Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Author Topic: oil cooler  (Read 5041 times)

AUSSIE_FLSTFSE

• 1K CVO Member
  • Aussie

• CVO1: FLSTFSE
    • Aussie's home page
oil cooler
« on: January 13, 2006, 04:19:03 AM »

I am putting an oil cooler on my FLSTFSE & just want to check that removing the plugs (#5) & installing hose fittings is the correct way to do it (I was looking for an oil filter / cooler adaptor ) but then I noticed these plugs. A mate has an older heritage & he required the adaptor when he installed a cooler, I guess he did not have the plugs.(he is away so I can not check with him)

Cheers
 [smiley=drink.gif]
FATBOYS RULE

OCD is a disease

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
Re: oil cooler
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2006, 08:09:28 AM »

I am putting an oil cooler on my FLSTFSE & just want to check that removing the plugs (#5) & installing hose fittings is the correct way to do it (I was looking for an oil filter / cooler adaptor ) but then I noticed these plugs. A mate has an older heritage & he required the adaptor when he installed a cooler, I guess he did not have the plugs.(he is away so I can not check with him)

Cheers
 [smiley=drink.gif]
Aussie,

I cannot say for certain on the "B" motor, but I do remember reading on the original Twin Cam that the plugs were not meant to be used for an oil cooler.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2006, 08:10:20 AM by grc »
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

AUSSIE_FLSTFSE

• 1K CVO Member
  • Aussie

• Aussie's home page
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2006, 03:06:41 PM »

Jerry,
Thanks even though you are not 100% sure that still confirms my gut feeling that they were not for a cooler. However someone may still come up with an other reply.

I looked at the moco cooler & even though it would work very well I did not like how it would look on the front of my fatboy.

I found this one on ebay & thought it would do the job nicely & look the part as well.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2006, 03:11:04 PM by AUSSIE_FLSTFSE »
FATBOYS RULE

OCD is a disease

AUSSIE_FLSTFSE

• 1K CVO Member
  • Aussie

• Aussie's home page
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2006, 04:25:35 PM »

I think I'll have to put one of these on

Cheers
 [smiley=drink.gif]
FATBOYS RULE

OCD is a disease

electraglideclyde

• Senior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • GA

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2006, 05:19:41 PM »

I agree with grc. I don't think those are the right plugs. On my Ultra the came out of the back of the case near the transmission. If you can go with the oil filter adapter w/thermostat, I would use it. It makes for a much cleaner install, and if you ride in any cold weather, you'll need that thermostat. ;D [smiley=smilie_koch1.gif]

Hair of the Dog

Belicoso_Fino

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2006, 07:39:29 PM »

I think I'll have to put one of these on

Cheers
 [smiley=drink.gif]

Exactly right.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2006, 07:40:02 PM by Belicoso_Fino »
2006 FLSTFSE2, V&H Big Radius, PCIII-USB.  

You can't have everything.  Where would you put it?

EAGLE1

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 2015 FLHXSE CVO Street Glide "Silvia"
    • CVO2: 2006 FLSTFSE² Screamin’ Eagle® Fat Boy® (SOLD)
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2006, 07:54:57 PM »

Jerry,
I found this one on ebay & thought it would do the job nicely & look the part as well.
Toes in the water, ass in the sand

jeepster09

• FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2006, 09:15:13 PM »

Cheers
 [smiley=drink.gif]

The plugs ARE for oil cooler hookup on 103 motors. You can even get molded hoses with the correct angles to fitt from cooler to adapter.

fatboyse2

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2006, 10:16:37 PM »

I like the chrome oil cooler 8-) you found on ebay Aussie.  Have you bought them and do they fit?

AUSSIE_FLSTFSE

• 1K CVO Member
  • Aussie

• Aussie's home page
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2006, 12:25:34 AM »

Yes I have the cooler it looks great. I could not find a complete kit so bought:
1. cooler
2. adaptor
3. hose  (I am using 3/8 stainless steel braided rubber hose) the adaptor came with 3/8 fittings & the cooler came with 5/16 fittings. I have changed them all to "Russell" avaition type fittings (those blue & red fittings)

cooler:
« Last Edit: January 14, 2006, 12:39:46 AM by AUSSIE_FLSTFSE »
FATBOYS RULE

OCD is a disease

AUSSIE_FLSTFSE

• 1K CVO Member
  • Aussie

• Aussie's home page
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2006, 12:34:42 AM »

The plugs ARE for oil cooler hookup on 103 motors. You can even get molded hoses with the correct angles to fitt from cooler to adapter.

jeepster09,
Where did you get the info?? I am about to fit the filter adaptor but would prefer to remove the plugs for a possibly cleaner look. Even though I now have all the gear & correct fittings for the adaptor method & would have to get a couple of different fittings to fit to the plug holes.
FATBOYS RULE

OCD is a disease

AUSSIE_FLSTFSE

• 1K CVO Member
  • Aussie

• Aussie's home page
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2006, 12:56:24 AM »

I actually got the cooler here, but you got to be quick this guys ebay store changes every day it about 16 bucks cheaper (there is one available for another 1 day & 19 hours at the time of this post. Demon Cycles South, no problem to deal with had it in my hand (in Oz) 6 days after paypal payment.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/HARLEY-DAVIDSON-CHOPPER-CHROME-OIL-COOLER-DUAL-COOL-II_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ35572QQitemZ4603346362

The adaptor I just bought here at a local stealeryesterday as I wanted to fit this weekend. Cost me probably an extra 50 bucks buying it in Oz as opposed to USA via internet.

cheers
 [smiley=drink.gif]
FATBOYS RULE

OCD is a disease

AUSSIE_FLSTFSE

• 1K CVO Member
  • Aussie

• Aussie's home page
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2006, 01:02:03 AM »

Just ordered the stand off clamps from JP Cycles, thought they would hold it in place alot better as per their picture

cheers
 [smiley=drink.gif]
« Last Edit: January 14, 2006, 01:04:53 AM by AUSSIE_FLSTFSE »
FATBOYS RULE

OCD is a disease

fatboyse2

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2006, 12:44:30 PM »

Thanks Aussie, this is great, I'm ordering the kit today.

AUSSIE_FLSTFSE

• 1K CVO Member
  • Aussie

• Aussie's home page
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2006, 03:19:29 PM »

After removing the filter & having a good look I am sure now you must not remove the plugs. If you do the oil that goes through your cooler will not get filtered, in fact most of your oil will probably not get filtered. You must install the filter adaptor so the oil goes through the filter then through the cooler & returns back in to the motor.
It is taking me a while to get this done (about 4hours so far) but I am changing the motor oil & filter, staying with HD SYN 3 ,changing the gearbox oil to Redline Shockproof, changing the primary oil to Redline MTL , polishing the paintwork & polishing all the chrome & wheels as I go. Its amazing the places those bugs get into!

I have a new problem now, when I drained the primary last night there was 2 reasonable size pieces of what appeared to be pieces of a gear stuck to the magnetic drain plug & I also thought the primary chain appears a bit loose so I will remove the primary cover this morning so I can have a good look (can't see much at all through the inspection covers)

Will post some pics later

Cheers
 [smiley=drink.gif]
« Last Edit: January 14, 2006, 03:23:49 PM by AUSSIE_FLSTFSE »
FATBOYS RULE

OCD is a disease
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Page created in 0.673 seconds with 21 queries.