Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Unbelievable Handling  (Read 2797 times)

BDMastiff

• Full CVO Member
Re: Unbelievable Handling
« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2013, 03:32:52 PM »

Great post and video.  I always enjoy watching folks ride that know how to handle a big bike (key word is watch).  How do you get to Carnegie Hall?  Practice. 
I believe that same principle would apply here, too.

All of us are capable of doing that.  It's not difficult if you know the basics.  Use the friction zone, rear break, throttle, sit forward on your seat & look where you want to go.  The most important part is to have confidence.  It's basic physics and you won't drop your bike if you know how to put all the pieces together.  That said, I couldn't ride it as fast as the cop in the video but I could hold my own against most riders.  Perhaps I need more confidence. :D

Trapperdog

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2009 ST1300 Police
    • CVO3: 2006 ST1300
« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2013, 07:59:27 PM »

All of us are capable of doing that.  It's not difficult if you know the basics.  Use the friction zone, rear break, throttle, sit forward on your seat & look where you want to go.  The most important part is to have confidence.  It's basic physics and you won't drop your bike if you know how to put all the pieces together.  That said, I couldn't ride it as fast as the cop in the video but I could hold my own against most riders.  Perhaps I need more confidence. :D
Ah, somewhat akin to the alchemists dream. It is true though that with instruction and practice it can be done well. However many of the competition motor officers are professional coners, they even have coach's that tell them if they're spotting late or early, measuring the track temp and adjusting tire pressure for the temp and asphalt condition, etc.. If you have ever taken a big bike like ours through a full course like that you would know that it can't be done slowly. On that particular course the officer is at full lock, full lean through most of the turns. You slow down, you go down. Some courses are more wide open and can be run at a slightly slower speed. Practicing various cone patterns on your own is much different than running a full course at speed. If you lack the confidence, you probably lack the experience. Not saying that you can't do it, you just need to try it if you haven't already before you discount that officers talent. Since you have an interest and said talent, you ought to take an RLAP or other slow maneuverer class, as should everyone. After street riding, racing motocross etc. for over 37 years at the time of my first class 5 years ago, I gained a tremendous of manuvering knowledge there. Besides, it's a heck of a lot of fun.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2013, 08:43:22 PM by trapperdog »

JustDennis

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 FLHXSE Spiced Rum
    • CVO2: 2005 VRSCSE Light/Dark Cherry
    • CVO3: 2008 Ford F150 Harley Edition - Supercharged
« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2013, 01:11:06 PM »

Amazing! I would like to be able to do that, maybe I'll rent a bike and take a course. Wouldn't want to learn on mine!

My sentiments exactly!  I was planning on taking the RLAP course this year but reconsidering since I just got a CVO.  Maybe renting one is the ticket.
Ride Safe,
JustDennis
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.127 seconds with 22 queries.