Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]

Author Topic: Question from new Member  (Read 4459 times)

chappy

• Senior CVO Member
Question from new Member
« on: January 01, 2006, 01:26:10 PM »

First, Glad to be a member here, Great sight and a great way to start the new year.
By the way, Happy New to you all.

Question: As a Christmas gift form my wife, I got the go ahead to upgrade my "03 VT88 Ultra to the H-D SE 103". It's a graet gift, but it really caught me off guard. I wasn't expecting it at all. In the past I have modified seveal H-D motors. Mostly piece meal as I could aford the expence. I always did my home work before hand and some times it even paid off. lol
« Last Edit: January 01, 2006, 04:02:06 PM by twolanerider »
Ps 118:8

HUBBARD

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHTCUSE7
    • WV

Re: Question fro new Member
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2006, 02:40:02 PM »

First, Glad to be a member here, Great sight and a great way to start the new year.
By the way, Happy New to you all.

Question: As a Christmas gift form my wife, I got the go ahead to upgrade my "03 VT88 Ultra to the H-D SE 103". It's a graet gift, but it really caught me off guard. I wasn't expecting it at all. In the past I have modified seveal H-D motors. Mostly piece meal as I could aford the expence. I always did my home work before hand and some times it even paid off. lol
2012 FLHTCUSE7  (Electric Orange/Black)  Built Motor (124), D&D "Borzilla" Exhaust, Tilley/K&N Air Induction,
"National President"-"Hillbilly Rocket Riders", MC, Mother Chapter, WV
"National President"-"W.H.O.R.E", TPT, WV Chapter

chappy

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2006, 03:06:52 PM »

Hubbard and Dean,
Thanks for the speedy responses you both sent.

1st, I looked at Zipper's again today. I just can't seem to open the Prices Page they claim to have.  Oh well!!

2nd, My wants and desires along with my riding style.
I have always enjoyed the "sleeper" approach to modifications. I have two Harley's, '97 Heritage Springer (bored & stroked) a real sleeper, just the way I like em. My other bike is the afore mentioned '03 Ultra w/efi. That TC 88 is a real dog compared to the springer, but that is to be expected. However, I do like to get up and GO when I grab a fist full of throttle. I like the kick to start in between 2200 and 2500 and keep pulling until "I'm" done. I am seeking low compression for longevity and fuel availibility for the long hauls into unfamiliar territory. I am planning to split the case to instal Timken bearings; I understand that the "03 need that upgrade especially when the top end will be pushing harder. I like the thump from a stroker and last but not least, I want to be able to get on the road help if needed without having to find a Rocket Scientist. That's why I was planning to stay with the H-D 103 kit, hopeing any dealership could do any tuning that might be needed while on a putt from-away. I ride one-up most of the time. A trend that will become more common for me as time goes by.

hope this points toward the direction I would like to go

Thanks
chappy

RATMAN

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2006, 03:44:42 PM »

chappy

If I was going to do my motor again I would send it to Gary Williams & CO. I have talked with him several times and am very impress with his advice.
GARY WILLAMS
1043 MONTEREY RD.
PEARL, MISSISSIPPI 39208
601-939-5861

RATMAN

chappy

• Senior CVO Member
Re: Question from new Member
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2006, 04:09:21 PM »

Ratman,

Thanks for the Tip.
Does he have a web site?

chappy

HUBBARD

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHTCUSE7
    • WV

« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2006, 04:35:44 PM »

Hubbard and Dean,
Thanks for the speedy responses you both sent.

1st, I looked at Zipper's again today. I just can't seem to open the Prices Page they claim to have.
2012 FLHTCUSE7  (Electric Orange/Black)  Built Motor (124), D&D "Borzilla" Exhaust, Tilley/K&N Air Induction,

RATMAN

« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2006, 04:44:35 PM »

Chappy

No web site. Every time I call the shop he will almost always stops and talk.

chappy

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2006, 04:49:21 PM »

Sound advice; Thanks!

chappy

chappy

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2006, 07:15:51 PM »

Thanks Ratman,

I'll look into it and let ya'll know.

happy new year, may it be safe, healthy and prosperous

chappy

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2005 Cherry FLHTCSE2 "Obsession"

• CVO1: 05 FLHTCSE2
    • Metal Dragon
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2006, 07:51:45 PM »

Chappy;
Welcome to the site!

