Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Bike not starting when hot  (Read 1215 times)

erniezap

• Global Moderator
  • 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 SEUC - Black/Orange
Bike not starting when hot
« on: January 19, 2006, 09:23:11 PM »

My friend has an 03 Roadglide that intermittently will just crank but not start once it's warmed up.  I can swear that I saw a thread on theis fairly recently but I can't find it.  Anyone help me out either with the thread or some ideas as to why it is doing this.  Thanks!
2012 Black/Orange SEUC

Scrrem

• Full CVO Member
  • 2005 FLHTCSE2
Re: Bike not starting when hot
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2006, 08:47:52 AM »

I had that problem with a 99 Dyna.  The shop replaced my ECM but still had the problem.  Eventually found it to be a faulty ignition coil. They tested the coil but found no problem.  I finially just bought one and replace it myself.  No problem after that.

HUBBARD

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHTCUSE7
    • WV

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2006, 04:36:48 PM »

My friend has an 03 Roadglide that intermittently will just crank but not start once it's warmed up.
2012 FLHTCUSE7  (Electric Orange/Black)  Built Motor (124), D&D "Borzilla" Exhaust, Tilley/K&N Air Induction,
"National President"-"Hillbilly Rocket Riders", MC, Mother Chapter, WV
"National President"-"W.H.O.R.E", TPT, WV Chapter

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 SESG,
    • CVO2: 2004 SEEG Pumpkin,
    • CVO3: 2002 Police Roadking, Maudie and Maybelle Slayer
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2006, 10:11:03 PM »

Is the bike Fuel injected or Carb?

If it is fuel injected you can use the race tuner to add fuel at different temperatures and that may be the problem.  

Another possibility might be again if Fuel Injected is that the butterfly is closing to tightly and that it is not letting enough air in for starting (Charge Robbing)... you could try and put a feeler gauge under the butterfly at the bottom and it should be snug at around .025 to .030 not tight though just a little play.  

If your friend Cracks the throttle just a tiny bit and then lets it go does the bike start or start better ?

-harry
HBRR Florida Chapter,  STILL - The Fastest Chapter - Proven yet again Bikeweek 2017

erniezap

• Global Moderator
  • 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2006, 12:20:27 PM »

We rode hard (100+) to the stealer yesterday to have them check it out.  8 times out of 10 the bike starts fine.  The times it doesn't it's not getting spark but doesn't produce any codes.  This problem happens randomly but seems to happen more often when the bike is hot.  It'll happen, wait 2-3 minutes, the bike starts fine.  It's a stock 88 with fuel injection.  The bike does not get overly hot, just the normal temp.  

The tech was asking a  bunch of questions.  He asked if the bike was ever down.  He was in an accident in March of last year, getting the bike back in August.  Engine did not get damaged, but the frame, forks, etc, were replaced as well as tin and plastic.  Ran fine for about 1000-1500 miles then started having this problem.  The tech mentioned a switch that kills the engine if the bike falls over, stating that it is VERY rare to have one go bad but...  They want to take the bike and do circuit checks.  My gut is that they will all check out fine sine it's intermittant but who knows.  He's glad that he has the extended warranty...
2012 Black/Orange SEUC

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2006, 12:45:31 PM »

I had this problem on an 89 Ultra Classic once.  If I jumped the starter over directly (a little piece of wire), it would start (always burning my hand on the exhaust).  They changed out the starter and it was fine.  Something to do with the jack shaft expanding when it was hot, or something like that.  A lot of years ago......don't remember exactly.

Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

B767capt

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2006, 08:06:28 AM »

I have had this exact problem on my 03.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2006, 08:45:20 AM by B767capt »
Rineharts, Wood TW400G cams, SE 103+ stroker pistons, 53mm TB, PClll.

kng103

• Elite CVO Member
  • 2004  SE-103          ROAD KING CLASSIC
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2006, 12:57:54 PM »

if the timing is advanced too far it can also happen.

2004 flhrci se-103 pearl white
bassani true duals w/ho mufflers
se air cleaner
sert
se-251 cam
s&s reed valve
24/37 gearing
se-6 sp
rumble road speakers
2008 lincoln mark lt(silver)

erniezap

• Global Moderator
  • 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2006, 06:17:47 PM »

Well gang, here's an update.  My friend was riding the bike the other day when the problem got a LOT worse.  Not only starting problems but the bike started stumbling and cutting out till it was barely rideable.  It is now at the stealer.  When I hear more, I'll update the thread...
2012 Black/Orange SEUC

Page created in 0.151 seconds with 21 queries.