Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Questions about the extended warrenties  (Read 971 times)

Biskit

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • GA

Questions about the extended warrenties
« on: August 22, 2019, 04:02:56 PM »

Not sure if this is where to post this.can someone explain the different extended warrenties.im looking at the 5 year.she said it tire to tire 50 dollar deductible.does this cover stuff that the 2 year Harley warranty doesn’t cover.is it worth the money to get these warrenties.thanks for any help

skratch

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE2 Roman Gold/Burnt Emerald
Re: Questions about the extended warrenties
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2019, 06:07:11 PM »

if you can get a copy of the contract, it will explain what is covered and what isn't.  if you get the tire and wheel warranty coverage, it covers road hazards that cause damage to your tires and/or wheel.  if the tire has more than a specified amount of tread left, you get a new tire.  subject of course to your deductible.  some people have made out with this coverage, while others, not so much.  i had the 5 year extended (2 yr + 5 additional) and i never once got to use it.  there are also additional coverages that begin immediately, like towing, trip interruption with lodging and food, etc.

also, if you do any kind of modification that impacts factory warranty, it will also impact the esp.  things like decatted head pipes, tuners, etc.

i know with the twin cam 110 engines, it was almost a given that you would need to get the esp. as that engine was problematic with lifters, etc.  though by the same token, i never used the esp on my bike, and it had over 43,000 miles on it when it got totaled earlier this year.  the se m8 engine is still an unknown variable at this point.  if you ride 10k + miles per year, odds are in your favor that you will need the esp.  even if you don't ride that much, you may still benefit from it.

you need to realistically look at your situation.  are you going to keep this bike for the long haul, or trade in a couple years?  keep it stock, or modify it?  ride on weekends, or a daily driver?  all of that will have an effect on your decision.
I understand the concept of reality, but find it too confining as a way of life

Biskit

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • GA

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2019, 07:06:59 PM »

Thank you for the input.i think just the peace of mind of having it will help.

SDCVO

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • 19 CVO RG-12 CVO RG
    • CA

• CVO1: 2019 Mako Shark Roadglide
    • CVO2: 2012 Maple Roadglide
    • CVO3: 2019 BMW K1600 Grand America
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2019, 11:36:26 PM »

I bought it on my 12 CVO Roadglide and even though I put a S&S 124 in the bike a year later the ESP still payed for itself very quickly after the factory warranty covering items other than the motor (Tranny, multiple compensators etc.). Obviously I have a great dealer that tries to cover things instead of trying to not cover them. Warranty just expired a few months ago and I figure I netted a couple of grand when it was all done-
Alan

Threephase

• Elite CVO Member
    • TX

• CVO1: 2017 CVO Streetglide Starfire/Atomic Red
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2019, 11:35:45 AM »

Also of note, if a bike is red flagged by Harley for a voided powertrain warranty during the initial 2 year manufacturers warranty, it will void the powertrain warranty with your extended warranty as well. If you get past the 2 year manufacturer warranty then you are home free for modifications. So if you plan to mod your engine and forego the 2 year manufacturers full warranty, then an extended warranty is of no value to you.
People call me Left. Because I ain’t Right.

CVODON

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 15 FLTRUSE
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2019, 07:10:43 PM »

I have never bought an extended warranty or ESP on anything. Also luckily never needed one or at least never had an event that has cost me even as much as the warranty would have cost. I know some think they are great and swear by them. Some of the stuff, tire & wheel deal for one I don't understand at all. If you run over something that damages a tire, just buy a tire, less costly than the warranty for sure. If you damage a wheel which also probably damaged your tire, then file a insurance claim. It would cost me $250 for my deductible which is again less than the warranty cost. Not knocking those who find the ESP a good deal, just never seemed a good investment to me. And don't be the guy who says insurance won't cover damaged tires and wheels, I PAID those claims for 27 years before retirement. They do cover them. But they don't cover nails or screws, just impact damages.

Designflaw

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • KY

• CVO1: 2017 CVO Street Glide
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2019, 10:43:35 PM »

I'm on my 2nd Harley. Bought it both times, 1st biker paid for itself with 600 miles in. Hit a pallet at 75. Replaced wheel tire, bearings, rotors, fork seals.
2nd bike CVO,  bridge abutment, 1100 miles, new rim and tire.
Is a negotiable product. I have paid 60% of asking price each time.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

2017 FLHXSE CVO Sunburst Orange/Starfire Black
Performance: HP 99 TQ 121
Stage II = HD Torque Cam SE8-447
Rinehart Slimline, 4" Cans
HD Tuner w/ Wideband module
Screaming Eagle Front Fork internals, Tuned Rear

Appearance:
Blacking out all chrome and bolts. (Work in progress)
Custom color matched carbon fiber parts
HD Passing Lamps and LED lamps

Biskit

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • GA

« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2019, 04:57:02 PM »

Well I went ahead and got the 5 year warranty.its peace of mind.hopefully I won’t ever need it

r0de_runr

• Elite CVO Member
  • Officer Scott Noller RIP, 01/04/1989 - 12/28/2017
    • TX

• CVO1: 2019 Ultra Limited 114
    • CVO2: 2022 Heritage 114
    • CVO3: SOLD: 2014 Ultra Limited; SOLD: 2012 CVO Street Glide, SOLD 2016 BMW
    • Wichitagreg
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2019, 06:54:45 PM »

Well I went ahead and got the 5 year warranty.its peace of mind.hopefully I won’t ever need it
New bike or used bike?
If a used bike, and not modified probably a good deal.
On a new bike, probably not so much a good deal. If a '17 or newer you must be very careful of modifications or you will void all warranties.

You can get 100% of your money back if you CXL the contract within 30 days.

Greg
formerly WichitaGreg
Lives in the TX Hill Country
AKA r0de_runr
Explore your VA Benefits:  http://1.usa.gov/1NPzKkM

Bungy

• Senior CVO Member
  • Keep your stick on the ice
    • AB

• CVO1: '08 SEUC annie
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2019, 07:52:33 PM »

Not sure if this is where to post this.can someone explain the different extended warrenties.im looking at the 5 year.she said it tire to tire 50 dollar deductible.does this cover stuff that the 2 year Harley warranty doesn’t cover.is it worth the money to get these warrenties.thanks for any help

Best money I ever spent! Got the initial 5 yrs then another 5 yrs when that ran out. Without a word of a lie it has saved me over $50000!
I used to have a handle on life, but it broke.

Biskit

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • GA

« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2019, 09:02:10 PM »

It’s a new bike.

Page created in 0.153 seconds with 21 queries.