First it all comes down to how much you want (or have been cleared) to spend. From that you can decide how to best use the $'s. I have seen some 95" motor's that will romp all over the 103's. I bring this up because you can save some $'s on the cranks and the cost of splitting the cases. So what's your budget?

Delta

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2006, 08:55:39 PM »

Hey Chappy,

Glad to see you made it to this site. I told you there was a ton of info here.

To the rest,

I am a new member also and do a lot of riding with Chappy. I've got an '04 Ultra that seems to constantly be a work in process hahaha. The latest is an upgrade from the 95" to the 103" with the following parts:

Screaming Eagle Pro Twin Cam 103+ Cylinder Heads
Screaming Eagle 103+ Stroker Pistons 10.5 compression
Screaming Eagle Stroker Flywheel
Screaming Eagle 257 Cam

I already had Reinharts, the SERT, and 6 Speed. I run the Screaming Eagle Tear Drop AC with a K&N filter running on the bike.

The good news is it should be finished this week and I'm hoping this built will put a serious grin on my face. The bad news is with the crappy weather here in New Hampshire, I will have to wait until Daytona Bike Week for the break in. Let the count down begin.

Last decent ride, the Saddlesore 1000 competed in 20 hours with Chappy. He got hungry and we had to stop ;)

Later everyone and terrific site.
Delta

2011 FLHTCUSE6, Fullsac Sportpipe, Stock CVO Mufflers, Oil bypass vented, Power Vision

In Memory of Chappy

HUBBARD

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHTCUSE7
    • WV

« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2006, 09:08:01 PM »

Yeah, 'er 'uh, Delta,
  Welcome to the Site!  And yet, another Ultra owner.  Sounds like you've got a nice runnin' Machine!  Maybe we'll hook-up somewhere in Daytona.  It'll be here before you know it!  Later--HUBBARD

chappy

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2006, 10:06:08 PM »

HD-Dude,
The gift (budget) is in the ball park of $4k. That total will put a chrome piece or two on also if I go with the SE 103 kit. I did check again and it does come in black. I am not locked into the SE 103 kit yet, so my only concern at this point is I would like to do the break in miles in Daytona. I can live with the idea of being in Delta's mirror but I'd rather be a smiling face than a distaent light beam. If I can't get her finished before Daytona, that's OK because the worst case is, I'll have to bring my Springer in stead and that's not so bad, she's a fun ride but a little hard on the wife. But, like I mentioned earlier, I have always mixed and matched parts and played with the numbers. As Hubbard stated earlier, I too used to do all my own work, but these computerized rigs have proven that I am still pretty much a caveman. A plug wrench, a file and a cover to a book of matches doesn't help much now a days. I'll have to hold off on pipes for now, but I do have the SE muffs with stock headers although I do plan to go true duals by summer.

Far as building up a 95, I've been down that road before. In the past I've ripped up the lower end within 10-15k miles. And never close to home. My last (just make it in) was at Doc's in Kirkwood just outside of St Louis. It wasn't all bad, Doc's stored my bike for me free for four days while I took the train home and got setup with hauling transportation. Put the Truett & Osborne monster torque wheels b&b, S&S made the stroker pistons to a perfect weight and while it was bare naked again all the parts and peices were gone through. Most rebuilt or replaced. Nothing worse than spring fever in the middle of summer. That's just the partial story of one summer's ride on one of my bikes. Any way, that and many other similar happenstances has convinced me to match the low end with the top end and do it once. And almost forgot to add, I have 40k miles on the motor so with a top end beef eater, I wouldn't dare leave the wheels to take up the slack.

On a side note, I was tossing around the idea of putting on a Woodys Blower. Big bucks but a big bang also. I just can't do both at the same time. Pipes would be a must either way. So much for sleeper, but it does look nice and slim. Woody is very helpful and a pleasure to talk to. I'll do it some day, maybe mid summer.

I still can't seem to open Zippers price page.

And Delta, I was hungry when we left at 0500. And I know I would have been fine but you kept wakeing me up. lol I would recomend that the temps be higher than 40's and 50's next run. lol

Delta, thanks for the heads up on this site, I've read lots on the topic of interest and there's a lot of great folks here.

Hubbard, meeting up in Daytona sounds good to me. Altough I staying in Orlando this year mainly because I only seek to get out of Daytona to have a putt with some miles involved with the ride. I do plan to take a look at my favorite candy store (Kuryakyn) set up at Datona H-D. I'm looking forward to the ride to Key West. In just plain looking forward to the rideing weather temps that higher than the 40's.

