Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 12

Author Topic: Newbie Rider Fails Motorcycle Class Riding Test  (Read 8978 times)

blondeharleygrrl

• Junior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
Practice
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2006, 12:44:12 PM »

Yes, you are right, the MSF and DMV motorcycle riding tests are very different.  I have the online information regarding the DMV riding test, so I know what I need to practice.

Cigarmike wrote "Im not going to lie, the turning inside a box was hard on this pocket rocket, 1/3 of the this class failed. but I was in a class that had some no experienced riders in it...."  Most of the riders in my class had never ridden before.  Everyone was wowed that I had some practice under my belt with the V-Rod.  Then I failed the test using the Nighthawk 250.  Talk about ego-deflating!

"After the test results, I jumped on my CVO, and did the test course at neck break speed, and aced it including the figure 8 etc. The instructor got pissed at me, yelling that the insurance wouldnt cover me blah blah blah, lol, he rides a honda, so I gave him a break...."  too funny!  

Cigarmike wrote "Problem with a permit, you cant ride at night Julia, and you cant have a passenger, at least in cali its that way, so ernie zap cant ride with you....."  

It's the same restrictions in GA.  I don't feel ready to ride on the highways or at night anyway.

Interesting.  I didn't know Ernie liked to ride as "back warmer".  You learn something new everyday.  :-)

Have a great day! Julia

I love to ride the rod!  V-Rod that is!

pumkinownerswife

• Elite CVO Member
Re: Newbie Rider Fails Motorcycle Class Riding Tes
« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2006, 12:58:20 PM »

Julia, Can you rent a bike in GA without a license ? Florida you can't and you must have one for a year I think. I know you mentioned renting one for the test. Just thought you might want to check and see.

[smiley=carrot.gif]
Helen

Boatman

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited
    • CVO2: 2010 SEUC-accident victim-gone
    • CVO3: 2005 SEEG-traded on 2010
« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2006, 01:17:50 PM »

I guess my wife was fortunate that when she did not pass the 1st time with HD's Rider's Edge,  they let her take it a 2nd time n/c (unlike Julia's experience with Honda's).  Don't know if it is up to the individual dealer to decide.  Her downfall was being tired at the end of the day in 100 degree heat on asphalt.  Like other's have stated, many in her class were older fellows that had ridden all their live's with no m/c endorsement.

erniezap

• Global Moderator
  • 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 SEUC - Black/Orange
Re: Practice
« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2006, 01:19:58 PM »

Cigarmike wrote "Problem with a permit, you cant ride at night Julia, and you cant have a passenger, at least in cali its that way, so ernie zap cant ride with you....."
2012 Black/Orange SEUC

Chief

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #4-3/8
« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2006, 01:27:01 PM »

I took the MSF class at the same facility as BHG, and it is not associated with a dealer.  The couse is taught at the Honda Riders Academy in Alpharetta, GA.  It is a top-notch facility with two dedicated courses, so two groups can be on the course at the same time.  

The facility is right next to the Honda distribution facility, so new scooters are very near.  The MSF instructors are brought in as necessary, so they change week to week.

Several students in my class also failed, and they are invited to come back and take the class again. Retesting is not an option.

Cheers!

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #20 on: December 11, 2006, 01:39:49 PM »

BHG,
I mentioned in the other thread, and I'll add it here also. If at all possible check out the test site (DMV) on Saturday/Sunday after hours and ride there course if possible. Practice there so you will be ready for "their" test. I have no doubt you can pass this and will be riding w/us at our next CVO GTG. [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]

BTW - If you pass I'll let you take me for a ride on the V. Hell I'm already riding (how did you put it) "back seat warmer" on V's when she gets that "outfit
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

CVOwner

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #21 on: December 11, 2006, 02:32:34 PM »

Practice, take it till you pass. Nuff said.
2004 SEEG Orange/Black
When all is said and done, there'll be more said, then done!

