Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: I own a 2010.5 CVO ultra and have a question about "weaknesses"  (Read 3076 times)

ssls6

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 CUSE-DARK
I own a 2010.5 CVO ultra and have a question about "weaknesses"
« on: February 15, 2015, 12:10:19 PM »

I've been a member for a while and own a 2010.5 CVO ultra.  When I bought it new I put on true duels, a ventilator black AC, and tuned it myself using TTS.  It runs great and has for the last 4-5 years.  I don't get to ride it much because of work and I think it has around 5-6k miles.  Now that these bikes have been around for a while, what weaknesses have turned up and what should I do now before one of these weak links lets go?  I plan to retire in the next year or two and the mileage will go up a lot.

I love the bike and never plan to sell it.  I have have a 08 dyna WG and 98 road king I share mileage with.  I would have waited before buying it but when I saw the black models I had to have one.

JoeVibe

• 1K CVO Member
    • TN

• CVO1: 2022 CVO Road Glide Limited
    • CVO2: 2014 Titanium/Black FLHRSE6
Re: I own a 2010.5 CVO ultra and have a question about "weaknesses"
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2015, 05:20:36 PM »

Lifters and cam bearings are pretty common issues. Take a look at this thread

http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=100201.0

I've had two friends locally lose their engines due to lifter failures, one on a 2009 and the other on a 2010.

Don't know how common it is but I've heard the older heated grips can be a problem too.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2015, 09:27:16 PM by JoeVibe »

ssls6

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2015, 09:29:02 PM »

Thanks for the response.  I can see the new SE lifters and found the part number.  What about the cam bearings?  What should I be looking for....do they have a name I can use to find a part number?  I also saw comments about a new oiler/gaurd for the primary cover...I guess to fix a compensator running dry.

JoeVibe

• 1K CVO Member
    • TN

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2015, 10:03:55 PM »

Thanks for the response.  I can see the new SE lifters and found the part number.  What about the cam bearings?  What should I be looking for....do they have a name I can use to find a part number?  I also saw comments about a new oiler/gaurd for the primary cover...I guess to fix a compensator running dry.

My 2013 is my first CVO and it came with upgraded lifters and cam bearings. Most of the folks here recommend S&S lifters and I've read that you want "full complement" cam bearings, do a search in the twin cam area and you'll find more info than I can give you.

Harley has a new compensator oiling "system" that glues to the primary cover but I don't have any experience with it.

I had GMR Performance in Keller,TX hop up my engine and they have a system called "Compensaver" that they put in my primary. It bolts into the primary and looks more efficient to me. I attached a picture of the Compensaver.  GMR has private labeled lifters too.

T-Roy

• Elite CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: 2013 CVO Road King - Traded In
    • CVO2: 2019 Indian Chieftain Limited
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2015, 08:39:34 AM »

Even though the 2013 SE lifters were upgraded, if You are changing lifters I would recommend going with GMR or S&S premium. I have a 2013 CVO with a little over 26,000 miles on it but I really do not trust the lifters to make it much longer. GMR is scheduled to do some mods to my engine on February 26th, including changing the lifters to his GMR lifters. I will report back how the 2013 lifters look when they are pulled out of my engine.

ssls6

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2015, 11:00:13 AM »

Great info...thanks.  I'm not too far from Keller.

JoeVibe

• 1K CVO Member
    • TN

« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2015, 11:04:32 AM »

Great info...thanks.  I'm not too far from Keller.

I traveled over 700 miles to work with Steve, others have gone much further. If you're close you really owe to yourself and your bike to talk with GMR.

CVO2FIXUP

• 1K CVO Member
  • Canada Eh!!!
    • ON

• CVO1: 2010 CVO Ultra Classic Riptide Blue.
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2015, 03:29:53 PM »

While its apart for the lifter change, make sure you measure your crank run out. My 2010 was out 9 though and killed the tip of the crank and damaged the stock oil pump as a result of the crank end wobbling in the pump. Thank god we caught in time, Had to re and re the crank. Now it less than one though out. Running gear driven cams. Very smooth.
I may be a head of cabbage, but I am ahead of you!!

Page created in 0.161 seconds with 22 queries.