Last;
Is it true that the 2003 TC 88 didn't have timkin bearings on the crank?
Has there been any chatter on how the TC 88 low end holds up with just the top end built with a strong 95"?

Thanks

chappy
« Last Edit: January 01, 2006, 10:21:03 PM by chappy »

HUBBARD

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHTCUSE7
    • WV

« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2006, 10:17:55 PM »

Yeah, 'er 'uh, chappy,
  There's a lot of stuff going on in Orlando, too.  I think they even call it "Orlando Bike-Week."  I'll be staying in Bellview, and enjoying the ride to Daytona, and back, daily.  Absent any unforeseen opportunities, of course.  I'll PM you when I leave West (By God) Virginia.  Hoping that to be on March 2.  Later--HUBBARD

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 SESG,
    • CVO2: 2004 SEEG Pumpkin,
    • CVO3: 2002 Police Roadking, Maudie and Maybelle Slayer
« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2006, 10:25:23 PM »

Chappy my 2003 did not have a timken bearing in it on the TC88.

Chappy are you staying with friends or relatives in the O-town area?
HBRR Florida Chapter,  STILL - The Fastest Chapter - Proven yet again Bikeweek 2017

chappy

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2006, 10:30:36 PM »

Hubbard,
We'll be laeving the homestead about the same time you do. I plan to roll in to Orlando on the 2nd or 3rd lastest. staying til the 12th. I pickup 81 south from Scranton then cross the Blue Ridge on 77 to 29 then 95 to Daytona, but since this year I'm going to Orlando I'll check and see if 81 south to 75 would work out better. Nothing in stone yet.

West Ginny is a beautiful ride. Coming home from Sturgis I roll through the hills of WV. I like to stop for a bite in any of the Hollows along the way. Can't beat the friendly family style table set ups. You don't see much of the comunity type eating arrangements up this way. One Veteran insisted on buying me lunch. Course, I did the same for a guy at the next stop.  
I edited my last post, didn't realize you had sent a post til after, sorry.

chappy

chappy

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2006, 10:33:56 PM »

unbalanced,

Staying at the Shades of Green in WDW.
Can't beat the price or location.

But like Hubbard said about Orlando calling it Bike Week also. That's a 10-4 and all the traffic to go with it.

how about you, are you from that neck

chappy

chappy

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #17 on: January 01, 2006, 10:35:25 PM »

Unbalanced,

Forgot to say, Thanks for the confirmation about the lack of Timkin bearing. Another good reason to split the case especially with 40k on the od.

chappy

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

« Reply #18 on: January 01, 2006, 10:35:50 PM »

Chappy 95 is a better run we were just up in NC in Soggy Valley and we went up 95 and back 75 and across the state in Ocala.   Keeps you away from most of the tough construction and and keeps you away from having to run around Atlanta.
HBRR Florida Chapter,  STILL - The Fastest Chapter - Proven yet again Bikeweek 2017

chappy

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #19 on: January 01, 2006, 10:40:13 PM »

Unbalanced,

Thanks, I don't care much for Atlanta. I'm always looking for planes when I go around Atlanta with that many lanes I have to double think if I'm on a tarmac of an airport. Sounds like you must have been to Deals Gap in your travels.

chappy

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

« Reply #20 on: January 01, 2006, 10:56:53 PM »

Chappy,

My good buddy was married there.   I live east / north of there about 45 miles I am in between Daytona and Orlando off I-4 corridor I am at near exit 108 and 111 off I-4.   No you cant beat the price where your staying.  

I can recommend quite a bit of riding if you don't already have plans let me know if you need some suggestions and routes happy to send you on some nice rides.

In regards to your build 4k is gonna be really close depending on how you support the 103 build.
I did it on my 03 anniversay ultra that I traded for the Cherry SEEG I now have.   I ended up at 117 tq / 109 hp and it ran good, while I did not do the timken upgrade in mine.  When I sold it, it had run for 38,000 flawless miles.

Screaming Eagle Pro Twin Cam Cylinders but NOT the Heads
Screaming Eagle 103+ Stroker Pistons 10.5 to 1 compression
Screaming Eagle Roller Rockers

Rivera Pro Clutch tried the HD SE Heavy Clutch Spring, but it didnt hold up.  Switched it out to the Rivera.  

