Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Installing 14" Handle Bars on 17' CVO SG  (Read 2638 times)

RivRaptor

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CA

Installing 14" Handle Bars on 17' CVO SG
« on: June 18, 2019, 11:37:20 PM »

Started install by removing seat, gas tank, lock cover, front fairing cover, front blinker assy, fairing mount bolts then tilting fairing forward to expose triple clamp & bar assy.  Removed controls & zipped tyed them over engine area, then I removed the upper triple clamp. (3 bolts & soft hammer)  My bike is in a wheel chock and working by myself so I went this way to install the new SE mount bushing.  (another way would be to just turn the front tire side to side to get to the bolts under the upper triple clamp). I also snugged up the goose neck bearings while I was there.  Re installed triple clamp with new handle bar mount bushings.  Then the really fun part was fishing the wires through the bars.  I ended up using a construction grade string fished through a tiny socket to get the string with a knot on the end to get through the bars then taped the wires as small as possible and pulled.  I failed many times before I got them through.  Thank the Lord I didn't have heated grips.  Some may want to buy pre wired bars. 
2017 CVO Street Glide-Dark Slate Candy & Artic Black

Sometimes it's the people who no one imagines anything of that do the things that no one can imagine

RivRaptor

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CA

Re: Installing 14" Handle Bars on 17' CVO SG
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2019, 11:39:05 PM »

Scary

Sometimes it's the people who no one imagines anything of that do the things that no one can imagine

RivRaptor

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CA

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2019, 11:44:35 PM »

After my first go over I decided to buy longer brake and clutch lines, but after I had to order them from HD and could not even get the same lines I decided to take another look and im glad I did by making a small notch in the harness cover assy I was able to re-route the brake line through it here by creating more slack by routing the line much higher & it looks stock.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2021, 01:30:24 PM by RivRaptor »

RivRaptor

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CA

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2019, 11:46:10 PM »

Installed in wire loom
« Last Edit: June 18, 2019, 11:49:01 PM by RivRaptor »

RivRaptor

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CA

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2019, 11:49:53 PM »

Out the front of the loom
« Last Edit: June 19, 2019, 12:27:00 AM by RivRaptor »

RivRaptor

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CA

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2019, 11:55:36 PM »

Only had to unplug some connectors & move them around the lines then plug back in as to not to have to disconnect the clutch or brake lines and achieve the best possible routing. 
« Last Edit: June 19, 2019, 12:26:21 AM by RivRaptor »

RivRaptor

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CA

« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2019, 11:58:34 PM »

Apon re Installing the bars I only had to loosen the line bolt enough to change the angle of the line & retighten, no bleeding. 

RivRaptor

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CA

« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2019, 12:02:27 AM »

The lines seemed to follow the bars well on their own but I tucked them tight behind the bars anyway.  The left side had room, but the right side to get the same look I had to Dremel a groove in the fairing cover...cant see it and lines hide nicely behind the bars.

RivRaptor

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CA

« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2019, 12:03:38 AM »

Right side

RivRaptor

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CA

« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2019, 12:06:03 AM »

Finished

RivRaptor

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CA

« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2019, 12:20:33 AM »

BARS 14" $285 LA Choppers
Wire extentions (HD) & SE bushing kit (Urethane) around $100

Used my HD dollars at the dealer and saved $125.  It covered the little stuff and tax! I did use the HD wire extensions even though people say you could untie and re-route.  Wanted to do that with the lines also but the real bummer is you can't get the matching CVO lines in extended version I have black ends braided steel with smoke covers.  They only had lines in chrome or black unless you go aftermarket.  (And the HD lines are only for 12" technically). Glad I stayed with my original lines they look great against the chrome.  my stock bars were black.  Whole job took me 6hrs one night (pulling wires) & another couple hrs rerouting lines & reassembly.  Very happy with the results! 
« Last Edit: June 19, 2019, 12:31:36 AM by RivRaptor »

kevin_n

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • WI

• CVO1: 2016 SESG
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2019, 07:16:48 AM »

Looks good. Nice work with moving the lines. I have been debating changing my bars but am scared of the wiring part.

RivRaptor

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CA

« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2019, 01:59:15 PM »

Pulling the wires through the bars was definitely the worse part, a couple of hrs of cursing as the wires would get half way through then get stuck.  I even had some electrical conduit lube & it would still hang up but I eventually got them through & I didn't even damage them!  Places like Hill Counrty Custom Cycles sells bars with the wires pulled already, I was just to cheap and figured I save some money.  Next time I might have to reevaluate that last statement!

kevin_n

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • WI

• CVO1: 2016 SESG
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2019, 11:11:51 PM »

That is were I am at. A few hundred for bars and doing the wiring myself or spend over a grand for hill country's prewired ones. Will probably opt for the cheaper way, if I can ever muster the courage lol.

RivRaptor

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CA

« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2019, 01:41:10 PM »

Follow up.  Well love the bars its like riding a new bike, still can't believe I waited almost 2 years but.....coming down from the local mountains breakfast ride I saw a dip coming up so lifted my ass up in anticipation of a bottom out and in the coarse of hitting the dip the bars moved.  Damn!  I Have heard these higher bars are susceptible to movement in certain situations but I was confident I had them good & tight.  Well pushed them back but could tell they were gonna keep doin it now.  So, again not wanting to order an expensive new clamp came up with a way to mod the existing clamp.  I would drill & tap & install set screws.

Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.143 seconds with 21 queries.