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
« Reply #22 on: December 11, 2006, 04:12:40 PM »

BHG, so sorry to hear that you were unsuccessful in getting your certification from your MSF course.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2006, 05:51:16 PM by ultrafxr »

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

RedFXR2

« Reply #23 on: December 11, 2006, 06:01:43 PM »

cigarmike

« Reply #24 on: December 11, 2006, 09:26:16 PM »

There is always the 'Star Wars' method of learning, thats how I learned @ 12............get on the bike, close your eyes, and when in doubt , always throttle up...................May the force be with you, young blondeHarleyGrrl

TheVgirl

• 1K CVO Member
  • Hold on bro! Life is one heckuva ride.

• CVO1: 2005 VRSCSE Two-tone Electric Orange and Black
    • CVO2: 2005 FLHTCSE2 Sunrise Yellow Pearl and Stingray Silver sold
« Reply #25 on: December 11, 2006, 09:35:36 PM »

Ok, I've read everyone's response and don't know what to say, how to say, or if I should say anything at all, BUT (there's always a BUT) after reading Jerry's post, I'm going to take a chance at getting butchered (or possibly supported by JC, AK, and Silver-Black) and maybe even hurting your feelings, Julia.
~TheVgirl~  2005 VRSCSE Two-tone Electric Orange and Black

"The shortest distance between two points is a straight line, but on a motorcycle you want to take the longest way to get there."  - Jerry "Motorman" Palladino

cigarmike

Re: Practice
« Reply #26 on: December 11, 2006, 09:37:47 PM »

To both Julia and Mike:

cuthbertss

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • red bikes..lots o red bikes

• CVO1: 2005 FLHTCSE2 (Red!)
    • CVO2: 2001 FXDWG2 ( way red!)
    • CVO3: 2005 Ford F350 HD True Blue Metallic
« Reply #27 on: December 11, 2006, 10:02:37 PM »

BHG,
I mentioned in the other thread, and I'll add it here also. If at all possible check out the test site (DMV) on Saturday/Sunday after hours and ride there course if possible. Practice there so you will be ready for "their" test. I have no doubt you can pass this and will be riding w/us at our next CVO GTG. [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]

BTW - If you pass I'll let you take me for a ride on the V. Hell I'm already riding (how did you put it) "back seat warmer" on V's when she gets that "outfit

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #28 on: December 11, 2006, 10:05:02 PM »

THIS I GOTTA SEE
I will chip in for both outfits...
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

cuthbertss

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • red bikes..lots o red bikes

• CVO1: 2005 FLHTCSE2 (Red!)
    • CVO2: 2001 FXDWG2 ( way red!)
    • CVO3: 2005 Ford F350 HD True Blue Metallic
« Reply #29 on: December 11, 2006, 10:15:43 PM »

Julia:

I just read Vs words..and if i were you..id take em to heart...  
spend the 250...  go again....mebbe try the Riders Edge instead..
no sense being pennywise and pound foolish...
i wont point out the ambo ride thing, but i will point out that bikes are unforgiving..as is oncoming traffic...  and the possibility of putting a hurt on Dirk....
I have a good friend I ride with out here in the mountains... she exhibits many of the habits V Girl is talking about; and i see the potential for danger ; and on several ocassions have had to have a converstaion at the top of a mountain pass...  she rides..  at her pace..and she is getting better....  but she is learning the hard way.
in fact, this has inspired me to encourage her to take the Exp Rider Course. i may even take it with her..why not?  all training is good training.
I am trying to get a seat in the NWU Motor Officer Course...  I hate writing tickets.but hell, if thats my payback for that training then ..speeders beware...I will be a ticket writing mofo.....
that 80 hours in the saddle...  in a demanding environment..but i will be a much better rider on the way out... so its worth every second ( and every penny of the county's money) of it.

Scot

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 12

Page created in 0.165 seconds with 21 queries.