Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: SE 37980-10 clutch discs  (Read 3090 times)

bxbutch

SE 37980-10 clutch discs
« on: March 30, 2015, 07:34:09 PM »

I was considering buying a  SE 37980-10 clutch but a friend told me they can produce clutch drag was wondering if anyone had experience with this set up thanks Butch

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
Re: SE 37980-10 clutch discs
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2015, 09:36:55 AM »

Have those clutch plates on my '07 for about 10k miles.  Don't recall the exact details but the after install the tech explained that there is an additional plate in this kit vs stock which requires the removal of a spring - not the big main spring of course but some other spring. :nixweiss:  What this means is that the clutch felt 'grabby' to me with very little friction zone.  It was almost like it was on or off.  I even stalled the motor a couple times taking off when I first rode the bike.  But after a few miles it seemed to settle in (and/or I got more used to it) and now it is just fine.  So drag, no definitely not.  I like it.   :2vrolijk_21:

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2015, 07:29:29 PM »

I was considering buying a  SE 37980-10 clutch but a friend told me they can produce clutch drag was wondering if anyone had experience with this set up thanks Butch

Properly installed these disc's work fine...

Most common cause of clutch drag is air in the hydraulic clutch line (causing the plates to not fully release) or slightly overfilled fluid level, causing the discs to stick.
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

jpb

• Full CVO Member
    • MD

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2015, 10:03:30 AM »

Have those clutch plates on my '07 for about 10k miles.  Don't recall the exact details but the after install the tech explained that there is an additional plate in this kit vs stock which requires the removal of a spring - not the big main spring of course but some other spring. :nixweiss:  What this means is that the clutch felt 'grabby' to me with very little friction zone.  It was almost like it was on or off.  I even stalled the motor a couple times taking off when I first rode the bike.  But after a few miles it seemed to settle in (and/or I got more used to it) and now it is just fine.  So drag, no definitely not.  I like it.   :2vrolijk_21:

Ultrafxr hit the nail on the head.  The concave damper spring at the bottom of the pack gets eliminated and the narrow friction disc is now replaced with a full width ring.  It does eliminate a little of the friction zone.  I noticed just as he described.  Feels a little grabby?  I got used to it in no time and love the clutch.

Page created in 0.302 seconds with 22 queries.