Stock heads reworked by Al Redman here in florida    650.00
I went this way to keep the stealth look of the bike (Sleeper) and the heads ended up better than 103+

24/37 gearing
Compression releases
50 mm Zippers Throttle body with Cruise
Zippers A/C
SE 251 Cams

I tried the 204 cam / the 211 and I liked the 251 the best as it pulled low end and ran well all the way up from 2300 to 5800

The 211 was the first one really isnt for a bagger :)  3500 to 5500 range
The 204 ran great 1800 to 4300 but died on the top end
The 251 was the right fit for me :)  2300 to 5800

Hope this helps give you some ideas,

-harry

chappy

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #21 on: January 01, 2006, 11:32:20 PM »

Unbalanced,
A big help thanks.
Did you need to upgrade your oil pump?
Did you use the SE tappets?
Did she eat teeth off the pinion gear?
How did your starter hold up?

I haven't had much luck with SE clutches in the past, I've been using mostly Barnet but have found that I like it in neutral at those long red lights. After lighting it up a few times she would like a punch of gas to slip into neutral also.

If I end up going with th SE 103 kit on my '03 Ultra, do you know if Timkin bearings are part of the package or are they an upgrade?
Compression relief valves Not included; do you think I'll need them?

I plan to put in new SE tappets but I was not going to install the roller rockers. I got to tell you though! I am a tad hesitant with the SE heads, I've seen SE heads side by side with Head Quarters ported and polished heads and the Head Quarters heads made the SE heads look like rough castings. Now that was a few years back, has the SE Heads really improved as I have been hearing?

I'd like to here back how the roads are towards Pennsicola and east along the gilf. I heard rt 10 is half gone and only one bridge is open "still".

chappy

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

« Reply #22 on: January 02, 2006, 08:22:24 PM »

Chappy,

I did use the SE Tappets and the adjustable pushrods.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2006, 08:24:58 PM by Unbalanced »

chappy

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #23 on: January 02, 2006, 10:34:39 PM »

Hey Harry,
Thanks that's a great help and great info. Maybe I'll hold off on the moto work until after Bike break in the sunshine state. I have lots to consider and with so many choices. Like was mentioned earlier by another Post, "It all comes down the the $$s." With that being a very true statement, I am seeking to NOT be the guy that feels the shoes of this saying; "A fool and his money is soon parted."  Been down that path a few times that I'll admit to anyway. lol
I was wondering about the Gulf westward roads because I'm tring to figure out a nice long ride on some roads I haven't traveled, I'm thinking of a 1000 mile loop for a day run (saddlesore) but road construction and detours with lots of stop and go will bring a 1k day run to ruin in a hurry.

Thanks again you've been a great well of information

chappy

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #24 on: January 03, 2006, 11:53:34 AM »

.......Last;
Is it true that the 2003 TC 88 didn't have timkin bearings on the crank?
Has there been any chatter on how the TC 88 low end holds up with just the top end built with a strong 95"?

Thanks

chappy
chappy,

Try this thread http://flhrsei.org/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?num=1132323216
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

chappy

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #25 on: January 03, 2006, 02:04:47 PM »

Hi JRC,

Very interesting thread. I guess when you get right down to it, we the Harley owners and riders have become a bigger part of the MoCo support group that supply the funds for reseach and development. This used to be pretty much the task of the racers and their builders. It's good to be in the loop, however it's expensive to fund such an adventure. But, you got to love and I sense from reading these posts that "Love It" we do.

chappy

HUBBARD

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHTCUSE7
    • WV

« Reply #26 on: January 03, 2006, 02:34:06 PM »

Hubbard,
We'll be laeving the homestead about the same time you do. I plan to roll in to Orlando on the 2nd or 3rd lastest. staying til the 12th. I pickup 81 south from Scranton then cross the Blue Ridge on 77 to [highlight]29[/highlight] then 95 to Daytona, but since this year I'm going to Orlando I'll check and see if 81 south to 75 would work out better. Nothing in stone yet.

West Ginny is a beautiful ride. Coming home from Sturgis I roll through the hills of WV. I like to stop for a bite in any of the Hollows along the way. Can't beat the friendly family style table set ups. You don't see much of the comunity type eating arrangements up this way. One Veteran insisted on buying me lunch. Course, I did the same for a guy at the next stop.

chappy

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #27 on: January 03, 2006, 04:57:29 PM »

Thanks Hub,

You're right I should have said rt 26. I remember back just a couple years ago, I got caught in the big snow drop, drove into the storm that dropped a foot of the white stuff on Rt 77 than I drove out of the snow into rain and then finally it was all clear by Rt 95 south. I hope it's clear sailing this year, that pesky snow makes for slow going. I'll be towing also. The bike ride from here is reserved for warmer weather.

