Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Author Topic: Advice on riding the Million Dollar Highway  (Read 4337 times)

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
Re: Advice on riding the Million Dollar Highway
« Reply #30 on: May 12, 2011, 11:42:16 AM »

There's also a good road for riding near the Mesa Verde area...take 145 out of Cortez, stop at Telluride for a lunch or just to look around, then 62 over to Ridgeway, 550 back into Ouray, Silverton, and into Durango.

Dallas Divide is on 62, if memory serves me...some great views of the mountains to the South.
On another day, you could head out of Durango to Pagossa Springs, then South to Taos on 84/64, from Taos on backroads to Sante Fe.  Again, if memory serves me, the drive/ride on 84/64 takes you through Carson Forest on some good, sweeping roads.  If you have ladies with you, they would LOVE Sante Fe...hell, I love it too.  Lots of neat places to eat/drink, and the Native Americans display their handmade jewelry on the Plaza every day starting about 9AM, where you can get the real thing, and can dicker with them a bit on prices.  Just have cash.
You'll need a whole day at Mesa Verde...some of the dwellings you can walk to, or walk a path that allows you to view them from a few hundred yards away, but others can only be visited by Park Ranger guided visits.  It really is something not to be missed if you're in the area.
As has been mentioned...take a good camera and have some spare memory cards for it, 'cause you'll be filling some up.

If you're going to be there for two weeks, there are Jeep rides out of Ouray that take the old mining roads up into the mountains.  Unless you are really good at 4 wheeling, I'd get with one of the professional rides...those guys know the roads and they are somewhat trecherous.  Yankee Boy Basin is one destination for the Jeep Rides...the waterfall there is on the Coors beer can.  It will probably be too early for the wildflowers up high, but you're likely to see some at the lower elevations.  Yankee Boy Basin:

Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

20 gauge

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 03 FXSTDSE
    • CVO2: 07 FXDSE2
    • CVO3: 09 FLTRSE3
« Reply #31 on: May 12, 2011, 12:17:39 PM »

Kinda nervous. Six weeks ago the c-15 Caterpillar in our 09 Newell let loose and had to be pulled. No small deal. On the road again. Assured the failure was a one in a million deal.

Coach and trailer is 77' long, kinda a burden in close quarters.

Finally, because of some poor life choices, I now live with emphysema. Dr. told me not to stay for prolonged periods above 4k feet. Have not let the disease control my life and I have been 10k numerous times. Just haven't had to live for 2 weeks above 7k. No prescribed oxygen and want to keep it that way.

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #32 on: May 12, 2011, 02:23:36 PM »

7 K shouldn't be a big problem.  Things don't get dicey until 8K plus, and you'll have time to acclimate if you're going to be there for 2 weeks.  Takes your body about 2 days to produce the additional red blood cells. There is some medication...I can't remember the name of it...that you can take that helps your body produce more red blood cells. You might ask your Doc about it. It's some kind of relatively common med.  I've taken it before backpacking above 8K...it helps.  Molas Pass (10,900), on the Million Dollar Hwy, is as high as you'll get unless you do the Jeep thing. There is a scenic overlook there, but you don't have to walk much to see good views. Just drink a LOT of water...more than you think you need, and don't wait until you get thirsty to do so...it's too late then.  Move slowly when walking, and if you feel light headed while walking/moving, stop and let your body catch up.  I"m probably not telling you anything you don't already know, but I've done some backcountry hiking at 12-13K, so have some experience at higher altitudes.
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

Dr.D

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 SEDFB Sunrise Yellow and Black Quartz
    • CVO2: 2014 CVO Limited silver/orange
    • CVO3: 2015 Indian Vintage Custom 57 Chevy Blue
« Reply #33 on: May 12, 2011, 02:47:54 PM »

I will be out that way in August and really looking forward to it. I have been there before in a cage but this will be the first on a bike. I may have missed it but which road Is the Million Dollar one?

They call our Cherahala Hyw by the same name out here in East TN.

Talon

• Life is like a jar of jalapenos, what you do today may get you in the a$$ tomorrow!
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #34 on: May 12, 2011, 03:10:22 PM »

Million Dollar is hwy 550.

Pegus

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: FLSTSE2
« Reply #35 on: May 12, 2011, 03:22:37 PM »

Not only do we receive costly advice on mods, now we also have add expensive travel plans to the list of things to do.  :)
Amazing pictures!!
Don't postpone until tomorrow what you can do the day after that. Ride on!

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #36 on: May 12, 2011, 03:30:18 PM »

I will be out that way in August and really looking forward to it. I have been there before in a cage but this will be the first on a bike. I may have missed it but which road Is the Million Dollar one?
They call our Cherahala Hyw by the same name out here in East TN.

Type in Million Dollar Highway in Google and....

http://www.google.com/search?q=million+dollar+highway&hl=en&prmd=ivns&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=3zPMTa3vHu3RiAL9xr3oAg&sqi=2&ved=0CBkQsAQ&biw=630&bih=337

Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

Dr.D

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 SEDFB Sunrise Yellow and Black Quartz
    • CVO2: 2014 CVO Limited silver/orange
    • CVO3: 2015 Indian Vintage Custom 57 Chevy Blue
« Reply #37 on: May 12, 2011, 03:48:15 PM »

Thanks guys we will be on that road.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Page created in 0.442 seconds with 22 queries.