Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Scored cylinder wall  (Read 4154 times)

Lance0964

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • AB

Re: Scored cylinder wall
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2019, 08:13:41 PM »

The compression addition is the torque plus. The pipe is far more influence on the shape and torque production throughout the curve.
I got a Bassani Road Rage B1 2-1 Exhuast on my bike. It seems better than stock, but I’ve no comparison with other pipes.

Lance0964

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • AB

« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2019, 08:17:38 PM »

In regard to the Carbon build up on the piston crowns, thats due to the breather system in operation from the factory, fit an external breather/catch can and that will reduce it.

That’s a good idea. I did see engine oil in the throttle body. Maybe I should try that. Thanks

HD Street Performance

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2019, 09:52:12 AM »

Truth be told your pictures don't look that bad. There is evidence of being hot however. A little of the coating off the skirts is normal, the carbon is not excessive, a few minor scratches you can not likely even feel. Blowby is bad ring seal and that is the root cause of issues along with the tune. The venting to the outside is a band aide. Taking the cylinders and having them properly honed in torque plates square and true to proper size and hone pattern seals them right up. Then a tune that isn't on the bleeding edge of lean or too much timing and all the issues go away and these motors can lead a long life as long as the lifters are changed as a maintenance item.

Lance0964

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • AB

« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2019, 12:23:56 PM »

Truth be told your pictures don't look that bad. There is evidence of being hot however. A little of the coating off the skirts is normal, the carbon is not excessive, a few minor scratches you can not likely even feel. Blowby is bad ring seal and that is the root cause of issues along with the tune. The venting to the outside is a band aide. Taking the cylinders and having them properly honed in torque plates square and true to proper size and hone pattern seals them right up. Then a tune that isn't on the bleeding edge of lean or too much timing and all the issues go away and these motors can lead a long life as long as the lifters are changed as a maintenance item.

Thank you for the input. I didn’t realize the cylinders are bad until I brought them to a local shop for measuring in order to fit the 10.5:1 pistons. The guy told me better to get .010 over size pistons which I did. I’m now waiting for the cylinders to be bored and honed. S&S lifters are on the list for sure.
Can I use a can map from fuelmoto to start the bike after bolt everything back, then ride it to the shop for dyno tune?

HD Street Performance

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2019, 12:48:29 PM »

Very seldom are standard pistons going to work well. The bores distort due to design, overheating and other issues. This is not wear. I would start it. Check for leaks and noises. Then straight to a tuner that understands how to break them in and control heat. This is not wailing on them right away. There is a lot of low speed tuning and starts and stops. The process breaks them in fast if the bore and hone are right.

Lance0964

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • AB

« Reply #20 on: April 08, 2019, 10:13:30 PM »

Very seldom are standard pistons going to work well. The bores distort due to design, overheating and other issues. This is not wear. I would start it. Check for leaks and noises. Then straight to a tuner that understands how to break them in and control heat. This is not wailing on them right away. There is a lot of low speed tuning and starts and stops. The process breaks them in fast if the bore and hone are right.

Appreciate your advice. I will do so when I get my cylinders back.

MCE

« Reply #21 on: April 13, 2019, 03:09:11 PM »

.005 over pistons usually are enough to get rid of the imperfections and make them straight
and round. You can hone .005" out fairly easily. I generally don't even put them on a boring
machine unless I'm taking out .010 or more.

It's a PITA no matter how you slice it. I have Two boring machines (Quik-way FN and an FWS).
FWS for small cylinders and the FN for large bores.

I still hate boring cylinders but it's a necessary evil. People want a one-stop shop for machine
work, so I'm stuck doing them.   

HD Street Performance

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #22 on: April 14, 2019, 12:12:46 PM »

Happy to take any bore and hone job. Even the lower volume stuff. I have a CV616 Sunnen, their gauging, and a Kwikway bar. I make plates for any job I don't already have them for and have a good selection already. My base plate was set up to accommodate from small bore 883 all the way up to M8 big bores. I use drop in adapters to accomplish that.  Here is an example, M8 on my buddies CK10.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2019, 12:14:54 PM by HD Street Performance »

MCE

« Reply #23 on: April 14, 2019, 02:23:10 PM »

Have all ya want. It's a mindless task, I only offer it as a service to my
cylinder head customers as a courtesy. I don't waste my time doing them
otherwise.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2019, 11:27:58 PM by MCE Performance »

Lance0964

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • AB

« Reply #24 on: August 21, 2019, 04:24:30 PM »

Finally got my bike dyno tuned in local dealer. Here is the chart.
The max torque is OK to me, but the curve is not that flat like the similar build I saw on this forum. Not sure if I need a larger TB or try out some pipes in other brand...

hawgzilla

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #25 on: August 22, 2019, 08:28:45 AM »

That tune has a long way to go to be even close.   Seek out a real tuner. 

Mr. Warlock

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited - unnamed
    • CVO2: 2011 Softail Convertable "Bourbon Betty" - Traded
    • CVO3: 2005 SE FatBoy - Sold
« Reply #26 on: August 22, 2019, 08:33:01 AM »

That tune is horrible, sorry but truth. There is no way anyone can tune one of these things in only 6 runs.
Lived hard and fast, laughed harder than humans have a right to and continue to do so.

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 SESG,
    • CVO2: 2004 SEEG Pumpkin,
    • CVO3: 2002 Police Roadking, Maudie and Maybelle Slayer
Scored cylinder wall
« Reply #27 on: August 22, 2019, 01:34:39 PM »

Sorry that you have to endure this,

The Wide open pull is the easiest of the tuning and this sheet doesn’t even show a flat fuel line.   You may also have wheel slippage and/or clutch slippage

That graph should me smooth not choppy - if this is what you got back ask for your money back as you didn’t get what you paid for.   

I’d be scared to let them have another go at this - you are fairly lean in the mid range RPMs for a wide open pull vs 13.0 or 12.8

This is the basics that they didn’t get right
« Last Edit: August 22, 2019, 01:37:50 PM by Unbalanced »
HBRR Florida Chapter,  STILL - The Fastest Chapter - Proven yet again Bikeweek 2017

Lance0964

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • AB

« Reply #28 on: August 22, 2019, 07:44:41 PM »

Thank you guys for the comments.

Unfortunately, this is the only local place that able to tune with PV. 

I may have to travel a couple hundreds miles to get it done properly...

Yellow09SERG

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: FLTRSE3 YELLOW!!
« Reply #29 on: August 22, 2019, 09:09:25 PM »

Thank you guys for the comments.

Unfortunately, this is the only local place that able to tune with PV. 

I may have to travel a couple hundreds miles to get it done properly...

Spend the money to take it that couple hundred miles. That money will only be a drop in the bucket compared to what you just spent to rebuild a top end
Most great stores start with a bad decision
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.161 seconds with 25 queries.