Well, I just finally made up my mind. Drove an hour south to Swanzey, NH and made up my mind on the way there and put $2,000.00 deposit to order the parts needed and set the appointment to get the Tuna Boat's 88" resurrected into a stroked 103" useing kit P# 29842-03. She'll be transformed from a dog to an eagle in several easy payments. Ha ha ha
« Last Edit: January 03, 2006, 04:59:36 PM by chappy »

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #28 on: January 03, 2006, 05:03:24 PM »

, new cam chains w/tensioners,
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

chappy

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #29 on: January 03, 2006, 05:14:02 PM »

Good question, but I do have a method to my madness. I still may install a Woodys Blower to the final mix. If I do go with that plan, I will need the chain drive because the unit doesn't work off the gear drive cams. See the Woody's Blower at http://www.wbtinc.com/
If I go that route it wouldn't be til mid-summer. Some where along the way I have to justify all these costs to Mama.
I don't like to have cold shoulder for supper. lol

Between now and then I may just change the plan an go with the gear set-uo (the gears are superior to the chain, hands down)

chappy
« Last Edit: January 03, 2006, 05:14:48 PM by chappy »

HUBBARD

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHTCUSE7
    • WV

« Reply #30 on: January 03, 2006, 05:39:13 PM »

Yeah, 'er 'uh, chappy,
  BLOWER?  Listen, man, if you do this, nobody will ride anywhere with you, you won't be able to outrun your Buds but one time, everybody will shun you like the plague, and you will definitely feel like the "Lone Ranger!"  Add to that, I'll have to look at your tailights.  This is not good! [smiley=huepfenlol2.gif]Later--HUBBARD    

chappy

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #31 on: January 03, 2006, 05:49:29 PM »

Woody is building a 116" with the blower that will make about 175 hp.
A sight to be seen. He may be in Daytona this year and he's also thinking of pitching a tent at Americade (Lake George, NY) and  Laconia, NH bike week this year as well.

still crunching the numbers.  yahoo!!

chappy

Delta

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #32 on: January 16, 2006, 12:30:36 PM »

Hey Chappy,

Glad to see you made it to this site. I told you there was a ton of info here.

To the rest,

I am a new member also and do a lot of riding with Chappy. I've got an '04 Ultra that seems to constantly be a work in process hahaha. The latest is an upgrade from the 95" to the 103" with the following parts:

Screaming Eagle Pro Twin Cam 103+ Cylinder Heads
Screaming Eagle 103+ Stroker Pistons 10.5 compression
Screaming Eagle 257 Cam

I already had Reinharts, the SERT, and 6 Speed. I run the Screaming Eagle Tear Drop AC with a K&N filter running on the bike.

The good news is it should be finished this week and I'm hoping this built will put a serious grin on my face. The bad news is with the crappy weather here in New Hampshire, I will have to wait until Daytona Bike Week for the break in. Let the count down begin.

Last decent ride, the Saddlesore 1000 competed in 20 hours with Chappy. He got hungry and we had to stop ;)

Later everyone and terrific site.
Delta

Well the build is finished and it dyno'd at 101.6HP / 107.7TQ  Guess I'll have to find a good tuner when it gets broken in. What a difference in sound, response and pull. Do these numbers sound like they are in the ball park with similar builds?

2011 FLHTCUSE6, Fullsac Sportpipe, Stock CVO Mufflers, Oil bypass vented, Power Vision

In Memory of Chappy

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

« Reply #33 on: January 16, 2006, 10:08:35 PM »

Since you know the numbers it must be said ......   [smiley=worthless.gif]

Post the predyno and the retuned dyno :)

chappy

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #34 on: January 16, 2006, 11:13:10 PM »

Ya,

I've seen some pic's and they look pretty nice. But I'll let Delta post his own pics.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2006, 11:18:02 PM by chappy »

Delta

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #35 on: January 17, 2006, 09:35:06 AM »

Here's the dyno, comments appreciated.
SE 103+ Heads
SE 103+ Pistons
SE 257 Cam
10.5:1 comp
SERT
Reinharts

In Memory of Chappy
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]

Page created in 0.245 seconds with 21 queries.