. I like the thump from a stroker and last but not least, I want to be able to get on the road help if needed without having to find a Rocket Scientist. That's why I was planning to stay with the H-D 103 kit, hopeing any dealership could do any tuning that might be needed while on a putt from-away. I ride one-up most of the time. A trend that will become more common for me as time goes by.

hope this points toward the direction I would like to go

Thanks
chappy

RATMAN

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2006, 03:44:42 PM »

chappy

If I was going to do my motor again I would send it to Gary Williams & CO. I have talked with him several times and am very impress with his advice.
GARY WILLAMS
1043 MONTEREY RD.
PEARL, MISSISSIPPI 39208
601-939-5861

RATMAN

chappy

• Senior CVO Member
Re: Question from new Member
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2006, 04:09:21 PM »

Ratman,

Thanks for the Tip.
Does he have a web site?

chappy

HUBBARD

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHTCUSE7
    • WV

« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2006, 04:35:44 PM »

Hubbard and Dean,
Thanks for the speedy responses you both sent.

1st, I looked at Zipper's again today. I just can't seem to open the Prices Page they claim to have.
2012 FLHTCUSE7  (Electric Orange/Black)  Built Motor (124), D&D "Borzilla" Exhaust, Tilley/K&N Air Induction,

RATMAN

« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2006, 04:44:35 PM »

Chappy

No web site. Every time I call the shop he will almost always stops and talk.

chappy

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2006, 04:49:21 PM »

Sound advice; Thanks!

chappy

chappy

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2006, 07:15:51 PM »

Thanks Ratman,

I'll look into it and let ya'll know.

happy new year, may it be safe, healthy and prosperous

chappy

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2005 Cherry FLHTCSE2 "Obsession"

• CVO1: 05 FLHTCSE2
    • Metal Dragon
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2006, 07:51:45 PM »

Chappy;
Welcome to the site!

First it all comes down to how much you want (or have been cleared) to spend. From that you can decide how to best use the $'s. I have seen some 95" motor's that will romp all over the 103's. I bring this up because you can save some $'s on the cranks and the cost of splitting the cases. So what's your budget?

Delta

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2006, 08:55:39 PM »

Hey Chappy,

Glad to see you made it to this site. I told you there was a ton of info here.

To the rest,

I am a new member also and do a lot of riding with Chappy. I've got an '04 Ultra that seems to constantly be a work in process hahaha. The latest is an upgrade from the 95" to the 103" with the following parts:

Screaming Eagle Pro Twin Cam 103+ Cylinder Heads
Screaming Eagle 103+ Stroker Pistons 10.5 compression
Screaming Eagle Stroker Flywheel
Screaming Eagle 257 Cam

I already had Reinharts, the SERT, and 6 Speed. I run the Screaming Eagle Tear Drop AC with a K&N filter running on the bike.

The good news is it should be finished this week and I'm hoping this built will put a serious grin on my face. The bad news is with the crappy weather here in New Hampshire, I will have to wait until Daytona Bike Week for the break in. Let the count down begin.

Last decent ride, the Saddlesore 1000 competed in 20 hours with Chappy. He got hungry and we had to stop ;)

Later everyone and terrific site.
Delta

2011 FLHTCUSE6, Fullsac Sportpipe, Stock CVO Mufflers, Oil bypass vented, Power Vision

In Memory of Chappy

HUBBARD

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHTCUSE7
    • WV

« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2006, 09:08:01 PM »

Yeah, 'er 'uh, Delta,
  Welcome to the Site!  And yet, another Ultra owner.  Sounds like you've got a nice runnin' Machine!  Maybe we'll hook-up somewhere in Daytona.  It'll be here before you know it!  Later--HUBBARD

chappy

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2006, 10:06:08 PM »

HD-Dude,
The gift (budget) is in the ball park of $4k. That total will put a chrome piece or two on also if I go with the SE 103 kit. I did check again and it does come in black. I am not locked into the SE 103 kit yet, so my only concern at this point is I would like to do the break in miles in Daytona. I can live with the idea of being in Delta's mirror but I'd rather be a smiling face than a distaent light beam. If I can't get her finished before Daytona, that's OK because the worst case is, I'll have to bring my Springer in stead and that's not so bad, she's a fun ride but a little hard on the wife. But, like I mentioned earlier, I have always mixed and matched parts and played with the numbers. As Hubbard stated earlier, I too used to do all my own work, but these computerized rigs have proven that I am still pretty much a caveman. A plug wrench, a file and a cover to a book of matches doesn't help much now a days. I'll have to hold off on pipes for now, but I do have the SE muffs with stock headers although I do plan to go true duals by summer.

Far as building up a 95, I've been down that road before. In the past I've ripped up the lower end within 10-15k miles. And never close to home. My last (just make it in) was at Doc's in Kirkwood just outside of St Louis. It wasn't all bad, Doc's stored my bike for me free for four days while I took the train home and got setup with hauling transportation. Put the Truett & Osborne monster torque wheels b&b, S&S made the stroker pistons to a perfect weight and while it was bare naked again all the parts and peices were gone through. Most rebuilt or replaced. Nothing worse than spring fever in the middle of summer. That's just the partial story of one summer's ride on one of my bikes. Any way, that and many other similar happenstances has convinced me to match the low end with the top end and do it once. And almost forgot to add, I have 40k miles on the motor so with a top end beef eater, I wouldn't dare leave the wheels to take up the slack.

On a side note, I was tossing around the idea of putting on a Woodys Blower. Big bucks but a big bang also. I just can't do both at the same time. Pipes would be a must either way. So much for sleeper, but it does look nice and slim. Woody is very helpful and a pleasure to talk to. I'll do it some day, maybe mid summer.

I still can't seem to open Zippers price page.

And Delta, I was hungry when we left at 0500. And I know I would have been fine but you kept wakeing me up. lol I would recomend that the temps be higher than 40's and 50's next run. lol

Delta, thanks for the heads up on this site, I've read lots on the topic of interest and there's a lot of great folks here.

Hubbard, meeting up in Daytona sounds good to me. Altough I staying in Orlando this year mainly because I only seek to get out of Daytona to have a putt with some miles involved with the ride. I do plan to take a look at my favorite candy store (Kuryakyn) set up at Datona H-D. I'm looking forward to the ride to Key West. In just plain looking forward to the rideing weather temps that higher than the 40's.

Last;
Is it true that the 2003 TC 88 didn't have timkin bearings on the crank?
Has there been any chatter on how the TC 88 low end holds up with just the top end built with a strong 95"?

Thanks

chappy
« Last Edit: January 01, 2006, 10:21:03 PM by chappy »

HUBBARD

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHTCUSE7
    • WV

« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2006, 10:17:55 PM »

Yeah, 'er 'uh, chappy,
  There's a lot of stuff going on in Orlando, too.  I think they even call it "Orlando Bike-Week."  I'll be staying in Bellview, and enjoying the ride to Daytona, and back, daily.  Absent any unforeseen opportunities, of course.  I'll PM you when I leave West (By God) Virginia.  Hoping that to be on March 2.  Later--HUBBARD

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 SESG,
    • CVO2: 2004 SEEG Pumpkin,
    • CVO3: 2002 Police Roadking, Maudie and Maybelle Slayer
« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2006, 10:25:23 PM »

Chappy my 2003 did not have a timken bearing in it on the TC88.

Chappy are you staying with friends or relatives in the O-town area?
HBRR Florida Chapter,  STILL - The Fastest Chapter - Proven yet again Bikeweek 2017
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Page created in 0.177 seconds with 21 queries.